Current amps:
Mesa 2 channel Triple Rec
Marshall DSL 100
Peavey 6505+
Peavey JSX

Cabs:
Mesa Traditional 4x12
Marshall 2x12 w/ Eminence V30 and Greenback
Random cab with a 75, V30, and two other speakers. Gonna replace those speakers to make it a bastard cab of tone.

On my To-Buy list:
Mesa MkIV
Vox AC30 handwired combo
Fender Twin
Bogner Uberkab
Ampeg SVT and 4x10 cab (cause I have to pretend the bass matters. I kid, I kid)

If I can't get any possible tone I need from some combination of that gear, then the problem is me.
Old 25th July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revson View Post
Current amps:
Mesa 2 channel Triple Rec
Marshall DSL 100
Peavey 6505+
Peavey JSX

Cabs:
Mesa Traditional 4x12
Marshall 2x12 w/ Eminence V30 and Greenback
Random cab with a 75, V30, and two other speakers. Gonna replace those speakers to make it a bastard cab of tone.

On my To-Buy list:
Mesa MkIV
Vox AC30 handwired combo
Fender Twin
Bogner Uberkab

If I can't get any possible tone I need from some combination of that gear, then the problem is me.
Killer amps man. No way I can afford all that. I am allowed a couple good quality amps but they have to be bang for the buck and not over the top mega bucks.
Old 26th July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Killer amps man. No way I can afford all that. I am allowed a couple good quality amps but they have to be bang for the buck and not over the top mega bucks.
Thanks! Compared to some of these guys my collection is nothing, though. I was lucky enough to find some good deals on eBay and craigslist so it didn't have to give up an arm or leg. To be fair, I think the JSX is one of the best "bang for you buck" amps out there and definitely undervalued by many guitar players. It's seriously a "do anything" amp.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revson View Post
Current amps:

On my To-Buy list:
Mesa MkIV
Vox AC30 handwired combo
Fender Twin
Bogner Uberkab
Or just get one Matchless or Top Hat
Old 26th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just got a Matchless HC30 and ESS 112 Sampson Era....so excited to have it! Was tossing up between Bad Cat, Top Hat or maybe Orange and went with the HC...I do mostly pop productions and am a synth guy, so this I am hoping would be the go-to studio amp for guitars with DI/Sansamp. I have a JC77 for nice cleans and that chorus sound as well as an old Univox U45B to mix it up....
I think I'm done with amps for a while....lol
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
3 Monkeys Orangutan combo
1966 all original Fender Pro Reverb
Orange Rockerverb 50
Bogner Shiva el34 2x12 combo
50th anniversary African mahogany Vox ac30h2l
Peavey classic 50 2x12 combo
Kemper profiling amp
Old 27th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Publicly airing my inability to limit my gear purchasing behavior:

Vox AC30 w/ Celestion Blues (1993 Korg-era)
Marshall 200w Major (aka, "The Pig" 1969)
Marshall 100w Plexi
Marshall HW 2061
Dr. Z Rt 66
Motionsound AR112 (Leslie-style rotator)
Fender DR (Silverface 1973)
Fender PR (Silverface 1970)
Supro Thunderbolt (1967)
Silvertone 1481 (1964)

Cabs:
Marshall 4 x 12 (original Greenbacks, 1969)
Avatar 2 x 12 (closed-back; 1 Greenback, 1 Vintage 30)
Marshall 2 x 12 (open-back; 2 G12Hs)
Old 27th July 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Just got a Matchless HC30 and ESS 112 Sampson Era....so excited to have it! Was tossing up between Bad Cat, Top Hat or maybe Orange and went with the HC...I do mostly pop productions and am a synth guy, so this I am hoping would be the go-to studio amp for guitars with DI/Sansamp. I have a JC77 for nice cleans and that chorus sound as well as an old Univox U45B to mix it up....
I think I'm done with amps for a while....lol
I HAD a DC-30, Sampson, miss it. Mistake. But a Club Royale, any year, will ease the pain!

Bad Cats are really awsome, Orange can go both ways imo.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by godotzilla View Post
Publicly airing my inability to limit my gear purchasing behavior:

Vox AC30 w/ Celestion Blues (1993 Korg-era)
Marshall 200w Major (aka, "The Pig" 1969)
Marshall 100w Plexi
Marshall HW 2061
Dr. Z Rt 66
Motionsound AR112 (Leslie-style rotator)
Fender DR (Silverface 1973)
Fender PR (Silverface 1970)
Supro Thunderbolt (1967)
Silvertone 1481 (1964)

Cabs:
Marshall 4 x 12 (original Greenbacks, 1969)
Avatar 2 x 12 (closed-back; 1 Greenback, 1 Vintage 30)
Marshall 2 x 12 (open-back; 2 G12Hs)
not worthy
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
3 Monkeys Orangutan combo
1966 all original Fender Pro Reverb
Orange Rockerverb 50
Bogner Shiva el34 2x12 combo
50th anniversary African mahogany Vox ac30h2l
Peavey classic 50 2x12 combo
Kemper profiling amp
another wow, nice amps man
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJ View Post
another wow, nice amps man
Thanks man! Getting great amps is becoming a bit of an obsession for me these days.
Old 30th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Amp collecting is a dangerous obsession. Particularly when the mortgage is due.

The fun comes in justifying. Explaining why a slightly different variation on something I already own is an absolute necessity.
Old 2nd August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
New Satriani mod Marshall 410 is out, daddy want. I don't suppose one of you would drop that at Christmas? God what an amp, modified gain structures and added noise gates on each channel. Joe has dropped his overdrives and gain pedals for the different tones the Marshall can render. Check out his recent live in Montreal DVD BlueRay to hear that puppy. Ranges from clean to all manner of gain voices. Sweet amp. And watts!!
Old 2nd August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by godotzilla View Post
Amp collecting is a dangerous obsession. Particularly when the mortgage is due.

The fun comes in justifying. Explaining why a slightly different variation on something I already own is an absolute necessity.
Dude that hurts, my house is late for the 1st time this month budget is gone. I can hardly wait for the Mittens crowd to take away my mortgage interest write off. They just cannot win, else I lose my house. Sorry but w all things gear and pending disasters it had to be mentioned. Money matters a great deal at my level. I was doing a 4 payment thing again and again, now my wife gives me the look and that is no more. They cut her pay again, how is that even legal?
Old 10th August 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJ View Post
I HAD a DC-30, Sampson, miss it. Mistake. But a Club Royale, any year, will ease the pain!

Bad Cats are really awsome, Orange can go both ways imo.
I had a Lightning 15 combo, Sampson, from mid 90's. Sold it at a show for stupid big money and grabbed a 64 Jazzmaster that I now use constantly and wouldn't sell for twice what I paid.

I never could connect with the Sampson. I'd bring it to gigs and people would Oooo and Ahhh over the reality of it, but the sound never got there; too distant, no matter how it was set. Maybe it was the 2-10's instead of the 1-12 config. I don't miss it.
Old 10th August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
I had a Lightning 15 combo, Sampson, from mid 90's. Sold it at a show for stupid big money and grabbed a 64 Jazzmaster that I now use constantly and wouldn't sell for twice what I paid.

I never could connect with the Sampson. I'd bring it to gigs and people would Oooo and Ahhh over the reality of it, but the sound never got there; too distant, no matter how it was set. Maybe it was the 2-10's instead of the 1-12 config. I don't miss it.
I don't doubt it was the 2-10" thing either...I was in a band where the other guitarist and I had the EXACT same amp...but his was a 4-10", and mine was a 2-12". He cut through fine with his style, but for me it didn't work at all. We tried swapping amps; but I always liked my 2-12"s better.
Old 11th August 2012 | Show parent
col
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Updated pic:

Old 12th August 2012
Lives for gear

I'm wondering how true it is that Edwards original long term Marshall,was in fact a 200w Major P.A. head,and that is the famous "Brown Sound" amp,that Jose Arrendondo worked on,and not a 1959 100w Super Lead at all?
RK
Old 12th August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
Updated pic:

Serious stack of bucks there!!! Sweet...
Old 12th August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
I'm wondering how true it is that Edwards original long term Marshall,was in fact a 200w Major P.A. head,and that is the famous "Brown Sound" amp,that Jose Arrendondo worked on,and not a 1959 100w Super Lead at all?
RK
First I heard of that one. The magic amp Edward abused for years gradually lost its tone and was completely reworked right before the 5150 recording.
Eddie did some really weird things with his gear and for some reason liked his studio to have dust and crap everywhere. By the way kids the Variac trick was to lower the voltage not push it.

A magical inventive guitarist, whose often non technical approach worked for him, but I am afraid he wasted his best years doing nothing, and the promise of some solo work was lost. I had the new CD and tossed it, I cannot stand Roth and he seems like a drunk trying to hack his way through his youth. Eddie's best days are long past. We will admire his legacy but even he cannot bring the magic tone of old.
Old 15th August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
First I heard of that one. The magic amp Edward abused for years gradually lost its tone and was completely reworked right before the 5150 recording.
Eddie did some really weird things with his gear and for some reason liked his studio to have dust and crap everywhere. By the way kids the Variac trick was to lower the voltage not push it.

A magical inventive guitarist, whose often non technical approach worked for him, but I am afraid he wasted his best years doing nothing, and the promise of some solo work was lost. I had the new CD and tossed it, I cannot stand Roth and he seems like a drunk trying to hack his way through his youth. Eddie's best days are long past. We will admire his legacy but even he cannot bring the magic tone of old.
Yeah,I knew the Variac trick was to lower it to somewhere around 90volts apparrently.

I read somewhere that the majic Marshall was the house P.A.Head from Gazarris,but like lots of stuff the truth is often fiction.

Bummer about the last album,I have'nt heard it yet.

I got to see em with Gary Cherone in Adelaide and Eddie was so on that night, it was a pure joy to listen/watch,you could just tell he was genuinely having fun playing the early stuff,and the very first song was Unchained,and it got even better from there,this was April 98. http://soundcloud.com/rks26

Last edited by rksguit; 15th August 2012 at 06:18 PM..
Old 16th August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
Yeah,I knew the Variac trick was to lower it to somewhere around 90volts apparrently.

I read somewhere that the majic Marshall was the house P.A.Head from Gazarris,but like lots of stuff the truth is often fiction.

Bummer about the last album,I have'nt heard it yet.

I got to see em with Gary Cherone in Adelaide and Eddie was so on that night, it was a pure joy to listen/watch,you could just tell he was genuinely having fun playing the early stuff,and the very first song was Unchained,and it got even better from there,this was April 98. rks26's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
I toss few albums but after really trying to listen to the new VH I gave up and tossed it. Listening to Roth praddle and really watch a couple of the CD extra video embed tracks you may agree with me. They come off like a an old sausage fest and Roth seems like he was drunk for some time and it took its toll.

I always liked the guitar work of Nuno in Extreme but Cherone is one of those singers that annoy me. He just does, watch the recent Extreme concert on Paladia. The chicks like him I guess but being a guitarist his posing and act just grates on your nerves. Nuno burns with that fast funk metal he kills on the recent Paladia Extreme segment. A few tunes are guitar driven w the ability to ignore Cherone's posing and act, Get the Funk out and that Bumblebee solo sort of put Eddie to shame. Tapping skill beyond the ability to follow it and fast articulate funk riffs, original style from Nuno Bettencourt.
Old 16th August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I toss few albums but after really trying to listen to the new VH I gave up and tossed it. Listening to Roth praddle and really watch a couple of the CD extra video embed tracks you may agree with me. They come off like a an old sausage fest and Roth seems like he was drunk for some time and it took its toll.

I always liked the guitar work of Nuno in Extreme but Cherone is one of those singers that annoy me. He just does, watch the recent Extreme concert on Paladia. The chicks like him I guess but being a guitarist his posing and act just grates on your nerves. Nuno burns with that fast funk metal he kills on the recent Paladia Extreme segment. A few tunes are guitar driven w the ability to ignore Cherone's posing and act, Get the Funk out and that Bumblebee solo sort of put Eddie to shame. Tapping skill beyond the ability to follow it and fast articulate funk riffs, original style from Nuno Bettencourt.
I had a friend who was super obsessed with the whole Nuno thing,but I have to admit that was[late 80's?] when I was in Sydney playing in more punk type bands and I'd sort of lost interest in the whole super shred thing,and was actually getting into early A.I.CH, Soundgarden etc.

Cherone was good that night in 98, cause he was kind of forgettable,yet he sang the early Roth stuff just as it sounded on the early records,and Eddie,as I said was way better than even I imagined,myself having been in a cover band doing eruption,in 85,before moving to the big city Sydney,and doing original music etc.

What was the topic of this thread...Oh Amps,yeah I'm just so glad[and lucky] I didn't lose my 2203 100 watt,when things got nasty in 95!
Cheers
RK
Old 17th August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Always been a half stack guy myself, wattage for me is the core of the amp. Not so much on loud just huge depth and headroom.

This idea of gutting the watts out of an amp supposedly for the sake of loudness is just absurd to me and seems like a rip off selling these gutted power guitar amps for peak prices.

Wattage is not loudness and this myth has become common place in amp language. The rule of engineering is "a doubling of watts increases sound potential only 3db". So a 20watt is 3db louder than a 10watt, a 40watt only 3db louder than a 20watt. A 100 watt amp is only about 10db in loudness potential to a 10 watt amp.

Seems like some might make for a novel blues amp but having watched Bonamassa use all sorts of Marshall heads and such with custom 6-12" cabs or Jeff Beck recently using 2 half stacks playing rather clean blues on SNL recently, I love the half stack and I find it so much more than a one trick pony.
Old 18th August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love amps, though I've thinned the herd at the top of the market a few years back to buy mics and kept the stuff that was either unique in sound or great in sound:

1953 Gibson BR9
1959 Magnatone 210
1962 Ampeg Reverberocket (one of the first ones, Jet tube chart and tolex with swirly stuff!)
1963 Fender Virbolux
1964 Ampeg SB12
1966 Ampeg B15
1971 Fender Deluxe Reverb (BF mods by Dave Allen)
Allen Old Flame (a sort of BF Super Reverb circuit)
Kendrick 2112 (modified by Skip Simmons to sound like a real '58 Deluxe)
Sewell Catawampus (very early one, single 15" speaker, tweed Fender Pro circuit - Doug emailed to say he covered this one himself - there is glue all over the place - and sold it to a neighbor.)
Old 19th August 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
I love amps, though I've thinned the herd at the top of the market a few years back to buy mics and kept the stuff that was either unique in sound or great in sound:

1953 Gibson BR9
1959 Magnatone 210
1962 Ampeg Reverberocket (one of the first ones, Jet tube chart and tolex with swirly stuff!)
1963 Fender Virbolux
1964 Ampeg SB12
1966 Ampeg B15
1971 Fender Deluxe Reverb (BF mods by Dave Allen)
Allen Old Flame (a sort of BF Super Reverb circuit)
Kendrick 2112 (modified by Skip Simmons to sound like a real '58 Deluxe)
Sewell Catawampus (very early one, single 15" speaker, tweed Fender Pro circuit - Doug emailed to say he covered this one himself - there is glue all over the place - and sold it to a neighbor.)
veeeery nice set of amps there swafford...
Old 20th August 2012 | Show parent
Mastering Moderator

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
1968 Selmer T&B MKIII
1989 Mesa Boogie Mark III Blue Stripe
1974 Carlsbro 50 Top

Not pictured
1970 Simms-Watts MKI
1984 Vox V125 Lead
1989 Mesa Boogie Caliber Plus
Attached Thumbnails
Post your amps!-img_2172-small.jpg  
Old 21st August 2012
Gear Nut

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years

I only own two but i like them alot!

Tapp Amp Chameleon, prototype and sounds amazing.
Ampeg SVT450, cheap but i love it. Does what i want it to do with the Ampeg character intact.
Old 24th August 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Amps:
Hand made Bandmaster (5E7) Head (has a few minor mods from the stock circuit, No Neg Feedback, Has a mid control and a Master Vol.)
Hand made Fender Blackface Deluxe (Just the clean channel, not the Reverb/Trem channel, runs 5881s instead of 6V6s, has a Master Vol.)
Egnater Rebel 20
a Highly modified Fender Blues Jr. III (see https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8193333-post981.html for mods done)
a slightly modified Fender Pro Jr. (just made the Bias adjustable, retubed and replaced the speaker, Weber 10F150)
Blackstar HT-1R
Acoustic 260 Bass mini stack. (sounds awesome, has big cabinet tone without the big cabinet)

Cabs:
Blackstar HT-110 with a Weber 10A125
Lopo Light Series 112 with a Weber 12A150
Lopo Large 112 w/ removeable back loaded with a Weber Blue Dog
Lopo Large 112 w/ removeable back loaded with a Weber Sig12B
(I do like the Weber Speakers, the all rock)

I do play all of these fairly regularly.
Old 24th August 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Early version of the Tophat line...
All the wrong mods and features from the factory make it not get any use in a year. Nothing but terror and loud. 18 watts, just to many for no master volume, I think its design was no features.

Tophat said they can mod a mastervolume or some thing to make it fit my small needs.

Sure is pretty huh?
Attached Thumbnails
Post your amps!-jkit.jpg   Post your amps!-csew.jpg   Post your amps!-fsqa.jpg  
πŸ“ Reply