The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
What amp should I add for recording?
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Nut

What amp should I add for recording?

I've got a Mini Rectifier and the Mesa TA-15 at home. I'm at a point where I'm recording a lot of different kinds of stuff, and looking for suggestions as to what might be a good addition for recording. A few notes:

I won't be able to crank anything super loud. As it is right now the 5 watt setting on the TA-15 is more than loud enough. So, I'd prefer lower wattage amps, unless the high wattage amps still sound good at lower volumes. This amp won't ever need to be used live on a stage.

I've got a couple of speaker cabs, with a V30 and MC90, so I'm not necessarily looking for combo amps, but would consider it if they added something to the mix.

I'm not opposed to selling the TA-15 if there's something else that does a good clean/slight breakup/marshally overdrive. This would increase my budget, but right now the budget isn't set, so I'm open to all options.

I'm also not opposed to getting a pedal to use into a clean amp, if it's going to give me some special mojo. I've got the line6 M13, a tube screamer, and a few other random pedals, so I'm not looking for FX pedals, more along the lines of an "amp in a pedal".

So, I'd love to hear any suggestions for an amp that really sounds great and will add something special to my studio.
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Maniac

Tweed champ
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

The Marshall Class5 does great edge of breakup up to classic Marshall crunch stuff, but they get pretty loud when you're getting into the crunch area.
Old 14th March 2013
Tweed champ or zvex nano.
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Nut

I see a lot of different tweed champ kits to build one (which is probably how I'd do it if I were to get one). Is there a particular kit which is superior, or are all of them fairly similar?
Old 14th March 2013
For low volume at home recording, you can't get anything better or more versatile than the Kemper.
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
For low volume at home recording, you can't get anything better or more versatile than the Kemper.
The Kemper looks pretty interesting, but if I'm going to spend that much on something to be really versitile, I'd probably get the Axe FX instead.

Any other suggestions for an amp that has some great recording mojo?
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

Corso 5-Watt Portable Recording Amplifier

The Jim Kelley Amplifier™

I have a TA-15 and love it, very pleased with the Tweed mode. I am planning on buying a Mini Rectifier. After that I'm thinking the Corso would be a nice addition or maybe a Univalve.
Old 15th March 2013
Here for the gear

Another vote for Tweed Champ or Tweed Champ clone. The Fender reissue, Victoria 518, Li'l Dawg Champster...anything based on the 5F1 circuit. There are some great kits out there too...
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear
Do you have a selection of guitars? I'm curious because when I'm looking for different tones I change the guitar first, not the amp!

Having said that, I like the Emery Sound Microbaby
Old 15th March 2013
Gear Nut

I've got a strat, tele, and les paul, along with another cheap strat in nashville tuning. I've toyed with the idea of a hollow body, but that's a purchase for another time when I have a project that might actually use it. Plus, I've got a big paypal credit to use up, and I'm not going to purchase a guitar online without having a chance to play it a bunch first, so a new guitar is not in the cards for right now.
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

I used a Carr Mercury for years...8 watts (plus 2 watt, 1/4 watt, 1/10 watt attenuation). Has a clean channel, crunch channel, and high gain lead channel. They are pricey new, but you can find good deals on them used.

I only sold it because I since required a Tone King Metropolitan, which is 40 watts for when I need big, loud clean headroom, but still has an excellent built in attenuator for lower volume studio recording.
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

Stolen From another thread here on Gear slutz
Suhr Corso amplifier, demo by Pete Thorn - YouTube
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Nut

Man, that Suhr amp is sweet, and his playing is awesome. I might have to put that one towards the top of the list.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Silverdace drip edge champ from '68/9. Same circuit as earlier blackface but for 2/3rds the price. No better recording amp out there.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by markblasco View Post
I see a lot of different tweed champ kits to build one (which is probably how I'd do it if I were to get one). Is there a particular kit which is superior, or are all of them fairly similar?
http://www.trinityamps.com/kits/

Top-notch components. Great documentation. Great support via his forums. I've built two of his kits (TC15 and OSD).
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

It's a little expensive, but the new Fender Chris Stapleton Signature Princeton is a great sounding little amp. It's basically a hand wired '62 Brownface Princeton circuit (12 watts) with a custom designed 12" speaker. Tone and Volume is all you get. For us, set them both on "7" and control the tone from your guitar. It also takes pedals extremely well...

