The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best EL84 Amp to Pair with Fender Silverface Princeton
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear Nut

Best EL84 Amp to Pair with Fender Silverface Princeton

Hey guys, I am looking for a nice el84 amp to pair with my fender princeton for home studio use. The idea would be I could run one at a time, or use both together. I am huge fan of Vox style amps, but thinking a Marshall type might work better?? Let me know, I appreciate all the feedback!!
Old 24th April 2012
Gear Guru

I have a Dr Z Maz 38 Reverb combo that I love. It's basically the unholy combination of a Vox and a Blackface, and hits some JTM 45 tones along the way. Honestly, it's one of the most versatile amps I've ever used. The Maz 38 is built like a tank, is fairly lightweight, sounds great, and really isn't all that expensive. I've had a pretty big pile of amps over the past few decades, and the Maz 38 stands out as one of my favorites.
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear
+1 on the Dr. Zs!

At a lower wattage that fits well with the Princeton, the Dr. Z Mini Z paired with the Dr. Z 1x12 cab is an excellent match, both tonally and volume wise. I have both and enjoy running them on an ABY switch. The MAZ 38 is a great amp as well; if you're only using it for home you may appreciate the lower wattage of the Mini Z. Don't be fooled though - this thing gets loud and searing if needed, but also has a built-in attenuator.

Worth trying them out.
Old 24th April 2012
A lot of people love the dr z's but I have yet to get excited by one. I keep expecting to be blown away and it never happens. Seems like they are built great tho.
Old 24th April 2012
Gear Nut

Ha well I had a Z28, but now just have the princeton haha.....ideally I think having all 3 (Fender type, Marshall type, and Vox type) would be great, but for my next purchase I think the amp should have good bass response. I have been looking at these.... feel free to "Chime" in, bad Vox joke ha.

Winnfield Cyclone (supposedly great Vox AC15 clone)
Valvetech Hayseed (Vox clones)
Blackstar HT 20....(preferred the 5 watt over the new Marshall 5 watt)
Dr. Z Maz 38
Dr. Z Carmen Ghia
Morgan
Swart
Some kind of 18 watt plexi
Mesa Blues type, not Metal
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

The Orange tiny terror is a nice little amp to add to the list.
Old 25th April 2012
I quite liked the Night Train when I played it, how big is your budget though? Marshall have some really kickass little 1 watt combos out at the moment for their anniversary, quite expensive (about 800 bucks), but damn they sound good.
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear
Z-28 is a totally different amp - I demoed all of the current line at Truetone in Santa Monica.

The other challenge is the MAZ 38 is a loud amp; you'll never get the power amps working on it with the Princeton if you want to use them both at the same time. A MAZ 18 will get that same sound, but at slightly lower levels. The Mini Z, even lower.

Depends how you're going to use them. If you just want another amp with Vox flavor, by all means go with the MAZ 38. If you want to play them together, you may want a Z with lower wattage.
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Nut

Ha that's funny when I lived in LA, I remember playing the Z's to see if I still wanted one. One of my favorite amps there was a Vox AC-15 that had been made in England so probably 90's?? Maybe that just tells me I should go with an older Vox or Vox clone. Regarding running multiple amps, I saw a youtube clip of someones studio with like 4 different amps (that I think were pretty much all different wattages), and he used a voodoo labs amp switcher that allowed him to switch between all the amps, or any different combination including using all 4 at once.
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear
I use the radial BigShot, which is only a 2 amp switcher or both. usually leave on both as the Z with Fender tremolo on the other amp - it's intoxicating. Enjoy!
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

If you are looking for the polar opposite, a Marshall Class 5 would fit the bill. I struggled with the class 5 overall (because of lack of versatility), but it does dirt and screaming distortion VERY WELL. Volume-wise it might actually be a touch louder than the Princeton...yes, really!

Class 5 on electric (SM7b on the grille, V67G for room):
Human by Ron Vogel | OurStage

I used a AM Std Tele into a fixed-position wah into the amp at full-tilt. The interlude "cleanish" parts were just the tele plugged into the amp
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
If you are looking for the polar opposite, a Marshall Class 5 would fit the bill.
Volume-wise it might actually be a touch louder than the Princeton...yes, really!
That wouldn't surprise me at all. It all depends on the efficiency of the speaker. My 3-watt Champ through my 4x10 Jensen cab produces a good amount of sound. My Maz 38 through my 2x12 EVM 12L cab would have most bar owners asking you to turn it down well before the amp was dimed. It's considerably more tame through My 2x12 Celestion or the stock 12" Celestion (although you could still kicked out of said bar).
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear
I think Vox is a good idea. My favorite that'd match the Princeton for volume would be the original AC15HW-it has both the EF86 and 12AX7 preamps, so you can get all the eras of Vox sound. You'll need a speaker cab to run it into, preferably British Celestion Blues, or Weber Blue Dogs or Alnico Fanes (if you want it REALLY loud) or Emminence Red Fangs.
Old 26th April 2012
Gear Nut

thanks guys!! So Fender Princeton and "Vox" would work better than Fender Princeton and "Plexi" Am I getting enough bass response with strats and teles?? I would probably put WeberF150 with the Princeton (open for suggestions!!!!!) Celestion blue with the Vox, and if I went Marshall instead of Vox, GH12 or Greenback
Old 26th April 2012
Gear Nut

By the way I just listened to clips of a Morgan Abbey, 10 watts EL84 AC style amp, that thing SPOKE to me, on tape anyway
Old 26th April 2012
Gear Nut

Suppose I only had Fender Princeton and low wattage vox type, both 1x12's......would that cover a lot of tone, also assuming good pedal board. I just feel like every studio needs a Marshall cranked through a 4x12...thoughts, feedback??

Thanks!
Old 26th April 2012
I think having a closed back cab is more important. You would be surprised how good other amps sound plugged into that cab. It's a lot of the sound in my opinion. I often run a variety of amps into a claw back for more Marshall character.

It can never hurt to find an old Marshall tho. I know I get excited to walk into a session and find an old JTM or plexi or early JCM 800 or Silver Jubilee. Not all Marshall's are alike tho. Some sound horrible!!
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkeys View Post
thanks guys!! So Fender Princeton and "Vox" would work better than Fender Princeton and "Plexi" Am I getting enough bass response with strats and teles?? I would probably put WeberF150 with the Princeton (open for suggestions!!!!!) Celestion blue with the Vox, and if I went Marshall instead of Vox, GH12 or Greenback
Ehh, I found the Weber to be very "icepicky" in my Princeton. The best speaker I had in ther bar none was a mid 60's Jensen P12R (I already had a 12" baffle).

The circuit seemed to like alnico's better than ceramics, but of course tone is very subjective. The absolute worst speaker I had in there was a late '50s Rola...was like someone threw a blanket over the amp.

Princeton tends to be a bright amp, so you may want to steer clear of components that highlight/enhance that aspect.
Old 26th April 2012
Gear Nut

yea did you have 50 watt weber, think that would suit you better, have also heard Eminence Rajin Cajin for the Princeton......

Just found a JTM45 clone for about a grand!! GRIES JW45

FEW QUESTIONS FELLOWS:

1. What Celestions were used in the original JTM45 Marshall Cabinets ('62-'64)
2. ONLY USING CELESTION HERITAGE and SCUMBACK, what would my best cabinet/speaker choice be for the GRIES JW45 in a recording studio ie: 1x12 with SCUMBACK H75, 2x12 Celestion Heritages, 4x12 Scumbacks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search