The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeed View Post
1987 Charvel Jackson Model 6
I had a model 4 (bolt on), wish I had kept it. The problem with the design was the locking clamp was behind the nut.
Old 22nd December 2013
Lives for gear

Fav acoustics/hollow body
Martin D-18V, '61 Hofner Club 60, Yamaha NTX 1200R Nylon Electric.

Old 24th December 2013
Gear Nut

55 tele

OK, talking about old, this guitar is 2 years older than me and it's my absolute favorite guitar. I've had it for about 12 years. It's 100% original..the color is the original butterscotch and years of nicotine exposure.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-photo.jpg  
Old 24th December 2013
Lives for gear
Merry Christmas TomPaul and all!

Nice! Tom Wait's "old '55" takes on a whole new meaning.

Michael
Old 27th December 2013
My 1972 SG Standard with a DOD American Metal Distortion Pedal tossed in... the battery is under the pick guard.
The treble pickup is a DiMarzio with split coil/phase switches.
I do regret routing under the bridge to make room for a Kahler whammy bar.
It was one of the first aftermarket whammy bars - before they came with string locks - it went out of tune real fast so, I never used it.

I did the mod around 1979 or 80, back when used SGs were only around US$400.00.
I finally cleaned off 30 years of beer and blood to take these pics... I should have sprayed the pots while I had it open!!!

Gut shot:

Electronics cover:

All the extra knobs - every knob and switch performs a function:
Old 27th December 2013
Lives for gear

Pretty cool SG.

Old 28th December 2013
Thanks Unclenny!
It's in desperate need of a new nut and a fret filing. I've been playing it with small pieces of paper under each string (at the nut) for at least 10 years!!!
You can see the paper in the bottom photo. Ha! I'm a lazy bastard!
Old 28th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax Lepinski View Post
Thanks Unclenny!
It's in desperate need of a new nut and a fret filing. I've been playing it with small pieces of paper under each string (at the nut) for at least 10 years!!!
You can see the paper in the bottom photo. Ha! I'm a lazy bastard!
You can fill in an over sized nut slot with some crazy glue, go at it slowly one drop, let it harden then another as needed, works fine for me to tighten up slots that are to deep or a bit sloppy.
Old 28th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by allphourus View Post
You can fill in an over sized nut slot with some crazy glue, go at it slowly one drop, let it harden then another as needed, works fine for me to tighten up slots that are to deep or a bit sloppy.
What a great idea Allphourus!!! I'll have to give it a go tomorrow
Cheers!!!
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I have 2 sets of strings and 4 guitars, how anyone has that kind of money is beyond me. I think would rather have a nice Corvette and just a few nice guitars. It all gets to be like a dragon after a while, a dragon hordes caches of gold & virgin damsels and cannot use either of them.
Yeahbut yeahbut.

When I sold them, it paid for a three room solid brick extension to my house.
Which was sorta why I wound up with that many in the first place.

And to be brutally frank, I doubt if there was more than half a dozen keepers in the lot.

But those keepers I still have, with one exception that got traded.

I aint dumb.
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by an.Spruch View Post
1991 Custom Shop Fender Stratocaster (Korina)

Sooo smooth to play!
Wow! Just noticed this! Your guitar is scarily similar to my unfinished Alder bodied strat.
Maybe I should get some proper white fender knobs like yours and actually put some finish on the poor thing.

I love naked wood and tortoiseshell
Old 30th December 2013
My Keef-er tribute axe
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-image_8579.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-image_1143.jpg  
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
My Keef-er tribute axe
Five strings I hope...
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Nut

I can't remember if I posted any pics in this thread, have been too distracted eyeballing everyone elses stuff!! lots of great guitars here!

ps I have heard about that WheatBelly book as well, used to have a 32 inch waist but now I'm a fat slob :D I should check it out

anyway if I had to choose I would be one of these...I call them Yin & Yang. both handmade in Kalamazoo, Michigan at 225 Parson's st...by the most experienced guitar builders in the world..yes I am proud of them

Heritage Millenium Eagle carved maple hollowbody. maple neck. ebony fretboard. Duncan Seth Lover pickups:

Heritage H-157 all mahogany body, like the '50's Les Paul customs. ebony fretboard. Eagle headstock. Throbak SLE101 pickups:

direct link, if those images don't work

Index of /images/yinyang
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear
@becks bolero A great piece! I saw him do it with Mick Waller, and Ron Woods (and Rod Stewart was the singer).

Also check out Grain Brain RE the affects of grain on your mental acuity.

As a Michigander, it's funny how I haven't really seen that many Heritage guitars. I imagine they are as nice as the best Gibsons. Those look very nice!

I used to love to go to the shop upstairs of Charlie Wicks' ProCo Sound. There was always something wonderful to check out at Gibson in the 70's and famous folk coming through there, too.

Michael
Old 2nd January 2014
Whoops! Just added my photos above. (Left em off)
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Whoops! Just added my photos above. (Left em off)
Jules, we gotta get you rolling on doing your own live clips.

You just need to be able to access your interface as the default I/O to your MBP.

The internal camera with some creative lighting is more than fine, really.

The other way, is to do a group of still photos as a slideshow and import your
audio and set the photos time to spread the photos to fit the length of the audio.
Old 3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
@becks bolero A great piece! I saw him do it with Mick Waller, and Ron Woods (and Rod Stewart was the singer).

Also check out Grain Brain RE the affects of grain on your mental acuity.

As a Michigander, it's funny how I haven't really seen that many Heritage guitars. I imagine they are as nice as the best Gibsons. Those look very nice!

I used to love to go to the shop upstairs of Charlie Wicks' ProCo Sound. There was always something wonderful to check out at Gibson in the 70's and famous folk coming through there, too.

Michael
wow, what year would that have been, that you saw that lineup? 1971 or so?

must have been amazing, what a band they were

I sold my Gibsons after discovering Heritage...had both brands for a couple years and there is no comparison in my mind. had a nice R7 as well

Jules I can't play that .aif, says it's corrupt?
Old 3rd January 2014
Try now - I changed the file type!
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Try now - I changed the file type!
hey that sounds great!

what is that thing you are using? looks like a speaker load with some FX etc and a line out? that ampeg head isn't plugged into speakers, just that unit?

would like to hear how it sounds properly into a DAW

...and I see you hAve the keef-approved 5 strings :D

*edit* ah found the link...your original link was to a single post, I had to open up the topic to get more info, cheers

Last edited by becks bolero; 3rd January 2014 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: info
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear
@becks bolero

I'm thinking it was earlier than that ...... too many psychedelics! What was his first solo LP? Could've been for that tour... my best guess is '69 and this wikilink mentions Micky Waller joining and Ron Wood switching from rythym guitar to bass in '68..... that sounds about right, too.

The Jeff Beck Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I used to go to the Electric Theatre in Chicago regularly from fall '68 till it closed a few years later. I saw the Dead (a lot), Fever Tree, Zepplin, Terry Reid, Quicksilver Messenger Service (the first version 4 pc)and LOTS of others ....it's a bit blurry and I have been writing it down when I do recall things! LOL The Grass Roots, too, but they sucked and the drummer only brought out 2 sticks! One of flew out into the audience he started a fight with the guy who caught it and wouldn't give it back! LOL

Beck was incredible both as a player (his black '54 LP) and as a showman! Great trio and I was very impressed with Rod Stewart!
Beck did this drop to his knee, while holding the guitar/playing a high note that would fall as he did, that was so cool! He did it a few times during their set.

It's funny I can remember seeing the Beatles, Stones (with Brian), Beach Boys (with Glen Campbell), Lovin' Spoonful, Simon& Garfunkel, the Band, Derek & the Dominos (w/ Elton John & Foghat), Mad Dogs & Englishmen, Jefferson Airplane (did acid with Jorma and tried to get onstage! LOL), and lots more but those are easier to recall as concerts vs this big club venue. Though that allowed me to talk to almost everybody that I tried to, which was always fun!
I also got to see/meet tons of blues guys in Chicago at the various festivals and a shop that they hung out at, that I went to as often as possible, once I figured that out! LOL
I really ought to write more down! LOL
Michael
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear Nut

holy crap, that's amazing!!

was david lindley playing gtr for terry reid? would have loved to see those guys as well...plus early cream/zep/free etc

and all those blues guys!

man, I was born in the wrong decade, that was long before my time

did you ever go to the grande ballroom in detroit?

must have been incredible to see all that great music evolve in realtime....we are still trailing on the coattails of that generation, creatively

you should write a book/some memoirs!!
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear
Terry Reid was his own lead guitarist and he smoked! He had a powerhouse trio, though I don't know who the bass and drummer were, on his first tour of USA. I was sure he was going to be huge, and always wondered why not.

RE David Lindley- I saw him with Jackson Browne a few times always with a band, and though I intended to see him during the first solo LP and El Rayo X, I didn't make it. I got my current 1947 Gibson BR-4 lap steel after seeing him with JB, the first time, around '74.

Before '73 I mostly saw bands in Chicago or while visiting San Francisco, Colorado, or DC (where the Dead, Band and Allman Brothers played). After that I was living in Michigan, though I gigged in Chicago, South Bend etc and saw the Eagles in SB for the Long Run Tour, met Albert King at the Notre Dame Blues Festival, even saw Marshall Crenshaw's first tour in Grand Rapids with both his brothers, Robert(drums and vocals) and John (vocals and perc, maybe synth?)with Chris Donato on bass. Their vocals freaked me out completely! Such harmonies! They made the Eagles seem wimpy! In a bowling alley, no less!

Moby Grape had a bad night the one time I got to see them ca '68 and I missed the Buffalo Springfield, because my girlfriend pulled a stunt and that ended that! I did see them the night before Woodstock in Chicago as CSN and they surprised everyone by NOT announcing that Neil Young had joined the band. That was killer!
Saw the Moody Blues ca '72 and was blown away by them! I do feel very lucky-fortunate to have seen/heard/met all the ones that I did get to!
No to Detroit Ballroom
My friends loaned their gear to Cream in Skokie one afternoon -'68- and there are pictures of Clapton playing my buddie's SG/rig and Dave Mason jamming too.

Michael
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear Guru

I think Allman Bros and the Dead at RFK was one of the longest concerts I had ever been to.
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear
Yep! That's the one we both were at! and it was LONGGGGGGGG!

Michael
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear Guru

If I remember correctly all shows at RFK back then were open festival seating.

Because of that, we almost got crushed getting through the gates to see Stones
with Stevie Wonder & Martha & The Vandellas.
Old 3rd January 2014
Lives for gear
My friends from Michigan had a band called Pure Smack. They were very good players and singers. They were playing in front of this hip clothing store called the House of Lewis, when the limo pulled up and Cream? Maybe it was the Delany and Bonnie tour! That seems more likely for 1969 since Clapton was with Dave Mason. I wasn't there and am a little foggy about the story.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-clapton-mason-use-pure-smacks-gear-skokie-il-house-lewis-69.jpg  
Old 4th January 2014
Gear Guru

I feel quite fortunate to have grown up when I did, experiencing so many groundbreaking moments in music history.
Old 4th January 2014
Lives for gear
Me, too! Robb

It was exciting and still is quite fun to recount and recall.

Michael
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search