The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What pedals have you got that were disappointing to the hype?
Old 24th July 2013 | Show parent
I have not noticed Beck playing a Rat in many a year. I do not hear the apparent sound of it since around 2000. I thought he had been using a Klon for some time. The Rat is a buzz fest that lacks articulation, not that it sounds bad but Jeff's tone has improved substantially in the last years.
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I have not noticed Beck playing a Rat in many a year. I do not hear the apparent sound of it since around 2000. I thought he had been using a Klon for some time. The Rat is a buzz fest that lacks articulation, not that it sounds bad but Jeff's tone has improved substantially in the last years.
Yep. Thats one of the things i like about it. The drive, compression, sustain and ability to cut right through a dense mix. We discussed Gilmour earlier and its come to my attention that he also had it on his board which i wasnt aware of.

I recieved my Fuzz from Black Arts and im glad i bought it. I actually removed my bc108 from the board. Its a great pedal and i love the more open tone. The silicon mode is excellent! Im boosting it with my xotic ac plus and what a tone! Thanks for the tip
Old 25th July 2013 | Show parent
It is rare to come across a pedal that is able to work for everyone.
I am not sure any pedal is bad, per se', some just work better with the chemistry of your hands and gear.
There are some stinkers out there and while some of us may not find a particular pedal to our tastes, someone might love it. I have tanked the HD POD a few times but indeed it has its moments, the digital back end effects are quiet good. The amp models are workable given the proper rig to handle them. Game killers for me were the level drops on the effects loop and the main units not unity as claimed. One cannot integrate externals especially front end drives and gains. As well as a mutual agreement the front end effects of the overdrive and gain nature blow. Line 6 is obviously hiding the digital noise floor hiss by keeping the levels down. You have to keep the internal levels between effects down as well or the hiss builds. They opt for and hope most use their 4CM method with an amp so the levels are not noticed and there are no external effects in the loop which do not have the level to work.

So with that considered, I often do a double take on something I thought was supposed to be great that someone else tanked. It is possible to get a bad tone out of anything by just adjusting or tweaking it out wrong. Some things like the POD have good and bad points.

One reason I often spend an entire session trying new settings and combinations on various pedals rather than finding that sweet spot on a pedal and staying with it only to get bored with it eventually and trying something new.

This thread is interesting as some will come up with a bomb alert on something like a Klon. I would love to have one myself. But the combination of my Kalamazoo and black AMP 11 render the same sort of tone and more.

Some use and love Boss pedals but I find I have moved away from them over the years. Too many buffer pedals that keep messing with your signal even when off wore rather thin on me. It's easy to lift the loading and degrade from a chain of bypass pedals but not so easy to fix too many buffers.
Old 25th July 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
Yep. Thats one of the things i like about it. The drive, compression, sustain and ability to cut right through a dense mix. We discussed Gilmour earlier and its come to my attention that he also had it on his board which i wasnt aware of.

I recieved my Fuzz from Black Arts and im glad i bought it. I actually removed my bc108 from the board. Its a great pedal and i love the more open tone. The silicon mode is excellent! Im boosting it with my xotic ac plus and what a tone! Thanks for the tip
I used to have one, would not mind having the JHS mod on one (or was it Keeley doing that pedal). It is a decent distortion but I did not find it have very good note or chord definition. It can crank no doubt. Jeff has some wicked tones with it but some of his other works using the Klon and such have been a better overall tone and more pleasing to the ear. The tone is more of a filter and I somewhat dislike single tone control pedals. The more bells and whistles the more options for use. You cannot clean up the Rat much or define its voicing because of no tone controls. Makes me wonder how much the mods might improve it.
Old 26th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I would say that even though I really dug the premise, I got a used MXR Variphase last year and it did nothing for me. I loved the idea of a treadle version of their phaser, but realized that since it's set up as a switchless pedal, your foot has to stay on it to keep it activated. Similarly to Dunlop's newer wahs. One of the Boss's DD pedals has an expression out and that's what got me thinking "what if" for knobs on other effects. I saw the Variphase used for under $100 and grabbed it. It's not that bad sounding, but the functionality if it is what became a turn off. I'll keep my Ross and Small Stone.

Talking about the Rats, I've played through Reinhardt's Willard and that is as good as a Rat as there ever was IMO (comparing it to some of the older ones I've played). I met him at an amp show, super nice guy, and he quit making the pedals before he quit making his amps (which are just as awesome). There's somebody that takes Rats and mods them and paints them green. I can't remember you, but I was always curious about them.

I always say never spend more than $20 on a DS-1, because anybody should be able to get a functioning sound out of them and if you have thoughts about getting into modding pedals, that's a good place to start.

I tend to buy used pedals because most of the time I'm just a plug in and play kind of guy. Pedals can cure boredom for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I used to have one, would not mind having the JHS mod on one (or was it Keeley doing that pedal). It is a decent distortion but I did not find it have very good note or chord definition. It can crank no doubt. Jeff has some wicked tones with it but some of his other works using the Klon and such have been a better overall tone and more pleasing to the ear. The tone is more of a filter and I somewhat dislike single tone control pedals. The more bells and whistles the more options for use. You cannot clean up the Rat much or define its voicing because of no tone controls. Makes me wonder how much the mods might improve it.
Agreed, chords tend to sound somewhat muddy on it.
Despite Jeff's wonderful studio tricks and tasteful use of effects.
I still love the Wired album.
Jeff tends to render us some real fuzzed out madness at appropriate times then incredible clarity and tone with this beautiful trail reverb that does not lose the tone (Lexicon). The Rat has its uses for the occasional burn fest but not as a central base tone.
When you compare live tones, you can clearly hear the Rat on some things and I guess it is the Klon on others. Compare Live at BB King's around 2000 with Live At Ronnie's Scott's in 2010. You can hear the mud in the Rat, not bad tones but lacks the clarity and note definition one gets on Ronnie Scott' with I believe is a Klon, I know the amp is a JTM45, beautiful tones. Also a tc dynamic delay and lexicon rackmount reverb. You can see either the delay or the reverb sitting on top the amp Jeff tweaks once in awhile.
Still think the JHS or Keeley mod would do wonders for that box. Keeley even made Boss playable for me some years back, although I have moved on since.
Old 27th July 2013
Old 28th July 2013
Lives for gear

Almost anything made by Fulltone. I know, I know, a lot of people love it. I just have never hear a "great sound" from any of their pedals. It's always like "Okay, so it's another distortion pedal, big deal?"

There are so many better companies out there making pedals IMO. Blackout effectors, Caroline, Xotic, Wampler, Catalinbread, Lovepedal, Skreddy, Emerson, Fuzzhugger....ALL of which are stunning.
Old 29th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Fulltone OCD.
Old 29th July 2013
Gear Maniac

my answer would be any chorus pedal past 1994
Old 30th July 2013
Gear Guru

Tube Screamer RI. Overpriced & never use it

I prefer my Danelectro Daddy O
Old 31st July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosty999 View Post
my answer would be any chorus pedal past 1994
There are SO FEW out there that actually do a decent chorus. This is so true. I must admit - the TC Electronic Corona is OKAY, primarily because of the Dan Huff settings...haha.
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

EHX Micro Synth original. The options for mixing signals are not as good as I assumed they'd be. :/
Old 31st July 2013
Here for the gear
unfortunately, tubescreamer. I really wanted to like it, but it just wasn't for me. I'm using a visual sound drivetrain now and it just seems to work better for what I do.
Old 31st July 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaFeetRBig View Post
unfortunately, tubescreamer. I really wanted to like it, but it just wasn't for me. I'm using a visual sound drivetrain now and it just seems to work better for what I do.
A friend of mine used a Tube Screamer for the Steve Jones Sex Pistols guitar sound. He played a Les Paul through a Tube Screamer and a Fender Twin and it was perfect. The TS was great for punk stuff that I played in the early 90s, but it's been a cricket house for me ever since.
Old 31st July 2013
Gear Guru

Apparently, I'm not the only one who thought the Tube Screamer was kinda Meh.
Old 31st July 2013
Gear Guru

The Danelectro Daddy O is super affordable if you can find them, and seem to have just the right amount of edge.

I've had several friends A/B mine with the Tube Screamer and side by side, they agreed the Daddy O just sounded better.
Old 1st August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm a big fan of the Reverend Drivetrain II as well. Never got a lot of use from a tube screamer... they do have an iconic sound though. I always think, "blues."
Old 10th August 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I'm a big fan of the Reverend Drivetrain II as well. Never got a lot of use from a tube screamer... they do have an iconic sound though. I always think, "blues."
I found the TS really hard to work with. For some reason it really didn't want to cooperate with the rest of my set up. Thoroughly disappointed!
Old 11th August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
I found the TS really hard to work with. For some reason it really didn't want to cooperate with the rest of my set up. Thoroughly disappointed!
It just cuts out so much bass and adds so much in the mids. The drivetrain, and others (like the Boss OD-3), are more full range sounding, especially when it comes to bass.
Old 14th August 2013
Gear Maniac
AnalogMan Chorus. Ibanez TS9. Boss DD-5. Holy grail reverb (this was actually cool in a vocal fx loop). All of this stuff sounded good, but you realize that its just a pedal, and that expensive things necessarily sound better than cheaper things. Probably less noisy, but the effect is always going to be subjective.
Old 17th August 2013
Here for the gear

All of them.
None can compare to what I've got in my rack.
But I can't take my racks everywhere so I must compromise and pedals must be used to accomplish that.

But to be honest in comparison to the rack gear I've got they all seriously disappoint.
Old 17th August 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatZ View Post
All of them.
None can compare to what I've got in my rack.
But I can't take my racks everywhere so I must compromise and pedals must be used to accomplish that.

But to be honest in comparison to the rack gear I've got they all seriously disappoint.
Money and cost do have a bearing on quality. Lamborghini is pretty expensive should be better than a Corvette. There is a wide range of quality in floor pedals you get what you pay for.
I have never gotten what all the yada is regarding the Tubescreamer, I never thought much of it when I had an original one, long time ago. I prefer the Klon myself.
Old 3rd October 2013 | Show parent
Adding to my list of trial and errors.
The DLS Versa Vibe
thought I was getting a better pedal than my Deja1 but just not a good vibe pedal for me. Have to have the real photcell circuit and no one does that better and more retentive than Fuller. The new MDV3 is the one. Returned the DLS. Some like this pedal but for me it was more an out of control chorus whack than a true vibe, if you like that sort of chorus. Wasn't for me. When I want Trower I want the vibe upfront, this pedal seemed to hate being in front of anything.
Old 3rd October 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

the digitech synth wah. was really interested in it because some of my favorite guitarists allegedly used it, but couldn't ever get a useful sound out of it. sold it soon afterwards, but probably should have spent more time with it...
Old 4th October 2013
As general marketing technique for pedals is something like, "Buy this and you'll be a rich, famous superstar, sound like Clapton, Page, Jack White and Pat Methany rolled into one, your wife will come back to you, you will be young forever, your hair will regrow, and your car will magically have brand new tires," I'd way none of them live up to the hype.
Old 6th October 2013 | Show parent
I think if someone buys anything to sound like someone it is pretty much a flawed premise and a myth. You could pick up someone's guitar and entire rig and not sound like them. The guitar is not a mechanical mimic, everyone's hands and the brain that controls them is infinitely variant, thankfully.
Seems like a lot of companies prey upon the neophyte players in marketing crap. Multiprocessor Presets in general are the bane of such things.
I like how they have marketed low wattage amps at nearly the same cost or more gutting the power out of them under the guise of loudness. Once bad notions and opinions are formed they are hell to modify with facts.

I find my biggest disappointments are usually drive pedals, a lot of hype and yada and seldom do the pedals deliver close to their claims. I do have to mention a couple pedals that just floored me recently that for once actually do contain and function as to what is claimed. I have not been a Fulltone user much in a couple years, but I have to hand it to Mr. Fuller, that Clyde Custom Deluxe Wah and the new DejaVibe III are just outstanding pro level pedals.
Best damn versatile wah I have ever used and I have had my share of a bunch of them. And the MDV3 quad photocell Vibe is suburb.

Drive pedals tend to piss me off and I am constantly rotating my collection. Have to hand it to Lovepedal and Wampler they seem to keep rising to the top. I dig my great Klon clone but some of the other ones are not laid in the dust by the Klon, now there is a cruiseliner of hype and lore to be sure. Cool pedal, but the con of playing nearly a couple grand, seriously, great pedal but so not worth that much,
๐Ÿ“ Reply