The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LOVEPEDAL takes over HERMIDA, the ZenDrive maker...
Old 7th June 2013
Lives for gear

LOVEPEDAL takes over HERMIDA, the ZenDrive maker...

Sean Michael of Lovepedal sent out this email for subscribers.
He has absorbed Hermida Audio maker of the ZenDrive and other goodies.

We are very excited to announce our relationship and representation of
Hermida Audio Technology!

I have known Alfonso for many years. He has always had an ear for great guitar tone and a passion for engineering some of the most sought after products in the guitar industry. His goal is to replicate as close as possible the dynamics and frequency response of the tube sound and then engineer products accessible to everyone from the bedroom player to those playing in front of thousands of fans.
His products and engineering chops are legendary: the Zendrive, Zendrive2, Tiki Drive and Reverb to his full set of compact speaker cabinets in both ported and open back configurations. His customer list includes some of the most demanding musicians out there.

We stand proud to be the sole manufacturer, global distributor and retailer for Hermida Audio Technology products. Our arrangement frees up Alfonso Hermida's time to do what he does best: push the envelope by designing some of the best guitar products.

We have lots of great ideas so get ready for a new era my friends.

Sean Michael - LovePedal

Hand built USA
Old 8th June 2013
Gear Guru

Cool. Maybe my pre-Lovepedal Zendrives will go through the roof in price.
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Cool. Maybe my pre-Lovepedal Zendrives will go through the roof in price.
There will be no difference in look or internals, it is Hermida's pedal not a make over by Sean. What will be interesting is the new things they will come up with.
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Cool maybe now Sean wont have to rip off fellow builders to come up w his circuits.

I've heard amplifiers are based off of amplifier circuits.
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes and the OD11 is a blatant ripoff of the Timmy
I have one and if so, the Timmy is not a great pedal. Rather low level circuit compared to my other drives. If that is a Timmy I am glad I did not go to any trouble to obtain one.

The Kalamazoo is a great drive and a rather unique circuit. Personally I do not care what is a copy, clone or modification of anything, if they improved upon it or gave it a different voicing does not bother me. I dig what Lovepedal comes up with.

I wonder can we actually count the overdrives that are renderings of the tube screamer circuit?
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool maybe now Sean wont have to rip off fellow builders to come up w his circuits.
This is a serious problem with the boutique builder crowd - many of the DIY sites I go on only release basic versions of circuits now to prevent lazy hacks just cloning their circuit. Literaly in days of some designs being released we had people capitalising on the hard work of a community of people ordering old obscure units, sharing research results and schematics.

There are some pedal builders out there charging 100's for maybe 20 bucks worth of parts and minimal design time. And many again are going down the SMD make the PCB in China and box it in America/Europe path. Not exactly the "Ma & Pa" side of cottage industry.
Old 9th June 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
There will be no difference in look or internals, it is Hermida's pedal not a make over by Sean.
So. Someone will perceive a difference.
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Said on a forum where 1073, 1176, LA-2a PE-1C etc. clones are applauded daily.
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its not the same, stealing the circuit was just the beginning. Dont comment if you dont know the facts
Let's ask Mr. Neve what he thinks about the 1073 clones. He has been quite vocal against it.

So what's the story? What did he "steal" besides the circuit? His wife or something?

And I will comment on whatever I like, thank you very much.
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I knew you would say that and you're right of course...but uninformed opinions are not worth much. If you really want to know Google Timmy & Od11 probably come up w a bunch of gear page threads about it. Or send me a pm...
I am we'll aware of the Timmy/OD-11 controversy. I still do not see how it's any different than Chandler or BAE copying Rupert Neve's design.
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some people dont seem to get the Timmy bc the eq is a cut. Personally I think its the best sounding and most versatile overdrive available and its a totally original circuit. Alf must really be desperate, sad bc he is quite talented but hes joined up w a guy who has no scruples. Totally appropriate that Seans fans dont care if he steals other peoples work!
Sean's pedal has a bass and tone but not sure the tone is a high end cut does not appear to be. The Kalamazoo is like that, the higher you turn up the control the more high end it cuts. I dig Sean's work, so many drives are so close sonically to each other even different circuits and it is all dependent on the amp and guitar.
Everything is based upon basic electronic theory and design, seldom, if ever, does one reinvent the wheel.
If you want to build an amp you start off with a basic amplifier circuit and so on.

