The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 23rd May 2012
  #121
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
I'm not really sure that it is fair to compare classic rock wit hip hop/rap/whateveryouwanttocallit.

Good Hip Hop tells a story and the primary way of doing that is with the lyrics and the delivery of them. Sure the beat and hooks are there to add to it, but in this case, the rapper's voice and their choice of words are the expressive instrument.

Good expressive guitar playing makes me think of lead playing where the melodies and nuances of playing are conveying something in the absence of words.

Though I'm not a hip hop fan, I couldn't say one is more less valid than the other. It's just that rock music does a lot more for me.

So in the end, they are really different art forms and it's very much up to the listener as to what is more expressive/relevant..

Every picture tells a story don't it.

Imagine the line once sung, "...long ago in days of old when magic filled the air...", one of the cool things when I was kid was the magic music had and the mystical realm it created. Is anyone really getting that from all things rap? Rap seem to me to be like an angry alcohol buzz or an ecstasy induced bass reverberation in a club.

No one ever smokes a fat one and discovers the wonder of Pink Floyd in headphones any more. Hands in the air, buuuchhha, buuuccchhaa, buuucchhhhaa, house mix...

Expression is great and artistic talent, but in dealing with reality, some "art" just looks like a 4 yr or a monkey tossed crap at a canvas and smeared it. Or someone got out an arc welder after taking acid. Some like that sort of thing, to be sure, but is that "art"?
Does that exist at the same level of a master painter or sculpture? Really?

Music is about playing music, what sense of a prodigy or a virtuoso can a medium have, that has no one really playing anything?? I realize we have moved into electronic realms from old record player scratching but again that is not a musical instrument and that is not virtuoso.

I love singers, I love well crafted songs that make pictures in your mind and make you feel great. Does not have to be in the mode of what I play or listen to in general. I can appreciated anything that sounds good. I just to not hear anything "good" in the realm of rap and hip/hop. I loved Rage Against the Machine but some of us held our breath waiting for the groove guitar funk. I cannot understand a thing being said in all things rap. Sure some great singers are mumblers at times but there does not seem to be anything coherent.


If I want to hear someone sing about angst or anger in a song, I've got Mega, and that is way cooler. "What'ta you mean, I..."

And seriously one more stupid white kid acting what they imagine black to be, or a black kid acting like a gangster tough guy, really, I suppose for fans of things like Jersey Shore and just pure stupid, it is their whole world, but man what a small planet. And I am not in any sense prejudiced towards race for the sake of race, I am 125% Obama. I just do not dig stupid on any level.

How does rap induce anything but anger and racial issues? Some approaches "cross-over" into actual tunes and songs but in general, nope.

I suppose every generation has its music as it were, but music is weighed against musical theory construction substance and groove, and beat, it beat has to be more than monotonous dirge of over-modulated bass (excuse me I mean supa-bass). Yo yo check this out, to each his own, and I am all for freedom of expression, but whenever I hear the start of anything rap, I step out or change the source, it is more grating to my sense of hearing than that ****ty snair drum sound on Metallica's St Anger. And even that I have made it through whole tracks. Cannot say I have ever made it through a whole rap oriented track. Well, confessing I have heard a few things by EMINEM (or however it is spelled), it was OK but nothing I would ever buy or really listen. Again, just no musical instrument, and seriously the "friend" some have standing there with the nice gear they bought who you cannot hear is not playing anything. I suppose we can take the looking cool if that is all we get. Dude, you be the guy who stands there acting like he's playing guitar...

For so many young kids this is their entire musical realm, and that is sadly lacking to any sense of what music is really all about.
I can understand they cannot relate to a Jeff Beck, Pagey, or Clapton because that ship sailed on for them, and the guitar seems a thing of the past but to replace it with that, really, seriously. Do teenage kids want to become rappers rather than experience how cool a guitar is? Sorry, but it is just sad.
Old 23rd May 2012
  #122
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Every picture tells a story don't it.

