Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Many Guitars, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-many-guitars-so-little-time/)
-   -   Favorite Reverb Pedals? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-many-guitars-so-little-time/754629-favorite-reverb-pedals.html)

darkhorse 11th September 2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metatron13 (Post 8166454)
The new Hardwire Supernatural sounds great in the demos by Andy at Proguitar shop - but Andy can make anything sound great! I do have the hardwire delay though and it is pretty darn good!!!

Both Hardwire Reverb pedals are very good. I had the RV-7 for some time. Digitech (Hardwire) owns Lexicon, and these pedals have the Lexicon chip in them, serious bang for the buck. Plus Hardwire series ramps up interval voltage for headroom, really decent pedal line. I am not really a fan of spring reverb for more upper tech guitar rigs, a ton of cool pedals ranging in price. Probably is not a bad one, depends on the bucks you have at hand. I found the RV-7 silly good for what it costs, very musical and does not lose your tone. The new one is not a straight reverb and has a lot of effect wickedness added, cool if you're looking for some less traditional reverb possibilities.

Hermida reverb pedal, Wampler reverb pedal, Eventide, just so many out there. Some simple one knob no assorted models or types, others an array of possible types of reverb.

Of all of them I really do not dig the traditional spring thing, not for what I play. I currently have a pedal shortage in that area so I am using my POD HD500 for various delays and reverbs, works out well if you tweak on it. Pedals are better but it is what I have available at the moment. I would not hesitate to grab another RV-7 because I know the settings well. For like a $100 bucks that puppy rules.

Mylithra 11th September 2012 05:13 PM

+1 to the Hardwire RV-7. I really like the plate sound in it and its almost always on.. even though my amp has springs in it.

If you can find one, the Dr. Scientist reverb pedal is pretty cool too.

darkhorse 12th September 2012 11:36 PM

That new Hardwire reverb is also pretty amazing but does more treatment to the reverb, the RV-7 is more a straight up reverb, but really nice. I miss it myself. If I ever redo my back line it is a listed choice or the new one.

Everyone makes a reverb of some sort these days, a million possibilities. For the bucks it is hard to beat the Hardwire pedals. TC toneprint is also excellent for a decent price.

Tag101 14th September 2012 03:46 AM

The best one I have found is the TREX Roomate. Maybe not the most flexible, but the tones are off the hook great. kfhkh

SamKapala 14th September 2012 03:54 AM

The guys in my band swear by their 'verb pedals... A Hardwire RV-7 sounds great on acoustic guitar, the cellist (he plays an electric cello through an amp) loves the Blue Sky, and our mandolin/violin guy is all about the Cathedral from ElectroHarmonix. I think there's one I'm forgetting, but they're all great products. The Blue Sky in particular is pretty awesome... definitely a little out there, but it's an amazing effect.

darkhorse 14th September 2012 10:07 AM

I am not sure one would run across a bad one.
There are so many, every pedal maker has one. Hardwire (Digitech), T-Rex, Wampler, Hermida (Zendrive maker), Eventide, Strymon, are just a few I have looked at, depends on the bucks.
Anybody know what that rackmount reverb was that Jeff Beck had sitting on top his Marshall on the Live at Ronnie Scott's CD? His use of reverb is what inspires my tones.

The HD500 POD has some nice reverbs which is what I am using at the moment. While the amp models are superb on that unit some of its effects are quite good. I have one so I am making use of taking up the slack of pedals I do not have at the moment.

indie folk guy 14th September 2012 09:05 PM

TC Electronic Hall of Fame, TC Electronic Nova Reverb, Eventide, Wampler Faux Spring, Subdecay Spring Theory, Line 6 Verbzilla imho are probably the best current production verb pedals.

string6theory 14th September 2012 11:09 PM

EH Holiest (of them all) Grail... :)

More recently, I've also been tracking a separate reverb/ambience (stereo) track through the Lex PCM92, usually fed from a room mic, like the AKG 414b-uls, but also closer mics like the Royer R-121. I'm liking the results better than the pedals, but sometimes the direct mono mix with pedals is just the ticket.

Sinner 14th September 2012 11:41 PM

I love the blackstar tube reverb. But also have the hardwire rv7. It may be more versatile.

eastsidetone 15th September 2012 02:22 AM

I can't believe no one here has mentioned the boss FRV-1.

I love this pedal, it even drips :D

mjtripper 15th September 2012 02:28 AM

Another fan of the wet reverb with the hardwire unit a close second.

Fu Schnickens 16th October 2012 03:54 AM

I play mostly through an Orange Dual Terror with no FX loop. Running a reverb through the input is fine for clean/mild OD, but switch channel to more distortion and the 'verb becomes a washy mess. Is there a pedal out there that doesn't do that? I've tried Boss, EHX, Digitech HW; all the same. Any ideas?

seancostello 16th October 2012 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fu Schnickens (Post 8358948)
I play mostly through an Orange Dual Terror with no FX loop. Running a reverb through the input is fine for clean/mild OD, but switch channel to more distortion and the 'verb becomes a washy mess. Is there a pedal out there that doesn't do that? I've tried Boss, EHX, Digitech HW; all the same. Any ideas?

