The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 8th February 2014
Lives for gear
Yeah, ditto for me! Fun track, especially the ending. The drums also sound excellent. Are they live drums or ?

The bass has a great growl going on, by mid track!

Michael
Old 8th February 2014
Gear Addict

Thanks man ! The drums were done with a ez expansion , think it was blues , controlled through ez player triggering SSD ex Zep kit . All drag and drop and pretty easy to work with . It's character was there but bumped up a little with a UAD Fairchild and Neve . The bass was direct and that is the beauty of the Demeter VTMP-2 , as you dig in it does that growly thing . Love that pre !
Old 8th February 2014
Lives for gear
Thanks for the info. It does sound good!

I just came back from my local shop and now am wondering if I should sell my Zone and buy this Select P. I have been thinking of modding the Zone, since I do really like the neck and body size.

Hmmmmmm

Michael
Old 9th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax Lepinski View Post
Thanks Unclenny!
It's in desperate need of a new nut and a fret filing. I've been playing it with small pieces of paper under each string (at the nut) for at least 10 years!!!
You can see the paper in the bottom photo. Ha! I'm a lazy bastard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by allphourus View Post
You can fill in an over sized nut slot with some crazy glue, go at it slowly one drop, let it harden then another as needed, works fine for me to tighten up slots that are to deep or a bit sloppy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax Lepinski View Post
What a great idea Allphourus!!! I'll have to give it a go tomorrow
Cheers!!!
Here's an awesome vid on the subject:
Old 9th February 2014
Gear Head

Pre-CBS Fender Jaguar, candy apple red w/ matching headstock

Old 10th February 2014
Gear Guru

That's a schweet Jaguar!
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

Need to get a whole guitar shot to show the awesome matching headstock but this is my current favorite:

Suhr Standard w/Mahogany body and neck, Pau Ferro Fretboard, burl maple top (and matching headstock) stainless steel frets and SSH configuration.

Think I'll go play it right now!
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-suhr-standard1.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-suhr-standard2.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-suhr-standard3.jpg  
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

Here's my second favorite guitar: Suhr Classic, Alder with Roasted maple neck (SS frets again, love Suhrs necks!).

Old 11th February 2014
Lives for gear
Do any of you guys using Ebony necks need to treat or condition it once in a blue moon to prevent dry out? I have heard of using just about all sorts of oils and whatnot and just as many others saying not to use the same.
A bit confusing. Seems like some sort of oil would be good for the board for drying issues.
Some say Lindseed, Mineral, puzzling issue. Much less I am working on my own finish project dye and tung oil seal and man does the advice and procedures swing from N to S. I hope I do not screw up my new build I cannot do the fancy factory stuff more wood looking finishes. I want like a red water dye sand back for red grains, next with a black, and tung oil seal which they say works as long as the dyes are water based. I am wondering if I need to probably do a black grain stain with the red after as the red grains just might darken out more black.
Anyway man is it confusing trying to figure this stuff out. Wish I had some practice blocks but the wood is costly.
Old 11th February 2014
Lives for gear
@darkhorse

I've been using linseed oil for almost all of the 50+ years that I've dressed my necks. I always clean the fingerboard and polish the frets, when I change strings. It has become a ritual. LOL ....and I suppose has me wanting fewer guitars than I used to try to maintain! LOL
My excellent local (Traverse City MI) repairman, Dan Kelchak (Dan Erlewine of StewMac, uses several of Dan's ideas)recommends/swears by bore oil, which is what is used on quality clarinets -ebony bodied ones. That makes sense to me.

I haven't gotten any yet and will try it. My last quart of linseed oil lasted for almost 30 years! I have had as many as 34 guitars at a time (and only 2 maple fingerboards over the past 5 decades). It supposedly stains trim, but I haven't noticed any, yet.

Hope that gives you a path, to research.
Michael

Last edited by mcintalker; 11th February 2014 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 11th February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
@darkhorse

I've been using linseed oil for almost all of the 50+ years that I've dressed my necks. I always clean the fingerboard and polish the frets, when I change strings. It has become a ritual. LOL ....and I suppose has me wanting fewer guitars than I used to try to maintain! LOL
My excellent local (Traverse City MI) repairman, Dan Kelchak (Dan Erlewine of StewMac, uses several of Dan's ideas)recommends/swears by bore oil, which is what is used on quality clarinets -ebony bodied ones. That makes sense to me.

I haven't gotten any yet and will try it. My last quart of linseed oil lasted for almost 30 years! I have had as many as 34 guitars at a time (and only 2 maple fingerboards over the past 5 decades). It supposedly stains trim, but I haven't noticed any, yet.