Imagine the line once sung, "...long ago in days of old when magic filled the air...", one of the cool things when I was kid was the magic music had and the mystical realm it created. Is anyone really getting that from all things rap? Rap seem to me to be like an angry alcohol buzz or an ecstasy induced bass reverberation in a club.

No one ever smokes a fat one and discovers the wonder of Pink Floyd in headphones any more. Hands in the air, buuuchhha, buuuccchhaa, buuucchhhhaa, house mix...

Expression is great and artistic talent, but in dealing with reality, some "art" just looks like a 4 yr or a monkey tossed crap at a canvas and smeared it. Or someone got out an arc welder after taking acid. Some like that sort of thing, to be sure, but is that "art"?
Does that exist at the same level of a master painter or sculpture? Really?

Music is about playing music, what sense of a prodigy or a virtuoso can a medium have, that has no one really playing anything?? I realize we have moved into electronic realms from old record player scratching but again that is not a musical instrument and that is not virtuoso.

I love singers, I love well crafted songs that make pictures in your mind and make you feel great. Does not have to be in the mode of what I play or listen to in general. I can appreciated anything that sounds good. I just to not hear anything "good" in the realm of rap and hip/hop. I loved Rage Against the Machine but some of us held our breath waiting for the groove guitar funk. I cannot understand a thing being said in all things rap. Sure some great singers are mumblers at times but there does not seem to be anything coherent.


If I want to hear someone sing about angst or anger in a song, I've got Mega, and that is way cooler. "What'ta you mean, I..."

And seriously one more stupid white kid acting what they imagine black to be, or a black kid acting like a gangster tough guy, really, I suppose for fans of things like Jersey Shore and just pure stupid, it is their whole world, but man what a small planet. And I am not in any sense prejudiced towards race for the sake of race, I am 125% Obama. I just do not dig stupid on any level.

How does rap induce anything but anger and racial issues? Some approaches "cross-over" into actual tunes and songs but in general, nope.

I suppose every generation has its music as it were, but music is weighed against musical theory construction substance and groove, and beat, it beat has to be more than monotonous dirge of over-modulated bass (excuse me I mean supa-bass). Yo yo check this out, to each his own, and I am all for freedom of expression, but whenever I hear the start of anything rap, I step out or change the source, it is more grating to my sense of hearing than that ****ty snair drum sound on Metallica's St Anger. And even that I have made it through whole tracks. Cannot say I have ever made it through a whole rap oriented track. Well, confessing I have heard a few things by EMINEM (or however it is spelled), it was OK but nothing I would ever buy or really listen. Again, just no musical instrument, and seriously the "friend" some have standing there with the nice gear they bought who you cannot hear is not playing anything. I suppose we can take the looking cool if that is all we get. Dude, you be the guy who stands there acting like he's playing guitar...

For so many young kids this is their entire musical realm, and that is sadly lacking to any sense of what music is really all about.
I can understand they cannot relate to a Jeff Beck, Pagey, or Clapton because that ship sailed on for them, and the guitar seems a thing of the past but to replace it with that, really, seriously. Do teenage kids want to become rappers rather than experience how cool a guitar is? Sorry, but it is just sad.
It is sad and awful. Do you think there is any hope? What will be the most popular "Music" in 10 years?

Waiting,
VP
Old 25th May 2012
  #123
Lives for gear
Hard to say really, seems like the whole mindset of the young has changed so much since I was around HS school age. Things just seemed to be so much cooler back then, the music, everything. Pants with your ass hanging out and overmodulated, unharmonic distorted rattle fest hammering out rap type "music"
I think we have all seen and heard the car next to use being vibrated to pieces w that going on, sounds like total ****, not just my opinion, it is real ****.

How anyone likes that or bases it at the center of their music paradigm is beyond understanding. Music is what it is from Classical orchestra, acoustic guitars of all styles to massive uber gain heavy music. Harmony, scale, structure, key, arrangement, just not there. I do not get it but then I again I do not have to nor remotely want to. I am sure they feel that way about my stuff.

