The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommendations for Telecaster strings Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carma View Post
record much metal do you?
no, not any more.

never again would be too soon.
Old 6th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
the thickest strings you can play with!

as far as i know the thicker the strings the better tone (within reason of course, don't go using ac cables or anything daft and blaming me for destroying your geetar)
Just out of interest - do you play guitar?
Old 6th January 2010
Lives for gear

sometimes.

i record other people playing them all the time.
Old 6th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaccona View Post
Got a new Tele and wondering which strings to put on.

I like to have thicker bass strings so I'm thinking about putting a Dean Markley 10 to 52 on (got that lying around here) but I'm wondering if I'll have to adjust the neck/tension or anything to the bigger bottom.

The 5th and 6th strings of the 10s that came with it (think its 46 in the bottom) seem to be a bit loose. Intonation is great though.

I usually play in standard tuning with drop D occasionally.

Do I need to worry at all when putting the 10 to 52s on?
Sorry to quote myself but ...anybody experienced?
Don't wanna mess up that thing already.
Old 6th January 2010
Lives for gear

i'm a big fan of 13's or 12's on my tele if it's my music i'm working on. i do morrissey/elvis costello/beatles type stuff, so not a lot of string bending... just a lot of jangly parts.

the tone is improved if you can deal with the tension.
Old 6th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaccona View Post
Sorry to quote myself but ...anybody experienced?
Don't wanna mess up that thing already.
You won't mess anything up, but the heavier gauge will throw off the intonation a little bit, especially if you have a three-saddle bridge (like all REAL telecasters). Just take it to a dude. He'll adjust the intonation and action for those strings, he'll charge you $50, or so, and you'll have a playable instrument.

For what it's worth, I've been using 10-52's Ernie Ball's on my telecasters for years. I'd ideally have an 11 on top, but I just can't a set of any brand that can accommodate that without doing a custom set (and that's just not an option).
Old 6th January 2010
Gear Addict

Get someone else to intonate and restring your guitar?? Man, learn to do it yourself. Its really not that hard and takes maybe 15 minutes at most. When it comes to changing strings, you're really not going to mess anything up, unless you're planning on putting piano wire on the thing.
Old 6th January 2010
Gear Addict

4 Teles, mainy with Ernie Ball Hybrid 9-46. Playign around with a case of GHS 9-46 I got to try out. They last a bit longer but are not as pliable as the Ernie Ball for bending for me.
Old 6th January 2010
I would say the heaviest string you can comfortably handle. My preference has always been D'Adarrio's
Old 6th January 2010
Lives for gear

For electric, just anything ...doesn't really matter.
Old 6th January 2010
Gear Nut

10's Dean Markley Blue Steels, elixir nano web stuff is really good to
Old 6th January 2010
Gear Maniac

try pure nickel strings.

like ernie ball classic rock n roll, or DR pure blues, or something similar
Old 7th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I would say the heaviest string you can comfortably handle. My preference has always been D'darrios

I agree with the d'darrios. They have a certain tone that cant be beat.
Old 7th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I've been using D'Addario XLs gauged 011-048 forever. Plain G-string, wound G-strings are more for non-bending jazz players or archtop guitars (at least as far as guitars are concerned...)

I started to use 11s when tuning down 1/2 step but ultimately kept the gauge for standard tuning too. But I also play dobro (Squareneck) and the 016-058 set there makes the 011s feel like nothing.

As far as brands are concerned, I played Ernie Balls for a long time but switched to D'Addarios because they seem to last much longer and sound somewhat fuller IMO.

I've read an interesting quote by Joe Walsh once where he said that Telecasters sound best when the action's not that high and they buzz a little. I really think that's true, it helps the snarl and the twang. On a Strat however I think it's essential to raise the strings quite a bit, the sound will be so much better and punchier.....

Fave Tele players:

-Albert Collins/James Burton/Clarence White/Steve Cropper/Jeff Buckley
Ehh, not really true at all. Sorry to demystify things but the truth is, Joe Walsh was talking out of his ass. Theres a thing called "pickup height adjustment" thats far more indicative of overall tone. Its when you take into consideration the pickup height along with the string height ~ thats where its at.

When I was young and inexperienced, I maybe used to think "Oh, its a TELE...that means things are like so because I heard it from some guy..."

Pffft....a guitar is a guitar ~ people overthink things and ascribe 'magical' properties to a certian brand or type of guitar and its just stupid. Ill play you some of the best Jazz ya ever heard.....on a Telecaster. Yes....Jazz.

Dont overthink things ~ if youre still worried about what strings to put on, youve got a LONG way to go and should probably just get any strings on there for now and get to practicing.
Old 19th October 2011
Here for the gear

tele strings

D'Addario XL 11s.. for more than just feel.. tele pickups are not hot so thin strings just dont resonate well on the upper registers. Playing open cords with 9s and 10s makes the high E almost inaudible. with 11 or 13s you here all 6 clearly
Old 19th October 2011
Ah, another resurection...