But often through mimic or tweaking something a better result comes up. Jim Marshall was trying to copy a Fender Bassman amp circuit and out came the glorious accident of Mashall amps.
I have heard a lot of stuff about various builders who claim they are designing original circuits not cloning. I mean a whole lot have to be really similar. It is possible someone built something which compares to another pedal but they had no intent to copy it.
I often played stuff in my band coming up with new tunes and someone would go that sounds like such and such I had had never heard before. So creative things do compare without necessarily intentional copy.

I am not sure what the deal is some have to slander and libel someone how they cannot know is a dubious character who intentionally did anything to steal a design. I mean why would anyone do that and claim it was a new design or original if it were not?? In this age of everyone is envious and slighting of people who are trying to be successul. Myself I recognize the genius of cats like Brian Wampler or Sean Michael and I know I cannot do what they do and if one can do what they do then build something so someone can claim you copied it. Sean clearly notes his MKII germanium fuzz is his version of the Supra ToneBender. I do not get the buckets of mud myself. Seems like a cool guy.
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
So. Someone will perceive a difference.
Yeah, sure that will happen no doubt. Like the new Klon's which are identical.
Some people hear things which do not exist in reality or upon measurement reference. Like Eric Johnson hears differences in new batteries and types of screws in his cabinets.
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
I am we'll aware of the Timmy/OD-11 controversy. I still do not see how it's any different than Chandler or BAE copying Rupert Neve's design.
It's not, really, but no one is saying that selling clones of the 1073 is legitimate either. Bit of a strawman, really.

It's putting people in a bind. The community wants to share its projects so people can do one off builds and show off this circuit to their buddies or to youtube. But if everytime it shares a project it gets hijacked for profit by someone else, who undercuts them in another country (or even their own) they can't do that. So it stops. And eventually the gravy train runs out for both the design guys and the people plagiarising other people's work.

Where would EHX be if everyone just cloned the LPB and Big Muff day one and no one bought directly from them? I doubt you'd see the same business today.
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Noise View Post

Where would EHX be if everyone just cloned the LPB and Big Muff day one and no one bought directly from them? I doubt you'd see the same business today.
There's a reason EHX succeeded DESPITE there being many clones available....it is called MARKETING. It is the same reason Love Pedals are so successful.

I'm not saying it's right, and I'm not defending Lovepedal, nor am I condemning them. God knows, this has already been done to death on TGP and other forums. But unfortunately, in todays business, marketing trumps innovation.

And I am very familiar with the Sean M/Paul C. controversy. And unfortunately, for Paul C, Sean M is much better at marketing. Paul C. may be the better designer, and probably more friendly, and down to earth guy (at least he was very open, yet diplomatic about the situation on TGP), but he is a bit too trusting in todays business climate, where, unfortunately, integrity can't compete with marketing and mass production.

But again, TGP has thread upon thread about this. My OP was simply pointing out the irony that someone is complaining about a "stolen design" on Gearslutz. which is kind of a mecca for promoting the sale and performance of stolen designs.
Old 10th June 2013
Quote:
Dude the new Klons are NOT identical, not even close. One is handmade one is SMT made in China.
The KTR is not made in China. SMT, yes, but it's made in the USA.
Old 10th June 2013
Quote:
wow so those $289 SMT pedals that were missing nuts on the pots, switches didn't line up w the casing, etc were made in US? Who by please so I can avoid their other products
Allegedly that's one reason why there's been a massive delay in getting another run out. Bill wasn't happy at all with the lousy QC so was looking for another manufacturer (obviously he could get one overseas in a heartbeat but he doesn't want to offshore it for whatever reason) - he's having trouble finding a competent US-based builder who can do exactly what he wants.
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe he should team up w Lovepedal
LOL...you beat me to it.

I agree that the GAS thing can get out of hand. I was all in with it years ago, but had a bit of a wakeup call when my band had some gear stolen. It was at that point that I realized that my gear can't define me, and I have to be able to easily replace my rig at any local music store, or use borrowed gear, and be able to go on with the gig.

