The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 22nd September 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
@fretless Thanks for all that. I appreciate your comments, and suggestions.

I may not do anything to it, but I do also, prefer passive and lower output pickups, and figured there must be a simple way to redo the 3 tone controls without the preamp if I go that way. I haven't used it much and will certainly live with it for a bit before I make any decisions. The pic is not really showing the color, well.

It was mint when I got it (still is)with case for $400 and I do really like it, even though it's MIM. I have considered having a exact size body made and regarding your comments about getting another bass, I'm certain that will happen! LOL

I miss my P and my '97 American Std Jazz V, which was ash see-thru-blonde (though I called it oatmeal) basses. I really like the 60th Anniversary P and still would love to get a Hofner Club or a Guild StarFire for my 30" flatwound piece.

Michael
Good looking bass , I just looked into it a bit and those controls are a bit wonky with that pan knob but I don't think I would change it . If it were mine I'd try some different strings on it and leave it be. Perhaps set it up real good and adjust the pickups until it sounds right .As long as it isn't noisy or hiss or somesuch . Save your beans for another bass and that bass would probably still get you about what you paid for it if you decided to let it go .
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear
Not noisey or hissy at all. Just not quite "P bass".........

As far as taking it somewhere else, well, you're right, if I add the other basses, then it might fit in or get "traded" for something more fun.

I haven't tried new strings on it, yet, and kept a list of the ones you suggested.

I really do like the 7/8ths body size! It fits me better and that is what prompts my "what if I....?" options thinking-panorama! LOL

Michael
Old 23rd September 2013
Gear Maniac

My new Striker 7, it now has a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge

and my ESP

Old 24th September 2013
Gear Maniac

This, 25 years old, price tag of a guitar pedal but screams 80s like a 2000$ kramer
Old 24th September 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Not noisey or hissy at all. Just not quite "P bass".........

As far as taking it somewhere else, well, you're right, if I add the other basses, then it might fit in or get "traded" for something more fun.

I haven't tried new strings on it, yet, and kept a list of the ones you suggested.

I really do like the 7/8ths body size! It fits me better and that is what prompts my "what if I....?" options thinking-panorama! LOL

Michael
I like a smaller bass too though in the end I just like bass but perhaps a 32" scale will do it for ya , super comfy and often a wee smaller but still sounds "normal". As for the pups I've heard the p/j's will sound different through a blend pot and the only way to have the P be itself is to switch it out of the blend right to the jack or through a tone pot like usual . It's a subtle difference but if you can hear it then it matters .

My current project I just now put a coat of Oly down on it . 3.5 Lbs. reclaimed Sugar Pine

Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear
@fretless Nice looking finish!! Wow. Post pics when that one's done!

I'm thinking you're right about the P/J loading things, so the P sounds "funny". You've got me wondering how to wire it, so as to switch out the J pickup. Must be a way to rewire it for just the P or the J and then to combine them, also.
Hmmmmmm
Michael
Old 25th September 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
I never got a Floyd Rose type and think about which one, if I were to get one.
Michael
Its a bit of a w*nker guitar, but i was a w*nker when i got it! I loved metallica as a kid and my dad offered to buy it for me if i learned how to play crossroads. I was a SERIOUSLY happy dude when i got it

jB
Old 25th September 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
@fretless Nice looking finish!! Wow. Post pics when that one's done!

I'm thinking you're right about the P/J loading things, so the P sounds "funny". You've got me wondering how to wire it, so as to switch out the J pickup. Must be a way to rewire it for just the P or the J and then to combine them, also.
Hmmmmmm
Michael
Like on my p/j I used a 3 way switch but that would be a full rewire on your bass and at that point I'd probably gut it . I'm not sure I'd go that far on that one though . Save the beans for a nice P
Old 27th September 2013
i've fallen in love some years ago with gretsch guitars and this year i finally got one: Gretsch Tennessee.

it has "that" gretsch sound and it's a very universal machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-img_0439.jpg  
Old 27th September 2013
Lives for gear
Nice Gretsch! I used to own an early '60's Tennessean and so really want to replace it with the G6119-HT1962, which is just like my old and first one. I loved recording with the Hi-Lo Trons. I'd love to get a 6120TM, too. They are both on my list and will be favs' as soon as I get them! LOL

@fretless Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking.
I still might rewire/repickup it. I like it a lot and yet I still want it BETTER! LOL

Michael
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
i've fallen in love some years ago with gretsch guitars and this year i finally got one: Gretsch Tennessee.

it has "that" gretsch sound and it's a very universal machine.
What a beauty!

Sent from my SoftwinerEvb
Old 7th October 2013
Gear Addict

The Pine P is done . somewhere around 7.5 lbs. but feels like 5 or 6 , I gotta put it on a real scale and see for real . Gotoh resolites , DiMarzio Area P , KTS bridge ,Warmoth qsawn tele neck .

Old 7th October 2013
Lives for gear
Another nice one, fretless!
Old 7th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretless View Post
The Pine P is done . somewhere around 7.5 lbs. but feels like 5 or 6 , I gotta put it on a real scale and see for real . Gotoh resolites , DiMarzio Area P , KTS bridge ,Warmoth qsawn tele neck .
I really enjoy the aesthetics of this bass!
Old 7th October 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks Fellas , this is gonna be my new workhorse , can't wait to put some wear on her .
Old 10th October 2013
Lives for gear
OK Here's a closeup of my latest parts strat.

My "ultra" Strat Photo by mcintalker | Photobucket

Mighty Mite ash with flamed maple cap, CR2900 neck (ebony, compound radius, 1+11/16ths nut ), Fralin Split Blades, Super Vee Blade Runner, push-pull for all 3 on or neck and bridge, plus bass roll off. I have to install the Earvana nut and it's done. It was routed for a single HB.

Michael
Old 10th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Mcintalker, how do you like the split blades?
Old 10th October 2013
Lives for gear
I really like the sound and the noise"less" ness! They must be very close to the strings and that was distracting at first. Very much so, for me and now I am used to them.

The Red strat (built as a natural in '80-81) got cherry stained in 2001. That's the 3rd neck (don't even remember the brand! Got it in Albq around '85) in 33 years and I am going to replace it with another CR2900 or equivalent. It does have a graphite intonated nut, too. That one will also, get a Super Vee Blade Runner( or maybe a Super Vee) and I think I'm going to swap out the EMG pickups(3rd set of pickups, too). I appreciate the noiselessness of them, but am pretty blah about the tone. I don't have a Gretsch at the moment and might do TV Jones or Duncan Mini-humbuckers with more than the 5 way switching(if I get a Gretsch to cover that realm!).

Anyone know how to get tortoise shell pickguard from Schecter for my Hellcat VI? Mine has the mini-humbuckers with a 5 way and coil tap push-pull on the tone control. I want to do the 3 way 3 switch on a "Jaguar type" chrome plate. It's black on black and looks too nondescript for me.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-my-ultra-strat-.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-red-strat-.jpg  

Last edited by mcintalker; 10th October 2013 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 11th October 2013
Lives for gear
Anyone like Walnut for a body wood? The grain on Walnut is really nice. I usually go Mahogany but man some of that Walnut is some pretty stuff if you like doing the stained tung oil grain thing.

To the above, I have some twin rail HBs on one of my Strats, very high output, almost too much. I had to back mine off the strings. That dual rail is as powerful as many fullsize HBs,
at least the ones I used.
Plus is humbucker noiseless minus is the output. Fantastic in the bridge, I ended up using Dimarzio Area '58 in the neck for more traditional response.
Old 11th October 2013
Gear Guru

I've heard three of my friend's Walnut builds and they sounded great!
Old 11th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Mcintalker, I don't know how much it would cost you but Chandler makes customized pick guards. Here's the webpage: Pickguard Heaven: Pickguards for Every Guitar
Old 11th October 2013
Lives for gear
Thanks Nebakanezer!

I've made a few over the decades and might try another, but path of least resistance is always better! LOL

Michael
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
I really like the sound and the noise"less" ness! They must be very close to the strings and that was distracting at first. Very much so, for me and now I am used to them.

The Red strat (built as a natural in '80-81) got cherry stained in 2001. That's the 3rd neck (don't even remember the brand! Got it in Albq around '85) in 33 years and I am going to replace it with another CR2900 or equivalent. It does have a graphite intonated nut, too. That one will also, get a Super Vee Blade Runner( or maybe a Super Vee) and I think I'm going to swap out the EMG pickups(3rd set of pickups, too). I appreciate the noiselessness of them, but am pretty blah about the tone. I don't have a Gretsch at the moment and might do TV Jones or Duncan Mini-humbuckers with more than the 5 way switching(if I get a Gretsch to cover that realm!).

Anyone know how to get tortoise shell pickguard from Schecter for my Hellcat VI? Mine has the mini-humbuckers with a 5 way and coil tap push-pull on the tone control. I want to do the 3 way 3 switch on a "Jaguar type" chrome plate. It's black on black and looks too nondescript for me.

Michael
Nice axes !
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Addict

Walnut did you say , how about a 1 piece

Old 13th October 2013
Gear Guru

Schweet! Love the grain and the understated elegance.

I wish Gold Hardware held up better than it generally doesn't.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear
fretless Thanks! Whoa! That walnut one is mighty fine!

Michael
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear
Sold me, I am going Walnut on the body, maybe the neck as well. Building from parts so cannot do the one piece like the factory would be able to build it. A couple of mine are one piece Mahogany but the grain on that Walnut is marvelous almost as cool as Koa. I am wondering if a grain pit seal would be in order before stains.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Guru

Pau Ferro makes a nice solid wood neck.

Here's my friend John's self built Walnut Super Strat.

The Fralin UnBuckers with Custom Single Coil Taps
make this one of the best sounding guitars I've heard.

It was the guitar featured in my Reeves Custom Jimmy 50 Demos.

The Body & Neck are One Piece with a Rosewood Fingerboard hiding the truss assembly
and stabilizing the neck from any twisting.

I personally prefer a matte finish to allow the natural beauty of the wood to do the talking, but this a beast of a guitar.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear
I usually go tung oil or Danish stain as I have no good means to apply Poly and have it be that thick and perfect. Some would argue it kills to much resonance of the wood or does not breath. My opinion, an electric guitar is way more pickups, neck accuracy, components, strings and setup than "tone woods". I get tone woods on acoustics but I have never noticed a hell of a lot of difference on various electrics. If anything I think the hardness of the wood effects sustain and neck through the body is different as well.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Guru

I think John's Walnut One Piece Weighs Like 10 pounds.

The finish doesn't make much difference, but those Fralin Unbuckers set up with push pull single coil taps sounded fantastic.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search