The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Boss Bass Synthesizer
Old 9th September 2006
Gear Maniac

Boss Bass Synthesizer

What is this exactly? How about the sound? It´s digital or analog? I´m an guitarist and producer, so it is interesting toy for me? Thank you for your infos and opinions... Do you have any mp3 examples links? It is better for bass synthesis than VSTi´s? So many questions I have ,) Thanks!
Old 9th September 2006
Lives for gear

There's the SYB-3 and the SYB-5. I know the 5 is DSP but don't know about the 3. I remeber there was a brown one (I think) that I liked more than the silver ones. But I like them all, really.

They have synth controls for waveshape, ADSR, but without the A & R (I think... no pun intended either) and some other stuff. Just gotta try them.

Try the Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synth too. I saw an Akai bass synth at NAMM but didn't hear it.
Old 9th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegfried View Post
What is this exactly? How about the sound? It´s digital or analog? I´m an guitarist and producer, so it is interesting toy for me? Thank you for your infos and opinions... Do you have any mp3 examples links? It is better for bass synthesis than VSTi´s? So many questions I have ,) Thanks!
Go the Boss site and listen to the clip there. More than that I do not know.

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/SYB-5/demos.html

Here's the description:

A Fatter, Funkier Pedal for Bassists

The BOSS SYB-3 was the world’s first bass synthesizer to be packed into a compact pedal, and it found favor with experimentalists and tone afficiandos alike.
Today, the next-generation bass-synth pedal has arrived —the SYB-5. Utilizing the latest in DSP technology, the SYB-5 faithfully reproduces the fat and sharp
sound characteristics of classic analog synthesizers.

11 DSP variations of Saw, Square, and Pulse synth waves

Control filter cutoff and LFO rate via EV-5 Expression Pedal (sold separately)

Enhanced Wave Shape Mode provides sharper sounds

Hold notes with the onboard pedal and jam over the top
Old 12th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
There's the SYB-3 and the SYB-5. [snip] Try the Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synth too. I saw an Akai bass synth at NAMM but didn't hear it.
And Korg used to make the G5, which was their version of the same idea: a stomp box that "transforms" the sound of your bass guitar into a stereotypical synth-bass. (Y'know, those farty/squishy MiniMoog patches that pervaded every disco, techno, funk, & pop tune in the 1980's.) Pretty sure that model's no longer available. Doesn't work so well for regular guitar, but for bass it's actually pretty cool...or at least a lot of fun to play. If you can find a copy of the Angora CD I did for BrokeDick Records, there's G5 all over that.
Old 5th November 2006
Gear Maniac

as a bass player who has played these pedals, i will let you know i'm not a fan. while some really cool sounds can be had their tracking plain out sucks. if you can get your hands on a g5 or an akai you'll be much better off. i have also heard good things about the ehx bass synth but haven't gotten a chance to play with it yet unfortunatly

topher
Old 6th November 2006
Lives for gear

i owned one... syb-5

its a hard to control toy really....

imo.. dont bother with it... get some real stuff
Old 19th November 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
There's the SYB-3 and the SYB-5. I know the 5 is DSP but don't know about the 3. I remeber there was a brown one (I think) that I liked more than the silver ones. But I like them all, really.

They have synth controls for waveshape, ADSR, but without the A & R (I think... no pun intended either) and some other stuff. Just gotta try them.

Try the Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synth too. I saw an Akai bass synth at NAMM but didn't hear it.
Wow If they're making the Akai Deep impacet again, that's definitely the one to get, unless you're going analoge.

Way more expensive than the Boss/Ibanez pedals, but worth it!

They were fetching silly money on EBAY a couple of years back
Old 20th November 2006
Here for the gear

The Akai Deep Impact is the one to get. I've owned two of 'em and they kill... great for recording as well as live. They did not reissue. Price has gone up on eBay from about $300 to about $500 in the last year. Yikes! Better get one now while you still can.
Old 21st November 2006

Dang... that's crazy!

Anyway IMHO, next step down is the Ibanez rather than the Boss. The output on th eBoss is a little bit low, and the filtered sounds aren't as good IMHO

Oh, I forgot >>> Electro Harmonix! I've heard damn good things coming out of the EHX. Robert Deleo and Flea use them I believe

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search