The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Guru

I'm tempted to try the Thomastik-Infeld strings, but they are quite expensive.
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretless View Post
every once in awhile I will throw a set of flats on the P , I usually just grab some Fender flats which are nice .
Flats are nice indeed! I use D'Addario ribbon wounds on my Epiphone Joe Pass. Nice and vibey, especially when going through a Fender reissue reverb tank and Bassman reissue )
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-imageuploadedbygearslutz1376799155.993133.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-imageuploadedbygearslutz1376799495.283047.jpg  
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear
@ fretless and FFTT Thanks for those string brand tips. I have been GHS for so long, I realize I don't know about a lot of new ones and have forgotten some great old ones.
I used to use Thomastik-Infield John Pearse Folksingers on my brunch gig a/e nylon Alvarez Artist Fusion. They are wound like steel with nylon and silk and I loved the tone on that guitar with my Fender AcoustiSonic (30?)
I remember Pyramids and La Bella. I do use the D'Addario chromes for flatwound guitar..... not bass, yet.
The Circle K and R Cocco are unknown to me, but I bet a pal has them on one of his many basses and he just moved way closer to me, so I can check that out with him.
Thanks Michael
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Nut

Any quality basswood guitar I love Dump what ever pup is in it and put something like the DD in lol no Tone or volume pots just straight to the jack and try different resistor/Cap configuration's in series or parallel = Instant rip my head off Shred machine haha. Like stick a fire-breather 3900-4700pf cap in there preferably not ceramic/mylar lol, if it is ceramic/mylar it will rip your ****ing head off hahaha,
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Guru

When I was playing full time, I was changing strings about once a month, so D' Addarios & Fender Flats were fine. Now with lighter use, a set of stings lasts a long time, so I might spoil myself a bit with the T-I's.
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Nut

Go with some Elixers or Pyramids man great strings.
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Guru

I hear Pyramids are the ones to get for my old Hofner, but I think T-I light flats may be
destined for my '64 Jazz.
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Addict

it's kinda crazy but I have never been a Jazz bass guy , always a P man but that all changed the second I hit the first note on this bass .
'04 Suhr Classic

It's aggressive and punchy with the most amazing tone . Good fun to romp this one .\m/
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Guru

Looks like a strong working man's bass.

Maybe not as sweet as an original, but lots of very practical refinements.
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Looks like a strong working man's bass.

Maybe not as sweet as an original, but lots of very practical refinements.
That is a pretty good way to put it and if you've ever played a Suhr "refined" suits it well . This is also the sweetest active bass I've ever heard , very natural & organic . The man sure can build'em .
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Guru

It's getting to where I'm afraid to haul my '64 Jazz to places unknown, so I've considered another bass, but not a priority like it would be working full time.

I need to concentrate on getting what I already have in tip top shape.
Then hunting down NOS tubes, speakers, minor repairs, all kinds of stuff that needs doing before I buy anything new in an instrument.

I already think my passive Schecter PJ pickups are just a bit too aggressive and dial them back for a milder sound. Active would only add more punch and I've got way plenty.
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear
Yeah, the whole "taking my favs to a gig" was getting older fast! I started buying stuff for gigs of questionable "safety"; a MIM strat, a beater Yamaha acoustic to do a series of campfire storyteller gigs, and a Fender Springhill acoustic/elec. so I could leave my Galloup LG1, Martin D28 ('71)and Taylor 514, etc at home. LOL

That Suhr looks fabulous!

Michael
Old 21st August 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
Yeah, the whole "taking my favs to a gig" was getting older fast! I started buying stuff for gigs of questionable "safety"; a MIM strat, a beater Yamaha acoustic to do a series of campfire storyteller gigs, and a Fender Springhill acoustic/elec. so I could leave my Galloup LG1, Martin D28 ('71)and Taylor 514, etc at home. LOL

Michael
His finishes always catch my eye and what you can't see is that amazing satin neck finish that feels so nice .
Old 21st August 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase90 View Post
1988 Fender '52 tele reissue. '88 was the first year they released the tele reissues. I'm the original owner and will never part with it. I've had so many offers...
Hubba hubba! Love the simplicity and classic style of the original Telecaster.
Old 24th August 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Michael
It's always back and forth with me... I've bought MIM Teles and Gibson Studios for gigs but every now and then, for an important one, I'll bring the good stuff and then decide to keep bringing it to every rehearsal and show because it's just more fun. Why bother having pricey guitars if you're not going to play them.

There's a line, however... my dad's '59 LP Junior isn't getting any live action these days. The prices on these are just too insane to risk it now.
Old 24th August 2013
Here for the gear

This is my favourite one.
Old 24th August 2013
Gear Guru

Tain't no geetar closer to a man's heart than his Ol' Beater
Old 24th August 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DublinBoy View Post

That looks like a nice Spanish luthier-built guitar. Hadn't heard of that builder before.
Old 20th September 2013
Gear Addict

I just finished this Renegade Guitar works one piece Hog body and Warmoth Wenge LP neck . Dimarzio Area p/j's Armadillo Guitar bridge . Simple 3 way .

sounds like
Old 20th September 2013
Lives for gear

Old Gibson Les Paul

Old 20th September 2013
Gear Addict

One of my favs....

One of my oldest...

jB
Old 21st September 2013
Here for the gear

Show your FAV GUITAR...-imageuploadedbygearslutz1379726243.367987.jpg

'59 VOS Custom Shop Reissue. Plays amazing and sounds even better.
Old 21st September 2013
Lives for gear
Nice bass, fretless!
Noah330, what a collection you have!!!!
JDB30- got my aim set on one of those! Nice burst, too!

@Jason Baliban I started with my first Strat in '65 and after a Les Paul Custom in '68, and an Epiphone Riviera in '69 (which I kept for 20+ years and should never have sold! Same for the Custom LP), I went back to strats, though I added other options. It still is a great center piece for my assortment, though now that I have two and prefer one, I'm wondering how (or where? to take it) to soup up the original (red one if you check my post pics).
I never got a Floyd Rose type and think about which one, if I were to get one.
Michael
Old 22nd September 2013
Gear Maniac

Recently picked up a 2010 Flying V (67 Reissue)

Rescued it from a mirror pickguard and oversized boomer strings. Luckily the owner kept the original parts!

Still fiddling with the action but feels very familiar, sits just right
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-imageuploadedbygearslutz1379834809.013679.jpg  
Old 22nd September 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Nice bass, fretless!
Noah330, what a collection you have!!!!
JDB30- got my aim set on one of those! Nice burst, too!

@Jason Baliban I started with my first Strat in '65 and after a Les Paul Custom in '68, and an Epiphone Riviera in '69 (which I kept for 20+ years and should never have sold! Same for the Custom LP), I went back to strats, though I added other options. It still is a great center piece for my assortment, though now that I have two and prefer one, I'm wondering how (or where? to take it) to soup up the original (red one if you check my post pics).
I never got a Floyd Rose type and think about which one, if I were to get one.
Michael
Thanks ! , here is another one . It's a Warmoth P that I just gave a Satin finish to with 0000 steel wool , it turned out perfectly .

I have some new favs on it now , DiMarzio Area DP 250 , vintage , warm Alnico II has a really cool kinda chewy bottom and Fender Pure Nickel strings , love'em warm , clear and sweet highs . This bass sounds amazing now .
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear
Hey fretless,
I'm not much for paint-colored guitars, but that one looks sweet!

Say, if I want to upgrade my Fender Zone's PJ active set up to something else, along the P (my fav) and J path (my second fav), what would you say?

I'm not adverse to going passive pickup wise, though I do wonder about the bass-mids- treble controls. I suppose it wouldn't be hard to rewire or change it all.
I'm wondering what would happen to the tone-sustain, if I strip the sienna-burst and go with see-thru-oatmeal honeyblonde finish. I love everything else about it, though I miss my P and Jazz V basses!

Michael
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
Old Gibson Les Paul

Oh yeah, baby! Sweeeeeeeet.
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DublinBoy View Post

Looks like your gettin' close to a WillieNelson trigger-style F hole.
Old 22nd September 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hey fretless,
I'm not much for paint-colored guitars, but that one looks sweet!

Say, if I want to upgrade my Fender Zone's PJ active set up to something else, along the P (my fav) and J path (my second fav), what would you say?

I'm not adverse to going passive pickup wise, though I do wonder about the bass-mids- treble controls. I suppose it wouldn't be hard to rewire or change it all.
I'm wondering what would happen to the tone-sustain, if I strip the sienna-burst and go with see-thru-oatmeal honeyblonde finish. I love everything else about it, though I miss my P and Jazz V basses!

Michael
Now that is tricky , first of all I probably wouldn't touch it unless I really couldn't get along with it , some of the Zone series basses were very high end models so which do you have ? P/J's are touchy beasts there are a few sets that pop up on "TB" when someone asks . I love the Dimarzio set but those or the other Dimarzio sets or Fralins , and a few others . I personally prefer passive basses but a few are very good at doing the active thing , Suhr or Alembic etc etc . Paint wise IME won't change the toan , I refin'd that Schecter and it didn't change one bit . Sure soaking it in oil or encasing it in plastic may F it up but for the most part it won't change .So back to the p/j my first choice would be the DiMarzio Area set I used in that hog p/j and just popped the P area in that sonic blue bass . The alnico II pups are lower output , may turn off some bassist , some of those guys go for quarter pounders but I dig a great pickup and often the ones I like are indeed lower output . Or Fralins , you can get those wound anyway you want and they are bu all accounts fantastic pups . There is also the chance that you could change the preamp in your bass , depending on how complicated . There are several upgrades out there . or do what I do , by another bass
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear
@fretless Thanks for all that. I appreciate your comments, and suggestions.

I may not do anything to it, but I do also, prefer passive and lower output pickups, and figured there must be a simple way to redo the 3 tone controls without the preamp if I go that way. I haven't used it much and will certainly live with it for a bit before I make any decisions. The pic is not really showing the color, well.

It was mint when I got it (still is)with case for $400 and I do really like it, even though it's MIM. I have considered having a exact size body made and regarding your comments about getting another bass, I'm certain that will happen! LOL

I miss my P and my '97 American Std Jazz V, which was ash see-thru-blonde (though I called it oatmeal) basses. I really like the 60th Anniversary P and still would love to get a Hofner Club or a Guild StarFire for my 30" flatwound piece.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-fender-zone-bass-.jpg  

Last edited by mcintalker; 22nd September 2013 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: addition
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search