The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Next Step up from a Tube Screamer
Old 21st August 2006
Lives for gear

Next Step up from a Tube Screamer

I have an analogman modded TS-9 and love it in-between my Strat and my Fender Deluxe Reverb. Was thinking of adding another one for a bit more sustain and crunch when needed. Do you guys think I should gang two tubescreamers together(like SRV did) or go for a different pedal altogether like a modded Boss DS-1 or something? So what's the next step up from a tubescreamer......two tubescreamers or something else? Thanks,
Sean
Old 21st August 2006
Here for the gear

i would check out the fulltone fulldriver or the ibanez ts9dx.
Old 22nd August 2006
Lives for gear

Ibanez used to make a MetalScreamer which sounded like a tubescreamer with a little more jam IMO... Not very metal though.
Old 22nd August 2006
Lives for gear

Seems like every guitarist I've worked with in the past 2 or 3 years who was going for that TubeScreamer kind of crunch has added a HotCake to their pedalboard.
Old 23rd August 2006
Gear Addict

Fulltone fulldrive II or Carl Martin "hot drive'n boost" !!
Old 23rd August 2006
Gear Addict

I'm using an SPF Green Machine for this. It's awesome.
Old 23rd August 2006
Lives for gear

Got a Klon Centaur (the Neve 1084) of overdrive pedals. Spent WAAAAY too much money on it. Still, as long as I have a guitar that plugs into an amp I will have that thing and want nothing else. I would have been quite quite happy with a Fulltone or Hotcake for half the price.
Old 25th August 2006
Gear Head

I always have 2 modded TS9 (a Keeley and an Analogman) in the pedal rig and for variety in front I use something else with a crunchier sound -- usually either a SPF Red Threat or a Big Muff, though sometimes an old DOD 555. Rarely are they all on -- unless I'm going for ultra-feedback -- but the combinations allow for a lot of variety in distortion tones. Depending on what sounds you're looking for, the TSers are definitely smoother (I usually dial one up with a lot of drive and one with only a little) and if I need something edgier, I throw on whatever's in front with one of the TSers.
Old 26th August 2006
Lives for gear

check out protone pedals. GREAT tone. reasonable prices.
Old 29th August 2006
Gear Addict

Fulltone Fulldrive. Overdrive and boost.

Or try putting a ZVEX Super Hard On in front of your signal chain.
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahluk View Post
Got a Klon Centaur (the Neve 1084) of overdrive pedals. Spent WAAAAY too much money on it. Still, as long as I have a guitar that plugs into an amp I will have that thing and want nothing else. I would have been quite quite happy with a Fulltone or Hotcake for half the price.
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
serious pedal. pretty subtle but makes any amp sound awesome. I've got an HBE power screamer which is based on an 808 but with an extra switch for three different modes and a 10db boost switch. Same chip as the 808 i believe, nice hand made pedals.
Old 15th September 2006
Lives for gear

I have an AMT tube platinum for sale if you're interested.

It has a TS feel but with much more gain, a bit less compression and a flatter midrange. The 2 band eq gives it more tone shaping too. It's a great pedal from a company that's still under the radar.
Old 15th September 2006
Lives for gear

I just got back my recently modded TS-9 (silver mod by Analogman) and I'm seriously underwealmed. I've been using a Fulltone OCD for some time now and also got a Barber Silver LTD and I think they both beat the pants off my TS9. I use a DRRI as well and these other 2 choices are way more transparent to my ears whereas the TS-9 just creates this cloud and mud in my sound. I had hoped the silver mod option would kill that aspect of the tubescreamer sound which I've never been a fan of, but I guess not...

So yeah, I'd check out a Fulltone OCD and/or Barber Silver LTD. I use them both for low-gain dirt on the sound and the OCD plays very well with other pedals. I use it with my Fulltone 69 for nice heavier sounds.

Re: the Klon, I've yet to hear one, but I've never heard an unkind word spoken about it.

Good luck.
Old 17th September 2006
Here for the gear

you might look into some of the maxon stuff... just like the ibanez, but made with infinitely better components.

check out www.maxonfx.com for ideas/soundsamples

oh, and if you can get your hands on a fulltone o.c.d..... DO IT.

Last edited by jetpackbassist; 17th September 2006 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 10th October 2006
Gear Nut

Good god I love tube screamers. I have a Sparkle Drive (basically an 808 with a clean blend option) and I modded a DS-1 and a Distortion+, the latter two I use as boosts before the Sparkle Drive.

Those are great options, certain RAT pedals are awesome, old Marshall Shredmasters are insane, and the ZVEX Super Duper 2 in 1 is one of the best pedals I've ever heard. Too bad I might never be able to justify spending that much money on a pedal.

I've heard the Green Machines are sick, I want to hear one...

Oh yeah, and a friend of mine has a BadCat pedal that is about as big as a buick and sounds even bigger. Don't know which one, it has two channels. It's unbelievable.
Old 10th October 2006
Lives for gear

any word on a t-rex alberta (or even the mudhoney)? those look really cool . . . be my first choice to try. . .
Old 10th October 2006
Gear Addict

If you haven't tried dual Tube Screamers you should. Then check out the other options
Old 10th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanfiske View Post
Or try putting a ZVEX Super Hard On in front of your signal chain.
I just bought a 'Super Hard On' and it's a great pedal. MUCH better than the reissue MXR Micro Amp I had a few years ago. The clean boost the SHO delivers will work great with Strats and Teles.
It's also a good way to preserve the sound of your guitar when using pedals.

I also second the FullDrive II, great pedal. I foolishly sold mine about 2 years ago only to really miss it eventually but luckily enough I scored an early model on e-bay for a good price a while ago.

Between the FullDrive and my AnalogMan-modded Boss DS-1 I can pretty much cover every sound I want as far as 'overdrive/ slightly dirty' is concerned.

In the fuzz department I mainly use a Danelectro FabTone. Dirt cheap and great sounding!
Old 15th October 2006
Lives for gear

My 2 cents

http://www.butleraudio.com

Get the BIAS nob installed if you can, it's worth it.

This pedal made me post to Harmony Central (which they never posted) and I'm not a pedal guy.

BK's the shiz. That pedal made me see ****. I wish I had a sample on hand to show you. The price is relatively hefty pedal sitting in at 300 - 450, but you'll never buy another overdrive pedal again.

Peace,
-soupking
Old 16th October 2006
Lives for gear

Check out this whacky tubescreamer frankenstein:

http://www.mohomods.com/effects.htm

Click "custom pedals" for The Multiscreamer.
Old 27th October 2006
Gear Addict

Vox Cooltron Bulldog Distortion.

Expensive, 12au7 driven, 2 channel OD/dist pedal. All balls and worth every penny, especially when paired with the TS or Seymour Duncan PU booster pedal.
Old 2nd November 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I just bought a 'Super Hard On' and it's a great pedal.
WHAT?!

Old 2nd November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
WHAT?!

It's a BOOSTER pedal! I'll stop here.......
Old 2nd November 2006
Gear Addict

jules...

you're waaaayyy out of the loop.

"I LOVE MY SUPER HARD ON"

Maybe we can make special GS Band Instrument Thread T shirts...
Old 2nd November 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, and you know what's best about the SUPER HARD ON?

It runs on batteries!
Old 19th November 2006
Lives for gear

durham electronics sex drive! just the right amount of drive/compression/boost. works harmoniously with my TS9
Old 19th November 2006
Lives for gear

Get a Fulltone FullDrive 2.
It'll give you the cleanish sustain you want, if you want that. Or it can get nice and crunchy. Boost options too. True Bypass. Not overpriced.
I sold my TS-9 (although it was a reissue) and never looked back.
For more distortion and buzz without the loss of the low end, the best that I've tried is Diamond Fireburst.
Old 19th November 2006
Lives for gear

Radial Tonebone, or, for the smaller budget, the Digitech Bad Monkey is pretty cool.
Old 19th November 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Yeah, and you know what's best about the SUPER HARD ON?

It runs on batteries!
Don't forget its more fun sibling.... the.... wait for it..... SUPER-DUPER 2-IN-1 !!! Twiche the fun
Old 23rd November 2006
Here for the gear

Hi, my 1st post! Whoo...

You guys should check out www.buildyourownclone.com

Kits to build Tubescreamer clones.

The JRC4558D chip that companies talk up, costs about 50 cents.
You can get 'better' sounding and quieter chips.

The forum there is also quite illuminating about some pedals.

Fulltone Fulldrive = TS9, with some extremely small changes.

I built a pedal called the ...UltraScreamer lol.

Its a tubescreamer, but with switchable diodes and a high pass filter freq select switch (think bass boost)
( I hope this picture works)

-Miles.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search