The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 10th August 2012
  #241
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I agree it's about the player. Not sure why you want to start insulting someone like myself who chooses to play older guitars that I like.

To each their own.
There was no insult intended.

VP
Old 11th August 2012
  #242
Lives for gear
 
ProgFree's Avatar
 

It is interesting why some people still have the idea that the great guitar players will get the same sound doesn't matter the guitar they play. Well they will have at most the same expression and feeling playing any guitar. The sound it will be different. It is physics there is nothing of supernatural on this. If someone plays a Fender it will sound different from the same someone playing a Les Paul. Now some people developed very particular expression in their playing and this is what one will hear doesn't matter which guitar they play.
Old 11th August 2012
  #243
Lives for gear
 
Hot Vibrato's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by progfreak View Post
It is interesting why some people still have the idea that the great guitar players will get the same sound doesn't matter the guitar they play. Well they will have at most the same expression and feeling playing any guitar. The sound it will be different. It is physics there is nothing of supernatural on this. If someone plays a Fender it will sound different from the same someone playing a Les Paul. Now some people developed very particular expression in their playing and this is what one will hear doesn't matter which guitar they play.
What you say is true, but here's the deal - some folks think that if they buy all the same gear as (insert guitar hero here), they will sound just the same as that guy - it just ain't gonna happen. Clapton would sound more like Clapton playing a beginner guitar through a practice amp than anyone else would even if they had all of Clapton's gear.

The point is this: The choice of instrument that a player chooses will affect their sound, but the tone comes from the player.
Old 11th August 2012
  #244
Gear Maniac
 
poopynuggeteer's Avatar
Here's my baby
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-facedown-fest-day-two.3251988.36.jpg  
Old 11th August 2012
  #245
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Impossible choice between this:


- Suhr Modern

and this:


- Forshage Orion.
Old 11th August 2012
  #246
Quote:
Originally Posted by progfreak View Post
It is interesting why some people still have the idea that the great guitar players will get the same sound doesn't matter the guitar they play.
That myth was busted in 1967. Some still have to learn it the hard way.
Old 12th August 2012
  #247
Lives for gear
 
BLueROom's Avatar
 

I should have this in a couple days... should be fun!!

Blakhart Custom Shop 8 string Burn

Old 12th August 2012
  #248
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
What you say is true, but here's the deal - some folks think that if they buy all the same gear as (insert guitar hero here), they will sound just the same as that guy - it just ain't gonna happen. Clapton would sound more like Clapton playing a beginner guitar through a practice amp than anyone else would even if they had all of Clapton's gear.

The point is this: The choice of instrument that a player chooses will affect their sound, but the tone comes from the player.
So true, and yet a whole market of pedals and processors based upon "sounds like" yada. Most of the gear I see these days is obviously directed at the younger less advanced player who still has a lot of myth and lore about tones and sound. We can only hope they do not stop putting out the better boutique gear for those of us who know better.
Old 12th August 2012
  #249
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
Well, if you ever get the chance plug an original Les Paul into your amplifier of choice and plug a Historic or whatever in next to it and judge for yourself.

Maybe you'll agree, maybe you won't.

It's funny you mention cars, as I have an old 50's Corvette and Shelby Cobra and have little desire to own a new Corvette (awesome cars though) or repro Cobra.
I'll take that new Corvette SR1 or whatever it is called any day. Also fond of new Dodge Vipers. Old cars are cool, I love those rebuilt and improved old cars but if I were buying or driving, I still dig new. Also dig new houses with modern energy insulation tech. Just what works for me. If I had an old '59 LP or whatever I would probably glass case it for looks as art.
I just retubed and bias set my amp with a new set of Mullards, man does that puppy sound good. I am not sure tubes make all that much difference but I am loving the new Mullard line of tubes.
Old 12th August 2012
  #250
Gear Head
 

1973 all original Guild Blusbird. Some people call it a les paul copy, i disagree. Its got a master volume and a phase switch. Chambered body. Its awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-uploadfromtaptalk1344803262471.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-uploadfromtaptalk1344803315136.jpg  
Old 12th August 2012
  #251
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tplaysguitar View Post
1973 all original Guild Blusbird. Some people call it a les paul copy, i disagree. Its got a master volume and a phase switch. Chambered body. Its awesome.
Beautiful! I worked at Guild in Westerly RI in the late 80's. I remember those guitars well.

