The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 9th January 2015
Lives for gear

Sold my Fatboy to help my sister out, with what was left i realised that one toy had gone and none replaced it.. fearing a loss in the "boys with toys" rankings I ordered this 2012 LP Standard...

Phenomenal tone, drop dead gorgeous looks and my one and only LP Standard..and looks better in person.

Old 14th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Always wonder why they do not put all those cool switch combinations and options on all guitars these days??
Honestly, because they kind of suck? Take 10 Jazzmaster players and I doubt more than 1 or 2 them actually use the rhythm circuit. I never do.

Last edited by TheTritoneTerror; 14th January 2015 at 07:44 PM..
Old 14th January 2015
Lives for gear
I like the idea of 3 - 3 way switches and want to try that on one of my Strats, and plan to mod my Schecter Hellcat VI for 3X3 and maybe add a middle pickup blender volume. I am pretty happy with the mini-humbuckers on the VI, so being able to mix one HB with one tapped and blend another, sounds like fun.....even more so, on a Strat. I have yet to try a Dan Armstrong 3X3 Strat set up.
I haven't got to try the Dan Armstrong 3X3 Strat set up, but after several decades, I am still curious! Maybe that will be next.

I recently got a Fender FSR Std Ash Tele from MF open box level 2 for $359.99, because the pickguard plastic was gone.(aw) It's got the reversed control plate and 3 brass saddles that are on the money intonation wise. The ash body is really nice looking and the neck has a lot of variations not quite flamed but very cool and I am delighted with this Tele. Now I've got to sell my one month old black Std Tele (MIM) with the plastic still on it's pickguard, but when I saw the FSR deal, I jumped and am really glad I did!

I might do the Brent Mason thing to it. Sigler Music's 920d Custom shop sells the whole thing on sale for $250, but for right now I just want to play it.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-fender-fsr-std-ash-tele-top.jpg  

Last edited by mcintalker; 14th January 2015 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTritoneTerror View Post
Honestly, because they kind of suck? Take 10 Jazzmaster players and I doubt more than 1 or 2 them actually use the rhythm circuit. I never do.
Good to know. I thought that was why many liked those guitars. I never had much use for out of phase or even coil taps never sounded as good as quality single coil.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
Sold my Fatboy to help my sister out, with what was left i realised that one toy had gone and none replaced it.. fearing a loss in the "boys with toys" rankings I ordered this 2012 LP Standard...

Phenomenal tone, drop dead gorgeous looks and my one and only LP Standard..and looks better in person.

Nice, just something cool about an LP. I am old school but for me has to be a Strat type or a Les Paul look, nothing else rings the cow bell for me.
I have always wanted one but they are just too much. I can build my own Strat designs much easier on the budget by outstanding quality. Not the prettiest girls at the bar but tone for days.
Are there still any Les Paul's with an ebony fingerboard?? I cannot seem to find any new ones. I am not a big fan of Rosewood myself. Dig that ebony even on my Strat builds.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

afaik no current prodution models have ebony.. may be a custom shop option, or used obviously..

I hear ya on the design part.. i just dont go for the irregular lookers... simply dont see the point..i have a hardtail and standard strats, and my LP and also a DC..

The DC goes way cheaper than a regular LP and the tone is still there..just "different".. bit lighter, more agile?..(if you can say that..lol), but certainly still a LP type of sound..(pic below)

The only thing that has got me recently has been the G&L fallout.. one of the last designs penned by Fender (the man, not the company). P90 + HB with a body slightly smaller, but thicker than a strat (weighs the same'ish).. so looks classy, sounds different and plays great.. tonally right between strat and LP.

DC

Fallout

Quote:
Nice, just something cool about an LP. I am old school but for me has to be a Strat type or a Les Paul look, nothing else rings the cow bell for me.
I have always wanted one but they are just too much. I can build my own Strat designs much easier on the budget by outstanding quality. Not the prettiest girls at the bar but tone for days.
Are there still any Les Paul's with an ebony fingerboard?? I cannot seem to find any new ones. I am not a big fan of Rosewood myself. Dig that ebony even on my Strat builds.
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear
I just cannot get into other guitar shapes. Cannot deal with the large body jobs. The LP and Strat are just the best looking, cool guitars that appeal to me. Maybe I am narrowly focused but nothing else rings the cow bell for me.
So now I have to get an older one as I dig the ebony board over the rosewood. I've been building my own from good parts, Carvin makes a killer neck with an ebony board, flawless fret work, having an ebony on my Strat beast is just a jewel. I never had a Fender close to how good my Carvins turn out.
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
The LP and Strat are just the best looking, cool guitars that appeal to me. Maybe I am narrowly focused but nothing else rings the cow bell for me.
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Oh, wait that was my cowbell ringing.

Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-sgs.jpg  
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear
Nice Unclenny! Always liked that bass. A buddy/bandmate had one in '69-70? and it was fun to play and sounded good, too.
I am watching/checking out a '61 Historic SG, but have to pay for a really fine Roadshow Taylor GS5 deal, first.

I just saw an ad for a LP Goldtop with P90's, but it's the new thinner one, and I will have to try that out. I played/tried a thin LP Custom, but it looked weird! I'd have to check again
and see if I could live with it.

Michael
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Oh, wait that was my cowbell ringing.

I do like the SG actually, don't they have an ebony board?
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear
I don't think so, but maybe Unclenny's does.....
The Historic '61 doesn't...
Michael
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear
SG

Seems like Iommi's and Angus are ebony but might be the stage lighting.
Hard to tell in some pictures as rosewood can appear dark at times.
Anyone up on the new ones or which if any had ebony?
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do like the SG actually, don't they have an ebony board?
The board on that '71 Deluxe is rosewood. Same for the '69 EB3 in that pic.

Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear
Maybe the Customs had ebony, but it's been too long ago for me to recall, if they did. My last LP Custom was new in Oct '68 and I sold it in '70.

Michael
Old 26th January 2015
Gear Head

G&L ASAT Classic

This is definitely my absolute favorite to play. '98 G&L ASAT Classic with Seymour Duncan Alnico 52 pickups. The maple neck is so smooth and easy to play. It sounds great at work and at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-g-l.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-gtr-rig.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-home-rig.jpg  
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

Wondering what would happen if my Tele and SG had a baby, I picked up my first offset for $200.

Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-img_7582.jpg  
Old 27th January 2015
Gear Nut

This is me at my most recent gig:

Fender Stratocaster HSS. Smooth maple neck. Extremely versatile guitar with the humbuckers and single coils, and I honestly can't see myself moving beyond it. It'll be my central guitar for years to come. A little of my pedal board is in there as well. Crybaby, DD-7, Tube Screamer, Deja Vibe, TR-2, FL-9. Good start.
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakestree View Post
Wondering what would happen if my Tele and SG had a baby, I picked up my first offset for $200.

Cute kid.

Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear
While dropping off my Takamine C132s classical for some "adjustments" like a new saddle slot, saddle, Fishman and nut, to improve the intonation and let me try it out with my Fishman Aura Spectrum, I got to play a nice "seasoned" '64 white SG Jr with a really chunky neck and great P90s. Good timing!

I sold my Blues Hawk in 2008 and am thinking it is time for some P90's again. Hmmm....

Michael
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cute kid.

Thanks! She's somewhat of a problem child, but I'm sure she'll end up making me proud.
Old 20th September 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTritoneTerror View Post
My Jazzmaster. It's a little, uh, loud in the looks department, but it's the best feeling and playing guitar I've tried.

Alright, two years later, I'm changing my answer.

Old 20th September 2016
Lives for gear

Well, just remember, it's not like you won't change your mind again

(happens all the time for us, but that's a nice guitar!)
Old 20th September 2016
Lives for gear
Haven't been back in a while and posted this yesterday on the "cheap guitars that impressed me" thread.
Cheap guitars that you never expected to impress you but they did

They all fall into the "my retired budget" zone, but it makes me very happy to see them in the morning and be able to pick up which ever one suits my mood!
Michael
Old 20th September 2016
Lives for gear

Here's 2 of my faves.

The first one started life as a Sears Silvertone that came as an Amp-in-the-Case kit but has been rather modified. I recut the headstock at an angle so that the string travel is a straight line from nut to tuners. The nut is from a DanElectro who designed the original model for Sears. The tuners are Shallers. The stopped tailpiece is an old Leo Quann "Badass" bridge/tailpiece combo. Awesome tone and sustain. The P/U switch is from a Strat. I replaced the plastic stacked pots controls with a set of matte black knurled metal ones from a Jazz Bass but took this photo before they arrived. They look and work a treat after I altered the pots' shafts to get a good circular orbit.

This one I built entirely from scratch including the ebony fingerboard. The truss rod was crafted from 1/4 inch drill stock. The body and neck are Honduran Mahogany with the body having a layer of 3/4 inch Curly Maple but is chambered a la Jimmy D'Aquisto through tapping while carving. The finish is entirely a hand rubbed modern version of French Polish like a fine violin. The nut is a composite extreme low friction plastic (almost half of that of Delrin) similar to what is used on PRS guitars. The trem is a Schecter non-locking, no fine tuners unit, and almost never goes out of tune even with flapping dive bomb action.

Naturally they feel and sound very different but each has real personality.

EDIT: Oops forgot to mention the homebrew's pickups
Neck - Seymour Duncan Mini-PAF
Middle - Seymour Duncan Tele Bridge 1/4 Pounder (great ":clank" tone)
Bridge - UltraSonic NeoDymium Flat Response

Last edited by enorbet2; 23rd September 2016 at 05:25 PM..
Old 20th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
The first one started life as a Sears Silvertone that came as an Amp-in-the-Case kit but has been rather modified.
Pretty cool to see one of those Danelectro Silvertones in a new life like that. I had a Silvertone in the 60's.
Old 21st September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pretty cool to see one of those Danelectro Silvertones in a new life like that. I had a Silvertone in the 60's.
Thanks. I am very pleased with the outcome. So was my Son... so much so I ended up giving it to him. I rather hated to part with it but it has already served him well. He can't keep his hands of her! and I have a harem.
Old 21st September 2016
My Japanese Tele turned 20 this summer. Unfortunately it does not like to have its picture taken.

Last edited by johnny nowhere; 27th October 2016 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: I knew you'd be surprised....
Old 22nd September 2016
My pair of RG7420's
Old 23rd September 2016
Lives for gear

Stupid question, can you upload photos directly here or do you need a host?
Old 23rd September 2016
My MIK 2007 Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster Spalted Maple with HH pups:

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search