Personally I could make more interesting noise w elephants farting in a delays

If I ever get any bucks of accord I want to sponsor some music courses at the local schools maybe some cool guitar oriented studies or just getting them on a musical instrument of any type. Once a person plays something and feels that sensation of creating music it becomes addicting. That Guitar game is helping spark interest in guitar again. Back in my day there were guitar gods who were your idols and heroes because they were amazing musicians. How is that replaced by punk ass violent gangster arm folding grimace??

How these rap guys make so much money just blows my mind. Jay Z was knocking down similar money to his wife Beyonce, that was like what....as mysterious as to why Ophra has so much money, for what????

.
Old 25th May 2012
  #124
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Hard to say really, seems like the whole mindset of the young has changed so much since I was around HS school age. Things just seemed to be so much cooler back then, the music, everything. Pants with your ass hanging out and overmodulated, unharmonic distorted rattle fest hammering out rap type "music"
I think we have all seen and heard the car next to use being vibrated to pieces w that going on, sounds like total ****, not just my opinion, it is real ****.

How anyone likes that or bases it at the center of their music paradigm is beyond understanding. Music is what it is from Classical orchestra, acoustic guitars of all styles to massive uber gain heavy music. Harmony, scale, structure, key, arrangement, just not there. I do not get it but then I again I do not have to nor remotely want to. I am sure they feel that way about my stuff.

Personally I could make more interesting noise w elephants farting in a delays

If I ever get any bucks of accord I want to sponsor some music courses at the local schools maybe some cool guitar oriented studies or just getting them on a musical instrument of any type. Once a person plays something and feels that sensation of creating music it becomes addicting. That Guitar game is helping spark interest in guitar again. Back in my day there were guitar gods who were your idols and heroes because they were amazing musicians. How is that replaced by punk ass violent gangster arm folding grimace??

How these rap guys make so much money just blows my mind. Jay Z was knocking down similar money to his wife Beyonce, that was like what....as mysterious as to why Ophra has so much money, for what????

.
I think the Internet and "Evil Ithings" are part of the equation.

VP
Old 25th May 2012
  #125
Lives for gear
 
the donal's Avatar
In all fairness though, DH,you are really describing the stereotypes that make rap/hip-hop dislikeable.

Some rap induces racial issues because it was often born out of years of systemic racial prejudice. In the same way blues music was born from the slave trade. Or it could be speaking out against social issues- if you listen to something like Dance With the Devil by Immortal Tchniques, it's some of the most harrowing lyrical content imaginable- but it's dealing directly with the worst side of gang culture. It's not inciting, but aiming to discourage. (I only recommend it if you've got something VERY cheerful to listen to afterwards! Hell- even the B-52s would do on that one).

End of the day, I'm not knocking your opinion or trying to convince you to get into rap- fair enough that you don't like it. I'm neither a big fan of or an expert on the genre. But don't judge a style by the worst examples- that's just not fair! :D

End of the day- we've still got guitar gods and great guitar music. Different styles co-exist. With all of the ****e that is in the charts these days, you do have to hunt more for the good stuff, but it's there (and that does apply to hip-hop too). I think that to be honest, the UK is the worst for the music charts- we are the most cliquey, fad based country around for music, whereas the EU or USA tend to have a wider variety of styles that people will listen to (it feels like many people over here are into just one thing and are snobbish about the rest).

Personally, I'm more against the X-Factor /Simon Cowell quick buck cynical, corporate ego-driven thing that's going on now- it's purely marketing and money making, not about music at all. It upsets me. I think that's where we should be worrying about the future of popular music!

But weren't we talking about guitars?
Old 25th May 2012
  #126
Lives for gear
 
the donal's Avatar
Anyway- wasn't the Emo/Nu-Metal wave also characterised with falling down trousers? :D
Old 25th May 2012
  #127
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
Anyway- wasn't the Emo/Nu-Metal wave also characterised with falling down trousers? :D
I thought Emo was more or less characterized as a 4-letter word..