VP
Old 12th August 2012
  #252
Lives for gear
 
noah330's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I'll take that new Corvette SR1 or whatever it is called any day. Also fond of new Dodge Vipers. Old cars are cool, I love those rebuilt and improved old cars but if I were buying or driving, I still dig new. Also dig new houses with modern energy insulation tech. Just what works for me. If I had an old '59 LP or whatever I would probably glass case it for looks as art.
I just retubed and bias set my amp with a new set of Mullards, man does that puppy sound good. I am not sure tubes make all that much difference but I am loving the new Mullard line of tubes.
Had a new Vette a few years ago and it was cool but my Porsche is a much cooler car and is a lot more fun to drive. With Vettes I like the old ones!

To each their own.
Old 15th August 2012
  #253
Gear Head
 

Here's mine - a Royal Electra MkII Custom - made for me in 1987 by UK luthier Kevin Chilcott...

Old 16th August 2012
  #254
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget13769 View Post
Here's mine - a Royal Electra MkII Custom - made for me in 1987 by UK luthier Kevin Chilcott...

Is that to lighten it up or just for looks? Like the tilted HB in the bridge.
Old 17th August 2012
  #255
These are my two: 1976 Fender Stratocaster and 1969 SG Special.
The Strat has a stop tailpiece, Graph Tech saddles and a Seymor Duncan Classic Stack on bridge.
The SG has a Badass bridge and original P90s.
Both sound as expected.
Show your FAV GUITAR...-2610_1051181276590_1073982_n.jpg
Old 20th August 2012
  #256
Lives for gear
 
dabigfrog's Avatar
 

how can you have just one fav?
Old 24th August 2012
  #257
Lives for gear
 
Travst's Avatar
'76 Les Paul Custom.

Old 30th August 2012
  #258
Gear Head
 

Slightly modified 1961 LP Jr. Got it at George Gruhn in Nasheville. This is RIGHT when the SG body took over the LP jr line. The tuning machines and bridge were notoriously difficult so the previous owner (Beeb Birtles of the Little River Band) routed a standard tune-o-matic. Because of this and the fact that it has aged considerably, I have no qualms of trekking around with it live. While the mod devalues it, it is the ONLY known burst 60's Lpj in existence (factory fluke). It'm lefty so the neck is righty (logo is upside down) because it was considered a "learners" guitar and who gave a ****. The real winning component is the one P90 in the bridge. It's unreal and is a far cry from modern recreations. It's very hotly wound: it outguns my humbucker guitars but maybe that's just that big open p90 sound. It's much quieter than Strat pickups.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-img_0761.jpg  
Old 30th August 2012
  #259
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Slightly modified 1961 LP Jr. Got it at George Gruhn in Nasheville. This is RIGHT when the SG body took over the LP jr line. The tuning machines and bridge were notoriously difficult so the previous owner (Beeb Birtles of the Little River Band) routed a standard tune-o-matic. Because of this and the fact that it has aged considerably, I have no qualms of trekking around with it live. While the mod devalues it, it is the ONLY known burst 60's Lpj in existence (factory fluke). It'm lefty so the neck is righty (logo is upside down) because it was considered a "learners" guitar and who gave a ****. The real winning component is the one P90 in the bridge. It's unreal and is a far cry from modern recreations. It's very hotly wound: it outguns my humbucker guitars but maybe that's just that big open p90 sound. It's much quieter than Strat pickups.
Very nice. I love how light LP Jr's are. Great for the back.
Old 31st August 2012
  #260
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Is that to lighten it up or just for looks? Like the tilted HB in the bridge.
Just for looks, though the body is mahogany, so the weight-relief is quite welcome.

The pickups are an EMG 60 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck. Again, I think the tilt is mainly cosmetic, but there used to be quite a lot of 80s super strats with this kind of placement (?)
Old 1st September 2012
  #261
Lives for gear
 
Kronos147's Avatar
How do you choose just one?
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-picture-1918a.jpg  
Old 4th September 2012
  #262
Gear Addict
 
Fu Schnickens's Avatar
 

My current favorite. Gretsch 3161 Historic Series Thinline Synchromatic. A mouthful, and not the best player - the neck is a 2x4, only 20 small frets with limited access, and it squeals like a hollowbody pig sometimes. But it's beautiful and it makes me feel cooler than usual when I play it.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-img_0488.jpg  
Old 7th September 2012
  #263
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrahle View Post
Very nice. I love how light LP Jr's are. Great for the back.
Precisely. My Les Paul is a sit down studio guitar and little else, not because I don't like the sound, but if you play for a long time it really comes back to haunt you the next day, and I'm only 25. I'm really happy to see the chambered thing is starting to come to the non-insanely expensive lines.
Old 11th September 2012
  #264
Here for the gear
 

