Holiday shop via this link to support the forum!
How did he get THIS sound?
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear interested

How did he get THIS sound?

Hey everybody,

Donavon Frankenreiter - "That's Too Bad" Live From Montreux 2011 - YouTube

I'm wondering how Donavon got this sound. Is it the Marshall in the back? Is it a pedal? I'm currently using a Strat with an old vintage original Fender Super Reverb which is definitly great for clean. I'm getting my overdrive with the EH English Muff'n but I can't get such a rich and warm lead overdrive/distortion sound. Is it possible to get this sound with my Super Reverb?

Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear
Have you actually put your Super on 8 or 9?

There's nothing particlarly special about it--I mean, he's not really playing the riff on the intro, if that's what you mean. That's the humbucker. Thing is, it does sound like a wound out Fender--but, EARLY Marhsalls wound out are not really that different. I mean, they're different, but a 50wt Plexi on 9...a nice Bassman or Super on 9...

But, yes, you can approximate with a pedal. It's not very dirty. The EH things, IME, are singing compressed distortion. You want the sound of an amp turned up...which is better with a Black Box Bluesbreaker pedal...or a Barber Small Fry in "blackface mode"...something with a mid bump and OD. Eternity Drive is a nice flexible OD pedal...

But, you should be able to get that by opening up the Super, IMO. Now, whether your gigs will ALLOW such volume-whole different discussion.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear interested

Thank you very much,
Yeah, you know, I have turned it up in studio and I can get some good overdrive out of it. But it doesn't have switchable channels for live usage and most of the time I need the clean settings. I think I'll try some of those pedals. Thanks!

Old 24th September 2012
A lot of players ride their volume knob for clean tones. Works great.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear
popmann's Avatar the time you've got the power tubes compressing that hard you can use the volume knob.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search