The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 24th May 2014
Here for the gear
I may get laughed out of the thread but I love the old '68/'69 Paisley Telecasters!! I'm planning in the near future to have one built for me (I know absolutely ZILCH about building guitars and, being disabled, I don't trust my hands with a soldering iron when it comes to electronics such as the pickups and things) using the new AllParts Paisley body and kinda have the guitar built around my top four favorite players:

James Burton (the Paisley)
Marty Stuart/Clarence White (the '56 Tele with the original B bender & Keith tuners)
Danny Gatton (Joe Barden Pickups)
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear
@ Tony Trout Those are 3 of my favorite players in that arena, if you throw in Albert Lee! and you have to have a Tele to do any of their stuff justice! I need one! LOL
I was even looking at the FSR Standard Ash Tele this morning, thinking I could get one of those...........

Michael

ps I bailed on Linseed Oil after 40 years of using it exclusively. Now I am using bore oil which does not harden the fingerboard. It dawned on me that bore oil ( for pro clarinets which are ebony) keeps the fingerboard "more supple" which is better for keeping the frets seated well.
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
@ Tony Trout Those are 3 of my favorite players in that arena, if you throw in Albert Lee! and you have to have a Tele to do any of their stuff justice! I need one! LOL
I was even looking at the FSR Standard Ash Tele this morning, thinking I could get one of those...........

Michael

ps I bailed on Linseed Oil after 40 years of using it exclusively. Now I am using bore oil which does not harden the fingerboard.
The Music Man Albert Lee is my favorite guitar. They won't make it left handed though so I have a Silhouette Special in Orange Firemist. Not my axe but this color. HSS config with black pick guard. Would probably trade it for a Dargie Delight though. I'm content with it that I don't need any other electrics... dig a Tele though. Just want to get a nice acoustic and I'll be happy. Probably a GS Mini in Hog I'm thinking.

Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear
I am really leaning toward an American Deluxe Tele. It reminds me of the original Tele Custom ( not the humbucker one) with double binding, but with more modern touches, that I prefer.

and then of course, you gotta have a basic butterscotch/blackguard maple neck one. I think there is a law about that! LOL

Michael

ps the Silouette is nice. I like the Axis, but wish it had a wider nut. Haven't got to try an Albert Lee model.
Old 25th May 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
@darkhorse Hey, did you make that pickguard? I was thinking of one for my Schecter Hellcat VI (which Schecter does NOT sell any parts, by the way. Unless someone knows someone......)

Nice guitars! That '56 goldtop replica is very cool....... and I'd love to get a Carvin.

Michael
That is actually a Gold anodized aluminum pickguard that comes with that Seymour Duncan prewired package. When I saw that it sold me.
That guitar actually looks better than my pics are coming across, crappy camera. Carvin wood parts are raw, you have to finish them out yourself. Although I am sure you could pay them to do it. Most fun I have had is building that guitar, been through several operations just added a new neck.
Very cool set for the Strat a lot of tone options to be sure. I like the neck/bridge woody LesPaul sound so I swapped mine to get it. The HBs are quite powerful and easily takes a Strat into uber gain as well as toning back into more traditional Strat chime. Also completely noiseless and the bridge has a push/pull circuit that puts the coils in series on the bridge instead of humbuckler mode. I had to move the volume control just was driving me batty having no space to rest my hand on the bridge or put my fingers between the bridge and control.

I use either Carvin customs made to my choices and options from the factory or I enjoy building my own kits out of Carvin parts. Been using nothing but Carvin guitars for like 15 years. Outstanding quality and workmanship for very low costs. The necks Carvin makes are extraordinary, precise and they offer various fret sizes and stainless as an option. I love the diamond Abalone inlays on that with the Ebony fingerboard on a Strat, just too cool.
Carvin, by selling direct from their factory without using Vendors and 3rd party sales saves you a bunch. I dig their stuff very much.
Old 25th May 2014
Here for the gear
Quote:

Michael

ps I bailed on Linseed Oil after 40 years of using it exclusively. Now I am using bore oil which does not harden the fingerboard. It dawned on me that bore oil ( for pro clarinets which are ebony) keeps the fingerboard "more supple" which is better for keeping the frets seated well.
Michael,

Ironically, I'm not a big AL fan at all. It either could be the MM guitar itself, the same effect, or whatever but....he's just never been one of my favorites.