Bob Huff Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
Not a Les Paul per se this guitar was one of my early favorites. The picture is me at 17 playing the guitar in a church in La Mesa Calif. The Guitar is called 'No.2' and is part of a series of two guitars each tagged as 'The Bone' followed with No.1 and No.2. There were two 'Bones' and they were built for a local San Diego guitarist named Jack Sherman by Bob Huff at a shop called American Dream Music. American Dream Music in those days was located in Lemon Grove, Calif - right off Hiway 94. It was the cool musician's hang in the 70's. Many famous luthiers got their start in that shop. Bob Taylor (Yes That Taylor....Taylor Guitars) painted both guitars after Bob Huff built them from scratch. Bob Huff was quite a luthier at his young age...I think he was only 22 when he built the guitars.

Jack had the first one built - all white with gold trim. He had dog bones put as fret markers. Deciding he didn't like that one he had #2 built, again with dog bones. He also had little diode lights placed on the side of the neck - these lit up and helped Sherman see where he was on the neck on a dark stage before the lights came up ( that's the myth he told me at the time). The diodes stopped working years ago.

He decided he liked the first one best and ended up giving me #2 for a mere pittance. This is that guitar after 37 years. It shows it's age and the pleasure with which I played it. There is a tiny hole down beneath the two tone controls - that was done by another long time guitar shop without my permission. I was getting a secret boosting amp fixed. Originally Sherman had this small preamp installed in the circuit - and there was a button on the back plastic control cavity you would push to get about 15 - 20 db of boost. Back in the voodoo days of guitars that was quite a cool little trick to have. Anyway the button broke and I sent it in for repair and this idiot drilled a hole to put in a DPDT switch. I was mad for years - and never brought anything to those guys again.
-------
I remember Jack Sherman (guitarist with the band "Redemption") front of stage with "The Bone" in the late 70's playing the El Cortez ballroom on Saturday nights. He mostly played a laminated sandwich "SG" shape (a la Alembic) in those days with the same dog bone inlays in the finger board. As a guitarist and budding luthier I also lived within American Dream's sphere at the time, and bought a sister body/neck to your "Paul" under construction from BH at the shop when AD was liquidating. Birdseye maple throughout (heavy, baby), and with the same quasi-Taylor head shape. Sorry, no photos survive of that beauty after completion, sold when I moved to Australia in the 90's.

Interestingly (or not), AD co-founder Sam R. worked with me fabricating cold-molded veneer wind turbine blades in San Diego in the early 80's, after he had finished building his wooden sailboat. He had many skills to share. Thanks for the memories,

Crimso, long-time SD guy (New member).

Last edited by Crimso; 11th September 2012 at 03:09 AM.. Reason: Data input error
Old 13th September 2012
  #265
Gear Nut
My favorite guitar is my 1964 330S (S is for special), a domestic version of the Rose Morris 1997:

Old 13th September 2012
  #266
Gear Addict
 

My Favorite now.

I just put this Bigsby B7 on my 2006 Les Paul Standard. I used the Vibramate adapter plates, no drilling required and I can change it back to stock at any time with no permanent alterations.

VP
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-bigsby-installation-013.jpg  
Old 13th September 2012
  #267
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sys700 View Post
My favorite guitar is my 1964 330S (S is for special), a domestic version of the Rose Morris 1997:

That is flawless. It is a reissue made in 1997?

VP
Old 13th September 2012
  #268
Gear Nut
No, it is all original. Full view:

Old 13th September 2012
  #269
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sys700 View Post
No, it is all original.
What was the Rose Morris 1997?

VP
Old 13th September 2012
  #270
Gear Nut
Rose Morris imported Rickenbacker guitars into the UK from 1964 through 1967 or so. They asked for an f-hole instead of the typical Rickenbacker slash, because they were into the Gretsch look at the time. When Pete Townshend and others started playing them, demand grew in the US for similar models, so a (very) few were made for the domestic market and labeled "special". The 1997 was essentially a 335 (330 with Accent vibrato). The domestic equivalent was the 330S with trapeze tailpiece. Here's a list of the models that were available:

Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump