The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Show your FAV GUITAR...

Since we have such an interesting thread of cool pedalboards, I though there must be some great looking and tone monster guitars out there and we all like to show pictures of our kids...

This is my first offering, my fav guitar and goto one to play these days.
A Kit guitar I made from Carvin, a bolt on neck, EBONY fingerboard, special added black chrome hardware. Neck and setup extensively worked on with neck shim kick back and superb action and intonation. Pickups are Carvin AP-11s in neck and mid with added Fralin base plates (grounded). Bridge is a full size HB w split coil option. Additional switch added to turn on the neck pickup , 9 positions in all. This guitar just drips tone, you should hear the neck w split coil bridge and the ebony neck quality sounding like the mid position on an LP.

I have better made ones but this one I built just keeps sounding so good I end up playing it most of the time. They are true single coils w the base plates and yet this puppy is rather quiet grounded and shielded really well.

Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

On a limited budget, I've tried to gather a small selection of
specialty guitars.

The guitar that still gets the most play time is my '93 Fender USA
Strat Plus with all Gold Lace Sensors.

My other favorite is my 2005 Ibanez AF105NT Hollow Body

While it can do smooth jazz with flat wounds, this guitar is one mean
rocking guitar, especially for rhythm and for slide work.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
Thanks for posting. Nothing wrong with any guitar it's all more the setup, playability, and tone that matters. I am not crazy with the vintage thing myself. I love new virgin guitars myself I can setup and break in to fit me and all the parts are in perfect order. Paying 5 grand for an old guitar or a "reissue" just is not something I would do. I've always wanted that Jimmy Page LP signature model but my wife is not going to stand for dropping 5-6 grand on a guitar.

I have been using Carvin's for a number of years and I swear by them in quality, build and tones. I cannot afford many I bought in the past so I tried building one of their kits adding some speciality goodies. It turned out to be the best Strat I have ever had. Kit runs about $500 and is by far better than any stock guitar anywhere that price. I cannot do the finish they can get but a guitar needs to sound better than it is pretty. Carvin can do some mind boggling finishes but they also have great tone and playability.

Not to mention they put my name on all my guitars and they all come with Spertzel locking tuners as std equip.

Hear is the rare Ebony fingerboard Strat again.
A Carvin DC127 special 3 pickup cut, 24fret neck through body Strat with 3 dual rail single coil spaced HBs. Mohogany neck and body with a maple neck, and it also has an add on Stellar ToneStyler tone control.
The higher end Carvin DC400 is 24 fret, all mohogany w a maple top flame finish and translucent black stain. Has active and passive electronics with split and phase switches. Sort of sounds like a hybrid LP and Strat.

Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

I can't narrow down to just 1 guitar for me, but here are my guitars I won't ever part with.

91 Les paul Studio lite -

Late 90's ESP Horizon Japan

80's Made in Japan 57 RI Strat -

For me, Japanese made guitars are my favorite. You get much more for your money, and the attention to detail is just insane. I got a bunch more guitars but for me those are the ones I couldn't get rid of.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

These three have been with me the longest (25+ years), and are least likely to leave. They perform very different functions from each other. I paid ~$360 for all three, and I have nearly-identical backups for the Gibson & Vantage (another ~$180 spent for those two).

'74 Gibson Les Paul 55, '81 Vantage Avenger AV310, '68 Teisco Del Rey KET230.

je
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-74front-medium-.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-fa-medium-.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-teiscofull-medium-.jpg  
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I gather this thread is about your favorite guitar that you actually own? Otherwise I'd probably be showing a pic of a '73 cherryburst Gibson L-5S with the low impedance pickups & trapeze tailpiece...

But these are the guitars I own

...and my favorite is probably the brown Roland G-303. It just has a neck profile that is unbelievably perfect for my style of playing. Really comfortable, easy to get around, fits me like a glove.

The PRS is a pretty close second.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
My other favorite is my 2005 Ibanez AF105NT Hollow Body
Always have been fond of that one, brother.......

Can't resist a guitar pic thread.

Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Pictures of all my guitars are at www.SGMW.co.nz

My favorites are the PRS and Les Paul Custom
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

PRS McCarty

Last edited by Igotsoul4u; 19th September 2011 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: crappy photos.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Can't resist a guitar pic thread.

Very nice! That SG on the left brings back lots of memories...my first guitar was a '71 SG Deluxe (attached pic of me with it in ~1982). Prior to it coming my way, the headstock had been broken (badly) and repaired (VERY, VERY badly), and even with some professional help over the years it never ended up being reliable for me. The tuners/pickups/pots/toggle/jack/TRC live on in my very modded '75 L6S Deluxe these days, the body/neck/bridge/etc. went on to a friend that intended to rehab it.

je
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-71sgdlx1982-medium-.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-l6sfront-medium-.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-l6sbody-medium-.jpg  
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I gather this thread is about your favorite guitar that you actually own? Otherwise I'd probably be showing a pic of a '73 cherryburst Gibson L-5S with the low impedance pickups & trapeze tailpiece...

But these are the guitars I own

...and my favorite is probably the brown Roland G-303. It just has a neck profile that is unbelievably perfect for my style of playing. Really comfortable, easy to get around, fits me like a glove.

The PRS is a pretty close second.
is that an alembic above the ibanez?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
is that an alembic above the ibanez?
No, that's his Roland GR-303 guitar synth. I've always wanted one of those.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Guru

Best playing and sounding guitar I have ever played. Jackson SLATQH Custom Shop

Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretless View Post
Ah, a man after my own heart! (I'm primarily a bassist.) What year is your Schecter? And is that a Linc Luthier just above the Schecter?

Very nice collection. Here's mine:
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Ah, a man after my own heart! (I'm primarily a bassist.) What year is your Schecter? And is that a Linc Luthier just above the Schecter?

Very nice collection. Here's mine:
Thanks man and Stunning collection you have ! Some real beauties . My Schecter is a '96 "S" series , these were originally oil finished straight classic J's or P's though this is the only "S" series P I've ever seen . I just Had it refin'd by Original Schecter man and refin guru Pat Wilkins , he did a sweet LPB .

, Yes that is a Linc , this is a '94 in Macassar Ebony and a work of art and I'm very lucky to have it . It has a wonderful organic tone .

Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Oh holy goddamn, I nearly besmirched myself! That Linc bass is gorgeous!
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Yeah, that is a most beautiful figured Linc bass, which is a treat because I had not heard of them before. I thought my Carvin high end guitars had some figured woods and stains but man what a beauty that one.
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks guys , Linc also has a very unusual "V" neck with horizontal laminates , which makes a very stiff neck with a thin hard V profile . It's actually really sweet to play . I think he still has his website from the 80's heh

Linc Luthier Website

Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I only have one bass.......

Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Guru

Thems is some dad gum nice basses!

I only have 3 basses, my '64 Jazz Bass, '66 Hofner and my '79 Schecter USA
Custom Shop PJ bass.
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
'79 Schecter USA Custom Shop PJ bass.
Ooh, got a picture of that puppy? I'm a huge fan of older, USA-made Schecters.
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Guru

Here it 'tis :-)

One piece Hawaiian Koa body, Pau Ferro Tele Bass neck.
It took the shop 6 months just to find a solid piece of Koa
nice enough and strong enough for the body.

It also has silver inlay dots on the top of the neck.

Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear
Koa is a cool wood and so rare, beautiful natural grain. I hear they are running out of being able to get it. Carvin makes some great guitars and basses with Koa option. I had a DC135 of their's with Koa, what a killer guitar, sold it to my daughters then boyfriend who was very talented and needed a good magical guitar, thought I was really helping him, he loved it then pawned it for drugs. Never did know where he took it so I could recover it. Great loss for me. That guitar was special. Hard for me to raise that sort of money these days for another build.
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Koa is a cool wood and so rare, beautiful natural grain.
And what a wonderful aroma when you open the case!!

Hand carved Koa neck.......

Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear
Finally a guitar.
Got to love the bass guys, be lost without them. Man that Bass above is my nomination for the most beautiful wood work I have seen on a bass.
My soon to be former son-in-law is a good bass player, although I do not understand the how and the why of his 5 string tuning to his guitar player.
I always thought the bass held the key and having the same pitch tuning as the guitar was essential for the best fullest sound, their sound is pretty good but still hurts my brain figuring out their fret compensation differences. He plays an odd F (half step up) tuning and his guitarist plays down to a low C how in the hell they keep track of that is beyond me (an odd 4 fret span). I get Eb half step down as I play Strats and an Eb sounds better on a Strat scale, but F??? Never heard of it.

Very nice, heavier duty Strat, so who is the builder??

I love the option of having a full size HB in the bridge. I have a split coil on mine and a neck on bypass switch to get these two together like an LP mid position but still has that Stratty goodness of the single coil tone. My other Strat build has 3 dual rail single coil size HBs w pretty high output added a Stellar Tone ToneStyler tone control in that one. (a 16 position high bypass filter tone control w full tone control bypass mode)
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm currently enoying this custom I built..

It currently has a white p/u and MOP ufo knobs...looks 10x better. body is alder maple and cherry with chambers, and a brass plate sandwiched in between layers. Killer rock sound and sustain
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear
It's a hoot making your own guitar, these kits are just a really great way to get more in touch and personalize your guitar. They seem to just have more a magic to them and a connection to you that others don't have that same feel.
I have much better models but I love my Carvin kit (see post#1) God that guitar is just tone city. They have since improved the body cuts and I think you can get a swamp ash body wood now. I had so much fun and enjoyment building mine. I learned a lot about stains and the difficulty in finishes and just how amazing some of these curly and flamed finishes really are. I started with mine having a heavy black stain and then stripped and redid to a Danish Walnut and darkened the neck and headstock down to match the body. That hard maple neck did not want to take a stain, I had a learning curve on that one and a finish trick of steel wool smoothing and the neck plays like glass now. Plus Ebony fingerboard on a Strat, so cool I always reach for that guitar.
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Here it 'tis :-)

One piece Hawaiian Koa body, Pau Ferro Tele Bass neck.
It took the shop 6 months just to find a solid piece of Koa
nice enough and strong enough for the body.

It also has silver inlay dots on the top of the neck.

Beautiful Classic Schecter !
Old 25th September 2011
maq
Gear Nut

Here are a few of my stage favorites L to R: Fender JB Strat; EB Axis; Trussart Steeltop prototype; PRS CE-24; LP Standard; Custom Glenn Schoales (x2). In the background is my Haas Amplification Aqua-Man based on the Marshall 1974x

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search