Nice gear is great, but you should never depend on a single piece of gear, especially one that is not easily replaceable.
Old 10th June 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yeah, sure that will happen no doubt. Like the new Klon's which are identical.
Some people hear things which do not exist in reality or upon measurement reference. Like Eric Johnson hears differences in new batteries and types of screws in his cabinets.
Quote:
And, *I* hear a difference between carbon and alkaline batteries in my fuzzfaces, it has to do w the sag in the power supply of a carbon battery. You might want to try it sometime before you just repeat internet lore as fact. And the part about Jim Marshall, there's a lot more to that as well. I've been doing this nearly 30 years man, I know WTF I'm talking about...

Anyway it will be interesting to see how this deal w Hermida plays out, could prove to be quite telling.
See? I feel better already.
Old 11th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
See? I feel better already.
Gee I was in Semiconductor Engineering for 29 years, I must be an idiot.
If it takes a slight mA current to run a pedal even almost a dead battery presents way more than this level to the circuit. There are differences in the output of batteries, but hearing it, on a unit that has nominal current needs.
The aluminum screws in my cabinets sound different than the steel, yep. Feel better, I wish I did.
Yep, hearing, that is why we do not bother with measurement tools and instead of pink noise and frequency analyzers to properly EQ balance a room we can just listen.

Hear that?? Voices of the dead are talking.
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
well you could smugly theorize, or you could try it and hear for yourself. It's well documented and not that hard to hear, maybe I got the technical explanation wrong but it's not a myth and not the same as the material screws are made of, that's a new one for me, and a total red herring. In fact several of the pedal power supplies on the market have a sag feature that drops the output to anywhere from 5-7V DC instead of 9, to mimic the effect that a carbon battery has *in that particular fuzzface circuit*

Again, not my first time around the block....
I've measured a few batteries in my day. If I had a 9v that was 5-7v I'd change it. The dying battery thing is a facet of some fuzz units and most modern power bricks offer "sag" circuits. Having tested Energizer's and Duracell's quite a few times the Energizers tend to output a stronger more higher level of current mA than the Duracell but the voltage reads the same on new ones. Never seen a new fresh battery have less than 9v and the mA threshold for those circuits is very minute. If one is an experienced player I cannot imagine why in this day and age they are using batteries. I've seen Trower use batteries but that is because Fulltone can hum and pop very easily on good supplies.

I think the point I was making was that people hear and see **** all the time that is not really there. Measurements are what they are. Eric is known for hearing **** somewhere in the paranormal range.
The battery thing is moot thing for me anyway as none of my pedals have batteries in them and I have not used a fuzz in decades. By the way been playing almost 40years, I've been around the block and down the highway a few times myself.

As for hearing the difference in batteries, reminds me of the old Hendrix thing and his tech, he was going through a box of Fuzz Face's (not concerned with batteries) rejecting one after another as not quiet right. The tech finally after about 10 of them hooks up the 1st one he brought out again, and presto there is the magic one.
The ears as a measuring tool or judgement are fickle variable biologics.
Since every human being hears differently they are about as reliable as a bench mark as a "Ghosthunter".
Ever seen anyone kick on their gear and not tweak it again from last use. Allowing tube amps change, if one is relying on dying batteries for their tone that is not something I deem professional or very bright. I would probably laugh myself silly if I saw a vendor selling weak batteries for better tones.
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Gee I was in Semiconductor Engineering for 29 years, I must be an idiot.
If you're paying 250 dollars for pedals that'd cost you 50 to build and assemble, considering your background...maybe.
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

I do not build pedals, I just bought a car with an apparent huge mark up over what it cost to make, gee I must be ********. I worked in Process Engineering never made circuits or boards just wafer chips of all sorts. Probably more electrical background than a door greeter position.

You guys are entitled to your opinions, that usually works both ways, and it is my opinion you are convicting and trying someone via your opinions. I simply agree the evidence is circumstantial and there is no evidence of intent that Sean stole Cochran's design. How about the hundreds of tubescreamer based overdrives that are just slightly modified, didn't they steal the TS circuit and just slightly modify it marketing it as a different drive pedal? Seriously, maybe you should stop insulting my intelligence as you do not know me either.

Personally I do not give a Rat's ass, if the OD11 is supposed to be a Timmy I am glad I did not waste more money on a not so great pedal. I would have been gravely disappointed.

So what pedals have you cats designed and put out you can stand as judges and critics?
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

I do not build pedals, I just bought a car with an apparent huge mark up over what it cost to make, gee I must be completely stupid. I worked in Process Engineering never made circuits or boards just wafer chips of all sorts. Probably more electrical background than a door greeter position.

You guys are entitled to your opinions, that usually works both ways, and it is my opinion you are convicting and trying someone via your opinions. I simply agree the evidence is circumstantial and there is no evidence of intent that Sean stole Cochran's design. How about the hundreds of tubescreamer based overdrives that are just slightly modified, didn't they steal the TS circuit and just slightly modify it marketing it as a different drive pedal? Seriously, maybe you should stop insulting my intelligence as you do not know me either.

Personally I do not give a Rat's ass, if the OD11 is supposed to be a Timmy I am glad I did not waste more money on a not so great pedal. I would have been gravely disappointed.

So what pedals have you cats designed and put out you can stand as judges and critics?

I started this thread to simply inform those who like or want a classic Hermida ZenDrive that Lovepedal will be making them for Hermida from now on the exact same pedal same circuit by agreement. Now you can make up crap he stole that one as well. Who cares.
That is one of the things I hate about this site, no matter what you say someone has to toss a bucket of crap on anything as they know different.
Really who cares? Anyone interested in the ZenDrive and other Hermida pedals, they will now be built by Lovepedal. That my friends is called a fact, while conjecture and assumption are what they are, not facts.

Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear
Dude you are arguing with yourself at this point..Look it's been beat to death on other forums, sorry I brought it up. I offered to retract my posts to keep the peace but you are more interested in arguing. I'm putting you on my ignore list, I suggest you put me on yours and have a good weekend.

edit: So I've deleted my posts from this thread, I added nothing constructive and after corresponding w Sean I realize I was wrong about a number of things. Rather than argue fine points I just retract wholesale, please let's move on. I hope the Lovepedal/Hermida project is successful it has the potential to be a win for everyone involved including the people who have been patiently waiting a long time to try one.
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

sort of what I started to begin with
You stepped into my forest and started it all, I just tried to state Hermida pedals will be done by Lovepedal now.
As for the rest of it, I do not care. Conspiracy notions and claims based on opinions of what people choose to create are their problems. I do not accuse people of theft, or engage in libel and slander on the basis of passing on what someone claims who more than likely does not have a damn clue.
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear
haha yep you got it buddy I'm totally clueless heh have a nice life
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Conspiracy notions and claims based on opinions of what people choose to create are their problems. I do not accuse people of theft, or engage in libel and slander on the basis of passing on what someone claims who more than likely does not have a damn clue.
I wasn't aware this arguement was Darkhorse vs. The Alex Jones of guitar pedals!
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

If anyone cares, first batch of Zendrives were released and sold out in a matter of days. Next shipment in 2-3 weeks. Pre-order is available. I'll be picking one up, but figured I'd wait until a few batches were produced, to work out any manufacturing kinks.
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
If anyone cares, first batch of Zendrives were released and sold out in a matter of days. Next shipment in 2-3 weeks. Pre-order is available. I'll be picking one up, but figured I'd wait until a few batches were produced, to work out any manufacturing kinks.
The Zendrive is nice but the Mosferatu is a real fire breather and quite versatile. I felt like I could get Zen-ish tones from the Mos w the gain at 9:00 and still have alot more gain on tap if I needed it. I put the Mos in league w the BJFE Dyna Red & Fulltone Plimsoul, at least thats what knocked it off my board.

Both nice pedals though, as is the 'verb pedal
Old 18th June 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
The KTR is not made in China. SMT, yes, but it's made in the USA.
That pedal is so Chinese it has a fortune cookie inside! ¥

Never believe what you read on the internet
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search