Hope that gives you a path, to research.
Michael
It's a puzzling mess, thanks for the experienced input, always the best kind.
If you think there is a wide polemic discourse on pedals, man this subject was one article after another yes, no, use this, never use this.

I am noticing quite a bit of nod for using Mineral Oil which does not build up. They also say be sure to wipe off the Linseed to prevent a varnish type buildup.
Others say do nothing they say wood does not need treated that is merely our innate sense of cleaning and making shiny pretty. General consensus is wipe off excess. Do not use lemon oil product and never polish the fingerboard, big oopps on that one for me. As I have at times when polishing the guitar got the fret board as well. Makers should have a little effort to tell users hey do not do this or you can do this. I started getting into Ebony boards on my Strats and I just love the things. Just want to make sure I am helping longevity not hurting it.
Old 11th February 2014
Lives for gear
Sorry should have included that bit. I do wipe off the excess. I wipe it on with a paper towel and let it sit a couple minutes, then I use 0000 steel wool to polish the frets. Also, masking tape works great to keep that steel wool dust, off the pickups and never use a magnet near the pickups as you can demagnetize them which will change how they sound. A screw driver will "cling" the steel wool, but I prefer to avoid it getting on the pickups.

I clean the fingerboard because the strings seem (I am convinced)to last longer, without the oil/dead skin. I am not pushing the strings into dirt, basically. I certainly prefer to play clean necks! I am lucky to have the body chemistry that leaves my strings "new" longer than most of my friends, bandmates, and students (aver. 35 per week for 47 years). I used to hate to have my college roommate touch my guitars!

Though it is gone (lost to Chap7 3 years ago), I treated my Guild F50 (ebony fingerboard and lots of binding) with linseed oil for 40 years, with no cracks nor stain to the binding. My red parts-strat (built in 1980) and my Takamine classical have been treated, too, for 30+ years. I'd say it's safe.

Michael
Old 11th February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sorry should have included that bit. I do wipe off the excess. I wipe it on with a paper towel and let it sit a couple minutes, then I use 0000 steel wool to polish the frets. Also, masking tape works great to keep that steel wool dust, off the pickups and never use a magnet near the pickups as you can demagnetize them which will change how they sound. A screw driver will "cling" the steel wool, but I prefer to avoid it getting on the pickups.

I clean the fingerboard because the strings seem (I am convinced) last longer without the oil/dead skin. I am not pushing the strings into dirt, basically.

Though it is gone (lost to Chap7 3 years ago), I treated my Guild F50 (ebony fingerboard and lots of binding) with linseed oil for 40 years, with no cracks nor stain to the binding. My red parts-strat (built in 1980) and my Takamine classical have been treated, too, for 30+ years. I'd say it's safe.

Michael
solid good advice
That steel wool thing actually fixed my last kit I built. My Danish Oil had left a bit sticky feel on the neck back and that wool made it smooth as ice. Good point about the magnets in the pickups, cover those puppies up.
Old 13th February 2014
Gear Maniac

...and here it is with my 2nd favorite:

Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear
Man I dig that translucent black. I want that sort of effect on my new build but I cannot do the factory level thing. I have a flamed top Carvin on translucent black with gold hardware and man is that one beautiful guitar. Need to find someone I can trust to do a little fret dressing for me as w age I have some worn spots on the 3rd string. Seems like my switch to stainless frets on later builds holds up a lot better. I am trying to get a figured red grain through a black on my new build but I am thinking I might have to reverse that due to the effect of dyes, so much fun working on your own guitar. I seem to have an attachment and feel on those the custom shop ones do not have. Not as pretty but man they play well and drip tone. Just got my new raw neck in, rock maple for stability and an ebony fingerboard with small diamond abalone markers. I so much love having an ebony neck on my Strats, normally I like the blond maple but that ebony is special.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Current Favourites
Midtown Custom or Custom ES 339 thru a Rivera Jazz Suprema 55

Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Ain't nothing like the real thing

Old 22nd February 2014
Gear Guru

I wouldn't use steel wool on an assembled guitar.

Sure taping off the pickup works, but steel wool dust also gets stuck on the edges
of the frets and other nooks and crannies.

I would use 400 then 600 wet or dry paper after each coat is totally dry.
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear
FFTT
I was talking about dressing the fingerboard and frets ONLY.

Michael
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear
my latest Strat build

I've gotten into making my own guitars out of parts the last few years and it really is a hoot to be that connected to your guitar. This is my latest project using Carvin Parts which remain my fav source.
Crappy camera w low batteries but you get the idea...

