The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
David Williams funky guitar tone with humbucker pickups? Electric Guitar
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Nut

David Williams funky guitar tone with humbucker pickups?

Hello. I am an independent boogie funk producer on the market for a used mid-80's Japanese Fender Strat (having been recommended this for my style of music already), and I am noticing sellers with PAF and other hum bucker style pickups at the bridge. I am not versed in the finer points of electric guitar tone, but I'd like to achieve David Williams-style tone to incorporate funky rhythm and solo guitar into my synth funk music. Would hum bucker pickups help me achieve this tone, or rather some other style of pickup? I'd like to achieve this tone:

I know this guitar is probably double-tracked and has had chorus/reverb processing, but the processing is operating on an underlying guitar tone, and that's what I would like to achieve. Any information or suggestions as to what style pickups I should be looking out for would be greatly appreciated.

Many many thanks ahead of time.
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

I am almost positive that that's a strat equipped with single coils, in the 2 position (bridge and middle pickups together in parallel) - it's a distinctive sound. Single coils sound more jangly (for lack of a better word), which is what I'm hearing in the track that you posted. A bridge-position humbucker can provide a good funk tone as well, as long as it's not a real hot, overwound metal-head/shredder kind of pickup, but that's definitely not what you're hearing on that track.

A stock strat is a good choice for funk music in general, but any guitar that can yield a bright clean tone is a good candidate for funk. Usually the bridge pickup is best, or in the case of the song you posted, the bridge pickup combined with the middle pickup.

P.S. Many of the japanese strats I've seen have 3 single coils. Don't overlook the more modern Mexican strats (Standard Stratocaster), some of which can be had for not too much money.
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

that clip sounds like the neck pickup of a standard strat. David is awesome. My strat is signed by him!!
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
I am almost positive that that's a strat equipped with single coils, in the 2 position (bridge and middle pickups together in parallel) - it's a distinctive sound.
That's exactly what I'm hearing. It's not just the pickups, it's the way a Strat spanks. I have split coils on my LP, but there's no way to get that sound from it.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search