The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 8th March 2014
  #751
Lives for gear
Wow in the hell do you even do inlay? The tools involved seem over my head.
I am sort of digging the more nature open tung oil finish to the thick poly varnish.
But man some pretty finishes going on. Must be nice to have the skill and shop to render such works.
Old 8th March 2014
  #752
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

From what I've seen in his build demos, it's a pretty nice shop he's working with.

They kind of remind me of the guitar equivalent of a decked out,
custom chopper.
Old 8th March 2014
  #753
Gear Maniac
 
Amroth's Avatar
Synmike that custom tele is badass! Also those Rushmore guitars look very well made!

Here is my Epiphone Les Paul Baritone. Previous owner modded the guitar into BucketHead spec. I think it was tastefully done so I haven't done anything except add the strap

Old 9th March 2014
  #754
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

Well, John got the inlay work finished.

I told him I would prefer a more understated pick guard, feeling the maple pick guard with the sideways grain takes away from the rest of the guitar.

Old 9th March 2014
  #755
Lives for gear
 

Has anybody ever played a Campbell? I've eyed them for a while but never touched one.

Old 9th March 2014
  #756
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

Cool configuration Tele Bridge with a P-90

Probably sounds killer Capo'd at the 4th & 7th for Keefer stuff.

The neck and quality of the wood is probably the most important.
Old 9th March 2014
  #757
This is now my current favorite



Honduran mahogany
Eastern maple cap
Ebony fretboard
Throbak 55/56 MXV P90 pickups

One of a kind and fun to play, sounds awesome
Old 11th March 2014
  #758
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Well, John got the inlay work finished.

I told him I would prefer a more understated pick guard, feeling the maple pick guard with the sideways grain takes away from the rest of the guitar.

Bloody amazing is what that is.
How that is done is over my head for sure. That inlay is something else. Must take a lot of time much less I have no idea how you piece or cut the patterns to fit.
How about small Thor's hammers as fret markers, that would be rather unique as well. I would dig on that.
Old 11th March 2014
  #759
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

I'm pretty sure they are using a laser for the inlay cuts.

The shop is near Annapolis so there's also a lot of inlay material available.
Old 11th March 2014
  #760
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
I'm pretty sure they are using a laser for the inlay cuts.

The shop is near Annapolis so there's also a lot of inlay material available.
makes it sound simple, somehow I am thinking I could not do it
Old 13th March 2014
  #761
Here for the gear
 

If I were allowed to post images I'd have shown our amazing Les Paul inventory Though there are so many beauties it was hard to choose.
Old 13th March 2014
  #762
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergstenMusic View Post
If I were allowed to post images I'd have shown our amazing Les Paul inventory Though there are so many beauties it was hard to choose.
Copy paste the link and then with no spaces put [img] in front and [/img] after the link immediately following the .jpg or .gif or .tiff..

Upload your images to flicker, image shack, tinypixs whatever and they
will give you the link to post.

Any image you see online should show the direct link with control right click.
Old 13th March 2014
  #763
Lives for gear
Why are you not able to post pictures, do you have a user CP area?

Create an album to put the pictures in, uploaded from your PC.
Have a heart to resize/compress size to webpage or email size before uploading into your Cp folder.
Edit the picture after it comes in, get the top line URL and paste that in the YELLOW BUTTON image insert window. Presto pictures.
Any URL sourced picture should post by pasting it in the YELLOW BUTTON window which just puts the html img command brackets.

I would love to see some of these puppies, outstanding workmanship.
Old 14th March 2014
  #764
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
I heard that someone is giving away one of his favorite guitars on the Free Stuff Thread.

Old 15th March 2014
  #765
Lives for gear
 
Theo Stobbe's Avatar
 

Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-fat.jpg  
Old 16th March 2014
  #766
Lives for gear
Personally I love the Carvin customs. Since I started using Carvin like 15 or so years ago I have no desire to play anything else. I had like 6 at one time now I have 3 and I tend to mix pickups at times for changes but not a thing wrong with Carvin pickups. I was digging on the Dimarzio Area '58 and I ruined one putting in in one of my Strats, coil wire came off and have no idea how to fix it. I could have put in a spare Carvin dual rail which I love for the bridge but too hot for the neck and mod for me. I put in a spare Carvin AP11 which I had been trying out the Dimarzio for one thing the Area's are so quiet. I was struck by the tone of the AP11 when I put one back in. Stronger and more voiced than the Area, brighter and just sounded more Stratty. AP11's can be noisy puppies but I have learned to shield and what causes it. But anyway I have used a range of Carvin HBs as well and they are great sounding, I love the extra mag poles which cover the string bends. They make a great guitar and their necks are outstanding. Having an ebony board on my kit Strat is just way too cool.
Old 16th March 2014
  #767
Lives for gear
 
