The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fender 2-button Footswitch Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Fender 2-button Footswitch

Hey, this is my first post in this forum! Seems like a cool place with a ton of great information!

Anywho, this may seem like an awfully question dumb question, but I'm brand new to the world of guitar pedals. I've got a Fender Frontman 212R that came with the 2-button Drive/Overdrive Footswitch.

Now that I'm starting to get into pedals and such, I was wondering if I should keep the Footswitch...is it still necessary if I purchase a new Distortion pedal?

Thanks!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
Amp distortion and pedal distortion tend to be two different things. That said, I've had very few solid state amps that had distortion that was worth a damn. OTOH, I've been able to use the distortion channel of some amps (like my Tech21 TM60) as a cool different flavor of clean/crunch. Get the pedal, try the sound out and see if there's any value left in the amp distortion...
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Sounds reasonable. I know that if i were to get a pedal, I'd obviously be able to have much more control of the sound of the distortion. I was looking at pedalboards on another forum and saw that someone had both the Footswitch and a pedal, which is really I think where my question arose in the first place.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

It's totally up to you. I like to set my amp on the gain channel, but set it so it's just on the edge of breaking up. I use it as a clean channel that I can be dynamic with it. I then use my Fulldrive for my overdrive. But, if I need a super clean tone with minimal breakup I'll throw the footswitch on my board so I can go between the clean and the gain channel. If you have the room, it won't hurt to leave the footswitch on your board. Then again, if you find you like to just use the pedal for your distortion it might just take up extra room.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search