The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe making wierd sound?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe making wierd sound?

My fender hot rod deluxe started making this weird sound yesterday. I got my power tubes changed as well as a preamp tube that needed changing only 2 months ago. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the problem might be from this attached recording.
Attached Files

amp test.wav (7.27 MB, 1857 views)

Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigteets922 View Post
My fender hot rod deluxe started making this weird sound yesterday. I got my power tubes changed as well as a preamp tube that needed changing only 2 months ago. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the problem might be from this attached recording.

I'd try taking your tubes out and then putting them back in.....reseating them essentially.

If that doesn't help then you may have a bad capacitor and will have to haul it in to a tech. Bummer...I hate stuff like this!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigteets922 View Post
Though new tubes can certainly make noise, that distortion in the clip is not a noise you'd typically hear in a new tube. I listen to tubes for several hours a day and typically only faulty/failing tubes behave like that unless there's a problem elsewhere in the circuit. Though a new tube can randomly become faulty without warning, there's a good chance that you need something like a cap replaced. Sometimes, putting in new tubes will be a strain on components that were just getting by with the older, weaker tubes.

Like JJ said, re-seat them. Also, switch their positioning, to see if it changes anything. I'd avoid leaving the amp on (aside from brief testing) because you don't want to create a larger, more expensive problem.

And, though it seems obvious, be sure to try a different guitar and cable.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Sounds like a bad connection, be it a loose jack, a bad solder joint, a dirty pot contact, loose speaker connection.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search