The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
What slide do you use?
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

What slide do you use?

I have started to incorporate the use of a slide into my bands set, only on a few songs though. For years I have gravitated toward the Dunlop 212 stainless steal slide. I use it on my ring finger and although it is not what I consider the perfect one for me, it gets the job done. So tell me about yours.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

i love the dunlop tapered brass slide. its called the harris slide

this looks cool!!

Dunlop Manufacturing :: Accessories :: :: Concave Brass Slide
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I often wonder about a curved slide, guess I'll have to test drive one to find out. Also I lied, it's the 220 chrome steel that I've been using. Since seeing the Allman Brothers again last month, I've been trying to step up my game in the slide department.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I use a plain Dunlop steel slide, with about 3/8" cut off so the end of the slide is right at the end of my ring finger. Makes it easier to fret notes with my pinky. I also have a Dunlop 203 glass slide I use for a softer tone, it's about 3/4" too long, and I haven't been able to find anybody who would chance trying to cut down the Pyrex. I also have 4 or 5 other steel slides of varying thicknesses, but the steel Dunlop is my main choice.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Devrish, how'd you cut it off? I would say that the length of my slide is longer than I would like, but it's shorter comparable slide from Dunlop has a fatter opening.
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

I use a JetSlide. http://www.jetslide.com
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have a porcelain slide (Rev. Willy's Mexican Lottery Brand) that I like because the inside stays dry and not slippery. It is not as bright sounding as brass or chrome but sounds better than glass to my ears.

I also have a Moonshine ceramic slide that is very similar.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I used a pipe cutter to mark around the tubing and cut through the chrome, sort of like scoring a finish before pulling an acoustic bridge. Then I worked my way around with a fine hacksaw blade, turning the tubing to keep the cut straight. Then touch it up with a file.

Too bad I can't do that with Pyrex.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
Dunlop 212 Brass

Mudslide 263 Porcelain

Jim Hoolahan 288 Glass

The Hoolahan slides are getting difficult to find as they've been discontinued, I think.

ns
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

Joe Perry Ceramic Short/Small slide on my pinky or middle finger. Soooo much more control with a short slide!

I have a dunlop harris slide and chunk of copper pipe I'll use in the studio if I want more of an edgy tone, but 19 out of 20 times, the Ceramic one works.
Old 17th October 2013
Deleted User
My favorites:

Jim Dunlop Pyrex 212
Shubb RR1

http://www.shubb.com/steel/
Old 17th October 2013
I play a lot of bottleneck and I prefer a few slides. I don't like tapered slides and I don't like slides that are too light. I like old medicine bottles the best. Like the ones Duane Allman used. I put felt in it to help the weight mass and for a tighter fit.

I also like straight brass slides if I'm traveling a lot. I prefer brass to chrome sound wise. Metal is good because it won't break and cut your finger when you reach in the bottom of you bag.

For a pinky slide I use the top of an old medicine bottle. It's a great fit for my hand, has some weight and sounds great.

I don't like shorty slides because I also play delta slide. Like the slide to easily cover 6 strings.

For glass slides I also have a little case for transport. Head shops sell them to protect glass pipes, but they're perfect for a slide.

Check these guys out:

http://www.rockymountainslides.com
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

my current fave is a homemade, heavy glass slide made from a particularly thick wine bottle. I also carry a heavy brass one in case the glass one gets smashed, but so far it hasn't. The tone of a glass slide seems noticeably different than a metal one, to me.
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Interesting.
Which one do you use?
Brass. I like it a lot, plays as good as any of the slides i've had.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Back in 89 when my dad died I was cleaning out his workshop a found a cigar box full of coricidin bottles ( pre safety cap type ) filled with finishing nails, small tacks, pop rivets etc. which quickly emptied into the trash, so I have a life time supply though I have never broke or lost a single one. I also have and use for different sound a Plexi glass tube, Softer/darker sounding than glass, An old short ring type Blue Slide, and I use a craftsman spark plug socket much of the time. I use an old slack key flat 1 3/4 inch bar type slide for lap style playing, heavy weight chrome plated steel. I built a wooden foam lined compartmented box to keep the glass stuff in.
Old 17th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by litepipe View Post
I play a lot of bottleneck and I prefer a few slides. I don't like tapered slides and I don't like slides that are too light. I like old medicine bottles the best. Like the ones Duane Allman used. I put felt in it to help the weight mass and for a tighter fit.

I also like straight brass slides if I'm traveling a lot. I prefer brass to chrome sound wise. Metal is good because it won't break and cut your finger when you reach in the bottom of you bag.

For a pinky slide I use the top of an old medicine bottle. It's a great fit for my hand, has some weight and sounds great.

I don't like shorty slides because I also play delta slide. Like the slide to easily cover 6 strings.

For glass slides I also have a little case for transport. Head shops sell them to protect glass pipes, but they're perfect for a slide.

Check these guys out:

http://www.rockymountainslides.com
I meant for pinky I use the top of a wine bottle. Great tone!!
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have two of those Rocky Mountain slides for lap steel.

They are very nice.
Old 17th October 2013
I've been using a stainless (seem to recall it as Dunlop) 3/4" x 2-3/8" slide on my little finger. I started with the ring finger -- but it cuts down on flexibility and fingering options so much that I forced myself to build up the muscles enough to use comfortably on my pinkie.

That said, I'm going to be augmenting my slide collection to include at least one heavy glass and, possibly, a lighter, Pyrex-style slide for electric work.

I liked the stainless for a long time, I guess I didn't mind the noisiness. (Did I think it sounded soulful? 'Authentic'? I dunno... now it just hurts my ears and makes me feel clumsy. heh )

Anyhow, glad to see this thread because I need to break out of my habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepipe View Post
I meant for pinky I use the top of a wine bottle. Great tone!!
One of my 3DW pals was showing off his home made slide collection (he's a wine fan and there seemed to be some kind of connection for him between the wine and the slide, very, uh, interrelated, Hermetic, I guess ) on FB the other day and it got me going... maybe I just need to get a glass cutter. I don't drink any more but I live by the beach and, well, lots of people do...
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
Brass. I like it a lot, plays as good as any of the slides i've had.
He makes lefties to order, so thats good know.
I may give one a try sometime.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys! I'm liking everyone's suggestions. I forgot that a few years ago I went to a guitar and amp show in Raleigh and I remember these guys had a booth there: Mr. B's Bottleneck Guitar Slides / Sustainable Glassworks I just couldn't see myself dropping $40 - $50 on a slide. But they seemed to be well made.

How many use them in standard tuning? Open G, open E? I've only been breaking it out on 2 songs and I stay in standard. It's a country band and I'm still trying to get familiar with the genre. Although being modern country, it's mostly re-hashed rock we're playing in my opinion.

Rich Robinson is a personal favorite of mine and around the house, I've always gone to an open G when I retune the guitar. Also a big Warren Haynes fan and you can't talk about slide without mentioning Derek Trucks too!
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I take after Rory Gallagher, so that means everything--open and standard tuning, capoed up, pick and fingers and straight finger style. Also David Lindley, since I have the Supro lap steel, how could I not?
Old 18th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish Riff View Post
I take after Rory Gallagher, so that means everything--open and standard tuning, capoed up, pick and fingers and straight finger style. Also David Lindley, since I have the Supro lap steel, how could I not?
Huge Rory Gallagher fan, here. But I've never really tried to scale the glass mountain of trying to play like him. I just let it wash over me and hope some of the good stuff sticks from time to time. I fell in love with the Tattoo album and from there became one of the faithful. (It didn't hurt, perhaps, that I had long hair and already -- like any good SoCal boy of my late 60s generation -- habitually wore plaid, flannel shirts. )
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

YouTube's been a big help. Since Rory didn't read music, some of what he does falls outside of normal theory and will trip you up. I don't do much of the ragtimey acoustic stuff, but I'll do Banker's Blues and Grape And Barley Rag once in a while.

Plus, once you can play Rory's music, most other stuff is easy (well, except for Crimson and Zappa).
Old 18th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish Riff View Post
YouTube's been a big help. Since Rory didn't read music, some of what he does falls outside of normal theory and will trip you up. I don't do much of the ragtimey acoustic stuff, but I'll do Banker's Blues and Grape And Barley Rag once in a while.

Plus, once you can play Rory's music, most other stuff is easy (well, except for Crimson and Zappa).
Rory wasn't quite as big on complex time. heh

Rory's certainly been a big influence -- I'd just bought my first slide when I got Tattoo -- but I've just never been one to learn other folks' parts and arrangements. More an absorber than a study-er.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I've used several different slides over the years, and have yet to settle on one particular kind. But I'm not a slide player, so when I do pick up a slide, I'm usually looking for something to do a specific task and am not really interested in a jack-of-all-trades-type of slide. That being said, I've used a copper pipe, neck of a wine bottle, side of a beer bottle, mic stand, my pocket knife, Shubb DS-1 dobro slide, a Dunlop 234 tapered Pyrex slide, and a deep socket. My favorites are the Pyrex tapered slide and the deep socket. The Pyrex for general work and the deep socket for tons of sustain and some added scratchiness. The deep socket is a bit hard to wield, however, as it ways a LOT more than any of the others.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

I use sparkplug sockets from the autoparts store. Just like heavier strings produce better tone than super-slinky strings, the mass of a sparkplug socket makes a better tone (to my ears) with more sustain. Cost you about $4.
Old 19th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hicks View Post
I use sparkplug sockets from the autoparts store. Just like heavier strings produce better tone than super-slinky strings, the mass of a sparkplug socket makes a better tone (to my ears) with more sustain. Cost you about $4.
I tried a socket wrench sleeve one time. I had to pack it full of cotton because the sharp knurls inside dug into my fingers. Not a great choice. heh
Old 19th October 2013
I can only use Dunlop Chrome slides for some reason. I don't use any open tunings though, all standard.
Old 20th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebakanezer View Post
Thanks guys! I'm liking everyone's suggestions. I forgot that a few years ago I went to a guitar and amp show in Raleigh and I remember these guys had a booth there: Mr. B's Bottleneck Guitar Slides / Sustainable Glassworks I just couldn't see myself dropping $40 - $50 on a slide. But they seemed to be well made.

How many use them in standard tuning? Open G, open E? I've only been breaking it out on 2 songs and I stay in standard. It's a country band and I'm still trying to get familiar with the genre. Although being modern country, it's mostly re-hashed rock we're playing in my opinion.

Rich Robinson is a personal favorite of mine and around the house, I've always gone to an open G when I retune the guitar. Also a big Warren Haynes fan and you can't talk about slide without mentioning Derek Trucks too!
I use a varieties of tunings: standard, Open D, Open G, Open C to name just a few.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search