Telecaster Neck Needed! Which one? Where from?..
Old 19th April 2006
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Messiah's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Telecaster Neck Needed! Which one? Where from?..

I've just picked this Tele body up off eBay and I need to get hold of a neck to go with it...
It's got a Duncan Broadcaster in the bridge and a Duncan P-90 at the neck...

I'm thinking a '62 Custom Bound style would look best (rosewood) but I'm open to suggestions from any Tele guru's.

So, what d'ya think would suit it most?

MOST IMPORTANTLY:

Can anyone recommend a good place to get a LEFTY Tele neck?

TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
Telecaster Neck Needed! Which one? Where from?..-07_1.jpg.jpg  
Old 19th April 2006
  #2
Gear addict
 
KurtR's Avatar
 

Old 19th April 2006
  #3
Lives for gear
 
cramseur's Avatar
Old 21st April 2006
  #4
definetly warmoth for a neck. Then do yourself a favor get rid of that duncan in the bridge and get a fralin, you will be much happier.
Old 21st April 2006
  #5
Gear Guru
 
Sqye's Avatar
Smile

wutz uh telecaster?
iz that where i stand on one side of the rume,
en u stand on duh uh-thuh side uh thuh rume,
en then you jussssss telecasssssssssst all your thoughts over 2 me, soooo seeecretly
Old 21st April 2006
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Messiah's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab
definetly warmoth for a neck. Then do yourself a favor get rid of that duncan in the bridge and get a fralin, you will be much happier.
Maybe I'll just get a neck on it before I start deciding on changing the pickups...heh

I must say though, I'm expecting/hoping for something good from the Duncan Broadcaster pickup in the bridge.

There are a couple of lefty necks in the showcase section of the Warmoth site that seem cool, I might plump for one of them...
Old 21st April 2006
  #7
Old 21st April 2006
  #8
Moderator emeritus
 

I'm happy with the Warmoth neck I bought, too. of course, they're unfinished...
Old 21st April 2006
  #9
Gear addict
 
usamike's Avatar
 

Unless you're in a huge rush to get this thing up and running, I would stay with eBay and find a fender neck. There will be a lot less lefty necks up there I'm sure, but probably not too many people bidding on them either. Something about getting a real fender (although the logo always looks wierd upside down and backward).

Someone else brought up pickups so I'm not hijacking here. My tele has Bardens in it and I want to take her back to stock, but the original pickups are long gone. What pickups do people recommend for a classic tele sound. Remember the solo on 'Middle of the Road' by the Pretenders? Something like that.

-Mike
Old 21st April 2006
  #10
Gear maniac
 

The fretwork on a lot of Fender necks are ****e, I'd go with a Warmoth neck, they do really decent fretwork. Unfinished, yes, but lacquer isn't so nice, you can try tung oil:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishin..._Tung_Oil.html

Takes a while but the neck gets nice.

Duncan Antiquity or Alnico II Pro both great tele pickups.
Old 21st April 2006
  #11
That model of Duncan's use alnico II magnets, a softer top end than the spanky alnico 5's. You can set them a bit closer to the strings since they have less magnetic pull. Love that P-90, keep that!

Necks are all so individual, no one source is guarenteed great. I would probably select a company, then actually go to the factory to select the wood, cut, and finish as all these things cause many variables. I shape my own necks before finishing them so they fit my hand. I like very dense maple with close rings with a rosewood fingerboard, more organic and I get better top end snap than most maple fingerboards with their poly car paint finish.

Yea, it's worth the extra effort, after all, it's a TELE!

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 21st April 2006
  #12
Lives for gear
 

I did a few guitars with Warmoth & Mighty Mite necks in the old days and had mixed results. On average in my experience, I'd say the MM necks were a little better.

I'd recommend USACG as well.
http://www.usacustomguitars.com/
Old 21st April 2006
  #13
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 

I've got two warmoth necks on two different teles and I love them.
Old 21st April 2006
  #14
Gear addict
 
godcity's Avatar
 

whats this talk of warmoth not finishing necks? i've bought 3 or 4 necks from them and they've been more than happy to finish them. and they do a great job. i especially like the vintage yellow satin finish.
i think this git would be badass with one of warmoth's satin vintage yellow necks with CBS headstock and short-scale conversion.
Old 21st April 2006
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah
Maybe I'll just get a neck on it before I start deciding on changing the pickups...heh

I must say though, I'm expecting/hoping for something good from the Duncan Broadcaster pickup in the bridge.

There are a couple of lefty necks in the showcase section of the Warmoth site that seem cool, I might plump for one of them...
Warmoth necks are really nice, I have one of those duncan broadcaster pickups, it's like a needle going thru your head, nothing like what you would expect. Years ago Seymour Duncan made wonderful pickups, I have an old Duncan 59 on my Les Paul and a JB on a custom guitar. But every Seymour Duncan vintage pickup I've heard has been real thin. I have a strat that had duncan alnico II's, same thing. I replaced my SD tele broadcaster pickup with a Fralin and did the same with my Strat and fell in love.
Old 21st April 2006
  #16
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 

Yeah Fralins are nice for vintage tone. Ditto to Van Zandt's, at least the ones wound by the old man - I have a set of True Vintage on my '64, haven't heard the ones wound by his nephew. There's a little known pick up maker down in Melbourne, Ky, Jim Rolph, who wound me some for a thinline a few years back - wow. Amazing. Thinlines look cool, but usually sound like crap.
Old 21st April 2006
  #17
Gear maniac
 
Bolt Thrower's Avatar
 

Just wanted to cast another vote in favor of Warmoth. Their compound radius is a great feature and the necks are super smooth (satin finish). Getting the nicest woods and upgrades for it can bring the price north of $400, but I have to say that Warmoth necks are some of the most comfortable I've ever played.

My only gripe is that my neck order (which was closer to $500) shipped without a Truss Rod adjustment tool. Considering that the neck requires this to finish its setup, I found this to be a bit insulting given the cost.
Old 25th April 2006
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford
Yeah Fralins are nice for vintage tone. Ditto to Van Zandt's, at least the ones wound by the old man - I have a set of True Vintage on my '64, haven't heard the ones wound by his nephew. There's a little known pick up maker down in Melbourne, Ky, Jim Rolph, who wound me some for a thinline a few years back - wow. Amazing. Thinlines look cool, but usually sound like crap.

I went through the pickup re-winding thing back in the 70's when I was building guitars (like the maple double neck used by John McLaughlin) with Rex Bogue. I now prefer the stock machine wound Fenders for the most part unless I'm going after a select response, like the 2k ohm coils Seymor Duncan made for my custom Tele 12 string in 1979.

My Thinline has a '65 strat neck, stock pickups, a old style bridge with brass saddles. These are great combination as it took several incarnations to find the right combination of parts for that guitar.


Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 25th April 2006
  #19
Gear addict
 
mhartman's Avatar
 

just another shout out for Warmoth. They do a great job. If you go through their showcase or closeouts you can get yourself a really good deal. You can also find some warmoth stuff on ebay from time to time.

Mike
Old 4th April 2009
  #20
Gear interested
 

"[quote=Messiah;683461]I've just picked this Tele body ....
....Can anyone recommend a good place to get a LEFTY Tele neck?..."

There's a guy in Germany ,he takes special orders on anything :necks
bodys,pu's...anything... and his work is just amazing.E mail :
l-bryk.de
Old 25th October 2011
  #21
Gear interested
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Warmoth necks are really nice, I have one of those duncan broadcaster pickups, it's like a needle going thru your head, nothing like what you would expect. Years ago Seymour Duncan made wonderful pickups, I have an old Duncan 59 on my Les Paul and a JB on a custom guitar. But every Seymour Duncan vintage pickup I've heard has been real thin. I have a strat that had duncan alnico II's, same thing. I replaced my SD tele broadcaster pickup with a Fralin and did the same with my Strat and fell in love.
If your gonna buy a finished warmoth neck.. buy another used telecaster instead and sell the other.. far cheaper.. warmoth neck cost more than a MIM tele.. and the necks are the same in the USA and the MIM versions
Old 25th October 2011
  #22
The benefit of Warmoth is you get to choose everything. Buy used and you get what you get.

Straight maple, birdseye or flame maple. Mahagony, walnut, rosewood, you pick. Maple, rosewood or ebony fingerboards. Plastic, pearl or abalone inlays. Several fret choices including stainless steel.

Pick a Fender 7 1/2" radius, Gibson 12" radius, modern Fender 9.5" radius or compound. Pick a finish or none at all.

Most importantly, neck shape. They have a size for everyone. The Clapton shape fits my hands best, no fatigue.

No brainer. Add one of their fine hardwood bodies and make a special guitar.
Old 25th October 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
vernier's Avatar
I like the looks of maple, but that burst would look good with rosewood, so what the heck.
.
.
.
Old 11th November 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Sofa King's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post
I've just picked this Tele body up off eBay and I need to get hold of a neck to go with it...
It's got a Duncan Broadcaster in the bridge and a Duncan P-90 at the neck...

I'm thinking a '62 Custom Bound style would look best (rosewood) but I'm open to suggestions from any Tele guru's.

So, what d'ya think would suit it most?

MOST IMPORTANTLY:

Can anyone recommend a good place to get a LEFTY Tele neck?

TIA!

check out The Guitar Mill in Nashville.
I have one of their Teles, and its just perfect.
They also sell parts.

Bodies/Necks
Old 12th November 2011
  #25
Lives for gear
 
_Ludovico's Avatar
 

It depends on what specs and finish you want.

Warmoth necks are very nice but they're only offered finished in poly. Also, they don't offer the super comfy 7,25" fretboard radius.

They promote their compound radius alot, and I do not know if it's that great because I haven't tried it.

When I was looking for a neck for a partscaster, I ordered from Musikraft.com, because I wanted a full 7,25" ratio and nitro finish.

Depeding on what exactly you want, they're all good...
Old 12th November 2011
  #26
Last time I checked you can get 7 1/2" radius and nitrocellulose laquer finishes from Warmoth.
Old 13th November 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
 
_Ludovico's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Last time I checked you can get 7 1/2" radius and nitrocellulose laquer finishes from Warmoth.
Good thing then cause they're great!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
lclyman / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
bwindsor / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
5
jwh1192 / Music Computers
1
BevvyB / Music Computers
4

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search