The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommendations for Telecaster strings Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson4Life View Post
have fun sleeping with satan. Gibsons are the only truly righteous guitar. Leo Fender was actually a LaVeyan Statanist in the 70s, the bolt on neck reflects his satanist tendancies. Set necks are the only true sustain
This should be fun...
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Thomastik Blues Sliders. .10s are just fine on a Tele. Smooth tone. They're my all-time favorite string.
Old 20th January 2012
Weird thread.... Some stuff is missing like the anti-satan Humbucker guy I responded too. Sort of makes me look like I'm replying to my own imagination...

Which isn't necessarly a bad thing as long as everyone else is in on the joke.

He did say something about set neck Gibsons having more string sustain than the 'devil's preference' of a bolt on neck???

I have set neck Tele's too, guess what? The bolt on's ring longer. That rosewood telecaster rings like there's a built in compressor. It ought too, it weighs more than a Les Paul.
Old 20th January 2012
The sustain conversation lacks any real world use. It's a bull**** marketing guitarist mumbo jumbo. I can't even count the records I've recorded on or the tours/gigs I've done at this point... Not once has someone asked me to switch guitars for more sustain!! They've asked for less twang, more twang, softer, trashy, etc... All kinds of adjectives.

I also find most people that are obsessed with sustain play with a lot of distortion and compression and don't hold a note long enough to get the full benefits of added sustain.

There is a lot of sustain in your fingers. I never even consider that when I'm picking a guitar for a session. It's more about the tone. Put me in front of a great amp. I'll push it and get all the sustain you'll ever need. Also whenever I've talked to other pro guitarists this never comes up. Never.
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Maniac

litepipe, I agree completely. As well, many guitarists who talk about 'sustain' (the metal crowd) have their actions so low that fret buzz diminishes any possible sustain, and what they perceive to be sustain is actually just feedback induced.

As for strings, the most important thing for me is the tonal balance between the wound and unwound strings. For me, only the TI Blues Sliders accomplish that to my satisfaction.
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

D'addarios are always fresh. I tried them all, been playing Teles for a long time and D'addarios never let me down. Tone is there and you can rely on them.

I use 11s
Old 9th February 2012
Here for the gear

absolutely correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCricket View Post
Ehh, not really true at all. Sorry to demystify things but the truth is, Joe Walsh was talking out of his ass. Theres a thing called "pickup height adjustment" thats far more indicative of overall tone. Its when you take into consideration the pickup height along with the string height ~ thats where its at.

When I was young and inexperienced, I maybe used to think "Oh, its a TELE...that means things are like so because I heard it from some guy..."

Pffft....a guitar is a guitar ~ people overthink things and ascribe 'magical' properties to a certian brand or type of guitar and its just stupid. Ill play you some of the best Jazz ya ever heard.....on a Telecaster. Yes....Jazz.

Dont overthink things ~ if youre still worried about what strings to put on, youve got a LONG way to go and should probably just get any strings on there for now and get to practicing.
The truth.

If you're payin' attention through years of playing, you'll find all this true. And, no matter how much you try to help some, they still won't believe you until they experience it all themselves.

If they have a clue, they'll figure it out.
Old 10th February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane thaw View Post
On a tele or strat - I'll second the D'Addario XL 11's. Best of both worlds, you can still bend, but fat enough for a rich sound.

me too. maple board 1975 tele with kinman noiseless pups. amazing tone . . .
Old 18th December 2015
Here for the gear

Where to cut the strings on a vintage Tele?

D'Addario .10 - .46 -Forever. 1963 Tele, rosewood neck and '67 Esquire (5 lbs!), also with rosewood neck. Maybe i should try GHS -i dunno, I am not as much of a stickler with electrics.

D'Addario are cheap, they sound good and they hold OK.

What I wan't to know is the exact best place to CUT the the A, D and G strings so that they have the max string angle from the nut.

Over the years, I have developed a ritual that almost always gets me the max amount of string on the post for these strings -without doubling over. But I have never measured the lengths...

I dislike adding string trees. One is enough if you get the string length right. Besides, ANY string should have at least a couple of winds on the post and also be back-tied! (REVERSE, UNDER THEN OVER. -SIMPLE!?) . D'Addario has a video on you Tube and the host does NOT tie the string ends! (non-Fender posts) He obviously has never played a real date in his life. -bix
Old 20th December 2015
Gear Maniac

D 10-46. Just because.
Old 20th December 2015
Lives for gear
Fender Super Bullet 10's for the past 20 years. They work for me. Might have to try 11's on one of my Teles.
Old 19th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka View Post
Neil Diamond was doing my landscaping for a while.
I had Jay Leno gobble my knob after laying a Dorito on it
Old 20th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
Just wondering what strings people are using on their Teles. Brands/types/thicknesses etc .... any/all info will be of interest.

I play a variety of stuff: alt rock, indie pop, alt country. I'm unsure whether I can expect a single set of strings to cover all bases... maybe someone can advise me there.

Also, if anyone can shed some light on the ol' "wound Vs unwound G string" thing I'd be grateful.

thumbsup
On a Telecaster?
Unwound G. Always.

Other than that, the same strings I'd use on any electric. Somewhere between 10s and EB purples, depending. Maybe "Not Even Slinkies" for slide, because I tend to play really hard.
Old 20th March 2018
Was on D'Addario Chromes for over a decade, but this year switched to TI Jazz Swing, with no looking back. Both flatwound, both 10's, both with wound G string! The TI's are slightly lower tension with a slightly warmer sound, which I prefer.
Old 20th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BixLives32 View Post
D'Addario .10 - .46 -Forever. 1963 Tele, rosewood neck and '67 Esquire (5 lbs!), also with rosewood neck. Maybe i should try GHS -i dunno, I am not as much of a stickler with electrics.

D'Addario are cheap, they sound good and they hold OK.

What I wan't to know is the exact best place to CUT the the A, D and G strings so that they have the max string angle from the nut.

Over the years, I have developed a ritual that almost always gets me the max amount of string on the post for these strings -without doubling over. But I have never measured the lengths...

I dislike adding string trees. One is enough if you get the string length right. Besides, ANY string should have at least a couple of winds on the post and also be back-tied! (REVERSE, UNDER THEN OVER. -SIMPLE!?) . D'Addario has a video on you Tube and the host does NOT tie the string ends! (non-Fender posts) He obviously has never played a real date in his life. -bix
Does back tying strings really help? All i do is keep tension on the string as i tighten the tuner and leave plenty extra to wrap many times around.
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
Was on D'Addario Chromes for over a decade, but this year switched to TI Jazz Swing, with no looking back. Both flatwound, both 10's, both with wound G string! The TI's are slightly lower tension with a slightly warmer sound, which I prefer.
I wish I had a second Tele I could dedicate to that. I also wish I could play like Ed Bickert.

Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
The TI set is 18.75 pounds less tension than the Chromes ! Chromes suck out loud.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

It's been a while since I owned a Tele but when I did it was the D'addario Jazz/Rock wound third set. I hate unwound thirds. If I found an old Tele at a yard sale now (that's about the only way it would happen as I realized a while back I am not a Fender guitar guy) I would string it with TI Superalloy .011.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

I am a huge James Burton fan so about a year ago I decided to try his string gauges. I have strong fingers from playing acoustic so this was a challenge to get used to but now I love them. Can't recall the gauges but this can be Googled.
Old 21st March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
I am a huge James Burton fan so about a year ago I decided to try his string gauges. I have strong fingers from playing acoustic so this was a challenge to get used to but now I love them. Can't recall the gauges but this can be Googled.
I'm mainly a bass player so I need at least 11's or I can't feel them.
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

Never really gave strings specific to a Tele much thought, it always sounds like a Tele to me.

i use 10's and mostly Nickel wound on all my electrics.
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

I always feel an obligation to use heavier strings but every time I put a set on I hate the sound. They come right off.

I have elevens on the Jazzmaster, because you have to.
Old 27th March 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
i use 10's and mostly Nickel wound on all my electrics.
Same here.

Nickel is softer than stainless and will keep your stainless steel frets from wearing out too quickly. That's a big plus. Sound wise, nickel is slightly softer sounding but not in a bad way.
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Been playing Tele's for 26 years and Fender Super Bullets or Bullet 10's have been what I've been using and love the sound of them.

I can't believe it took 49 posts before someone mentioned Super Bullets!
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear

i use d'addario nyxl .11s on my '52 reissue, and i'm very happy with the sound, tuning stability and lifespan
pretty mellow sounding
Old 28th March 2018
I've been playing Teles since 1975. I really like the DR Tite-fit strings on them. The round core makes the low strings a little darker sounding with more low end, also I think they have higher nickel content. I use 10-50 sets, or 10-52, I like bigger wound strings, but with the DRs the tension is still pretty low. D'Addarios sound like trash in comparison. The DRs also last much longer, so even though they are more expensive they are actually cheaper at the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
Just wondering what strings people are using on their Teles. Brands/types/thicknesses etc .... any/all info will be of interest.

I play a variety of stuff: alt rock, indie pop, alt country. I'm unsure whether I can expect a single set of strings to cover all bases... maybe someone can advise me there.

Also, if anyone can shed some light on the ol' "wound Vs unwound G string" thing I'd be grateful.

thumbsup
Old 28th March 2018
String snap and buzz is definitely part of the sound if you are going for funk or country stuff! You need to get that snap off of the strings hitting the fingerboard. Listen to some of Steve Cropper's parts some time... both his amp and the strings are buzzing to get that sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCricket View Post
Ehh, not really true at all. Sorry to demystify things but the truth is, Joe Walsh was talking out of his ass. Theres a thing called "pickup height adjustment" thats far more indicative of overall tone. Its when you take into consideration the pickup height along with the string height ~ thats where its at.

When I was young and inexperienced, I maybe used to think "Oh, its a TELE...that means things are like so because I heard it from some guy..."

Pffft....a guitar is a guitar ~ people overthink things and ascribe 'magical' properties to a certian brand or type of guitar and its just stupid. Ill play you some of the best Jazz ya ever heard.....on a Telecaster. Yes....Jazz.

Dont overthink things ~ if youre still worried about what strings to put on, youve got a LONG way to go and should probably just get any strings on there for now and get to practicing.
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by playon View Post
I've been playing Teles since 1975. I really like the DR Tite-fit strings on them. The round core makes the low strings a little darker sounding with more low end, also I think they have higher nickel content. I use 10-50 sets, or 10-52, I like bigger wound strings, but with the DRs the tension is still pretty low. D'Addarios sound like trash in comparison. The DRs also last much longer, so even though they are more expensive they are actually cheaper at the end of the day.
i liked DRs but I've had them break which never happens with other brands, and they seem inconsistent from pack to pack
Old 28th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
i liked DRs but I've had them break which never happens with other brands, and they seem inconsistent from pack to pack
I've been using them for some years now and haven't had any problems like that. I'm going to try some of their newer "Veritas" strings which are a little brighter on the wound strings and slightly more tension. D'Addarios go dead pretty quickly in my experience which is why I originally switched to DRs.
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

John started a thread giving string gauges of the pros here somewhere. You might be surprised to find out just how many players that people consider gods of tone actually play .008 - .010 sets. I myself discovered when, as the result of an accident, I had to lighten up to .009 to be able to stand playing, I could get the same tone by twiddling those mysterious "tone" and "volume" knobs on my amp. It's an ELECTRIC guitar...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search