Theo Stobbe's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Personally I love the Carvin customs. Since I started using Carvin like 15 or so years ago I have no desire to play anything else. I had like 6 at one time now I have 3 and I tend to mix pickups at times for changes but not a thing wrong with Carvin pickups. I was digging on the Dimarzio Area '58 and I ruined one putting in in one of my Strats, coil wire came off and have no idea how to fix it. I could have put in a spare Carvin dual rail which I love for the bridge but too hot for the neck and mod for me. I put in a spare Carvin AP11 which I had been trying out the Dimarzio for one thing the Area's are so quiet. I was struck by the tone of the AP11 when I put one back in. Stronger and more voiced than the Area, brighter and just sounded more Stratty. AP11's can be noisy puppies but I have learned to shield and what causes it. But anyway I have used a range of Carvin HBs as well and they are great sounding, I love the extra mag poles which cover the string bends. They make a great guitar and their necks are outstanding. Having an ebony board on my kit Strat is just way too cool.
Nice darkhorse, I like your stuff .
Old 17th March 2014
  #768
Lives for gear
 

It's not much but I'm content. My guitar points the wrong way though

Old 17th March 2014
  #769
Lives for gear
 

[IMG][/IMG]

'71 stratocaster that I bought around '76. Recently refretted, and rewired with a needlessly complicated switching system of my own design.
Old 17th March 2014
  #770
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo S View Post
Nice darkhorse, I like your stuff .

Thanks man. Everyone has something they are into, sports, golf, fishing, etc. I have always been grateful for my music guitar obsession. Playing music is a special thing.
Old 17th March 2014
  #771
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
It's not much but I'm content. My guitar points the wrong way though

As long as it rings the cow bell that is what matters. I'd be the last one to suggest one needs to spend a bunch on a guitar, some are so not worth the money. As long as the action and intonation are good and the tone does the deal that is what counts.
Old 20th March 2014
  #772
Lives for gear
 
ONDRAY's Avatar
I'm on the market for a new electric, so this thread has been very inspirational.. i'm thinking tele so far, been playing with one at the store for awhile and I keep going back to this same one. awesome.
Old 20th March 2014
  #773
Lives for gear
 
noah330's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergstenMusic View Post
If I were allowed to post images I'd have shown our amazing Les Paul inventory Though there are so many beauties it was hard to choose.
This thread is about one's favorite guitar. I think the Music Store posting inventory thread is somewhere else.
Old 21st March 2014
  #774
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONDRAY View Post
I'm on the market for a new electric, so this thread has been very inspirational.. i'm thinking tele so far, been playing with one at the store for awhile and I keep going back to this same one. awesome.
Whatever speaks to you is your guitar whatever one makes you want to play is all that matters. Never buy one because someone else likes it. I absolutely revere Page but a Les Paul scale and feel does not work for me as well as my Strats plus I dearly love the tones from single coils. Building your own from the many part kits available can be really cool.
Old 26th March 2014
  #775
Lives for gear
 
GeminIAm's Avatar
Just picked up this. It's a mid 80s Hohner the Jack with passive EMGs. It plays like an absolute dream!
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-20140326_161536.jpg  
Old 31st March 2014
  #776
Lives for gear
 
deng's Avatar
NGD (Current fav) Gibson Les Paul Traditional Classic Ebony

Old 24th May 2014
  #777
Lives for gear




My most recent Carvin parts rendering. Very cool ebony board on a Strat, diamond abalone inlays. I made some mods on the Seymour Duncan Everything Axe assembly.
I tried rigging up a neck on bypass switch like I normally do but it would not work with the wiring set up on the system, caused some weird interaction issues so had to remove it.
I switched the neck and mid pickups so I could get the bridge/neck tone I like.
I also moved the volume control as it is just too close to the bridge on that system. I could not rest my hand on the bridge or my fingers at the side of the bridge, just was no space. Now it is perfect and I can get my neck/bridge tone.
Old 24th May 2014
  #778
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Posse View Post
This is now my current favorite



Honduran mahogany
Eastern maple cap
Ebony fretboard
Throbak 55/56 MXV P90 pickups

One of a kind and fun to play, sounds awesome
+1.000.000

now that is the guitar I need to play once more before I die. (my other favorite I own already ... so ...) I played such a thing some times, so I know what this is all about. great for you to have such a wonderful thing! :-))
Old 24th May 2014
  #779
Lives for gear
@darkhorse Hey, did you make that pickguard? I was thinking of one for my Schecter Hellcat VI (which Schecter does NOT sell any parts, by the way. Unless someone knows someone......)

Nice guitars! That '56 goldtop replica is very cool....... and I'd love to get a Carvin.

Michael
Old 24th May 2014
  #780
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
It's a puzzling mess, thanks for the experienced input, always the best kind.
If you think there is a wide polemic discourse on pedals, man this subject was one article after another yes, no, use this, never use this.

I am noticing quite a bit of nod for using Mineral Oil which does not build up. They also say be sure to wipe off the Linseed to prevent a varnish type buildup.
Others say do nothing they say wood does not need treated that is merely our innate sense of cleaning and making shiny pretty. General consensus is wipe off excess. Do not use lemon oil product and never polish the fingerboard, big oopps on that one for me. As I have at times when polishing the guitar got the fret board as well. Makers should have a little effort to tell users hey do not do this or you can do this. I started getting into Ebony boards on my Strats and I just love the things. Just want to make sure I am helping longevity not hurting it.
My oldest guitar has an ebony fret board that I've never oiled. I've always thought the wood absorbs oil and moisture from my hands. Forty years and no cracks.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump