The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Taylor acoustic guitar for studio (mic/pickup question)
Old 4th September 2013
Here for the gear

Taylor acoustic guitar for studio (mic/pickup question)

Hi! I'm looking to buy a good acoustic guitar, and I've found I like the Taylor guitars quite a bit. I've tried a few guitars og different brands, and liked the cheap taylor guitars better than the expensive martin guitars. Thing is though, I'm a little worried how good the mics and pickups are in the different versions, and I have no experience with these whatsoever.

What kind of models would you recommend, and how expensive is it to change mics/pickups in a guitar? Any recommendations for a decent priced guitar with a GOOD microphone/pickup-setup?

Not interested in paying much more than, say, 1500 USD. (Keep in mind, I live in Norway, and everything is more expensive here!)
Old 4th September 2013
Subscribed.
I'm in a similar situation myself
Old 4th September 2013
Gear Nut

hello!!

I own a Taylor mini, and although it has a small body, it sounds bigger than most expensive guitars...really great zone!! it costs around only 500€...so there would be plenty of budget left for a classy pickup system... although I hope you dont want to use pickups for studio... sounds muuuuuch better with microphone!! but I guess you know this

cheers!!
Old 4th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidalwave View Post
hello!!

I own a Taylor mini, and although it has a small body, it sounds bigger than most expensive guitars...really great zone!! it costs around only 500€...so there would be plenty of budget left for a classy pickup system... although I hope you dont want to use pickups for studio... sounds muuuuuch better with microphone!! but I guess you know this

cheers!!
I have the big baby Taylor and that sounds pretty good too. I agree using a microphone in front of the guitar sounds much better. Blue Dragonfly and Rode NT55 (omni capsule) come to mind...along with the Neumann KM 184. Recording acoustic with a pair of Rode NT55 (card capsules) in XY configuration sounds pretty good.
Old 4th September 2013
Taylor DN3
Old 7th September 2013
Here for the gear

Well naturally, I use a microphone in front also, but I´ve tried a few great guitars with great internal microphones and pickups, and they are just fantastic to blend in with the mic in front. That´s what I´m ultimately aiming for here. I find myself rarely completely satisfied with only the one mic in front; makes me do too much tweaking to end up with what I like to hear.

I have a rode mic, which i just LOVE for acoustic guitars. It´s a tad sharp in the highs, which most acoustics really need IMO.

So, am I the only one who likes doing this in the studio? Keep the suggestions coming =)
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear

I don't know what the used market is where you are, but the better bang for the buck is always a used Taylor. I bought my 815CE for $1500 used. This guitar kills any 500 series and under. I'm partial to the older Fishman pickups. The expression isn't bad, but you will get more variance with the Fishman. Also an older guitar has time to age, has hopefully been set up well and in general, if you get them at a good price and decide to sell it a few years down the road, you will get your money back or make a little. If i were to walk out of GC with a new 800 series Taylor, at their prices, I would lose at least $700-$1000 as soon as I left with it.
L.
Old 7th September 2013
I know it's not in your stated price point but I own a 914CE and love it! I've used it on countless recordings and it's hands down the most even acoustic guitar I've ever played.
Old 8th September 2013
Gear Head

I play a 614, an 816, a 914 and a 916, as well as a GS Mini. From the 700 series up you get rosewood & spruce...the 314ce is a nice choice as well, sapele and spruce, it's brighter and a bit livelier sounding than the rosewood models, as well as a great deal less expensive.

The DN-3 is also a very good choice, as are the big baby and the GS mini...it all depends on what kind of price you can get and if you can find an all solid wood model used. The older Taylors with the Fishman electronics are more flexible, but for recording I'd definitely put a mic in front of the guitar...no onboard electronics are going to beat the sound of a good mic.

The one Martin I would recommend, if you really like the Taylor feel, is the performing artist series. The dread cutaway is the DCPA-4 to start, goes up to the 1 plus. The orchestra is the OMCPA-4 up to 1. The 4's run $1399 new at Guitar Center in the US, 3's are $1699...there's a used DCPA-4 on guitarcenter.com right now for $799, Taylor guitars tend to hold their value a little better for comparable years, vintage Martins can go for pretty crazy money. The performing artist models have the Fishman aura system in them, which gives more options than the Taylor expression system, but they sound pretty similar. Just a heads up on them in case the electronics are a sticking point for you.
Old 10th September 2013
Here for the gear

Reading all you opinions, I'm starting to wonder whether a mic in front 'should' be enough, and my personal recording preferences could be altered a little. If a good internal mic bumps up the price too much, maybe I ought to drop the "line" way of going altogether. Maybe even getting a second good mic-in-front is the better way to go. Thanks alot for your input, I'll certainly look at all your suggestions!
Old 10th September 2013
Lives for gear

For what it is worth, I own a 410e from 2006. I love the ES, but I doubt I would ever record with it. I may run it through an amp and mic that along with a mic on the guitar, but even the nicest internal electronics are no real substitute for a mic out front.

I would suggest getting the guitar that sounds the best to you unplugged.

From what I remember, the ES is a $500 upgrade, and you should be able to go up a level and get a real heirloom guitar for $1500 (especially on the used market)
Old 11th September 2013
Gear Head

For reference, a mint 614ce came into my local guitar center today, they had it marked at $1479 used. A friend hooked up the price for me down to well under $1000, so I got it as a gift for a friend. Great guitar.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search