Dave/Suspect Studios
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by allphourus View Post
Stolen From another thread here on Gear slutz
Suhr Corso amplifier, demo by Pete Thorn - YouTube
That sounds great. Would have been nice to hear the line out through a speaker emulation.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markblasco View Post
I've got a Mini Rectifier and the Mesa TA-15 at home. I'm at a point where I'm recording a lot of different kinds of stuff, and looking for suggestions as to what might be a good addition for recording. A few notes:

I won't be able to crank anything super loud. As it is right now the 5 watt setting on the TA-15 is more than loud enough. So, I'd prefer lower wattage amps, unless the high wattage amps still sound good at lower volumes. This amp won't ever need to be used live on a stage.

I've got a couple of speaker cabs, with a V30 and MC90, so I'm not necessarily looking for combo amps, but would consider it if they added something to the mix.

I'm not opposed to selling the TA-15 if there's something else that does a good clean/slight breakup/marshally overdrive. This would increase my budget, but right now the budget isn't set, so I'm open to all options.

I'm also not opposed to getting a pedal to use into a clean amp, if it's going to give me some special mojo. I've got the line6 M13, a tube screamer, and a few other random pedals, so I'm not looking for FX pedals, more along the lines of an "amp in a pedal".

So, I'd love to hear any suggestions for an amp that really sounds great and will add something special to my studio.
You could consider an inexpensive tube power amp to work with your speakers. Some are pretty inexpensive (eg https://www.ebay.com.au/i/1531579562...SABEgLGlvD_BwE) and would allow you to use tube pre-amps /pedals as pre- stages. Many of of those are available at many price points from kingsley, badcat, AMT, Verellen and many others. Cheap small SS Power amps are available too but the sound is not as good.
Another option is a synergy modular system where you can by pre-amps from different manufacturers (soldano, friedman...) at your leisure into the same tube power amp.
Lastly I use Wangs 1W and Wangs 5W little amps at home with pedals for songwriting and they are great, at very little $$. I have 189 amps at the studio (boutiques, vintage...) and the Wangs are very good into a suitable speaker cab (I use an open-back with WGS blackbird alnico at home). This will make a reasonably versatile amp with pedals
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I’d go with a Z Plus or one of the SE Swarts, depending on which features you wanted.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Marshall 18 watt!
Old 5 days ago

Got an AC4?

-tINY

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

This a really great little amp for recording, if mine broke i’d buy another immediately....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=gibso...z2PtAeHopB4nM:
It has such great mid range, you can blend it with any other combo of amps and add a totally different element to the sound.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Got an AC4?

-tINY

C'mon be a man! Get an AC30
Old 4 days ago
Boss Katana Artist suits my recording needs, has an 0.5 watt setting but sounds great on direct out too....footswitch and wah wah and alls good, just dial yr tones in on the computer app: 58 fx and 5 pre amps...if any gigs came up it will cover that too...
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
C'mon be a man! Get an AC30

I've got one of those... Given the OP's constraints, I wouldn't suggest it for him.

-tINY

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Princeton Reverb with an Allen TO20 transformer upgrade (easy drop in mod)..turns it into a great and versatile amp.
70's Silverface will do it..

reissues aren't bad but i like my early 70's PR better..you can drop this transformer into the rissues..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

I've got one of those... Given the OP's constraints, I wouldn't suggest it for him.

-tINY

Constraints-schmontraits. A few hours in the Gym daily, a quite talk with the neighbours and he is golden
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

For recording at low volumes the Audio Kitchen The Big Trees is outstanding.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search