The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best guitar cables?
Old 30th April 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I guess my response would be, so what? What does that even mean, the cables were used to tow cars and still worked? I know of a light bulb that burned for 50 years does that mean all of them do?
I already use good cables so I seriously doubt if there is any audible difference on my rig so once again your opinion is a huge insulting load. I was speaking of comparing the higher end cables, above a certain level there cannot be much difference if any.
As usual Dr. Confrontation, sort of like arguing who clogged the toilet.
It goes to durability. If you want cables that are RELIABLE you'l want something that can withstand extreme abuse.

OTOH, if you don't care if your cable dies in the middle of your big gig, by all means, purchase cheap crap (or overhyped expensive crap, I don't care.)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Many of the better independent pro audio stores buy various Belden cable in bulk and will sell by the foot. My local store does although I'm not certain what types they have in stock right now.

It would also be possible to get a bunch of people together to do a group buy of a roll.
John what do you think is the best overall cable for holding up, sound etc, that isn't breaking the bank and comes ready to go without having to assemble?

TH
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
I love George L's. It's all I use anymore. I'll gladly take everyone's "junk drawer extras" off your hands!
I'll agree the are a bit overpriced, and the Belden is stiff. Still like em and use em.
A flood of former George L owners are filling their shipping boxes with much-hated cables as I type this. You can expect them soon.

I still have a couple of solder-less cables on the pedal board. Evidence Audio's version, which, even though it's far superior to George's, isn't making me sleep better at night and cuts out occasionally. These *can* be good products but it takes care to construct the cables. Lava Man (I think it was) had a good video explaining a more reliable process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
A flood of former George L owners are filling their shipping boxes with much-hated cables as I type this. You can expect them soon.

I still have a couple of solder-less cables on the pedal board. Evidence Audio's version, which, even though it's far superior to George's, isn't making me sleep better at night and cuts out occasionally. These *can* be good products but it takes care to construct the cables. Lava Man (I think it was) had a good video explaining a more reliable process.
BRING IT ON!! I've been using L's for about 6 years. We use them in 30 foot runs for our Bose stick PA in one band; I run my mixer to powered speakers with them; all of my instrument cables are L's; all unbalanced studio cables are L's. I assemble them correctly, check tightness regularly, and almost never, in 6 years, have I had a problem.

The few times I did, I got out my multitool, recut a clean end, and had a new cable in one minute. The key is a clean cut, full insertion and tight screws (yeah, still talking about cables )

PM me. I'll Paypay for shipping.
Old 30th April 2015
Here for the gear

IMHO the best guitar cable is the one that ticks all the right logic boxes based on the appropriate science and common sense without going off with the cable fairy to drink the snake oil... ;O)

Guitar Cables Explained

Cheers,

Marc.
Old 16th February 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Man, finally I'm seeing someone speak up about the gouging going on for coax cable. There has to be some company out there that can provide stranded center, shielded cable that works with the George L solderless jacks. I see the GL cable going for $2.20 a foot. That is a lot of money for cable I know is costing them pennies on the dollar. So, I am in search for .155 diameter cable that is not at gouging prices. And why is it that a company like GL is in my opinion ripping off poor musicians? I guess because they can. But I know there is cheaper cable out there. Of course, I'll still have to pay for GLs jacks.
📝 Reply