The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What pedals have you got that were disappointing to the hype?
Old 27th February 2012
What pedals have you got that were disappointing to the hype?

I saw a thread like this on another site and it was pretty interesting that just about everything you imagine came up on that thread with a "suck" rating by someone. Surprisingly Fulltone hit the bucket on a lot of pedals. Some Caltinbread models, really surprising.
Though it might be interesting to see if any respond.

I have had so many pedals come and go I do not know where to start.

I realized a long time back that any pedal can sound good or bad depending on the player, the guitar, the amp, and more so how it is used.

Anyone game?
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I saw a thread like this on another site and it was pretty interesting that just about everything you imagine came up on that thread with a "suck" rating by someone. Surprisingly Fulltone hit the bucket on a lot of pedals. Some Caltinbread models, really surprising.
Though it might be interesting to see if any respond.

I have had so many pedals come and go I do not know where to start.

I realized a long time back that any pedal can sound good or bad depending on the player, the guitar, the amp, and more so how it is used.

Anyone game?
Over the years I bought and sold again a lot of pedals. Most of the time it was a matter of different expectations and not so much the SUCK factor. I bought and sold probably 10-15 delay pedals over the last few years till I arrived at my current live setup (EH Memory Man w/Tap Tempo + a vintage Copycat tape delay).

But to answer your question, it mainly was Fulltone for me as well that left me very unexcited. I owned two FullDrive2s, an OCD V1 and a SoulBender and they all were sold off again. Build quality was great but soundwise I thought that these pedals were really lacking. The most dissapointing Fulltone experience were the cables though, unusable really.

I was also less that impressed with the Line 6 DL4, even after having it modded by Keeley. The mod made it sound better but I still thought that the sounds were a pale shadow of the pedals that are being emulated.

Electro Harmonix is a case in point: I find some of their pedals to be among the best and others to be seriously lacking. That is true even for variations of specific models. I used a Deluxe Memory Boy w/Tap tempo for a while specifically for slapback so I really didn't need the tap tempo function and the other options on it. I thought it was a good idea to downsize to the Nano version (cleverly called 'Memory Toy') only to find that it totally killed the sound. The next try was the Memory Boy (without Tap Tempo) that also saves a bit of pedalboard real estate. While It sounded better than the Nano version it still was inferior to its bigger brother.

Quote:
I agree and Danelectro is a case in point. Some of their pedals are incredible I think but the build quality is really bad - you get what you pay for. So I use things like the Fabtone, French Toast and French Fries pedals quite a bit in the studio but found them to be very unreliable for live use.
Old 27th February 2012
The Cool Cat series of Danelectro are solidly built and the Univibe one sounds awesome and is True Bypass, which may or may not be good depending on you chain. I build my own so most of them don't suck! But one pedal who was really disappointing in the many, many pedals I have built, bought, borrowed and tried is the Boss DS-1 in stock form. Modded it can sound ok, but not for me.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarplexus311 View Post
But one pedal who was really disappointing in the many, many pedals I have built, bought, borrowed and tried is the Boss DS-1 in stock form. Modded it can sound ok, but not for me.
Well, that only goes to show how taste and likes vary!

I'm a huge fan of the DS-1, albeit the AnalogMan version. I really don't like the pronounced midrange character of Tube Screamers and all Fulltone pedals I've tried. The DS-1 really retains the low end and has a very 'natural' sounding distortion character that works really well.

The Analog Man mid really gets rid of any thinness and a while ago I also got the version with the additional Midrange control which is seriously good. It lets me dial in just a hint more mids to cut through better. I found that I had to back down the volume quite a bit because that pedal sounds very powerful now.

Another thought: 'to the hype' really nails it in the title. Hype is everywhere these days but nowhere near as bad as with guitar pedals. It's totally ridiculous how every new pedal (or even the latest revision of a specific pedal ร  la Fulltone) is advertised as being 'the best-ever', 'a game changer' or just generally the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I mentioned the Copicat tape echo above and this was really a revelation to me. I realized that nothing, absolutely nothing in pedal-form will ever get close to a tape echo sound no matter what the claim and be it digital or bucket-brigade or whatever. Those boxes have their place but just like tube amps, you need the real thing to get that specific sound and no 'Marshall in a box' pedal will ever get close, even remotely so.