Sent from my MB860 using Gearslutz App
Old 26th May 2012
  #128
Gear Maniac
 

Here ya go
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-guitars-crop.jpg  
Old 26th May 2012
  #129
Lives for gear
Bad tone is bad tone and bad music is bad music, just that simple, stupid clothes are stupid looking clothes, does not matter who, what, when, where or why.

I have to relate a scene I came across last year when walking through Target or Wall Mart, passed this guy w his little boy walking towards the toys. The guy had his pants so far down his entire ass was sticking out, the pants were huge like from his 500 lb dad, gathered up w a belt, as if that was not enough from the knee down he had put his little boys sweat pants on up to his knees and they were of course so small he could not hardly walk only moving his legs from the knee. Surely the most moronic and stupid thing I have yet seen a human being render. It was ridiculous, absurd, and any adjective you care to imagine. No way anything like that is cool, tough, badass, or making a statement other than I am a complete moron.
Now I do not know what sort of music this fellow listens to or likes but I wager it is not Steve Vai. That is not racist it is just par for the course which is demonstrative of the culture issues. The guy has a right to look a complete idiot, and he exercises that right.

I am not a racist or prejudiced by any imagination. But stupid is stupid and bad is bad. Rap stereotype, really, nothing I have ever heard 2 secs of marked an evolutionary change in the medium, nothing. It blows. Why engineer sound and balance EQ when someone just adds 50db of bass and sub bass to everything??

A person is free to like what they like and make bad decisions to those ends but it does not make them justified or factual. Racism does not make that one fellow look any more stupid, because that my friend is just moronic and I do not care if you are purple from Venus.

You can bask in the rap thing as much as you like. I exercise my right to not listen to it. Except that overbearing asshole in the car next to me at the stoplight, hand in hand w the mental level and their racist level of thought thinking they are OK in inflicting that upon everyone in range. That is racism my friend, not me in the other car doing my best to get through the light or muffle the vibrating mass of crap permeating my space.


Do I come to your house and blast Satriani at wall vibrating levels?? And one would call me a racist. You know what, anyone with their ass hanging out of their pants and their underwear pulled up above the beltline just looks like an idiot. Believe me, I just happen to see Justin Beiber on Ellen, my wife watches, and his pants, really, nothing worse than a white kid trying to act black and nothing worse than a black person lowering their intelligence and heritage to such a level of stupid. Just like that Jersey Shore moronic TV crap, idiots and yet those watching are providing they w more income than most of use will ever see. Not because of talent or quality but from idiots funding idiots.

You want to see prejudice and racism watch what they lie about Obama all day. That is not me. The rap medium is what it is, no one is playing a musical instrument much less to any sense of proficiency, music is playing something.

Play acting tough guy posing who cannot really sing and in general do not attempt to sing. Crossing arms with pants falling off, spitting out rhymes like a grade school mentality, "telling a story" is about as educational as Horton Hears a Hoo.
It is not music, who is playing anything. Sampling and copying music to paste into something of that nature is not being a musician or a real producer.

If one wishes to keep giving them money for a product that is not music in any sense of what music consists, be my guest, just keep it in your house or your car at a level you can hear, not me. But that is not going to happen is it.

I cannot imagine looking like some of these guys in HS, we would have made ourselves sick laughing to the point of not being able to breath. It is more like a comedy skit than a music performance and on that level it works.
Old 26th May 2012
  #130
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Bad tone is bad tone and bad music is bad music, just that simple, stupid clothes are stupid looking clothes, does not matter who, what, when, where or why.

I have to relate a scene I came across last year when walking through Target or Wall Mart, passed this guy w his little boy walking towards the toys. The guy had his pants so far down his entire ass was sticking out, the pants were huge like from his 500 lb dad, gathered up w a belt, as if that was not enough from the knee down he had put his little boys sweat pants on up to his knees and they were of course so small he could not hardly walk only moving his legs from the knee. Surely the most moronic and stupid thing I have yet seen a human being render. It was ridiculous, absurd, and any adjective you care to imagine. No way anything like that is cool, tough, badass, or making a statement other than I am a complete moron.
Now I do not know what sort of music this fellow listens to or likes but I wager it is not Steve Vai. That is not racist it is just par for the course which is demonstrative of the culture issues. The guy has a right to look a complete idiot, and he exercises that right.

I am not a racist or prejudiced by any imagination. But stupid is stupid and bad is bad. Rap stereotype, really, nothing I have ever heard 2 secs of marked an evolutionary change in the medium, nothing. It blows. Why engineer sound and balance EQ when someone just adds 50db of bass and sub bass to everything??

A person is free to like what they like and make bad decisions to those ends but it does not make them justified or factual. Racism does not make that one fellow look any more stupid, because that my friend is just moronic and I do not care if you are purple from Venus.

You can bask in the rap thing as much as you like. I exercise my right to not listen to it. Except that overbearing asshole in the car next to me at the stoplight, hand in hand w the mental level and their racist level of thought thinking they are OK in inflicting that upon everyone in range. That is racism my friend, not me in the other car doing my best to get through the light or muffle the vibrating mass of crap permeating my space.


Do I come to your house and blast Satriani at wall vibrating levels?? And one would call me a racist. You know what, anyone with their ass hanging out of their pants and their underwear pulled up above the beltline just looks like an idiot. Believe me, I just happen to see Justin Beiber on Ellen, my wife watches, and his pants, really, nothing worse than a white kid trying to act black and nothing worse than a black person lowering their intelligence and heritage to such a level of stupid. Just like that Jersey Shore moronic TV crap, idiots and yet those watching are providing they w more income than most of use will ever see. Not because of talent or quality but from idiots funding idiots.

You want to see prejudice and racism watch what they lie about Obama all day. That is not me. The rap medium is what it is, no one is playing a musical instrument much less to any sense of proficiency, music is playing something.

Play acting tough guy posing who cannot really sing and in general do not attempt to sing. Crossing arms with pants falling off, spitting out rhymes like a grade school mentality, "telling a story" is about as educational as Horton Hears a Hoo.
It is not music, who is playing anything. Sampling and copying music to paste into something of that nature is not being a musician or a real producer.

If one wishes to keep giving them money for a product that is not music in any sense of what music consists, be my guest, just keep it in your house or your car at a level you can hear, not me. But that is not going to happen is it.

I cannot imagine looking like some of these guys in HS, we would have made ourselves sick laughing to the point of not being able to breath. It is more like a comedy skit than a music performance and on that level it works.
You must have been telepathically reading my mind from across the interent!

What we used to make fun of in High School (Disco) is now quite entertaining. RIP Donna Summer and Robin Gibb.

VP
Old 28th May 2012
  #131
Lives for gear
Can you imagine? HS wearing that rig I saw at the store and the guy was walking only moving from his knees. I was not laughing I was just speechless, which never happens. It's a weird world.

If someone likes rap, more power to you or should I say bass...
I just do not want to hear it in my universe so I really get pissed having to sit there at a stop light while some asshole blares it out of his car, that is just not cool. My daughter thinks it is sometimes funny to put the channel on rap while I am in the car, I get out or it goes off. Just my personal choice in life, I avoid listening to it, grates on my last nerve.
Old 28th May 2012
  #132
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Can you imagine? HS wearing that rig I saw at the store and the guy was walking only moving from his knees. I was not laughing I was just speechless, which never happens. It's a weird world.

If someone likes rap, more power to you or should I say bass...
I just do not want to hear it in my universe so I really get pissed having to sit there at a stop light while some asshole blares it out of his car, that is just not cool. My daughter thinks it is sometimes funny to put the channel on rap while I am in the car, I get out or it goes off. Just my personal choice in life, I avoid listening to it, grates on my last nerve.
Too bad it is now showing up in TV ads, have you seen the Bud ad? I have to run for the volume.

VP
Old 30th May 2012
  #133
Lives for gear
I just change channels or avoid it whenever it pops up. I know that is a terrible prejudiced manner to behave but I also feel I have the right to model my world to what I wish and I appreciate any good music. As much as I do not play or do country I can still accept a good player and they have a few really good players.

