The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Active Boost Strat???????
Old 1st July 2013
Gear nut

Active Boost Strat???????

I am approaching the finish line on my partscaster and I am trying to figure out how to wire it up.

What I would like to accomplish is having a master volume, master tone and a boost knob. I really like the boost that is in the Clapton Strat but I do not care for the TBX portion. So my question is, what value pots and caps do I need? And is there a boost circuit out there that is like the Clapton without the TBX?

I am trying the GFS '62 Overwound Staggered pups and they each measure between 9.0 & 9.8.

I realize a battery is needed and I already routed a battery box on the back of the body near the trem cover.

Simplicity is key to me, as I mentioned, I just want one volume, one master tone and the location of the second tone knob will now be my boost control.

Thanks for any advice, Dan.

Sent from my SCH-I510
Old 1st July 2013
Lives for gear

Do gfs themselves not offer a clean boost? Or you can build a SHO (very simple, google it on gearpage or t d p r I) and mount it in there.
Old 1st July 2013
Lives for gear

This is a nice and simple little circuit that could do what you want. The usefulness of a boost pot might be a bit dubious though.
Old 1st July 2013
Gear Head

I had this on a cheap squier strat once, already came from the previous owner with it and worked great.
Old 1st July 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoGF View Post
I had this on a cheap squier strat once, already came from the previous owner with it and worked great.
That is the circuit I was considering. Any idea how it compares to the Clapton circuit? I like the Clapton boost with the TBX at the neutral middle position (thus the reason why I don't want the TBX control). I understand how the GFS boost circuit works, in theory, with the 5 way rotary dial. But what I don't know is if each of the 5 positions are incremental amounts of dB? Or are they different voicings?

Probably like most everything, I am over thinking things. I do want to try and get a nice result the first time around though.

Any idea what pots and caps work well with the GFS boost for volume and tone?

Sent from my SCH-I510
Old 1st July 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLP View Post
That is the circuit I was considering. Any idea how it compares to the Clapton circuit? I like the Clapton boost with the TBX at the neutral middle position (thus the reason why I don't want the TBX control). I understand how the GFS boost circuit works, in theory, with the 5 way rotary dial. But what I don't know is if each of the 5 positions are incremental amounts of dB? Or are they different voicings?

Probably like most everything, I am over thinking things. I do want to try and get a nice result the first time around though.

Any idea what pots and caps work well with the GFS boost for volume and tone?

Sent from my SCH-I510
Never compared that strat with a Clapton signature so I can't tell you, I had a clapton sig sitting here for some time but it was long since the Squier was gone. As far as I remember I could get a similar tone but the GFS kit was capable of achieving higher gains (I mean really high gains) with low output (~6k) pickups.

Each step on the knob increases the output of the pickup.

The pot came soldered on the circuit board so I think its provided by GFS so I wouldn't worry about that.
Old 1st July 2013
Gear nut

The pot came soldered on the circuit board so I think its provided by GFS so I wouldn't worry about that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the opinions of your experience between the two. What I mean by pots and caps, is for the master volume and master tone. I know the Clapton run boost circuit uses a 25k volume pot, which is a far cry from a 250k or 500k.

From the way I am looking at the GFS boost, is that since it's a self contained pot and circuit that maybe other electronics in the guitar will not affect how it operates.

I just don't want to waste the time wiring and installing everything just to find out the hard way that something was overlooked.

Sent from my SCH-I510
Old 1st July 2013
Gear Head

I had it with 250k for both volume and tone.
Caps: .047 (470 pF) on tone pot and the same on the volume knob to prevent treble bleeding.
Old 1st July 2013
Gear nut

Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I510
Old 1st July 2013
Gear maniac

Old 1st July 2013
Gear nut

Thanks for that John, I found the diagram that I need from that site. The only thing it did not specify was what value the pots and cap are. They did have a diagram for Clapton boost with TBX and without TBX, the latter is my interest.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pro...SS5L12-03.html

Sent from my SCH-I510
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search