This was raw unfinished maple, with the marvelous ebony fingerboard, stainless frets and diamond abalone inlays that of course remained covered during the long process. Ebony stain on edges and full headstock, red walnut danish oil blended to center.

Wanted a new Walnut body but had to use my old one, stripped and redone, wood was too used to get the nice coloring like the neck did, looks more Walnut with black grains, coats of pure tung oil on each for seal, long drying process. Used hand rubbed finish wax really open breathable finish, something cool about how that sounds over the more thick poly finishes.
Seymour Duncan Everything Axe set prewired gold pickguard assembly. Added neck pickup bypass on switch for neck and bridge combination (or all three). Gets that cool Les Paul mid position but also the Stratness cool.

Not the prettiest horse in the race but my part guitars have such tone and playability. A lot of work on the setup, getting the neck shim tilt string and intonation as good as it gets. The ebony fingerboard on a Strat is such a delicious thing, spoiled me.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear
Nice one! I especially like the back of the neck. I too, really like ebony and now that I have it on my sunburst strat, I want to replace the red one's neck with compound radius +ebony. Carvin is top quality to me. I loved my DC127 and wish I could get it back! LOL

My red strat also has EMG SV's and I often think about swapping them out. I like the idea of Sigler Music's Rails HSH P Rails loaded pickguard, but would need to route the body for that. I haven't tried or even researched this very much yet, and wonder if I would like these pups.

920D Custom Shop Seymour Duncan P-Rails HSH Loaded Pickguard White/White Pearl for Stratocaster - YouTube
Michael
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear
I use a combination of Dimarzio Area '58, a Carvin AP11, and a Carvin Dual Rail in the bridge of my other Strat. I did have dual rails in all three but those pickups are so bloody hot I was not getting the more subtle Stratty tones I like. I dig the Area's for a traditional Strat single. They are super quiet and low noise but as well pretty low output, not a big deal if you use a pedal to bring up the signal. I do like the mixed Strat for my more Trower tones and such and the Duncan for all else.

I did try an Area '58 in the mid as I had one, but found it too dark and not great when used in combinations. I stuck one of my Carvin AP11s back in and I was shocked in a 1-1 comparison to the Dimarzio. The Area for sure much quieter but darker and the AP11 brighter fuller range and just more Strat with some punch, surprisingly better than I first thought. They can get noise easily so extra shielding is the rule and stay away from sources it can get hum. But sounds great and mixes well. The Carvin dual rail's are very high output great sounding full range Humbucker singles. Total HB quiet and those are more ouput than some fullsize HBs but well balanced and tonal not too bright but sound amazing when you want to really cut some hot leads. They burn it down in the bridge but maybe too hot for the other positions unless you roll off the volume. Which I tend to forget when I switch positions.

The Seymour Duncan Everything Axe set, is just rave, rave, love, love, they sound amazing, not only great but not overpowered Strat tones, seriously full on HB tone on a Strat or single coil tones, very much "everything". The mid is not an HB and mixes well on the combination coolness.
The bridge just sounds marvelous and like the dual rail allows the Strat to go full metal rock burn without needed external boost. Seymour Duncan provides the best wiring and components for this set. The solid metal gold pickguard is also way too cool.
The set also has a cool Duncan genius push/pull on the bridge which links the coils in a dual mode, but is not HB in that mode, very cool and loaded with tone options. I added an extra neck on bypass switch to the set so I can get that woody cool Les Paul mid position, with the Duncan HBs it sounds like a LP on a Strat, very cool. I have used EMGs in the past and other pickups but through the years of changing and trial and error I am loving the combinations I have now. I for sure like passive over active and using a battery in the guitar which adds a buffering effect many are not aware, might be what the doctor ordered on some rigs but if you have a large pedalboard like me you might prefer the traditional passive pickups.
At any rate sure wins: Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio Area's, Carvin's.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear
Thanks for all that! Darkhorse

I will check into the Duncan Everything set up. Several guys have mentioned the Area 51 for the P bass, which I am considering for my Zone Bass.

I am very used to NO NOISE after years of EMGs and now the Fralin Split Blades in my other strat, so I assume I have to come at replacing/upgrading those EMGs with something quiet!

Michael
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks for all that! Darkhorse

I will check into the Duncan Everything set up. Several guys have mentioned the Area 51 for the P bass, which I am considering for my Zone Bass.

I am very used to NO NOISE after years of EMGs and now the Fralin Split Blades in my other strat, so I assume I have to come at replacing/upgrading those EMGs with something quiet!