Again, I love pedals but I could live without most of the hype and claims....
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Fulltone Clyde Wah

I love wah wah pedals and I'm always keen to try out different ones. My pedal board often has three wah pedals on it, Fulltone Clyde, Steve Vai Morley and a stock Dunlop Cry Baby.

If I can only have one it would be the stock Cry Baby, I love the boost it adds. I've owned at least four of these over the years and I'd say my most recent one (purchased about 1.5 years ago) is one of the best ever.

The first one to get booted off the pedal board is the Fulltone Clyde. It has an interesting tone but it's more susceptible to picking up AC line noise and it just does not scream (like the Cry Baby) without some added boost or a distortion pedal. Not sure what I expected from the Clyde but for over $200 I did expect more.

This is another one of those "try it before you buy it" situations. I did have a return period but could not make up my mind or try the Clyde in enough situations to determine that it was not a value for me. Since I paid that much for it I feel compelled to keep trying to find that special situation where it sounds better than the others. So far the $70 Crybaby eats it for lunch in all situations.

Good music to all of you!
Old 27th February 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
My pedal board often has three wah pedals on it, Fulltone Clyde, Steve Vai Morley and a stock Dunlop Cry Baby.
Hah, not THAT is cool! Pics? How many roadies do you employ to carry your pedalboard?

BTW, have you tried the handwired Vox? VOX V846hw Wah Wah

I'm curious because I like the Vox sound but found the one I had to be a tone killer. I really love my Colorsound Wah too but again, it kills the sound when part of the chain so I only use it for recording.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

I was really disappointed with the MXR Phase 90/45s. They don't sound bad, but I like phasers that can really go deep and the MXRs can't; too groomed and controlled/contained, but I suppose that's what a lot of folks like about them.

Just about any pedal with a tube in it was a disapointment too (some expensive boutique stuff excepted, but I can't be buying pedals that cost more than my amps).
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Nut

Sorry but, the new script MXR Phase 45 is brilliant and very deep however, much of this depends on where in the chain it's set but that's another topic..for vibe-like tones it's sweet and lush different from the Phase 90.
Old 27th February 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
I build my own so most of them don't suck!
Same here.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

I'll bet that everyone has different opinions on pedals based on different expectations. I've gone through a lot of pedals over the years, and have come to the following conclusions. Boss pedals are mediocre. They're never the worst, and never the best. I have owned, and still own a lot of Boss pedals, but if I lost any of them, I don't think I'd replace them with more Boss pedals.

In fact, there are only three pedals that I thrill me. My TS9 tube screamer. I did some modifications to it a long time ago, and I can't remember what. I just know I opened it up to see how the switch was wired in and noticed that I had messed with the circuit at some point in the past and forgot. I love to mod things, so this was bound to happen. I usually have the tone set to 1, the drive all the way down and the volume all the way up. It gives my amps a nice crunch! In fact, this pedal is on about 90% of the time (On my tube amps, I usually dime the master volume and use the gain or preamp volume to control the amps volume).

Number two is my Russian Big Muff Pi. I love it's fuzzy sustain! It doesn't sound like a tube amp, it sounds like a Big Muff Pi. I don't use it often, but when I need something that's heavy and distorted beyond all recognition, the Big Muff into the Tubescreamer does the trick!

Lastly is the Line 6 DL4. Does it sound like anything it's trying to emulate? No. Not much anyway. But it's extremely flexible, and has relatively low noise. It'll suck your tone a bit, but I haven't found the versatility I can get out of this thing in an analog delay.

None of those pedals are what you would call "boutique". My point is, everyone is looking for something different, so no one pedal is going to fill everyone's niche. In fact, I have a Boss OC2 octave pedal that goes haywire when you try to play a chord through it. And that chaotic effect is why I keep it around. So you could say I use that pedal, not for how good it sounds, but for how bad it sounds. On a side note, I think my next pedal might be the "Robot" by Death by Audio.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear
Here goes:
Tube Screamer - meh. bought one and never used it; sent it to Keeley for modding, and now like it better, but only on certain amps.

MXR Micro Flanger - was expecting lush deep flanging, and this didn't deliver.

MXR Carbon Copy - I own an original AD9 delay, so was hoping for something similar. Not totally disappointing, but not enough to retire the AD9.

MXR Phase 90 - I didn't mind mine - it definitely sounded lush enough, but didn't have the original or the 45 or 100 to compare to. Took it off my pedalboard as wasn't using it enough.

Boss DS-1 - how can you be disappointed in a $40 pedal? You get what you pay for. Bought one when I was young, thought it sounded like a jar of angry bees. sold.
Old 27th February 2012
MXR Distortion +. Just got it. Using it with Moog Voyager so there is a problem with gain but because I also have Carbon Copy and it is great I thought the Distortion + would be equally good. So far it is not but I have not used it enough to really know. Just my impression so far.
Old 27th February 2012
I'd have to say that I was disappointed with the following (and they have been sold on)

Fulltone OCD V1.4

Blackstar HT Dual (liked the sound, but was not a reliable pedal and kept playing up)

Line 6 DM-4 awful awful sounding pedal!

Old 28th February 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrablu View Post
Sorry but, the new script MXR Phase 45 is brilliant and very deep however, much of this depends on where in the chain it's set but that's another topic..for vibe-like tones it's sweet and lush different from the Phase 90.
+1. The phase 45 is an awesome subtle phase with a clean signal and a perfect wet phase after an overdrive. IMO of course.
Old 28th February 2012
One pedal that was VERY disappointing too is the Boss PS-5. Almost 200$ and the Behringer copy which is 50$ sounds better. Hard to believe? Maybe so, but I had both and it is true.
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrablu
+1. The phase 45 is an awesome subtle phase with a clean signal and a perfect wet phase after an overdrive. IMO of course.
See this is all fair enough; different strokes etc, but 'subtle' is exactly the thing I am not looking for in a phaser personally (and I agree that's what the MXRs are). Which is why I like the comparatively crazy Japanese ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Gremlin View Post
See this is all fair enough; different strokes etc, but 'subtle' is exactly the thing I am not looking for in a phaser personally (and I agree that's what the MXRs are). Which is why I like the comparatively crazy Japanese ones.
I like crazy phasers too. Actually I like both. For subtle, a Phase 45. For crazy, I always go for a Small Stone or a PH-2. The PH-2 is wwwwwaaaaaayyyy too bright for some applications, so you have to use it in the right situations.
Old 29th February 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrablu View Post
Interesting:
My thoughts on the MXR series.
I have owned and used at one time (originals) the MXR 45, 90 and 100.
They were not really intense or deep phases with the 45 being only a 2 stage phaser, the 90 is a 4 stage, and I think the 100 was also a 4 stage phaser (that was sort of the tech back then, no phase really kicked up the classic sweep without a gain in front and we always used to put any modulation after dirt pedals, everyone used that chain, in front is a new thing. It is not however how to get that EVH phaser tone, not really.)

I think the best of the lot is the EVH model 90 as one gets both the circuit tone of the BLOCK letter and the script 90 plus true by pass. Not a bad phaser, I feel the 90 is the best and increases its phase with some dirt before or after. A love of players love and recommend a phase before dirt, not for me, I have experimented with an infinite variation of all pedals in every config of chain. There is an acute difference in running a phase into a gained amp alias the real EVH tone verses a phase into a gain box. Some like it, not me. They say the sound sucks after but having cut my teeth on the original phasers and univibe stuff many moons ago it's all in the ears really. If you like it and it speaks to you, bravo.

