The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

I've been lurking on this forum for ages and forgot I actaully had an account here. Oops. Here's pics to make up for it.

1997 SG Standard. 1979 Rickenbacker 480. These two are the current favorites.

Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
1997 SG Standard. 1979 Rickenbacker 480.
Those are nice pics.

These days my favorite guitar is my '69 EB3.

Old 17th October 2013
Gear Guru

That's in great shape for a '69
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah...but it's an odd one. Notice that it has a toggle switch instead of the rotary that is standard?

I honestly think it came from the factory that way....no sign of modification and I have had the guts out to look.

Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
Gibson always seemed to change things around and not write it down. When I moved from Chicago up to South Haven, MI (45 miles west of Kalamazoo)in 1971, I saw all kinds of odd models that my friends had or that bands would be using.

My bass player had an odd EBO bass, like that; short scale, slotted head but I don't remember what was "off" about his now. Too far back.

Nice one, though!

Michael
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Right now it's this one.

A 1981 Ibanez Blazer with brass trem (everything, even the saddles).

The pickups are "StraBro90"s which is a P90 class wind that has slugs on one side and screws on the other and that can be tapped to vintage Strat class. The wiring allows separate tap for neck and bridge, and the bridge can be put either in series with the 5-way switch or out-of-phase with it, or both.

The best sound out of these is a full pickup in the bridge and then both series and out-of-phase with half a neck pickup. A roar that makes a great base for intense distorted sounds.

Hums like a mofo, too, so it's a real guitar

Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I've owned an SG Custom like pictured above but my favorite for years now has been a magenta colored strike plate Hendrix white Strat. https://www.google.com/search?q=jimi...ml%3B380%3B480
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

this just arrived , currently it's my new fav
a 2013 Sterling Classic

Old 20th October 2013
Gear Guru

If I would have bought a 5 String, an original Music Man was my first pick.

I mean heck yeah, Tony Levin Bass.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Fretless, as always that's nice! I thought about you when I got my new AMS catalog the other day and saw the Fender swirls on the strat and tele. But I must say I gig yours more.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks Fellas ! Yeah my swirl freakin rocks mostly because the Chopper T and Fast track 1 just kill !
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Guru

Fretless, you'd love the Reeves 225 & 400 Bass Heads

Rich full musical, big block Hiwatt Circuits.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
I really like the sound and the noise"less" ness! They must be very close to the strings and that was distracting at first. Very much so, for me and now I am used to them.

The Red strat (built as a natural in '80-81) got cherry stained in 2001. That's the 3rd neck (don't even remember the brand! Got it in Albq around '85) in 33 years and I am going to replace it with another CR2900 or equivalent. It does have a graphite intonated nut, too. That one will also, get a Super Vee Blade Runner( or maybe a Super Vee) and I think I'm going to swap out the EMG pickups(3rd set of pickups, too). I appreciate the noiselessness of them, but am pretty blah about the tone. I don't have a Gretsch at the moment and might do TV Jones or Duncan Mini-humbuckers with more than the 5 way switching(if I get a Gretsch to cover that realm!).

Anyone know how to get tortoise shell pickguard from Schecter for my Hellcat VI? Mine has the mini-humbuckers with a 5 way and coil tap push-pull on the tone control. I want to do the 3 way 3 switch on a "Jaguar type" chrome plate. It's black on black and looks too nondescript for me.

Michael
Check out pickguardian.com

They do custom stuff. I sent a mustang pg that shattered and they made a new one. The old one broke after a shady route job for a humbucker.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Fretless, you'd love the Reeves 225 & 400 Bass Heads

Rich full musical, big block Hiwatt Circuits.
no doubt , I gigged with a DR103 for years on bass, I've gotten away from those tube heads these last few years but they always put a smile on your face when you get to romp one .
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Guru

I had a choice between a dead mint '72 Blue Line SVT and the Reeves 225
I owned an early Black Line '73 that got stolen, and the Reeves is the first head I've ever owned that sounded better than my SVT, but 25 pounds lighter and makes a wicked guitar amp too.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
I had a choice between a dead mint '72 Blue Line SVT and the Reeves 225
I owned an early Black Line '73 that got stolen, and the Reeves is the first head I've ever owned that sounded better than my SVT, but 25 pounds lighter and makes a wicked guitar amp too.
I tend to like less wattage then SVT's when it comes to tube amps for bass , get it grinding a little more V4b's or any 100 watter will do nicely for me. These days though I use a Trace Elliot , aggressive little bastages and I have a wonderful Acoustic Image Focus which is warm and clean but crazy loud and weighs in at 4lbs @ 600 watts ,it's lovely . FYI Acoustic Image has some of the nicest folks around in the audio world . Great bunch of peoples
Jazz cats would love this rig but it's so warm and punchy that it rocks hard too .
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Guru

I just never warmed up to solid state, but that looks like a cool little unit.

Nice thing about the Reeves is you can bridge the channels for extra gain and the master means you can drive the pre sections as hard or light as you want.

KT88's & Big Iron makes them sound very rich.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
I just never warmed up to solid state, but that looks like a cool little unit.

Nice thing about the Reeves is you can bridge the channels for extra gain and the master means you can drive the pre sections as hard or light as you want.

KT88's & Big Iron makes them sound very rich.
yeah that'll peel paint no question . I've been through them all and there are some very good ss bass amps , Trace Elliot amps are killer , even the new ones are pretty good and a good old GK800rb will get you through any gig anywhere . I like tube amps too I'll play through just about anything until it blows up..
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Guru

I also buy hand wired tube amps now, so I'll never again be stuck waiting for proprietary
components or pcb boards.
Old 20th October 2013
I have several "favorites", but this was my first build so it has a special place in my heart. Its an HS strele, and although it has a few minor cosmetic issues, it sounds fantastic.

Show your FAV GUITAR...-imageuploadedbygearslutz1382242827.521694.jpg
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
I also buy hand wired tube amps now, so I'll never again be stuck waiting for proprietary
components or pcb boards.
there have been many a fine amp with a PCB going way way back to the 70's but in the last few years there have been some very complex amps and good luck sorting it out if you have an issue with one .
Old 20th October 2013
+ for trace elliot solid states. Im a tube guy but my pre-fender TS Supertramp definaty holds its own.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretless View Post
there have been many a fine amp with a PCB going way way back to the 70's but in the last few years there have been some very complex amps and good luck sorting it out if you have an issue with one .
I don't even care about warranty, if something breaks I want to be able to take it to my tech and get it fixed rather than screwing with weeks of turn around, return shipping and what can happen in shipping.

Since you're in California you should do a Bat Cat Factory Tour and check out
The Beast .
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
I don't even care about warranty, if something breaks I want to be able to take it to my tech and get it fixed rather than screwing with weeks of turn around, return shipping and what can happen in shipping.

Since you're in California you should do a Bat Cat Factory Tour and check out
The Beast .
oh many a fine builder here on the West coast !
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
oh many a fine builder here on the West coast !
But I doubt many with a life time, transferable warranty.

I haven't had the pleasure to try The Beast,
would be cool to get your opinion.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
But I doubt many with a life time, transferable warranty.

I haven't had the pleasure to try The Beast,
would be cool to get your opinion.
I think it costs 5K , actually I can't seem to find it so I'm not sure if they are in production . I'm sure it's great though and a blast to play through .
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear
fretless! Oh man, is that Sterling beautiful! A pal has one and it's his fav of the 14+ (last time I counted)basses he owns.

Being a "P bass sound starting point" guy, I wonder how that pickup in that position compares?

Congratulations! I would be delighted with that bass, every time I saw it.

Michael
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
I think it costs 5K , actually I can't seem to find it so I'm not sure if they are in production . I'm sure it's great though and a blast to play through .

Looks like they decided to concentrate on guitar amps.

Hard to compete with the SVT, Reeves 225 & 400, and all the other Solid State offerings.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
fretless! Oh man, is that Sterling beautiful! A pal has one and it's his fav of the 14+ (last time I counted)basses he owns.

Being a "P bass sound starting point" guy, I wonder how that pickup in that position compares?

Congratulations! I would be delighted with that bass, every time I saw it.

Michael
Thanks Michael ! \m/ Cheers
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
fretless
I really would like your opinion on whether the Sterling can do the P bass sound. I know how my buddy uses his, but he doesn't go for that sound, being a funky slapper-popper guy.

Michael
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search