Michael
What I like about the Duncan Everything set is that it just takes the Strat into territories it was never really able. Full on burn metal and more Les Paul tones but still able to get all the cool Strat tones that only a single coil mag field size can really do. I have used my share of HB split coils and none ever really sounded Stratty for me. When I use the neck and bridge I get this very cool woody sounding tone like the LP which I just love. I can get my Trower stuff through this guitar as well but prefer my Area/AP 11 rigged Strat for more pure traditional Strat tones through my pedalboard. When it comes to getting a great Pagey sound the Duncan just rules. Those pickups are just tweaked out for HB zero noise output but nice tonal balance, not overpowering or shrill. As far as traditional Strats sticking a dual rail in the bridge gives you that better cut and presence for hotter leads yet flip back to the more normal other positions. If you can find the gold pickguard Duncan set all prewired, it is just really worth it. I added the neck on bypass jumper which is really simple. Why they do not have that is a puzzle to me, just the coolest tone for a Strat. Sort of gives me the two things I dig about a Les Paul, that mid position and the bridge lead, plus the Strats neck, combination and now a neck bridge like the LP.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Nice one! I especially like the back of the neck. I too, really like ebony and now that I have it on my sunburst strat, I want to replace the red one's neck with compound radius +ebony. Carvin is top quality to me. I loved my DC127 and wish I could get it back! LOL

My red strat also has EMG SV's and I often think about swapping them out. I like the idea of Sigler Music's Rails HSH P Rails loaded pickguard, but would need to route the body for that. I haven't tried or even researched this very much yet, and wonder if I would like these pups.

920D Custom Shop Seymour Duncan P-Rails HSH Loaded Pickguard White/White Pearl for Stratocaster - YouTube
Michael
I have used nothing but Carvin custom builds or their super quality parts for about 15 years now. From the beautiful finishes they render to my more grossly kit renderings I just have had no desire to pay a lot more and get less. Their necks are just perfect, flawless fret work. I love the ebony neck on Strats and I also have one they did a special cut DC127 3 single coil all mahogany body/neck, maple board just plain black finish, wanted just a more simple pure Strat. My older DC400 remains a work of beauty. Mahogany again, flamed maple top translucent black finish and gold hardware. Carvin rules for me, you get exactly what you want and your name is on it. Most do not realize Carvin is just less cost not because it is cheap materials or cheese but they sell direct from the factory no middle man vendor markup or hassle for them. They are a custom build company and like to make each guitar a one off special for each customer. I find their parts and hardware as good as it gets. Sperzel locking tuners, heavy duty bridge pieces, etc.
Watch putting the dual rails on the Strat, while I love them for the bridge they can be too much for the more subtle Strat tones. You can roll off the volume on them to make them sound lower level and they do burn and zero noise which is indeed nice and once you have experienced a noiseless Strat it is had to ever hear that hum propensity again. One reason I love the Dimarzio Area's, super quiet and sound great. Brad Whitford got Eric Johnson liking them on the last Experience Hendrix tour. Great traditional tones with zero noise. But that dual rail on the bridge, love it.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear
My limited Carvin experience was very much a great one! I would get another of those!
I've been thinking I will add another pull on pot to my Epi Night Hawk, which already has a pull on coil tap for the humbuckers. The next one will allow all 3 single coils on, and Les Paul (abeit with a mini-humbucker) or Tele modes -neck+bridge depending which way the coil tap switch is set.

I had a Gibson Blues Hawk and would really like to get another P90 guitar, but have to get a Gretsch thing going first, and really that is a tie between wanting something with a Bigsy and a Gretsch sound. (haven't tried TV Jones pups yet, so that will have to get explored too)

Michael
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Guru

My buddy John, the guy who helps me with my demos,
sent me a pix of a new guitar he's working on.

Walnut LP/Strat with heavy inlay body and neck.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-holy-grail-walnut-prototype-inlay-body.jpg  
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear
Wow! If he inlays all that, it ought to be a stunner! Nice!
Be sure to post "after" pics...

Michael
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Guru

Sent him a note to clarify if this is another One Piece Neck and Body or if it's
a long tongue neck through to the bridge build.

I'll report back.

Hopefully, we'll do a demo when its done.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Guru

Just heard back. Guitar neck and body are one continuous piece of high grade Walnut.
With fingerboard top plate hiding the truss assembly.

Here some progress on the inlay and you can see internally the grain is all the same through the body.

Here's another one he's just wrapping up.

Neck through Custom Firebird.

Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-inlay-progress.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search