The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
New Pedal stoke. Wampler triple wreck
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

New Pedal stoke. Wampler triple wreck

I picked up a wampler triple wreck distortion pedal a few weeks ago and I feel like my search for the perfect distortion pedal is over. I have been looking for a distortion that can deliver classic and modern high gain metal distortion. I stumbled across the triple wreck and my ears perked up. I wanted something that would have a thick but clear distortion. Most pedals I have tried sound overly fizzy and more noise then tone. The triple wreck sounds like metallica or any classic 80's metal band. I am able to actually sound like i can shred with this pedal. There is something about the low end that brings out the pick attack which I believe is making my playing more accurate. It is also the perfect compliment to my tube screamer and Laney amp distortion. The boost is cool taking the pedal into a very convincing fuzz territory which is an added bonus. I am also able to get some more vintage distortions as well by playing with the knobs. It has a very wide range of tones. The price is steep but I think it's worth it because it is a very musical pedal. anyway. I'm pretty sure it will stay on my board forever. Love love love.

Wampler Pedals | Hand Made Boutique Guitar Effect Pedals | Amp In A Box | Triple Wreck
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Nut

I've been interested in this pedal for a long time. While there are a lot of you tube clips on it, I haven't see as much forum activity on it over the years as other pedals, it seems.

I did end up trying the sovereign, and it would've been the perfect distortion pedal for me and the modern tones I'm after, if it didn't bass clip thru my setup. It did it thru different amps and two different sovereign pedals, and no other pedal has done this using my rig.

Then I forgot about the triple wreck and, in the meantime, the MXR super badass distortion caught my eye recently and will likely be my next purchase.

Which again bumps the triple wreck, but I see it in my future one day.

If you've played a real triple rec before, how close does it get? Some you tube clips seem to get it in the ballpark, but it's hard to judge by those.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

i used to play at a rehearsal studio that had mesa triple rectifiers. To me its close enough. I think the triple wreck nails the tone. Its thick but sings.

I think the lack of forum talk is due to the price. Its pretty damn expensive for a distortion pedal. Its definitely not just for metal tones. I think its versatility and authentic tone make the price well worth it. It also responds musically IMO. I know that's a vague statement, but I feel like it goes with my playing no matter what I do.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

Awesome, thanks, it stays on the wish list.
Old 28th October 2013
Here for the gear

Wampler makes some of the best gear on the market and Brian is a nice guy to boot. I just got his Ego Compressor and Tweed 57. Both are way beyond looking into

Sent from my LGL55C
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

i have been playing with the triple wreck a lot in the last few weeks. There is a huge range of distortion. I feel like I can get a pretty convincing marshal tone on the hard setting. Love it. What kind of compressor is the EGO. Optical? fet? I wish I had a blend knob on my diamond comp.
Old 29th October 2013
The Wampler stuff is great, and their amp in a box products are top notch. Been thinking of picking up the Plexi...
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear
Wampler Pedals are a top shelf pick.
The Triple W is one of the most intense, articulate, high gain pedals, the Pinnacle is great but the Triple is more intense.
The Pinnacle was formed to be a magic JCM800, the Triple is meant to hit a Triple Rec gain structure.
Wampler pedals will not wash out your tone, they are very transparent to the guitar tone, very articulate, and morph well with others.

Do yourself a fav the Triple is not a cheese pedal, the others will soon get boring. If you like to have a high gain pedal on hand because well they are fun as hell. The Triple is suburb. Pay attention to the manual, the boost circuit is a fuzz which lays on the norm dist voicing. The one control only works on the boost contour when on. Wampler makes probably the best drives and high gains, they stay on your board and that is quite a task for me as I am changing pedals constantly.
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Maniac

I've been interested in these "amp in a box" offerings from Wampler, but question for those of you who have the triple wreck, how do you set up your gain staging? Do you put it in front of a clean channel setting, or just use some of the pedal's power to juice up a slightly dirty amp channel? How does either approach compare sonically?
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolipsist View Post
I've been interested in these "amp in a box" offerings from Wampler, but question for those of you who have the triple wreck, how do you set up your gain staging? Do you put it in front of a clean channel setting, or just use some of the pedal's power to juice up a slightly dirty amp channel? How does either approach compare sonically?
I would check out the manual if you get a chance. There are lots of great tips. I run into the clean channel. I do not like how the pedal plays with other distortion. The triple has plenty of gain on its own IMO. When I plugged in the dirty channel of a PRS H head, the tight distortion lost its focus a bit. I think it works best when its doing all the dirty work. I have been running my triple wreck after my diamond comp and RC booster. I love the way the compressor works with the triple wreck. The RC boost sort of does the same thing without any compression but I don't find myself using both at the same time. I give a tiny bit of treble/volume boost from the comp which brings out a little more hair on the triple wreck. I keep the gain on the triple wreck at about 2 o clock. The contout on the boost on the trip wreck is around 9-10 o clock so that when i kick it on it makes the pedal sound a bit like the gain is at 4 o clock.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolipsist View Post
Any really high gain pedal is made to use in front of a clean channel. You can ask who you like Brian will tell you the same. Overdrives are more for dirty channels or breaking up a channel near breakup.
A high gain pedal is made to mimic the sound of a uber gain amp and must have a cleaner basic foundation from which to work properly. Even the Tweed type pedals or Blackface drive are made more for cleaner channels to allow the pedal to alter the tone structure to the other amp's structure.

A distortion pedal is not an overdrive, if you want tube gain use the overdrive if you want the pedal to manifest its design use a cleaner foundation. I suspect the dislike of some for pedals is more so do to not dialing them in properly or running them into the right amp tone.
The Triple W is perhaps the most intense uber gain articulate pedal there is, when you engage its fuzz boost circuit it goes over the top in a sort of imagine Gilmours most intense Muff tone, you do not want that running into a an already distorted channel, it will be a mud fest of bad distortion mush.
Many have made a career out of using a strong wattage amp set cleaner and using pedals to manipulate the tones for more fuzz and pedal gains.
Sounds better.
Many of us use combinations of pedals but to this day if I want to hear the sound of a great pedal gain I go to a cleaner channel.
Old 1st November 2013
Gear Maniac

thanks for the responses!
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear
Glad to be of some help. I am sure someone will disagree at any time. Seems like everything in the world has become some sort of opinion and no right or wrong. Not really. When the designers like Brian Wampler state how they designed a pedal it sort of becomes relevant, Any cool uber gain pedal will sound great on a nice clean channel but not into a gained up one. An overdrive is very versatile they have uses clean or dirty and even make the high gain sound better by pushing it, intensifying and often tightening up the gain structure like they do on an amp. Using an overdrive on a gained up amp allows you to roll off the drive a little on the amp and use the overdrive to push it into breakup and higher gain, the result is always a better sounding high gain. Pedals can be marvelous fun enhancements if used right.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search