I think that is just the nature of reverb running into distortion. Neil Young uses this sound a lot. My Bloody Valentine would run reverse reverbs in front of their amps for some of their sounds

If you want to minimize the washiness, you may have the best luck with a genuine spring reverb, or just go for a tape echo type sound. These tend to hold up better when sent through distortion.

psychedelictrip 16th October 2012 01:51 PM

Van Amps Sole Mate Jr. because I couldn't afford a tube spring reverb. It's a great pedal(although I wish it was heavier). I think it's great for old amps that don't have reverb You have to mount the spring tank inside. It's a nice lush sound going through my '65 Vox Pathfinder. It's also analog not digital or digital dressed up as if it were analog which I think is a con job.

litepipe 16th October 2012 02:23 PM

Yeah that's my fav even over a tube spring verb. It has a lot of character.

mouthbleed 16th October 2012 02:28 PM

Mr. Black Supermoon.
You owe it to yourselves to check it out.
Jack DeVille is a pedal design god.
His new Eterna reverb may have you falling in live too.

dubmunkey 16th October 2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluzkat (Post 8164757)
I bought a Boss RE 20 Space Echo, didn't buy it for the reverb... but I use this reverb quite a bit.

Love my RE 20! heh

http://stash.reaper.fm/13716/re_20_angle_main.jpg

:cool:

Excellent pedal, I was dubious but it is awesome!

noah330 17th October 2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastsidetone (Post 8264119)
I can't believe no one here has mentioned the boss FRV-1.

I love this pedal, it even drips :D

Before I had the Headroom I bought the Boss FRV-1. It was about 80% of what I wanted but was missing something. I just couldn't bond with it - got the Carl Martin, which is a genuine spring reverb, nails.

litepipe 17th October 2012 04:48 PM

Something special happens with the preamp in the sole mate. I don't know what it is but when that thing is plugged in the tone seems more alive.

imgarrett 17th October 2012 07:21 PM

I'd say malekko spring chicken, I always wanted one but the used prices on them are ridiculous. So I just a Line 6 Verbzilla, sounds good to me out of my little Vibro champ. Dare I say it's close to sounding like a princeton reverb now.

nico2600 18th October 2012 01:46 AM

I like the Little Lanilei reverb pedal with three springs in it, and would kill to try out the Demeter Reverbulator.

aroman 22nd October 2012 05:55 AM

Holy Grail and TC Electronic's Hall of Fame

nico2600 25th October 2012 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank_Case (Post 8380859)
If you are tallying votes, I go with the Hardwire Supernatural. The RV-7 is great as well and obviates any need to have spring reverb in any amp you buy, it's that good. But the Supernatural takes the RV-7 to another level and is probably the best of bred in pedal reverbs.

Both the RV-7 and Supernatural verbs are miracles considering the price points they are offered at. They could double the price and it would still be worth their sound. World class reverbs at the price of a distortion box. Unbelieveable.

Hard to judge from online sounds, since everything sounds like it's been stepped on a thousand times, but the synth-trail presets on the Supernatural sounded really nice, and I just ordered one -- if anything, it might sound really nice on my old synths. Thank you!

darkhorse 2nd November 2012 02:18 AM

I've mentioned this before Digitech owns Lexicon and the Lexicon reverb chip is in these pedals, serious bang for the bucks.
The Supernatural is a more extended effect laden reverb array, the RV-7 is more a straight up clean reverb.
TC has a new reverb model pedal out updating the Hall of Fame reverb, also really nice.
There's a million out there, hard to beat the Hardwire or TC for the money.

massimo 2nd November 2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhorse (Post 8410648)
TC has a new reverb model pedal out updating the Hall of Fame reverb, also really nice.

where did you read this?

best regards
Massimo

Deleted User 2nd November 2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davet (Post 8164943)
Wet Reverb - Neunaber Technology Effects

Wet Reverb 3. I use this in a Surf Band. Beats hell out of hauling around one of those Fender units. I think it sounds better than the reverb tank in my buddy's 67 Vibrolux. Spiced up with a bit of Time Factor delay, twang.kfhkh
DaveT

kfhkh for the WET .. i can get mix down enough and the duration short enough to use in front of a high gain amp ... good sound small size .. sound wonderful on a clean amp ...better than the reverb in my 60's Gretsch amp

darkhorse 4th November 2012 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massimo (Post 8411894)
where did you read this?

best regards
Massimo

Saw it in the last Sweetwater catalog they sent me, it is called the ARENA.
TC has put out several new models on their toneprint series. The new X4 Flashback Delay is amazing. Also a new chorus model or 2 I think.

Reverb tastes revolve around the notions of a spring or faux spring platform or more digital formal platforms which can be really amazing. I am not crazy with the spring thing myself although I do like the Wampler Faux Spring. There are a million units out there, it is hard to make a choice. I've been happy with quite a few over the years. I saw that Carl Martin has a nice dual reverb unit easy to set and the Hermida unit, T-Rex has some good ones. Just so many pedals these days and most of them sound good.

I was rather impressed by the musical quality of the Hardwire models for the money. Which also incidentally having the Lexicon chip they also have an internal voltage step up, to 15v I think it was, which increases their headroom potential and clarity. TC toneprints are very good as well. I did not have the reverb but the Flashback was an exceptional delay and the new X4 expanded model is a hands down winner.

lame pseudonym 9th November 2012 01:57 AM

Say, aren't all reverb boxes emulations?

LP

PS I nabbed an Alesis Microverb II at a flea market for a few bucks. It's good enough for live playing.

JustMastering 9th November 2012 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lame pseudonym (Post 8429569)

PS I nabbed an Alesis Microverb II at a flea market for a few bucks. It's good enough for live playing.

The Microverb II is a great unit. I had one for years and never should have sold it :).

Cheers
Rob

Rob

seancostello 9th November 2012 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lame pseudonym (Post 8429569)
Say, aren't all reverb boxes emulations?

I think that once you start getting into the super long modulated reverbs, they are no longer an emulation of anything in the physical world. The Lexicon 224 Concert Hall algorithm, introduced in 1979, doesn't really sound like a concert hall. Especially when you turn the "mode enhancement" (chorus) up, and set the decay to 70 seconds.