Rap is just never going to sustain for me because it is just not about anyone playing anything to any level of proficiency or musicianship and they will never pull down the vocals from in your face level.

Much less the whole attitude thing, gets to me worse than posers in metal music.

How many times I have a heard what sounds like a decent tune that someone is actually singing, and then here comes the rap bridge and ruins the song.
Did we really need that Jay Z bridge in NY,NY that Alicia Keys was singing?? I know it's billed as his tune, but how does he make so much money again????

I am sure not for everyone but man I cut my teeth on the best music ever created and I mean from Motown, Funk, R&B, right through the mega heavy bands of the 70s. I love great singing, melody, groove, and structure which I am sorry but all things rap does not contain. Some love it, and they have thay right, and I am sure every time Satriani or Jeff Beck pops up in their music paradigm they change the channel as well. Hard to imagine or weigh with any sense of equal opinion but it is a diverse world.

I have to struggle to come to grips that nearly 50% of this country are complete uninformed idiots. Sad but true.

OK I'll shut up and play my guitar, roll up your windows.
Old 31st May 2012
  #134
Lives for gear
 
rkopald's Avatar
My "strat" guitar
I added the wadded up t-shirt on the floor for extra class.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-dscn0239_2.jpg  
Old 31st May 2012
  #135
Eat
Lives for gear
 

Don't really have favorites cuz they all have their own charm and personality, but these are just some I have pics of..








Old 31st May 2012
  #136
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
Don't really have favorites cuz they all have their own charm and personality, but these are just some I have pics of..








Wow, I had an EDS-1275 just like that in the 90's, sold it cause I was broke. I modified the switches, I changed the neck and pickup switch positions and added an additional pickup switch. Loads of sustain with those babies!

VP
Old 31st May 2012
  #137
Gear Nut
 

Nice music mans! Love that Luke model- it's cake to flow on that neck. I really want to pick one of those up at some point.
Old 31st May 2012
  #138
Eat
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Wow, I had an EDS-1275 just like that in the 90's, sold it cause I was broke. I modified the switches, I changed the neck and pickup switch positions and added an additional pickup switch. Loads of sustain with those babies!VP
That sucks that it comes to a choice like that having to let something go because of circumstances.
Yeah, that pickup switch is in an awkward place.... right where my wrist wants to sit



Quote:
Originally Posted by Min7sharp5 View Post
Nice music mans! Love that Luke model- it's cake to flow on that neck. I really want to pick one of those up at some point.
Thanks to you as well!
Old 1st June 2012
  #139
Lives for gear
Anyone up on staining or dying wood bodies?
I am getting ready to make a new body for my kit guitar and I plan to get a little more artsy on the finish than the basic stain I did last time.
Old 2nd June 2012
  #140
Lives for gear
 
Igotsoul4u's Avatar
my favorite(S)

Old 3rd June 2012
  #141
Lives for gear
Anyone feel like I do that having a fullsize HB in the bridge on a Strat is a super option and more versatile? I have one w a dual rail and it puts out the cut but the fullsize HB has a tone in the position that just rules. I feel the same about having a single coil or dual rail in the neck spot. A Strat type guitar w that config is just a touch of heaven for me and the 1st one I reach for when I start to play.
Old 3rd June 2012
  #142
Lives for gear
Does anyone know if cleaning the guitar body w denatured mineral spirits after a first stain or dye sanding will cause the stain or dye to bleed everywhere?
Old 3rd June 2012
  #143
Lives for gear
 
the donal's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Anyone feel like I do that having a fullsize HB in the bridge on a Strat is a super option and more versatile? I have one w a dual rail and it puts out the cut but the fullsize HB has a tone in the position that just rules. I feel the same about having a single coil or dual rail in the neck spot. A Strat type guitar w that config is just a touch of heaven for me and the 1st one I reach for when I start to play.
I'm a sucker for humbucking pickups in general. The Super 3 in my HRR Strat sounds great and it's got a push/pull to make it single coil too. Big, fat and still Strattish. I had the 59 added because I wanted a suitable neck hb too. Kind of the point for me with hot-rodded or super strats.

That said, the Hot Noiseless pickups in my Plus also sound quite fat for single pups, though it's not the same.

I am starting to err towards 2 humbuckers now, without a middle pickup. More for simplicity and picking ease..
Old 3rd June 2012
  #144
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
I'm a sucker for humbucking pickups in general. The Super 3 in my HRR Strat sounds great and it's got a push/pull to make it single coil too. Big, fat and still Strattish. I had the 59 added because I wanted a suitable neck hb too. Kind of the point for me with hot-rodded or super strats.

That said, the Hot Noiseless pickups in my Plus also sound quite fat for single pups, though it's not the same.

I am starting to err towards 2 humbuckers now, without a middle pickup. More for simplicity and picking ease..
I have a Floyd Rose Classic Strat. HSS. I have a Gibson 500T in there with coil tapping and parallel switching. Nice combination.

VP
Old 6th June 2012
  #145
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
I'm a sucker for humbucking pickups in general. The Super 3 in my HRR Strat sounds great and it's got a push/pull to make it single coil too. Big, fat and still Strattish. I had the 59 added because I wanted a suitable neck hb too. Kind of the point for me with hot-rodded or super strats.

That said, the Hot Noiseless pickups in my Plus also sound quite fat for single pups, though it's not the same.

I am starting to err towards 2 humbuckers now, without a middle pickup. More for simplicity and picking ease..
I never got really great clean tones from an HB in the neck. Satriani has recently gone to a 24 fret guitar with a dual rail single coil in the neck. Nothing like that single coil field on neck, depends I guess on the style of music. I sort of like a lot of versatility ability in different tones and I find the Strat w the HB split coil offers everything. My neck HBs on split coil on my LP type guitars never sounded quite as good as the std single coil.
Old 6th June 2012
  #146
Lives for gear
 
the donal's Avatar
The best clean humbucking tone I've got is from the Norton (not Air) in the neck position on my RG550. It sounds great- really strong, lots of attack and tone. Would recommend it with any basswood guitar. Nice for lead playing too.

There's a thing- once I started messing with pickups, I realised how important it is to choose the right one for the wood. I put an Evolution in the bridge of my RG550. Really didn't get on with it over time. Too precise and a little too much top. It probably works a treat in alder (like on the Jem 7VWH), but wouldn't recommend it for basswood.

Eventually- when I can afford it- I'm going to order a guitar from Jaden Rose- mahogany back and maple top. Could be a dilemma for that guitar as for a Super Strat, I'd pretty much go for Tone Zone bridge and Norton neck. I like quite a rounded, singing lead sound and a chunky neck with some bite and harmonics. We'll see (at least 12 months away for that- Les Paul next in the new year!).
Old 8th June 2012
  #147
Lives for gear
I was considering redoing my kit Strat with a better body wood but cannot decide. Probably walnut although I love the beauty of the Koa wood. Not sure they have Basswood. I have several strats, one is all all mahogany neck and body with a maple board, My kit is Alder, maple neck w an Ebony fingerboard (too cool). Another is like a LP mahogany w maple top and ebony board.
I tend to like mahogany myself.

I noticed Satch and Vai like Basswood for their bodies. Pickups are also variant to string gauge, tuning pitch and pickup height. For years and years I had my pickups way too close to the strings. HBs burn and you can get them closer but those single coils, back them off and the tone just happens.
Old 13th June 2012
  #148
Lives for gear
 
Travst's Avatar
'76 LP Custom.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-296990_2438738974911_1444873727_32779889_1028147140_n.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-6185508554_2f576b2435_z.jpg  
Old 21st June 2012
  #149
In the studio with my G&L Legacy Special. Plays like butter. Second only to my main strat.
Old 21st June 2012
  #150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
my favorite(S)

Nice.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump