The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 28th July 2012
Gear Head

I just picked up this 1981 Gibson Explorer E2. Everything is original as far as I can tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-munozphoto.com-explorer-11-edit-edit.jpg  
Old 3rd August 2012
Here for the gear

My new guitar is currently my favourite guitar :D

Old 3rd August 2012
Gear Maniac

'65 SG, bought it at a pawn shop with the hard case for $80 in the early 90's.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-sg1.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-sg4.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-sg7.jpg  
Old 3rd August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman manlord View Post
'65 SG, bought it at a pawn shop with the hard case for $80 in the early 90's.
Wow, those days are gone, good luck now trying to buy anything "Vintage" without losing an arm or a leg!

VP
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Wow, those days are gone, good luck now trying to buy anything "Vintage" without losing an arm or a leg!

VP
The odd thing is that there are more vintage guitars out then were originally built.
Old 3rd August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
The odd thing is that there are more vintage guitars out then were originally built.
Yea right, the whole thing is kind of a scam. I am tired of all the "Vintage" jargon and reissues out there. An old guitar is still just an old guitar, good or bad.

VP
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea right, the whole thing is kind of a scam. I am tired of all the "Vintage" jargon and reissues out there. An old guitar is still just an old guitar, good or bad.

VP

I disagree. I think what is considered "vintage" is a scam but the true classics are sought after for a reason.

My fav:

Old 3rd August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I disagree. I think what is considered "vintage" is a scam but the true classics are sought after for a reason.

My fav:

Perhaps there are some great old guitars out there, I just think many take advantage of the whole "Vintage" collectability "Market".

VP
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perhaps there are some great old guitars out there, I just think many take advantage of the whole "Vintage" collectability "Market".

VP
Old doesn't make something good. I see a lot of "vintage" no name pieces or guitars like the late 70s Fender or even the 80s Fender stuff now.

This (to me) is a vintage guitar (a year older the the first one I posted).

Don't get me wrong, I have some early 70s Fender stuff that is great. Some nice Norlin Gibson stuff as well. Great guitars but in my mind those will never be vintage pieces.

Old 4th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I have some early 70s Fender stuff that is great. Some nice Norlin Gibson stuff as well. Great guitars but in my mind those will never be vintage pieces.
You'll need to adjust the tv set soon.<G> Actually I know where you are going with that train of thought. It's not that a 1970 Stratocaster isn't old, and isn't considered an Antique now...it is. But they aren't classics - Some are great guitars; fun to play; and are aesthetically nice. But there is a reverence that goes with a 1957 LP, or a 57 Stratocaster, or a 54 Telecaster that will never be present in any modern day built 'vintage replica' guitar.
Old 4th August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
You'll need to adjust the tv set soon.<G> Actually I know where you are going with that train of thought. It's not that a 1970 Stratocaster isn't old, and isn't considered an Antique now...it is. But they aren't classics - Some are great guitars; fun to play; and are aesthetically nice. But there is a reverence that goes with a 1957 LP, or a 57 Stratocaster, or a 54 Telecaster that will never be present in any modern day built 'vintage replica' guitar.
How can you be so sure? have you tried them all?

VP
Old 4th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
How can you be so sure? have you tried them all?

VP
Why yes I have.

I have a lot of guitars - and it is just my observations over time.
Old 6th August 2012
Lives for gear
Food for thought as it where regarding all things "vintage".

The matter of magnet degradation over time, interesting notion. The "magic' sound a '59 had cannot sound the same over 50 years later with the aging of magnets and components. It has to sound different than it did 50 years ago.

A reissue rebuilt to say '59 specs has new magnet pickups which might be the same as an original '59 but not the same as an old aged one. Up side is new frets and components, down side to old is worn out parts. So it makes one ponder exactly what is "vintage" and what is one really trying to recapture or is it basically a snipe hunt??? Why can't a new guitar with quality workmanship and components have magic? Just pondering the mythical magical mystery tour.

Personally I love my brand new custom builds and they sound exceptional. Necks are perfect and frets flawless pickups engineered and tweaked for tone and low noise. I guess "vintage" is a thing some desire for nostalgia sake but really only a well done reissue is similar to the old and the really old is not as it was. So is a real old '59 really worth the considerable price tag and what does one do about worn out frets, perhaps neck bow or wood degradation plus component issues, replace, repair, then is that really a "vintage"?
Just wondering...
Old 6th August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post

The matter of magnet degradation over time, interesting notion. The "magic' sound a '59 had cannot sound the same over 50 years later with the aging of magnets and components. It has to sound different than it did 50 years ago.

A reissue rebuilt to say '59 specs has new magnet pickups which might be the same as an original '59 but not the same as an old aged one. Up side is new frets and components, down side to old is worn out parts. So it makes one ponder exactly what is "vintage" and what is one really trying to recapture or is it basically a snipe hunt??? Why can't a new guitar with quality workmanship and components have magic? Just pondering the mythical magical mystery tour.

Personally I love my brand new custom builds and they sound exceptional. Necks are perfect and frets flawless pickups engineered and tweaked for tone and low noise. I guess "vintage" is a thing some desire for nostalgia sake but really only a well done reissue is similar to the old and the really old is not as it was. So is a real old '59 really worth the considerable price tag and what does one do about worn out frets, perhaps neck bow or wood degradation plus component issues, replace, repair, then is that really a "vintage"?
Just wondering...
Good point, I have 6 relatively new Gibsons and they have Magic.

VP
Old 6th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
...what does one do about worn out frets, perhaps neck bow or wood degradation plus component issues, replace, repair, then is that really a "vintage"?
Just wondering...
I'm a repairman. Here's my opinion:

What you do is take the instrument to the best repairman you can possibly find (be careful - there's some really bad ones out there). Bowed necks and worn out frets can almost always be remedied by planing the fingerboard and re-fretting. An expert repairman will take much more time when re-fretting an instrument than could ever take place in a factory. The end result is an instrument that plays BETTER than it EVER has - and if the job was done by a true expert, it'll look like it came from the factory that way, and it'll play as good or better than any new guitar. The best of both worlds, indeed. Is it still truly vintage? Is a '57 Chevy still vintage once it's had its tires replaced?

I agree that the value placed on certain vintage instruments has gone beyond ridiculous, but I will say this about old guitars: the wood is far more stable - any warpage that that is going to happen to a guitar neck will take place within the first few years of its existence, and it'll certainly be done warping after 30 or 40 years. Once it's been properly planed and re-fretted, it will not undergo the changes that a new neck will. I should also mention the effects of age on the tone of an instrument. On an electric guitar, I think the difference is negligible, but on an acoustic instrument, the change in sound that occurs over time is undeniable. Some people think older guitars just sound better - and when it comes to acoustic instruments, I agree.

You have a point about the changes in magnetism within a pickup. I'm not sure how you would quantify the amount of change over the years. I've read about re-magnetizing pickups, but I've never done it, and this certainly lies beyond my realm of expertise.

As for the other parts of the instrument that can wear out, this can be a problem, especially if you are unwilling to compromise originality. I've got a couple of old New York era Epiphones whose tuners cannot be replaced, so if something happens, I'll be on ebay looking for some good old ones, and presumably, I'll be paying out the nose for them (if I can even find them).

Certainly, the inherent value attached to "vintage" instruments is not always warranted - there are plenty of "vintage" guitars that are nothing but old worn-out guitars, many of which have had stupid modifications performed on them at some point in their existence.

There are plenty of new guitars that are well made, high quality instruments. And there's no reason that a new guitar can't have as much, or more "magic" than an old one.
Old 6th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

A reissue rebuilt to say '59 specs has new magnet pickups which might be the same as an original '59 but not the same as an old aged one.
Seymour Duncan custom shop has a aging process on magnets that allows them to build a PUP to the exact spec that it should be to produce the tone the way owners expect from a 'vintage' instruments.

There is a lot of 'voodoo' in the pickup world still IMO - not among the manufacturers but among the user base.

Guitar electronics are simple circuits that can be easily duplicated.

I should be clear that 'Vintage' guitars aren't the only electric guitars that are great. And I should note that IMO only a seriously misguided musician would
want to spend $145000 USD on a old LP - unless of course they had disposable cash up the yin yang.

If someone wanted a LP with the feel and sound of a 57 or 59 LP Standard - it's totally possible. But a luthier would have to be paid well for the length of time it would take to build one - the kiln drying to age the wood properly takes about 4 months along.
Old 6th August 2012
Gear Addict
This one is my metal machine. Lefty B.C. Rich NJ series Warlock. DiMarzios; Bridge p.u. is a XN-2, neck p.u. is a Vai Evolution. I holoflashed it myself.

Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Seymour Duncan custom shop has a aging process on magnets that allows them to build a PUP to the exact spec that it should be to produce the tone the way owners expect from a 'vintage' instruments.

There is a lot of 'voodoo' in the pickup world still IMO - not among the manufacturers but among the user base.

Guitar electronics are simple circuits that can be easily duplicated.

I should be clear that 'Vintage' guitars aren't the only electric guitars that are great. And I should note that IMO only a seriously misguided musician would
want to spend $145000 USD on a old LP - unless of course they had disposable cash up the yin yang.

If someone wanted a LP with the feel and sound of a 57 or 59 LP Standard - it's totally possible. But a luthier would have to be paid well for the length of time it would take to build one - the kiln drying to age the wood properly takes about 4 months along.

I still get stuck in a catch 22 of an aged pickup does not sound like it did when it was new and legendary, and all vintage costing an arm and a leg are aged. Restoring them I do not really get unless one has lottery money to waste.

For many years now I have been using Carvin customs and I just love the things, even the kit I built which is just a tone monster. Sperzel locking tuners and heavy duty bridge hardware, flawless machined neck work and frets, once I started using the newbies and having them built to my choice of woods and whatnot I never went back to traditional guitar name brands. Best buy in the realm for my tastes. Once I spend a few days setting the guitar up I can say I have never had to adjust even neck bow in a decade, solid, and just good wood. Intonation is of course a matter of strings.

Brand name tends to cost a lot more than the potential quality or tone of a guitar or amp. I love that new Satriani mod Marshall JVM410 but geessshh $3300, my wife is like why is that so much? IS that so much better than what you have? Just prefer new myself whether its guitars or amps. Same deal with an old amp, by the time you recondition it, its more like a new amp.

I'm just saying a well done reissue of a classic is probably the better way to go. I never can help the feeling that the nostalgia factor of the old is a lot more myth and lore than the stuff really was. Like we just have not been able to make a decent amp or guitar since '59. really??? They say the wood quality of several hundred years ago was different and that is why a Stradivarius violin had such a great tone, but, those were acoustic instruments depending heavily on the resonance quality of the wood and instrument. I have various guitars made out of differing woods and really the difference is more to the pickups and such, I never have noticed woods really made all that much difference except maybe in shear weight and density to sustain factor. Just my thoughts...
Old 8th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm just saying a well done reissue of a classic is probably the better way to go. I never can help the feeling that the nostalgia factor of the old is a lot more myth and lore than the stuff really was. Like we just have not been able to make a decent amp or guitar since '59. really??? They say the wood quality of several hundred years ago was different and that is why a Stradivarius violin had such a great tone, but, those were acoustic instruments depending heavily on the resonance quality of the wood and instrument. I have various guitars made out of differing woods and really the difference is more to the pickups and such, I never have noticed woods really made all that much difference except maybe in shear weight and density to sustain factor. Just my thoughts...
I disagree. If the new ones were better my Historic Gibson guitars would be as good as the old one, and while many people think they are most of those people have never owned an old one.

I can see people not wanting to drop that much coin on a guitar. One of mine I bought a while ago when it was a lot but much less then it is now. The latest one I got I did a trade that had about 15 Private Stock/Custom made PRS and some newer Gibson guitars. I like the one LP better then all of those.

That being said, there are tons of great new guitars being made. The Gibson Historics are really nice (not as good as the classic years, but still great), small builders like Suhr, Roman, Fano, etc... are really great guitars.

For acoustics I still prefer old Martin, Gibson and Guild (as well as some off brands like Kel, etc...) but companies like Martin (the USA stuff), Collings, etc... all make fantastic guitars.

As for amps, I mainly play old Fender but have some new Soldano, /13, etc... I mean, Dumble made some great amps after 59!

There is good stuff out there now, some of us love the old stuff. Nice that there is access to both.

The fact that the first LP I bought when it was the price of a car and now it's the price of a house just makes it that much better to buy. Although I doubt I'll sell any of them.
Old 8th August 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
I disagree. If the new ones were better my Historic Gibson guitars would be as good as the old one, and while many people think they are most of those people have never owned an old one.

I can see people not wanting to drop that much coin on a guitar. One of mine I bought a while ago when it was a lot but much less then it is now. The latest one I got I did a trade that had about 15 Private Stock/Custom made PRS and some newer Gibson guitars. I like the one LP better then all of those.

That being said, there are tons of great new guitars being made. The Gibson Historics are really nice (not as good as the classic years, but still great), small builders like Suhr, Roman, Fano, etc... are really great guitars.

For acoustics I still prefer old Martin, Gibson and Guild (as well as some off brands like Kel, etc...) but companies like Martin (the USA stuff), Collings, etc... all make fantastic guitars.

As for amps, I mainly play old Fender but have some new Soldano, /13, etc... I mean, Dumble made some great amps after 59!

There is good stuff out there now, some of us love the old stuff. Nice that there is access to both.

The fact that the first LP I bought when it was the price of a car and now it's the price of a house just makes it that much better to buy. Although I doubt I'll sell any of them.

Yeah I get what your likes are and tastes but I still have no idea what makes an old one "better"? Obviously it does not sound like it did when it was new and supposed legendary. As for wood, I cannot see how that really effects the tone much. I have guitars made out of differing woods and the various things they claim that this is brighter, warmer. darker and what not, and yet I have a couple that sound exactly opposite to what all the hype says about wood. I have an all mahogany that is bright and a basic alder that is very dark voiced, just seems to be the pickups and wiring.

Personally I could have at least 5 top of the line optioned customs for the price of one Les Paul, they sound and play extremely well and I have been playing all manner of guitars for over 35 years.

I guess its like new car or old car, personally I'll take the new fully optioned Corvette.
Old 8th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I get what your likes are and tastes but I still have no idea what makes an old one "better"? Obviously it does not sound like it did when it was new and supposed legendary. As for wood, I cannot see how that really effects the tone much. I have guitars made out of differing woods and the various things they claim that this is brighter, warmer. darker and what not, and yet I have a couple that sound exactly opposite to what all the hype says about wood. I have an all mahogany that is bright and a basic alder that is very dark voiced, just seems to be the pickups and wiring.

Personally I could have at least 5 top of the line optioned customs for the price of one Les Paul, they sound and play extremely well and I have been playing all manner of guitars for over 35 years.

I guess its like new car or old car, personally I'll take the new fully optioned Corvette.
Well, if you ever get the chance plug an original Les Paul into your amplifier of choice and plug a Historic or whatever in next to it and judge for yourself.

Maybe you'll agree, maybe you won't.

It's funny you mention cars, as I have an old 50's Corvette and Shelby Cobra and have little desire to own a new Corvette (awesome cars though) or repro Cobra.
Old 8th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I still get stuck in a catch 22....For many years now I have been using Carvin customs......Brand name tends to cost a lot more than the potential quality or tone of a except maybe in shear weight and density to sustain factor. Just my thoughts...
You aren't caught in anything beyond the confidence to believe in your choices.

And just to break the bubble...and be kind of snide...vintage is bull****. It is all in how talented you are. With great talent comes great tracks. Any other thought is simply fooling yourself or compensating for a lack of talent.
Old 8th August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:

And just to break the bubble...and be kind of snide...vintage is bull****. It is all in how talented you are. With great talent comes great tracks. Any other thought is simply fooling yourself or compensating for a lack of talent.
Yes! Give any good guitar to a great guitarist and he will make it sing. Not the "Fabricated Vintage BS"

VP
Old 9th August 2012
cheap ass guitar but its my fav

****ty sg with a p90. its not great but its my first guitar. it lives in open g capo on the fourth. I got on fb for a photo of it and my friends caption was recession guitar.Show your FAV GUITAR...-sg.jpg
Old 9th August 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:

Always been my experience a good player can make anything sound good while a poor one can make anything decent sound bad.
After playing just about everything for over 35 years, for the last decade I have used nothing but Carvin and they have always exceeded my expectations in quality.
I tend to mess w pickups at times but once properly set up these puppies are of shocking quality w the top shelf being around $1500.
I built and finished out one of their kits adding more upgrades and features, despite not being as pretty as the factory jobs it remains my fav guitar for tone and versatile ability. It is rigged for a 9 position tone select, base plates added to the neck and middle pickups and a fullsize coil tap HB in the bridge. An ebony neck on a Strat, just love it. Cost me around $500. I worked a lot on the neck shim tilt and extra shielding and ground.

I just cannot deal with anything else at this point w my history w them. The best kept and best priced secret in the guitar realm. $3-5K+ for a LP or the cost of a signature quality Fender, just too much. I had a EC Strat when they first came out, sounded nice but never really liked that boost circuit and it had those "vintage" bridge saddles and machine heads which I just find to be really poor quality, plus the trem was blocked and screwed all the way down "like Eric uses". Myself if I do not want a Trem, I build a hardtail.

The Sperzel locking tuners and the heavy duty bridge hardware standard on all Carvins really rang a bell for me. Each one I have had made or built since has just gotten better and better.
Players may do as they please and like what they wish, but if you do not have the huge bucks to drop on classic lore you should take a look at Carvin, being able to pick out everything from woods to hardware plus your name engraved on the head stock plate is just marvelous.
Old 9th August 2012
Here for the gear

I'm a very lucky man

My two main gigging basses, from Fishbone Bass Guitars | Hand Crafted Bass Guitars

Old 9th August 2012
Lives for gear

My three favorite pieces of gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-imageuploadedbygearslutz1344550521.383301.jpg  
Old 10th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes! Give any good guitar to a great guitarist and he will make it sing. Not the "Fabricated Vintage BS"

VP
I agree it's about the player. Not sure why you want to start insulting someone like myself who chooses to play older guitars that I like.

To each their own.
Old 10th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree it's about the player. Not sure why you want to start insulting someone like myself who chooses to play older guitars that I like.

To each their own.

Not sure about that either. Talent is king - the guitar chosen is an amplifier of that talent. It is whatever floats your boat.
Old 10th August 2012
Lives for gear
I would probably glass case some of the high dollar guitar collector items rather than play them. I get sick when I bang a nice guitar. That is another thing I am not a fan of and that is all beat up and "dog hammered" gear. Some dig that and old vintage stuff, whatever floats your boat, we all like what we like and the basic rule is use what makes you play better and feel better.

Man there are some jewels on this thread. Between this and the pedalboard thread some real gear porn. Dig it so much.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search