The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
What amp should I add for recording?
Old 12th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Constraints-schmontraits. A few hours in the Gym daily, a quite talk with the neighbours and he is golden

Hell, why not a Mesa Dual Rec or Triple Crown, then?

-tINY

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Hell, why not a Mesa Dual Rec or Triple Crown, then?

-tINY

I hate mesa amps. Except Mk1. The bottom end is all wrong. Very specific use profile, not versatile enough.
I just bought a Dumble copy. Weighs a ton, 2-man job to lift (or 1 if they are your size). Sounds godly - a real man's amp.
Jokes aside, a suggestion of using high quality tube pres into a small tube power-amp gives you a VERY flexible and expandable setup, allows for direct recording, is affordable and is physically very manageable. I use one at home.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hate mesa amps. Except Mk1. The bottom end is all wrong. Very specific use profile, not versatile enough.
I just bought a Dumble copy. Weighs a ton, 2-man job to lift (or 1 if they are your size). Sounds godly - a real man's amp.
Jokes aside, a suggestion of using high quality tube pres into a small tube power-amp gives you a VERY flexible and expandable setup, allows for direct recording, is affordable and is physically very manageable. I use one at home.
But I do own 7 mesa's. Recs, road-kings, mk2-Mk5 are not nice. Others are better with Lonestar special probably most useful
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

A lot of pro studios like having a single speaker tube Fender tweed around for recording.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
But I do own 7 mesa's. Recs, road-kings, mk2-Mk5 are not nice. Others are better with Lonestar special probably most useful

Well, I only have a TA-30 and a Triple Crown. I liked the Fillmore when I played it, but not enough to bite.

I'm trying to fund a Cali Tweed now... I like that one a lot.

All the Mk amps aren't really my style either. Never sounded organic enough.

-tINY

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Well, I only have a TA-30 and a Triple Crown. I liked the Fillmore when I played it, but not enough to bite.

I'm trying to fund a Cali Tweed now... I like that one a lot.

All the Mk amps aren't really my style either. Never sounded organic enough.

-tINY

Yeah, MKs (other then Mk1) are a bit of an acquired taste - don't like them either.
I have a Blue Angel (?) somewhere - its ok. Also SOB was not bad.
Haven't had any experience with the Cali Tweed yet. In fact didn't know of ts existence until you mentioned it. Will investigate :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
A lot of pro studios like having a single speaker tube Fender tweed around for recording.
Yeah, we have 6 of different ones here. But keep in mind that any maintenance (changing cap's, pots, speakers) drastically reduces its collectors value
Old 4 weeks ago
Go play some damn amps. Choose the one you like.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Go play some damn amps. Choose the one you like.
Short and sweet
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

A few people mentioned Kemper, Axe FX, and Katana digital boxes. Given the situation the OP described, these might be the "best" - and most fun! - options. I'd be a little bit concerned about resale value (maybe) and reliability. If a digital amp goes down, you can't just replace a tube or solder in a few filter caps mid-recording session. Am I assuming correctly on this point?

I'm probably off-base about the reliability thing, as I only really use plug-ins if I'm after emulations, with very little experience using the amps. Maybe the digital amp enthusiasts out there have more info about this?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markblasco View Post
I've got a Mini Rectifier and the Mesa TA-15 at home. I'm at a point where I'm recording a lot of different kinds of stuff, and looking for suggestions as to what might be a good addition for recording.
markblasco, your Mesas sound like nice amps. Not having owned these models, I do run a Rectoverb 25 thru a Z-AirBrake attenuator, push the master considerably higher, and then reduce the preamp gain. The result is a bit more Marshall-esque, I suppose.

I've read some people dislike attenuators, but the more pushed EL-84s in the Mesa sound fine with the AirBrake and the volume reduction is handy for miking and recording.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search