The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jackson Soloist Pickups
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

Jackson Soloist Pickups

I have a Jackson Soloist. I think it's a 1984. Serial number is j 1359. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the bridge pickups in it. It's the double coil. What were they installing back then ? How hot are they and has anyone ever replaced them and what improvements did you notice if so?

Old 31st January 2013
Are these the active Jackson humbuckers? I have a set of Jackson Humbuckers in my old Charvel, circa 1991. Of course, a lot of guys don’t like active pups, but they don’t bother me at all….just got to know how to dial them in, and that’s a little different than with passive pups……they sound good IMO…..In general I think Jackson makes good pups, and unless you just have something specific in mind (i.e., you know exactly what tone you’re going for), I wouldn’t worry about switching the pickups at this juncture.

Sorry I don’t have any more specific information to give you.

Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks. No they are passives. I am probably just bored and looking for a change. These pickups are pretty good. I switched out the fronts before and I noticed an improvement but the double coil is a decent pickup.

I was thinking about putting in Evolution cause I kinda like that Vai sound which is partially due to the nature of those pickups it seems.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear
You might enjoy a Bill Lawrence L-500 at the bridge to replace the Duncan.

Another pickup from that era that was hot were the pickups in the Matsumoku factory guitars ('78-'80) if you can find part-guitars on the cheap with the original pups still in them. Or if you can find pups pulled from those guitars - Vantage, Westone, Epiphone, etc.

Gibson's 498T is a good replacement, very hot output.

If you like the sound of ceramics over alnico V then consider Gibson's Dirty Fingers pickup.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search