The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Origin Effects Cali76
Old 15th August 2012
Origin Effects Cali76

Origin Effects :: Products

Just wondering if anyone has had their hands on one of these yet, and can comment on the xfmr vs the non-xfmr versions. Love the sound of the clips on guitar.

Edit: OK, now I see that with a 9v power supply, the two are identical, and with an 18v supply, the xfmr and balanced output are put into the path with a relay. Interesting. I might pick one of these up just `cause.
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

My friend was reving about the SlideRig yesterday. Their stuff looks amazing! 2 x 1176 style comps in series, in one box!

Pete Thorn Demo vid - sweet Les Paul slide guitar tone at 1.15

Old 2nd May 2013
Love any demo of the Origin Effects compressors I've heard. I don't play slide, but that SlideRig sounds amazing. I'm setting up a secondary pedal board for cleans and jangly tones, just for my Jim Kelley amp. Maybe I'll make that my compressor. OTOH, I still want a JangleBox2 Byrds edition. I think I just need to get both.
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

I have the SlideRig and it's everything that the demo vids show it is. Supper clean and quiet, it doesn't color your tone. I've loved it from the moment first I plugged into it. In the past I tried to do what it does using two Boss 1/2 rack CL50's which are fine compressors for guitar or base but strapped together with this much compression they are uselessly noisy, Though they do have an included gate in them but the gate chops off some of the slide if set low enough to keep them quiet. Works great on jangly rhythm parts through my AC 30. Which makes me think I need to try it with a 12 string. Does country Tele great too. Most compressors I've tried get noisy and/or even pumpy ( particularly so with single coils ) when you use them in a manor of an effect so the compression is really evident not the SlideRigg. I recommend it with out reservation. I bought mine with the 18 vlt power supply and have never used it 9vlts, they said it increases head room.
Old 5th December 2013
Origin Effects Cali76 / SlideRig

OK, I went back and forth between the Cali76, Cali76+xfmr, and Sliderig, and decided on the Sliderig. Got it yesterday. It is extremely rare that I will ever refer to a piece of equipment as a "game changer" - especially something like a guitar pedal. However, if the term describes any piece of gear, it's the Sliderig.

First, the tone is absolutely pristine. I mean, there's no noise, no edge, no muddiness, nothing. Just pure, glistening guitar sound coming through - and that's in both rhythm and solo mode (actually, there's no difference between rhythm and solo. They're just 2 sets of controls on the same pair of stacked compressors). And the clean, noiseless sustain is just ridiculous. You don't get any white noise coming up at the end of the note.

Now, on the "game changer" part, the ability to even out the volume so smoothly between single lines, double stops, and chords is really uncanny. They all just fit together, and the tone is the same. Not close. The same. If you're playing crystaline note-tweezing leads up top, then when you go to the bottom of the neck your chords are just as crystalline. You don't get any mud for hitting the compressor harder. So if you're playing rhythm and need a lead fill, you can go for it with confidence. It's just there, as loud as a lead should be. There's no question it's going to come out the way a lead should, except it's the same tone as the rhythm part.
Old 6th December 2013
Lives for gear

Wow - sounds like a wonderful bit o' gear. Congrats
Old 14th October 2017
Gear Nut

Anybody compare these to the newer cheaper 1176 rack units?
Old 14th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
OK, I went back and forth between the Cali76, Cali76+xfmr, and Sliderig, and decided on the Sliderig. Got it yesterday. It is extremely rare that I will ever refer to a piece of equipment as a "game changer" - especially something like a guitar pedal. However, if the term describes any piece of gear, it's the Sliderig.

First, the tone is absolutely pristine. I mean, there's no noise, no edge, no muddiness, nothing. Just pure, glistening guitar sound coming through - and that's in both rhythm and solo mode (actually, there's no difference between rhythm and solo. They're just 2 sets of controls on the same pair of stacked compressors). And the clean, noiseless sustain is just ridiculous. You don't get any white noise coming up at the end of the note.

Now, on the "game changer" part, the ability to even out the volume so smoothly between single lines, double stops, and chords is really uncanny. They all just fit together, and the tone is the same. Not close. The same. If you're playing crystaline note-tweezing leads up top, then when you go to the bottom of the neck your chords are just as crystalline. You don't get any mud for hitting the compressor harder. So if you're playing rhythm and need a lead fill, you can go for it with confidence. It's just there, as loud as a lead should be. There's no question it's going to come out the way a lead should, except it's the same tone as the rhythm part.
Did you buy the original Sliderig or the newer Compact version? I've seen Pete Thorne's demos and it does sound good.
Old 15th October 2017
Gear Maniac
I have the Cali76 for bass and the compact Sliderig. Finally guitar pedals have reached the point that they can replace outboard processors. This is a reference-standard company. And this is why API, for example, is also chasing the pedal market. Probably, high voltage (18v) will become the standard
📝 Reply