Still using those .009's on all 6 Telecasters, oops, except for the 12 string, that gets .008's.

One thing I know, Telecasters are all over the map as to density, ringing-ness and neck resonances. Some don't ring very well with thin strings, others sound choked off with thicker strings. It's about construction as so many wood varieties have been used. Some times it's just a crappy bridge plate with poor seating causing all sorts of problems.

I have a mahogany neck/ash body P-90 loaded "Les Paul Special" like Tele. There's a mahogany Thinline hollow body with a '65 Strat neck in rosewood, an ash body with rosewood fingerboard, an alder sunburst custom with binding, the 12 string made from a 200 year old plank of birdseye maple and a "Let It Be" solid rosewood tele, neck and body. That one is fitted with all gold parts, she's a looker!

That rosewood guitar rings for days, like a built in compressor. The tone is dark. The ash body is brite. Mahagony is medium. Alder in between.

I have all of them as they all sound different.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

Strings?
Don't obsess.
10-46
Buy 'em cheap and change 'em often.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

For me, any quality nickle strings.

11's or 12's without a wound G string if you play lead.

Hell that works for my Les Paul too.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear
Been playing Tele's for 26 years and Fender Super Bullets or Bullet 10's have been what I've been using and love the sound of them.
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

I tried a bunch of different sets, and I really like D'addarios. I find the 10.5 set to suit me well, but am OK with 11's. I think D'addario is the only brand making the 10.5 and 11.5 strings but I could be wrong.

IMHO 10's and under are too thin for tone, but that didn't stop a lot of great guitarists to be better than me with them!
Old 25th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Noise View Post
10's Dean Markley Blue Steels
Same here.

That said, I side with some here who say not to sweat it too much. Blue Steel 10s are just my preference. I've never found gauge or brand to be a critical make-or-break variable. I've been a player for over 15 years, should that matter to you.
Old 25th October 2011
Keep in mind Blue Steels are steel wrapped strings, not nickle. Unless you have stainless steel frets they will wear grooves in your frets fast.
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick View Post
Same here.

That said, I side with some here who say not to sweat it too much. Blue Steel 10s are just my preference. I've never found gauge or brand to be a critical make-or-break variable. I've been a player for over 15 years, should that matter to you.
Speaking of sweat, that's the reason I stopped using Markley's in general. They'd gunk up too quick for me though otherwise the tone was ok.

and +1 on the fret wear...nickel all the way!
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Head

Ernie Ball slinkys .11's.

Thinking of changing them though, I find them too bright when they're new and take a bit to dull down.
Old 10th January 2012
Gear Guru

THomastik Infeld electric strings (particularly PowerBrights) are awesome if you can swing their price. I just discovered them recently. I didn't like their acoustic sets though.
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

Been a long time fan of D'addarios. Used them for many years because they never broke, on any guitar I had, never. Also, when I put them on, they needed very little stretching before they actually held on tune.

Then one day I started to feel a change in quality. Suddently i started breaking them, something I had never done in many years (10+), and they wouldn't hold in tune as good as they once did...

and NO, it's not the guitars...I have a few, it's all the same.

So I switched to Slinky's 10. Never looked back. I have found the same quality of strings I had in the past with D'Addarios...

So yes, another vote for Ernie Ball Slinkys 10.
Old 11th January 2012
Opposite results here. I started using D'Addario strings in 1976. They have only improved over the years. Hex cores, precision winding machines, nitrogen sealed packaging, no one does that.

It's not much a problem out west, but in Louisiana and Florida, EB or other strings tend to have small pits of rust on them new in the packaging. That's because of the humidity and exposure to the air. Sealed strings in nitrogen are pure and factory fresh when they are opened.
Old 19th January 2012
Here for the gear

Why do you have a telecaster? are you a satanist?
Old 19th January 2012
If you heard the banshee sounds I get out of it you might think so.

Unlike Gibson style humbuckers, Tele pickups allow more personality to come through. Humbuckers double the fundamental at the expense of string harmonics, it's a bland and generic sound, most player's tones are similar and it's harder to develope a unique voice with them, they make you sound anonomous.
Old 19th January 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
If you heard the banshee sounds I get out of it you might think so.

Unlike Gibson style humbuckers, Tele pickups allow more personality to come through. Humbuckers double the fundamental at the expense of string harmonics, it's a bland and generic sound, most player's tones are similar and it's harder to develope a unique voice with them, they make you sound anonomous.
have fun sleeping with satan. Gibsons are the only truly righteous guitar. Leo Fender was actually a LaVeyan Statanist in the 70s, the bolt on neck reflects his satanist tendancies. Set necks are the only true sustain
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search