The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fuzz war (please help) Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 24th April 2012
Gear Head

Fuzz war (please help)

Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz vs. Fender Blender vs. Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi (any model)

Need some help. What is the best for Acid Grunge Blues Rock? Thank you very much.
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

not on the list, but I chose the keeley fuzzhead because of its versatility. I can get really fuzzy but i can also get this hybrid fuzz/distortion that I really dig for a lead sound. I keep it on the silicone chip.
Old 24th April 2012
Dude. Protones pedals Peligro fuzz is THE most versatile fuzz I've ever used.... Its pretty cool and guitar and bass....
Old 24th April 2012
Gear maniac

lol. How long is a piece of string?

Your choices aren't necessarily the best, and you'll get a unique pedal from everyone who responds. I'll go with the Maestro FZ-1S.

NEXT!
Old 24th April 2012
I'll say prescription electronics experience fuzz.
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrungerkid View Post
Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz vs. Fender Blender vs. Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi (any model)

Need some help. What is the best for Acid Grunge Blues Rock? Thank you very much.
For Acid Grunge Blues I'd say the Big Muff.

Don't even think about using that for Acid Grunge Blues ROCK >>>> that would be the Fender Blender

But seriously....every fuzz is unique and usable in its own way, ESPECIALLY for more grungey, Nuggets-era or generally psychotic sounds. I had luck with cheapo pedals like the Danelectro French Fries or FabTone on one hand and also expensive boutique reissues like the Colorsound One Knob Fuzz or Sola Sound Tonebender.

Personally I don't own a FenderBlender but it's on my list. If you really want to get as far away from 'singing', 'creamy', 'rich' or any other attributes used by sonic sissies, well then the Blender is the ticket I'd say.

P.S: I'm sure it's not a Fender Blender on this track as that pedal wasn't released till 1968 or so but anyway, it's way cool!
Old 24th April 2012
Depending on the mood I'd grab a different fuzz pedal. You will get different results depending amplifier and guitar. Even the cable will make a difference... The older germanium fuzzes are RAW. This usually helps. Then there are the octave up fuzzes. So it really is difficult to give a good advice. And then there is your playing. If you have a light touch and know how to get good flagiolettes you can make an unusable fuzz sing for you....
Old 24th April 2012
They are all groovy, in their own special way. I use clones that I built to save $. You can get kits or roll yer own like I did, most are simple to make.

Got the Fuzz Face with germaniums, (re-issues are silicon), the original Foxx tone machine with the best octave split ever, a 1960's era Sola Colorasound 3 knob germanium, a Roger Mayer Octavia and some home brew models.

I would avoid the TS-9 as those are not aggressive and sound muddy.

Generally, silicon transistor fuzzes are more aggressive and raw compared to germanium.
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear
I own the Keeley Fuzzhead and I like it. It also plays well with other pedals, which is a plus.

For a budget fuzz, the Guyatone TZ2 The Fuzz is under $50, and does a pretty good job of nailing part of the old Univox Super Fuzz, which I owned and foolishly sold 25 years ago. Does not play well with pedals, but also gets gritchy and fun.

but as the other poster said, there are so many fuzz pedals, where you put them in relation to other pedals, how you power them - myriad possibilities.
Old 24th April 2012
Want something really unique and not quite so saturated/violin like? Try and track down an Ampeg Scrambler (reissue! originals will cost you a fortune if you can get one...or build one, simple schematic) and run it through an overdrive small tube combo (Champ, in my case AX-84 P1 custom built).

Here's a quick track I did with that setup (LP Custom, mic'ed with Rode NT1a, no FX), with some funky rhythm playing.

If you run it through a heavy stack, you get Smashing Pumpkins leads.

Old 25th April 2012
Gear Head

Whoa thank you everyone :D keep replying please. Ill be sure to check out some of this. Keep 'em coming
Old 26th April 2012
Depends how out of control you want to get. Zvex fuzz factory is great but takes a bit to learn. It's very sensitive to adjustments.
Old 4th February 2013
I did a shootout with the mad prof hand wired fire red fuzz, and a few other and I really liked the mad professor. They have a PCB version that should sound similar and costs quite a bit less. The red witch fuzz god sounded good and had some really cool features that made it stand out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search