James Burton is a natural for me because I'm a big Elvis and Ricky Nelson fan. I used to have a '96 RI Paisley Tele that had a B/G bender and Scruggs (Schaller) tuners and Barden pickups but...I stupidly sold it earlier this year and now the guitar is in Sweden in The Guitar Museum. To say I'm unhappy is an understatement.

Here's a link to my Paisley when it was having the benders installed:

My Former '96 RI Paisley Tele Before/During/After Having B/G Benders Installed
Old 25th May 2014
Lives for gear
Wow! That is an excellent set of pics on what/how, etc a "bender" is/does!
Thanks for sharing that and good luck getting your next one! I'd love to mess with one, though I keep googling pedal steels and the Duesenberg Pomona and Fairy Tale multibender lap steels. I know I'll get something in that ballpark, soon.

I discovered Albert Lee when I bought the first Heads, Hands and Feet LP (?'70 or '71)and loved his playing (guitar and piano). Then he showed up on Jackson Browne's first LP ('72?) and I started paying attention for him. I got to talk to him a couple times, back in the '70s and '80s, but mostly his work with Emmylou Harris kept my interest in that style.
James Burton was a very early hero, since I got to watch him with Ricky Nelson each week. Danny Gatton, well I listen to him a lot! Marty is lots of fun, too! An acquaintance, Brian Nolf, used to play with him, so that kept MS in my "attention periscope"! LOL

Who is the 4th fave?

Michael
ps I don't particularly like the AL models, but it still great to see/hear him play, like in the Concert for George and YouTubes with Vince Gill.
Old 25th May 2014
Here for the gear
Quote:
Wow! That is an excellent set of pics on what/how, etc a "bender" is/does!
Thanks for sharing that and good luck getting your next one! I'd love to mess with one, though I keep googling pedal steels and the Duesenberg Pomona and Fairy Tale multibender lap steels. I know I'll get something in that ballpark, soon.

I discovered Albert Lee when I bought the first Heads, Hands and Feet LP (?'70 or '71)and loved his playing (guitar and piano). Then he showed up on Jackson Browne's first LP ('72?) and I started paying attention for him. I got to talk to him a couple times, back in the '70s and '80s, but mostly his work with Emmylou Harris kept my interest in that style.
James Burton was a very early hero, since I got to watch him with Ricky Nelson each week. Danny Gatton, well I listen to him a lot! Marty is lots of fun, too! An acquaintance, Brian Nolf, used to play with him, so that kept MS in my "attention periscope"! LOL

Who is the 4th fave?

Michael
ps I don't particularly like the AL models, but it still great to see/hear him play, like in the Concert for George and YouTubes with Vince Gill.

Michael,

I loved using the B/G bender setup. It made my playing more "easy", if that makes any sense. I actually would use the benders too much sometimes because I would "cheat" and do a bend with either the B or G bender that could easily be done using my fingers.

My fourth favorite would be Clarence White - which I listed along with Marty since Marty now owns "Clarence", the guitar that used to belong to Clarence White. I've always loved Marty's work ever since the first CD, "Hillbilly Rock" and I was blessed to be in a band that opened two shows for him on July 17, 2008 in Hiawassee, GA at the Anderson Music Hall. I also was fortunate enough to play "Clarence" and get my picture taken with the guitar. It was a dream come true for me!! Please pay no attention to my appearance in the picture where I'm holding "Clarence" to my chest. I was going through some pretty rough health issues during that time.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-207_26318579244_3660_n.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-207_26318574244_2984_n.jpg  
Old 25th May 2014
Lives for gear
Of course! I was always a big fan of Clarence White and still watch YouTubes of him. I got to see him with the Byrds, in Rochester NY, which had to be fall of '70. He played on Jackson Browne's first LP, too; Jamaica, say you will.

I used to come down to Georgia, (Marietta, then later Rome) to visit and play with Scott Thompson (of Peach Tree Station), every year, until 2004. I would stay for a couple weeks and he booked duo and band gigs so we could play together. We met in Vail CO in '92 where I was gigging/living. I taught him to play guitar and encouraged him to get up onstage with me or my bands. He has done very well, with music and is writing in Nashville with lots of folks.

Ya gotta love Marty, he is just so enthused about music, the players and the history of it all. He makes me smile/laugh, just because of his exuberance.

Glad to hear your health good now. Great pics to have!
Michael
Old 26th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordtogether View Post
Pre-CBS Fender Jaguar, candy apple red w/ matching headstock

Got the bass version of this, matching headstock in all....love it!
Old 7th June 2014
Lives for gear

Thinking of selling it for an Axis Super Sport

Old 8th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
Michael,

Ironically, I'm not a big AL fan at all. It either could be the MM guitar itself, the same effect, or whatever but....he's just never been one of my favorites.

James Burton is a natural for me because I'm a big Elvis and Ricky Nelson fan. I used to have a '96 RI Paisley Tele that had a B/G bender and Scruggs (Schaller) tuners and Barden pickups but...I stupidly sold it earlier this year and now the guitar is in Sweden in The Guitar Museum. To say I'm unhappy is an understatement.

Here's a link to my Paisley when it was having the benders installed:

My Former '96 RI Paisley Tele Before/During/After Having B/G Benders Installed
I do not do the country thing, nor do I have any real notion on how the style is done, but, the B string bender, wow, what a marvelous thing. My first experience in seeing and hearing one was Jimmy Page's tobbaco TEL, amazing technique. Doubt I will ever have a guitar with one but man what a major coolness. I am not a TEL guy but would love to have that B bender in one.
Old 8th June 2014
Lives for gear
I would love to explore the bender world and keep looking at the Duesenberg Pomona, pedal steels and B-bender Tele's. I haven't owned a pedal steel since 1970 and though I got to borrow one, twice for several months each time (while my guitar student/the owner was in Japan), it still interests me.

I do wonder if I could get used to a double bender Tele?! It seems like it would be trying to play while doing yoga or twister! LOL The Gibson LP Jr with the switchable B or G bender seems a fair solution, but I haven't seen one yet.

I play my lap steel (a Gibson BR-4) daily and think the Pomona wouldn't be much to learn, but imagine the pedal steel is really what I'm after. So, a single neck'd E9 is "in my future".

Michael
Old 9th June 2014
Lives for gear

Just got this one setup and am digging it. Not as much as my '60 Standard but fun for a change

Old 9th June 2014
Here for the gear

Need help

Off topic I know, So I apologize, Just haven't figured out how to post a new thread lol. Anyways, My favorite acoustic, I am going to install a LR Baggs Lyric, Before I play at the Bluebird Cafe(Nashville) Next week, Couldn't get a appointment with a luthier, Should I hand ream, Or ream with a Irwin Reaming Bit with a power drill? Thanks.
Old 9th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
I would love to explore the bender world and keep looking at the Duesenberg Pomona, pedal steels and B-bender Tele's. I haven't owned a pedal steel since 1970 and though I got to borrow one, twice for several months each time (while my guitar student/the owner was in Japan), it still interests me.

I do wonder if I could get used to a double bender Tele?! It seems like it would be trying to play while doing yoga or twister! LOL The Gibson LP Jr with the switchable B or G bender seems a fair solution, but I haven't seen one yet.

I play my lap steel (a Gibson BR-4) daily and think the Pomona wouldn't be much to learn, but imagine the pedal steel is really what I'm after. So, a single neck'd E9 is "in my future".

Michael
I actually owe Jimmy Page a debt for developing my bending style and technique because I was mimicking his use of the White/Parsons B Bender on several Zep tunes. Can't thank him enough for that as a long time ago I had never heard of that device so I thought that was just how he bent strings. Now I have a very cool steel guitar type bend that dare I say is unique to my playing.
Old 9th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredking15 View Post
Off topic I know, So I apologize, Just haven't figured out how to post a new thread lol. Anyways, My favorite acoustic, I am going to install a LR Baggs Lyric, Before I play at the Bluebird Cafe(Nashville) Next week, Couldn't get a appointment with a luthier, Should I hand ream, Or ream with a Irwin Reaming Bit with a power drill? Thanks.
Button upper left I think on any forum to make a new thread.
I have no idea on your question you are out of my segment of the forest.
I do know if it is something I am not sure of doing I would rather wait till I have an experienced person rather than risk really screwing up one of my guitars. Like fret work, no way I am touching that sort of thing. Body routing, oh hell no.
Old 9th June 2014
Lives for gear
I went to this Greg Koch video/demo of a Gibson Music City Jr with the Glazer bender (switchable from B to G strings by the way), and he quotes several Jimmy Page Zepplin licks in it. (@ 2 and 4 minutes)
Gibson Music City Jr.with B-Bender Overview - YouTube

He is always fun to watch!

