The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A Damn Good, Damn Cheap Acoustic...
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

A Damn Good, Damn Cheap Acoustic...

well... under $200... whaddya think... I'm still a fan of the Yamaha Student Classical Models...
Old 20th July 2013
Gear Nut

today I played a Tanglewood tw28 at the store and I was blown away. sound is very comparable to old Japanese ibanez or yamaha guitars, but softer tone. may not be for everyone but I think I'll go back for it.
Old 20th July 2013
Gear Nut

Look for a deal on a base model Cort or Seagull acoustic. I've found both to be generally decent instruments but affordable perhaps because they must compete with the big names.
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

I picked up a nice 60's Silvertone parlor guitar for a friend for less than $100. Red and black 12 fret in perfectly playable shape. Think Robert Johnson.
Old 20th July 2013
Gear Maniac

RecordingKing reviews hold their guitars in high repute. Haven't personally played any but the kudos are near unanimous.
If used is included old Ibanez are dirt cheap and stupid good.
Old 20th July 2013
Gear Nut

Can usually find Seagull's used for under $200. They are generally very nice. I LOVE my Simon and Patrick that I have. It has lived a rough life, but sounds beautiful for under $200.
Old 20th July 2013
Add another big fan of Yamaha's for cheap acoustics, really nice instruments.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

I would suggest to the OP, any Seagull guitar you find under $200 is going to be trashed in some way.
Old 21st July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearAndGuitars View Post
well... under $200... whaddya think... I'm still a fan of the Yamaha Student Classical Models...
Yamaha makes the best low priced acoustic guitars imho.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Yamaha makes the best low priced acoustic guitars imho.
Older Alvarez models are an incredible value.
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Maniac

I found a mahogany solid top Sigma for $170 that I'm very happy with. It's no Martin but sounds classy and projects very well. With that said, it does have a bit of a belly, but my tech says its far from being a wall hanger.

I'm also very fond of the Seagull S6 I inherited from my grandfather. I have seen a few being sold for less than $200 but who knows what condition they were really in. I would recommend saving up the $400 or so to buy a new one or looking for a used one in great shape versus trying to find an awesome guitar for $200. My two cents.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Boss View Post
I found a mahogany solid top Sigma for $170 that I'm very happy with. It's no Martin but sounds classy and projects very well. With that said, it does have a bit of a belly, but my tech says its far from being a wall hanger.

I'm also very fond of the Seagull S6 I inherited from my grandfather. I have seen a few being sold for less than $200 but who knows what condition they were really in. I would recommend saving up the $400 or so to buy a new one or looking for a used one in great shape versus trying to find an awesome guitar for $200. My two cents.
People loved those Sigma's in the 90's and they weren't bad for the $$.

Seagull seem to have excellent QC. I took a chance and bought a blemished S12 cedar top online once and found it to be an incredible value. I can't say I recommend that approach with higher $$ guitars of course, but for a $600 (I paid $300) I was delighted with the build quality and tone. Did I get lucky? Possibly. But I feel Seagull's QC is very tight.
Old 21st July 2013
Tanglewood tw28
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

It depends on what's available in your area, if one of the local stores sold a bunch of Yamahas and Alvarez, that's what you're going to see used--and you'll be lucky.

I live in a college town, and stuff comes from all over, along with clueless college students. The last acoustic I bought was a Charvel 625C A/E in a hardshell case for $100.00, needed set up, but turned out to be a pretty nice utility guitar.
Old 22nd July 2013
The old japan aria and ariana acoustics from the 60's and 70's are very nice for the price. They often have solid tops and sometimes have brazilian rosewood sides/backs.

I was given a late 60's japan made ariana a588 classical and it sounds very nice. Not as nice as my takamine c132s but better than most the new stuff out there today.
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear Guru

I started teaching myself guitar on a repaired 60's Sears Spanish Guitar, I got from my
wife's sister for $15.00 Replaced the broken machines with a way better set, re-glued
and clamped the neck back to the body and tah day, playable guitar with aged mahogany.
Incredibly warm. Used it on a bunch of recordings even after buying better guitars.
Old 22nd July 2013
I'll second the Seagulls - just about anything that comes out of Godin's various brands/factories punches well above its weight.

Yamaha is always a reliable standby when it comes to inexpensive instruments though. Where they might suffer slightly in the tone department they more than make up for in reliability and QC.
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear Guru

This is what happens when you lock yourself up in the basement too long

This maniacal musical adventure started with that Sears Gut String.

Tracked into a Tascam 488. This is a rescue cassette with slight speed fluctuation issues.

Vocal is deliberately demented and tracked through an AKG C-1000, into
my Digitech Valve Fx guitar processor, clean tube patch. into an Alesis 3630
and a ART FXR Elite for mild slap back reverb. A virtual dream list of home recording mediocrity. :-)

Listen to the guitars. The classical guitar in the mix is the Sears.

Old 23rd July 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
I started teaching myself guitar on a repaired 60's Sears Spanish Guitar, I got from my
wife's sister for $15.00 Replaced the broken machines with a way better set, re-glued
and clamped the neck back to the body and tah day, playable guitar with aged mahogany.
Incredibly warm. Used it on a bunch of recordings even after buying better guitars.
My mom had an unbranded classical guitar from the early 60s from when she was a kid, most certainly ordered from Sears or Spiegel (sp?), that she was going to sell in a yard sale recently or $2 (WTF?) I put a new nut on that sucker and it plays and sounds great. Plywood and a PITA to string up but a joy to play.
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Older Alvarez models are an incredible value.
I have a 1990 Alvarez. It is a great guitar and records rather well.
Old 23rd July 2013
Gear Guru

On mine, the wood has actually seasoned enough to sound pretty good.

Unfortunately the neck is starting to pull away from the body again and having it fixed
right is not a priority at the moment.

Ask Unclenny about Stella! He's recorded tons of stuff with it.
Old 23rd July 2013
Gear Guru

Hang out at estate sales or go to senior housing complexes and put an add on the bulletin
board. "I Buy Old Guitars"
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear
You might be able to get a used epiphone masterbuilt for that and they are great guitars.
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Ask Unclenny about Stella! He's recorded tons of stuff with it.
There's a name you don't hear often...Stella.

I bought a Stella Strat copy in Spain once; pretty decent little guitar. Better than the Squier's at that time (mid 80's). It was a Stella Hurricane.

Unclenny has mentioned the love for his Stella acoustic a number of times.
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Guru

The 90's Epiphone Acoustic Electric Cutaway is laminated, so it has kind of a boxy sound,
but the neck is fantastic and it works great for a beater take out acoustic.

Mine was $500 new with hardshell case, no clue what used go for today.
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear
The Recording King Dirty 30's models are supposed to be pretty good. I can't remember offhand what wood they use for the back and sides but I believe they have solid spruce tops. You can probably find used Alvarez Artist series, Recording King, Seagull, and a few others for $200 that would be of good quality. I recently bought a used Recording King ROS-06 (triple 0 size) for $175. One of the best playing and sounding fingerpicking guitars I've ever played. Seriously.
Old 26th July 2013
Here for the gear

See if you can find something b-stock. If you don't give a damn about some finish defects you'd be surprised how much you'll save. Picked up an Alvarez AD30CE for $250 instead of $420 and it's served me well since.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search