The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommendations for Telecaster strings Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Recommendations for Telecaster strings

Just wondering what strings people are using on their Teles. Brands/types/thicknesses etc .... any/all info will be of interest.

I play a variety of stuff: alt rock, indie pop, alt country. I'm unsure whether I can expect a single set of strings to cover all bases... maybe someone can advise me there.

Also, if anyone can shed some light on the ol' "wound Vs unwound G string" thing I'd be grateful.

thumbsup
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've been using D'Addario XLs gauged 011-048 forever. Plain G-string, wound G-strings are more for non-bending jazz players or archtop guitars (at least as far as guitars are concerned...)

I started to use 11s when tuning down 1/2 step but ultimately kept the gauge for standard tuning too. But I also play dobro (Squareneck) and the 016-058 set there makes the 011s feel like nothing.

As far as brands are concerned, I played Ernie Balls for a long time but switched to D'Addarios because they seem to last much longer and sound somewhat fuller IMO.

I've read an interesting quote by Joe Walsh once where he said that Telecasters sound best when the action's not that high and they buzz a little. I really think that's true, it helps the snarl and the twang. On a Strat however I think it's essential to raise the strings quite a bit, the sound will be so much better and punchier.....

Fave Tele players:

-Albert Collins/James Burton/Clarence White/Steve Cropper/Jeff Buckley
Old 9th May 2006

I like Boomer 10's.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
I've been using D'Addario XLs gauged 011-048 forever. Plain G-string, wound G-strings are more for non-bending jazz players or archtop guitars (at least as far as guitars are concerned...)

I started to use 11s when tuning down 1/2 step but ultimately kept the gauge for standard tuning too. But I also play dobro (Squareneck) and the 016-058 set there makes the 011s feel like nothing.

As far as brands are concerned, I played Ernie Balls for a long time but switched to D'Addarios because they seem to last much longer and sound somewhat fuller IMO.

I've read an interesting quote by Joe Walsh once where he said that Telecasters sound best when the action's not that high and they buzz a little. I really think that's true, it helps the snarl and the twang. On a Strat however I think it's essential to raise the strings quite a bit, the sound will be so much better and punchier.....

Fave Tele players:

-Albert Collins/James Burton/Clarence White/Steve Cropper/Jeff Buckley
Cool... I'm primarily a tele player also.
For me a high string tension is the key.
I just dont feel 'home' without it. I kinda flip off the strings with my playing, using the string as a 'finger-trampoline'.

I'm using 2 sets on the strat's and tele's, depending on the tuning.
Tuned to E I'm on 10-52. Having some extra weight on the bottom three strings makes the guitar feel more balanced, imho.
Tuned to Eb or D I use 13-56's to try to get the same string tension at a lower pitch- hate floppy strings.

Always D'Addario for the same reason as Andi.
I have a relatively high action on both though as I switch between slide and fingers a lot.

My tele heroes are Danny Gatton, Andy Summers, Roy Buchanan, Jeff Buckley and early Steve Morse.

Unwound G for sure, esp if you want to bend- a wound G is for purist jazz guys, mostly- bending strings is not as common for them.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Tele should have .013's with a wound G.

What's "bending"?

Over the years I've become obsessed with rhythm playing, and a big fat set of 013's really helps get the "chunk" out of the guitar.

Actually, I can bend them fine these days.

The fatter the strings, the more they're gonna resonate the wood when they vibrate.

Last edited by max cooper; 9th May 2006 at 12:46 PM..
Old 9th May 2006
D'Addario XL's are the best wound strings due to the metal purity and the hex steel cores.

I use the .009-.042 120's. I'm an old guy that gets a bit sore playing stiffer strings as I bend whole steps and a half or more.

Then again, all my Tele's are active with high outputs and very clear tops, so thick strings are not needed for tone.
BTW, I play lead guitar, I'm not a strummer...

Bob Dylan restrung one of my Tele's I loaned to him with .011's. When I got it back I couldn't even play it!

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 9th May 2006
500 series nutjob

Ernie Ball slinkys, .010
i am try some of the Elixir's on one of my guitars that i keep in my livening just cause i am lazy and do not want to change the strings every week.
not yet sure what i think, they sound ok but feel a fit funky to me.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

the thickest strings you can play with!

as far as i know the thicker the strings the better tone (within reason of course, don't go using ac cables or anything daft and blaming me for destroying your geetar)

unless you've a penchant for metal. in which case tone is something you probably don't worry about anyway.

regards,

richie.
Old 9th May 2006
Here for the gear

I used to have a semi-hollow body tele that I strung with flat wounds a few times. Outrageous!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams

Bob Dylan restrung one of my Tele's
I've been using Neil Young as a guitar tech, but I'm looking for someone new.

I agree with the D'Addario thing, except for live playing I've always thought Ernie Ball strings are less prone to breakage.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo
I like Boomer 10's.
I have been playing a tele for 12 years and have found that the boomers are perfect myself! Bill Davis from Dash Rip Rock turned me onto them.

Glenn
Old 9th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I've been using Neil Young as a guitar tech, but I'm looking for someone new.
I used to do stuff for him and Frank San Pedro back in the 70's. Neil hired Frank 'cause he always had great Columbian pot!

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

On a tele or strat - I'll second the D'Addario XL 11's. Best of both worlds, you can still bend, but fat enough for a rich sound.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Neil Diamond was doing my landscaping for a while.

Last edited by dokushoka; 11th May 2006 at 05:57 PM..
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well, I'm John Fogerty's guitar tech... ... and he uses Ernie Ball 9-46 custom Slinkys with a .052 instead of the .046 on the low E.

I use D'Addario XL110 (10-46) and Fogerty Band guitarists Bob Britt and Billy Burnette use XL115 (11's).
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka gimli
Well, I'm John Fogerty's guitar tech... ... and he uses Ernie Ball 9-46 custom Slinkys with a .052 instead of the .046 on the low E.

I use D'Addario XL110 (10-46) and Fogerty Band guitarists Bob Britt and Billy Burnette use XL115 (11's).
John uses Teles???
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yup. On "Down On The Corner", "Lodi", "Lookin' Out My Backdoor"...
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Try John Pearse Strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper
Just wondering what strings people are using on their Teles. Brands/types/thicknesses etc .... any/all info will be of interest.

I play a variety of stuff: alt rock, indie pop, alt country. I'm unsure whether I can expect a single set of strings to cover all bases... maybe someone can advise me there.

Also, if anyone can shed some light on the ol' "wound Vs unwound G string" thing I'd be grateful.

thumbsup
You guys got to try John Pearse strings. They are Daddarios but they do something to them. I own a music shop and most Tele and Strat players swear by them.Most acoustic players swear by them. Ray Flack (guitarist for Ricky Scaggs many years ago used them on a bunch of famous hits) I would like to know what they do to the strings. They sound punchy and last a long time. I tried the Elixers on electric and didnt like the tone at all. Just my opinion.
Old 10th May 2006
member no 666

Knucklehead "Shortbus" heavies... absolutely remarkable for open tunings!!
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

tele strings...

I'll cast another vote for D'Addario XL 11's. Simply great strings. Also, John Pearse, another excellent choice. They are the best phosphour bronze acoustic strings, IMHO.

Mark Cattano
Magneto Studios
www.heedmusic.com
www.myspace.com/markcattano
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Pearse does indeed make stellar acoustic strings.

D'Addario's...never like them or Ernie Ball. To me there was always something shrill about the tone.

GHS Boomers used to be my favs and I still occasionally use them. But the best sounding string I've heard for electrics: DR.
Old 10th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka
Neil Diamond was doing my landscaping for a while.
Dr. Neil Diamond, optometrist in Simi Valley, CA made some glasses for me.

He gets around, I guess.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
Knucklehead "Shortbus" heavies... absolutely remarkable for open tunings!!
Yep! I love those strings... I do wish they made a .010 - .052 set though.
Joshua
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

ernie balls

Jeff Beck sometimes watches my dogs for me when I'm out of town. And with him, it's always Ernie Ball 10's. Sometimes when I return from a trip, every guitar in the house has been restrung with Ernie Balls (slinkys.) It's a pain.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato
Jeff Beck sometimes watches my dogs for me when I'm out of town. And with him, it's always Ernie Ball 10's. Sometimes when I return from a trip, every guitar in the house has been restrung with Ernie Balls (slinkys.) It's a pain.
kato,

what are you complaining about? SRV used to help my family cook and damn, it was more than once that all my Jackson guitars were restrung with GHS 013s after he stayed 'y'all mind me doing a little practicing out in the barn' overnight!

I even had a neck give out.... he was a sweet guy and decent player nonetheless.....

Last edited by doorknocker; 11th May 2006 at 06:15 PM..
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear
I use the light-top/heavy-bottom Daddario XL's (9-46) on my teles, sometimes Ernie Balls. I can bend the top strings like crazy, but still have some meat down on the bottom. I believe Brent Mason uses a similar gauge setup.
Old 6th January 2010
Lives for gear

Got a new Tele and wondering which strings to put on.

I like to have thicker bass strings so I'm thinking about putting a Dean Markley 10 to 52 on (got that lying around here) but I'm wondering if I'll have to adjust the neck/tension or anything to the bigger bottom.

The 5th and 6th strings of the 10s that came with it (think its 46 in the bottom) seem to be a bit loose. Intonation is great though.

I usually play in standard tuning with drop D occasionally.

Do I need to worry at all when putting the 10 to 52s on?
Old 6th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
the thickest strings you can play with!

as far as i know the thicker the strings the better tone (within reason of course, don't go using ac cables or anything daft and blaming me for destroying your geetar)

unless you've a penchant for metal. in which case tone is something you probably don't worry about anyway.

regards,

richie.
record much metal do you?
Old 6th January 2010
Gear Maniac

I use Snake Oil Brand nickel strings on my Tele and could not be happier. I like to use thicker strings starting at 11.

--
Wheels
Old 6th January 2010
Gear Nut

I've been playing for 15 years, tried loads of different strings in the past but I tend to stick with D'addario XL 10s nowaways. Ernie ball strings (10s) also work well on my Tele

Thicker strings (11s - 13s) may resonate for longer but they'll make your guitar a bitch to play. I find 9s a bit thin sounding.

You should be able to get most sounds out of a tele provided you've got a good amp. It's not the best guitar if you are wanting to play metal though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search