@ jaredking I'd think starting your own thread might quickly lead you to a solution. There must be someone in Nashville that can do what you need in time and do it well.
Michael
Old 9th June 2014
Lives for gear

I have a Music City Junior - very cool guitar!
Old 10th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
I went to this Greg Koch video/demo of a Gibson Music City Jr with the Glazer bender (switchable from B to G strings by the way), and he quotes several Jimmy Page Zepplin licks in it. (@ 2 and 4 minutes)
Gibson Music City Jr.with B-Bender Overview - YouTube

Michael
Here's a rare live Ten Years Gone with the TEL bender. Such a cool tone having that steel guitar thing on a std guitar. Glad I learned to mimic that sharp bend/slow release technique sort of makes my playing different. It is so cool how you can do the bender within a chord that is such a unique sound. I try and reach behind the string nut and press a bend.

Led Zeppelin- Ten Years Gone (1979) Live at Knebworth - YouTube
Old 10th June 2014
Lives for gear
I studied those kind "pedal steel" bends, too, especially after lugging my Fender 2000 around in '69-70! LOL I loved the sound and played lots of country-ish gigs, so it fit in with my bottleneck and lap steel stuff. Still do a lot of it....
I am pretty sure Page had a pedal steel, too. What's the song with steel in the fade out that is 100% reverb send?
(Over The Hills And Far Away)
I recall seeing a video of Clapton playing pedal steel around the time of
Tears In Heaven or My Father's Eyes, too. Justin Hayward(Moody Blues) used one on I Love You.

I wrote an acoustic tune ca '69 that had a behind the nut bend on the 2nd string F# harmonic. After that I got good at a double bend with my '69 Riviera behind the bridge, that pulled the 2nd and 3rd up a half step and whole step respectively. That long Frequensator tailpiece helped! I think Amos Garrett played a semi-hollow for Midnight at the Oasis. I loved that solo of his.
.....and then Skunk Baxter's Steely Dan stuff ! East Town Toodle OOO! and Sneaky Pete on Jackson Browne's 1st LP was so tasty. All these were big influences for me, plus all the great pedal steel guys.
Michael
Old 10th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretless View Post

I added Luminlay side dots on this one too

Just saw this....holy cow that looks great!
Old 10th June 2014
Lives for gear

Very cool ^^
Old 10th June 2014
G&L SC-2
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-3349_75754133870_4908967_n.jpg  
Old 10th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Always have been fond of that one, brother.......

Can't resist a guitar pic thread.

Unclenny with the EB-3. Nice bro.
Old 10th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
Just got this one setup and am digging it. Not as much as my '60 Standard but fun for a change

LOve me some P90s.
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclerico12 View Post
Just saw this....holy cow that looks great!
I envy the ability to do that and is so cool I would probably play in the dark more.
If I manage to put together a kit guitar with a reasonable finish I am very happy.
I did a great Carvin parts Strat recently and I just love that thing. You get a real connection with the guitar when you make it. Must be a joy to be able to do such quality wood working much less they light up?? Blinded me w science.
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear
Ditto! darkhorse

and as I plot what to change on my '80 red parts strat (EMGs Trem Setter), like a compound radius neck, Super Vee Blade Runner or maybe a Trem King, and pickups (?Area Strats? maybe.....)

I know it will feel like a brand new guitar AGAIN, after playing it for 34 years. Every time I changed the neck or pickups or added the TremSetter, Graph Tek saddles or when I stripped it and had it dyed with cherry stain, it felt like a brand new guitar! I like that feeling and the sense of renewing it.

@Very Cool Noah! You have so many great guitars! Wow.

@ fretless Thanks for that! I want to add side dots to my Takamine C132s classical and that reminded me. Maybe I can do my own! I don't need the glow in the dark ones, but they are very cool!

Michael
Old 12th June 2014
Lives for gear
I just redid the neck on mine and modified my gold pickguard Seymour Duncan Everything Axe set I also just added. Love that guitar. I use Carvin parts as they are priced very good and you can upgrade to whatever you like.
I cannot do their amazing finishes but staying with a natural wood look I do OK with my Red Walnut Danish stain and Tung Oil.
I think next round I am going for the Koa body.
This recent neck I put on has the better Stainless frets slightly larger, Ebony board, and small diamond abalone inlays. Sperzel locking tuners.
Carvin makes amazing necks that feel perfect to my hands. With my various upgrades probably cost me about $850 but plays and sounds better than any stock Fender for more money.
Plus having an ebony board on a Strat is so cool I can hardly stand it.
Old 12th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
Unclenny with the EB-3. Nice bro.
Ah, yes......and she looks so sexy now with her new black tape wounds.

Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-pb220006.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search