The simple sonic analysis of the phaser thing is simply more stages more depth, there are 10 stage phasers but that does not mean it will sound better for you, deeper is not necessarily the better. I find myself always returning to the classic 4 stage and the Vibe is typically and originally a 4 stage whacked phaser. Phase in front decreases bandwidth and sweep clarity, while it can sound OK depending on the gain it is run into. I just cannot bring myself to like it. Someone once put it as phase > dirt = bigger dirt, dirt > phase = bigger phase. Personally I tend to run all modulation in my loop for the clarity and head room of the sweep. Exceptions are the phase which I thing sounds best end of chain into the amp in to give it some preamping and allow for an into amp gain option. Also the Vibe pedal can sound good on amp in or into dirt pedals depending on the pedals. Once again sweep clarity is reduced, bandwidth is muddled but gets a cool pulse whip that Trower gets which warbles the notes into a feedback if sustained. However, if you want that cool cleaner Hendrix Univibe tone, Vibe into amp set clean and I find a subtle compressor really brings that tone out. Hendrix ran his Vibe after his Fuzz because a Fixx cannot handle phase distortion, I am sure someone out there will say I do this and it kills but JFC there are some dufus players out there with really terrible ideas on tone. Nothing suits everyone but there are some rules in the arena where it is often said there are no rules. Anyone running a delay into a dirt pedal, seriously, that is a rule. Why screw up a good and beautiful chorus into a dirt pedal, sounds muddled and terrible because an element of a chorus is a delay. Exceptions to in dirt are Phaser, Vibe and Flange but ALWAYS into a gained amp will sound better than a pedal. so kids, a 45 2 stage cannot be deeper and bolder than a 4 stage 90 and there are two distinc types of the MXR 90. The EVH model has both. Not a bad phaser, I have had worse but for a one knob use it or lose it, it remains a very good sounding pedal.
Old 29th February 2012
My disappointments of the last year:
I have to say Fulltone for me has been a large disappointing effort.
(they also get killed on other threads I have seen elsewhere of pedal disappointments.)

With one exception the DejaVibe, a really great original modernized Univibe circuit. Remains on my board, all others went to the trade off box.

GT-500 - hated the distortion voice, did not last a week
Dist Pro - this is a reject by so many on other "disappointment" threads as to be a stand out. Trower used one way pre OCD and RTO days but with the gain fulldown and stacked w another drive. I was not brave enough to try it after the GT. I decided I hate JFET distortion for the most part.

Fat Boost - I sort of liked this pedal (v3), had a good clean tone enhancing boost, BUT any turn up of the Drive and God I hated that dist voice. Also a terrible hum on this unit going anything above 9v, there at 9v but down in the noise floor. Anyone trying to talk to Fulltone gets the typical "treat you like an ass" response and be must be your cables or your power supply. Just cannot be the pedal... (in the box). Also anyone who does that daisy chain of power supplies Fulltone HATES that and pops and hums constantly.

FullDrive 2 - wanted to like this pedal so much, really tried. It is really more a cleaner boost which is more what I like anyway but use the boost (which does not work independent) and got that dist I hate comes in. Some do a mod on this to break the boost free of the circuit, have not tried it but sounds interesting.

Had several OCDs. Liked the v1 but as my taste matured I went on to other pedals. Missed the tone, I thought, I got a v4. Was a different pedal, more gainy and fizzy more like a distortion pedal and not one I like. I tried a mod to remove one of the final stage gain diodes which did help the pedal, biggest problem, no ability to really tweak the EQ tone.
And my central peeve with all overdrives, the 3 knob BS. I got tired of the TS overdrive thing and all the clones thereof, any 3 knob overdrive and I am turned off, needs to have some option switches or separate bass, treble rather than the ever popular Fulltone treble rolloff which is not really a "tone" control. The OCD tone is not a tone but a treble roll off, no ability to adjust the low end and what if you do not want to always roll off your treble? I have a Stellar Tone control on one of my Strats which is a high pass filter does it if you want it without cutting your tone in half. Some rave on the OCD, whatever floats your boat.

Suit yourself but no more Fulltone for me.
Old 29th February 2012
I've also been really disappointed with Fulltone stuff so far - this includes the Fulldrive 2, OCD, and Bass Drive. The build quality has been excellent but the sounds have been kind of uninspiring. You can get great sounds from them, but they just don't have that "it's hard to make it sound bad" quality that comes from great gear. I do like that they are always iterating on their designs.
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Well, FWIW I spent a few hours this afternoon blasting through my Fender Champ and working on my pedalboard and a few things will go:

Xotic EP Booster

Had V1 which boosted too much even at unity, sold it and bought the current version which lets you set the internal Dip to Unity Gain. (Go figure)
I just realized that I don't need this pedal though. It DOESN'T make everythign sound better like the hype says. Rather it makes everything a tad more shining and polished which often isn't what I want. And there is a noticable loss in dynamics when the pedal is engaged.

Electro-Harmonix Memory Man w/Tap Tempo

Certainly a great delay and as fancy as analog designs go. But I realized that the more LoFi-sounding Deluxe Memory Boy works so much better for me because the delay doesn't interfere with the dry sound too much. it really adds a great vibey atmosphere and it's quite versatile with its tap tempo function and expression pedal modes.

Ernie Ball volume pedal

Used this for quite a while but the Boss FV-500H is just better, considerably so I think.
Old 29th February 2012
Ngr
Gear Maniac

Boss Loop Station
Lovepedal les Lius
Dunlop tremolo
Lovetone Meatball
MXR Dyna Comp reissue
Any Boss phaser

Best pedals ever

Ibanez TS-9
Klon centaur
TC Electronic Booster-Distortion
Boss DM-2
EH Small Stone
ProCo RAT fluo logo
EH Big Muff Civil War
Sovtek Big Muff
Ibanez Echo Machine
MXR vintage micro flanger
Old 2nd March 2012
So far I have found Wampler pedals to be great and versatile pedals, I hold Barber and Lovepedal in regard although I see a Lovepedal on the list. I like that Amp 11 pedal myself seems to be like a Timmy w a boost, getting harder to find one.

I think the Xiotic booster.OD pedals are great.Robot filter pedal seems cool.

Sort of lost my attraction for Boss pedals and only a few Electro Harmonix of the newer designs.
Looking for better boutique designer pedals rather than el cheapo pedals. I cannot bring myself to use a Behringer and some others. trying to stay with a decent by pass wiring.

So far I like the Hardwire series of pedals, the TC toneprint series, All my Wampler pedals, quite fond that new redesign Ibanez Tube King red gain box.
MXR CAE Wah, Radial buffer clean boost pedal is suburb
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Guru

Morley Stereo Chorus Flanger. Noisy even by mid 80s standards, and the pedal would never stay tight.

MXR Omni rack. OK, maybe the mid 80s weren't a great era for noise.
Old 4th March 2012
MXR Phase 90
Boss Metal Zone
Boss Tremelo
Rat
Dunlop Fuzzface
EH USA Big Muff
EH Holy Grail
Digitech Whammy 2
Morley Wah
Vox Wah
Bionic Expandora
ZVex Fuzz Probe
Zvex Lofi Loop Junkie
Sans Amp Classic
Rocktron Hush
Rocktron Rampage
Dunlop Rotovibe
Boss volume pedal
Old 4th March 2012
The zvex stuff is awesome!! Just didn't work for what I'm doing.
Old 4th March 2012
This is interesting stuff to be sure. One players gold bar is another's mud brick. I sort of thought that is the way it would go.
To be honest w the continual development of my board I have few pedals to sustain the constant changing. I also find you just get sick of something after awhile and just want some new tones.

Seems like a dice roll no matter what you get or try, I find the infinite variations in one's guitar and amp, much less their touch and style, make sure wins sort of impossible. I think we can all agree any experienced player can make anything sound decent but to run across that magic box which just sings and makes you want to keep playing is a rare thing indeed. Might work magic on one guitar or amp and not on another. Seems like the more experienced one gets the more problematic the issue becomes. And what about those days when nothing seems to sound right, is that your ears or what?
Old 4th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is interesting stuff to be sure. One players gold bar is another's mud brick. I sort of thought that is the way it would go.
To be honest w the continual development of my board I have few pedals to sustain the constant changing. I also find you just get sick of something after awhile and just want some new tones.

Seems like a dice roll no matter what you get or try, I find the infinite variations in one's guitar and amp, much less their touch and style, make sure wins sort of impossible. I think we can all agree any experienced player can make anything sound decent but to run across that magic box which just sings and makes you want to keep playing is a rare thing indeed. Might work magic on one guitar or amp and not on another. Seems like the more experienced one gets the more problematic the issue becomes. And what about those days when nothing seems to sound right, is that your ears or what?
Great observations and I agree with everything you say!

'Touch and style' is really the keyword here I think. Even after +30 years of playing I'm amazed at the tonal variations you can get just by using your (usually) right hand in different ways. It's all about overtones and once you add distortion, the effect becomes even way more intense.

So it seems only natural that distortion pedals work so differently for different players. For me, using my volume and tone controls on the guitar is really important and I try to adjust those for every phrase I play. What I noticed though is that a lot of players just go 'full-on' all the time and very often this muddies up the chord voicings. I tend to think that a lot of players are just insensitive to this stuff.

Frankly, I'm disappointed with about 95% of all the 'pedal shootouts' I see on YouTube, etc. In most cases, effects get used in such an obvious and unmusical way that is just painful. I learned NOT to trust these things because it can be very misleading.

But the biggest issue is that almost all of these 'tests' are done in isolation whereas most of your time will (hopefully) be spent playing with bands or being part of multi-track recordings. What might work great in your basement might totally suck in context. It's a lesson i still experience even after all those years but I think being aware of the problem is already an important step for better dealing with it.

Another biggie for me is gain staging/loading. A pedal might sound and respond totally different depending on the placement in the chain or whether a buffer amp is used, etc. I'm still trying to figure out this as well. My ZVex Super Hard On went back on the pedalboard this weekend right after taking pics for its e-bay sale. I really like part of what it does when used as a buffer but there's a payoff with a somewhat thinner sound... it never stops.

As for the days when nothing sounds right I think a lot of it is psychology. You might not be used to the sound of the venue you're playing in or it might even be the humidity that makes the guitar go out of tune faster. On days like these, I try to 'stay out of the way' as much as possible. Even though I might not feel good, I trust that a lot of what I do still comes through due to experience and the fact that a listener will hear the music without the mental baggage I might carry in my head when producing it.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

metal zone, pretty much all stock Roland pedals - they are simply too noisy IMO and not quality enough to use in a chain. Exception being maybe some of the classic DD pedals which has a unique sounding delay. Mostly though, all new models are crap.

Another strike for Tube Screamer, maybe it's only some specific models that have good funk but not the ones I've seen in Guitar Center
Old 5th March 2012
amen to that "door"
youtube is often a terrible joke

I can handle a few demo guys like Brett Kingman (burgerman666) but few others. Shoot outs are indeed a huge joke, but you have to love the knobs on 12:00 comparisons, really, anyone ever really use a pedal knobs on 12:00?? Most sound really thin and mid range on those smaller amps and the way or means by which they are recording to youtube. I still look at a pedal the best I can when I am considering it because I know what I could do with it verses what I am hearing.

What they do to some of the high gain distortion pedals is a crime. God, how do they manage to make them sound so terrible? Then a good pedal gets a bad name from just a bad video. I get the upload limitations and inherent compression issues can be a problem but Brett gets surprisingly good quality tones even using a lot of the smaller amps. His Wampler pedal demos all sound quite good.

I love pedals myself but there are days when nothing sounds right. I played today and apparently my preamp tubes are so gone I just gave up trying to make anything sound right. It's getting to be a pain having to toss out $200 for a set of decent tubes.
๐Ÿ“ Reply