The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Dick Dale Guitar Sound
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Maniac
My friend has been making Spring Reverbs from these kits, and they sound totally amazing. Surfy Industries
After trying to chase that sound for 14 years (trying digital pedals, built in spring on my twin, spring on my Space Echo ect) I finally feel satisfied. Being able to push the springs harder is what gives the recognizable tone.

Big thanks to John for his detailed posts, this type of tone is something I am very obsessed with and it's great to learn more information about it. Everything he said has matched my experience so far exactly.
Old 21st June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

But, you can model the overload of the input to the spring tank to get that drip... which is exactly why the FRV-1 is so amazing...

I suspect the Topanga has a FET gain stage to overdrive before hitting the tone circuit and the digital reverb.... but I didn't buy that one, so I didn't look deeper.

Your assumptions are limiting you.

-tINY

MY assumptions? That's rich.

YOUR problem is you're willfully unwilling or unable to understand what I've been saying.

"The Drip" is actually the least part of if.

What I'm talking about is the ability to build a crescendo of noise that approximates a breaking wave by hitting the reverb progressively harder, and similar effects. Effectively "playing the reverb" What makes it possible is the Dwell control and the oversized driver tube.
Old 21st June 2017
Fender Spring tank demo here ... the guy gives it a bit of shake at the end ... interesting comment about the spring tank inside the box actually being suspended with springs too ...

Old 21st June 2017
The FRV1 sounds pretty good to me though ...

Old 21st June 2017
But this is what I got ... works for me, which is why i'm not in a hurry to find a better solution - but I do plan to experiment with some spring tanks - just pre-occupied with sorting some guitar issues first ....

Old 21st June 2017
To chime in, I think a lot of the sound could be made up by putting your reverb in front of an overdrive pedal.

John, as for the knocking of the tank to get the waves, that's one tiny, tiny thing in the world of surf.

I love kicking my Vibrolux for THAT sound, but really, pedals are fine if you're looking to do everything BUT that.
Old 21st June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsolo View Post
To chime in, I think a lot of the sound could be made up by putting your reverb in front of an overdrive pedal.

That and a dwell control that will allow you to overdrive the drive tube (or model thereof). But, you're right, for most people a decent spring emulation in front of the preamp (on-board or stompbox overdrive) will capture the essential nature of the sound.

-tINY

Old 21st June 2017
Quote:

John, as for the knocking of the tank to get the waves, that's one tiny, tiny thing in the world of surf.

I love kicking my Vibrolux for THAT sound, but really, pedals are fine if you're looking to do everything BUT that.
For a bit of theatrics - you can thump on your guitar and get a pedal reverb fairly excited ... it's not too dissimilar ...I know it's missing the sound when the spring exceeds it's limit's ...

With today's technology, we could trigger samples of real surf and waves if we wanted too ... I love my Roland TM2, it's a tiny drum brain but you can put any sample you like on an SDC card. It would be totally possible to mult the reverb to a trigger input and set the threshold so you got a sample of a real wave once the reverb signal exceeds a certain point.

I might try using a volume pedal to get more dynamics out of my reverb (even if I get real springs that could be fun). A volume pedal also be used to swell in some white noise. Reminds me of an old wah pedal I had as a kid that had surf and siren sounds built in.

I'm just imagining what could be done with stuff I have around - I really like the idea of exploring the concept of emulating big waves crashing ... but going beyond what a spring could do ... filters can be really cool too ...
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

I ran sound for Dick a few years ago. At that time he was using a pair of tan 2X12 Fender Bassman amps and a tan-colored fender reverb unit that was contemporary to the amps . He was also using what looked like very heavy strings. He was LOUD.
Old 26th June 2017
Quote:

You're missing the point, but if you've never really got into using one of those old standalone boxes that's not surprising.

Kicking the reverb is the least part, and works fine with reverb built into to amp.

What I'm talking about is something that's rather different, although related, and has to do white the player's picking attack, as well as related effects such as striking the guitar springs in a percussive manner. This gives a range of effects that are more subtle and much more varied than merely kicking the box. And you need that oversized driver tube to pull that stuff off.

Think of it in terms of a good drummer doing a building roll on a cymbal, using mallets. You can build to a crescendo, relax and lay back so the sounds dies back, build up again, lay back, build, etc, etc. Like the ebb and flow of surf.
Old 26th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly_Rogers View Post
For starters, Dick Dale is the master.

He always uses a Fender Stratocaster with a rosewood neck. The pickups are Fender model Fat '50s single coils. Heavy gauge strings are used, 12s i think. He uses a blonde Fender Bandmaster - solid state rectifier through two Fender cabinets, one with two 15inch speakers, the other with one 15inch speaker. The Reverb unit is actually an external spring-reverb unit which he hangs from the ceiling - presumably to separate it from the vibrations of the stage from his amps.

So, your Strat is a good start, if you want his sound use single-coil pickups of some kind, ideally Fender Fat '50s, a set cost about $200 i think. Then a Fender tube amp with spring reverb, tube-driven reverb ideally would be the next step. If you want his exact tone try to buy the above setup. His guitar also uses non-standard switching of some kind, i think it is wired to only use one pickup at a time using a gibson-style 3-way switch.

I have seen him live and that was his rig. Same guitar the entire show, no pedals of any kind. Guitar, Reverb unit, Amp. The cabinets were Fender Bassman Blackface style, the ones with the handles on the side.

So i guess try to emulate that rig as close as you can afford to, Fender everything. I think your strat with hopefully single-coils into any Fender tube amp with Reverb would be really close. Any distortion Dale gets is really just the amp turned up loud, and he does play extremely loud too by the way. The bass is a Fender bass through an unknown amp with Fender Blackface Bassman style cabinets, 15inch speakers again.
Duel Showman cabs, not Bassman. The Bassmans had 12s.

The custom switching is reputed to be an extra switch allowing mid and neck pickups to be on at the same time. That predates Fender adopting the 5 way switch, of course.
Old 26th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
You're missing the point, but if you've never really got into using one of those old standalone boxes that's not surprising.

Kicking the reverb is the least part, and works fine with reverb built into to amp.

What I'm talking about is something that's rather different, although related, and has to do white the player's picking attack, as well as related effects such as striking the guitar springs in a percussive manner. This gives a range of effects that are more subtle and much more varied than merely kicking the box. And you need that oversized driver tube to pull that stuff off.

Think of it in terms of a good drummer doing a building roll on a cymbal, using mallets. You can build to a crescendo, relax and lay back so the sounds dies back, build up again, lay back, build, etc, etc. Like the ebb and flow of surf.
challenge accepted. Please provide an example and I'll replicate it with my Vibrolux
Old 26th June 2017
Quote:
challenge accepted. Please provide an example and I'll replicate it with my Vibrolux
Wish I could right now, but I don't have the necessary device - and it's not a technique that I'm personally good at, although I've known many who were. (I'm a RHYTHM player,not a lead player, but the time of my first band coincided with the end of the surf instrumental craze, so I grew up with guys doing that kind of stuff.)

If I can come up with any recorded clips I'll post them.

Here, try this:

Might be able to get close on a loot of it but you really need the big tank to get it right, the percussive parts in particular. You can really hear the extra power of that big driver tube kicking the springs HARD.
Old 26th June 2017
7+1
Lives for gear

my favorite of Dick Dale... Brings back memories of my childhood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QURgcAW3Jhc
Old 2nd February 2018
Diy 6g15 Reverb

Thought I'd share my build. Deep drip in this one. Used the weber layout. Period correct 6k6 RCA power tube with Vishay components. Including elevated signal ground for quiet operation.
Attached Thumbnails
Dick Dale Guitar Sound-img_1335.jpg   Dick Dale Guitar Sound-img_1337.jpg   Dick Dale Guitar Sound-img_1338.jpg   Dick Dale Guitar Sound-img_1339.jpg  

Last edited by Bobby Baird; 3rd February 2018 at 04:51 PM..
Old 3rd February 2018
Racked

Spring loaded Pan.
Attached Thumbnails
Dick Dale Guitar Sound-img_1347.jpg   Dick Dale Guitar Sound-img_1348.jpg   Dick Dale Guitar Sound-img_1349.jpg   Dick Dale Guitar Sound-img_1350.jpg  
Old 3rd February 2018
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Wish I could right now, but I don't have the necessary device - and it's not a technique that I'm personally good at, although I've known many who were. (I'm a RHYTHM player,not a lead player, but the time of my first band coincided with the end of the surf instrumental craze, so I grew up with guys doing that kind of stuff.)

If I can come up with any recorded clips I'll post them.

Here, try this:

Might be able to get close on a loot of it but you really need the big tank to get it right, the percussive parts in particular. You can really hear the extra power of that big driver tube kicking the springs HARD.
How can Dick Dale NOT be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Kiss were scared little boys compared to the way this guy played.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

RIP Dick Dale
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search