The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 12th August 2013
Gear Guru

Yeah well, one of the Hofner machines snapped where the string goes through the winding shaft, so back then, I decided to go with machines that would be both stronger and give me a choice of strings. The Labella Ultra Light short scales strings kept breaking on me.
Old 14th August 2013
Gear Guru

Just threw this together showing my '79 Schecter USA Custom Shop
Music also thrown together recorded with my Larrivee P-10 Parlor.

Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear
FFTT
I can't hear the bass at all.
Michael
Old 14th August 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
FFTT
I can't hear the bass at all.
Michael
No bass track just a pictorial slide show.
I do need to put together some more bass demos,
just too much hassle for this round.
Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear
So, now in my best Roseann Rosannah Danna voice...." Oh! Nevermind"..... It is a good looking bass to say the least.
and nice sounding Larivee, too.
Michael
Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear
What's the most beautiful grain wood?

I opt for the subtle beauty of Koa. Decided to order my new guitar body in Koa.
What do you chaps render as the best most stable neck wood?
I had all Koa wood guitar at one point and like an idiot I sold it to a promising talented player who ended up pawning it for drugs. Never again.
Thinking of doing my new neck in Koa as well but that is very expensive and other than looks not sure there is an advantage. But it sure is beautiful.
Old 14th August 2013
Gear Guru

My '79 Schecter has a single piece body of Hawaiian Koa.
The neck is solid Pau Ferro. Mighty fast too with a very stable, well seasoned Watco Danish Oil finish.
Old 14th August 2013
Gear Addict

All of my qswan necks are very stable , can't even remember when they needed an adjustment as well as all of the exotics I have , Wenge , Padouk , Ziricote are all very stiff and very stable . As for most stunning grain , perhaps Flame macassar ebony ?

Or maybe Walnut

Old 14th August 2013
Lives for gear
Man, those are beautiful!

Ever since my first Guild acoustic, a D40 Bluegrass Jubilee on my birthday (my present to me!)3/3/'68, I've thought that 3 or 5 piece necks "just had to be" better, and more stable. That one was, so were my Guild F50, F30, F512 and F212. Wouldn't it be nice, if someone made multi-piece bolt on necks for parts guitars...

maybe someone does and I am about to find out about that ! Cool! Fill me in....
Michael
Old 14th August 2013
Gear Guru

Nice!

Really beautiful woods there.
Old 14th August 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks Fellas , I know when I see wood like that forsale I start looking for my wallet..

funny though , I have a thing for plain Maple too

Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fretless View Post
All of my qswan necks are very stable , can't even remember when they needed an adjustment as well as all of the exotics I have , Wenge , Padouk , Ziricote are all very stiff and very stable . As for most stunning grain , perhaps Flame macassar ebony ?

[IMG]URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/freebass/media/gtr%20stuff/l13.jpg.html[/IMG]
Wow I think that is the most beautiful grain wood I have seen!! I have never heard of most of these woods much less where or how one finds them.
What the hell is qswan?? Zincote?? Wenge?? Are those earth woods?
Old 15th August 2013
All of them

At the moment the Tele, but that can change at any minute

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/...psa0b5332c.jpg
Old 15th August 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Wow I think that is the most beautiful grain wood I have seen!! I have never heard of most of these woods much less where or how one finds them.
i first saw ziricote on this guitar -which i don't own :-(

Richard Thompson
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quarter Sawn
Old 15th August 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Warmoth has all of these exotic woods and many quarter sawn offerings , be advised , enter with great caution and lock down the wallet first or many hundreds of dollars will fly through your fingers in the wink on an eye .

Here are a few Warmoth necks

Wenge , Padouk & ziricote

qsawn Maple

Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear
Can you compare Warmoth to other brands, like Mighty Mite and USA (?)out in WA or OR?
I don't remember where I got one of the necks for my red strat. The other is a CR2900 Mighty Mite and I am very pleased with it and the compound radius.
Michael
Old 15th August 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Can you compare Warmoth to other brands, like Mighty Mite and USA (?)out in WA or OR?
I don't remember where I got one of the necks for my red strat. The other is a CR2900 Mighty Mite and I am very pleased with it and the compound radius.
Michael
sorry no I've always gone with Warmoth , I have 7 or 8 of them now and all are excellent , all have ss 6230 frets except that Ziricote is GD6150's (gold) and all but the pointy with the Floyd nut have Warmoth nuts installed . Every one has been outstanding fret work , wood work and nut work . I would never even consider another neck replacement if needed . Add to that the shape and radius options along with the exotic woods . I have a Clapton , SRV , boat , standard and 2 x 32" med scale basses and they are as good as anything I've ever used . compared with my Suhr Classic J & custom order G&L SB1 , both have ss frets , qsawn and plek'd I would say they are all equals . I've heard folks say they needed to tweak the set up on their warmoth necks and true you usually need to finish them but all of the ones I bought have been perfect . I know some bassist don't like their rod stiffened necks but I do . Not one has ever let me down yet . big fan...
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear
Cool! I am very interested in 32" scale basses and saw that they have those!
I've had short and regular ones and would love to try one. ....Been looking at Japan Fender JB62M for a while...
Michael
Old 15th August 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Cool! I am very interested in 32" scale basses and saw that they have those!
I've had short and regular ones and would love to try one. ....Been looking at Japan Fender JB62M for a while...
Michael
these are my current favs , they are just so damn nice and comfortable to play and still sound "normal" to me whereas sometimes a short 30" can sound tubby but then again sometimes that fits just perfectly . Their short & med scale btw do Not have the stiffening rods in them .
They are also working on a 2x2 but I really dig their "warhead"

I added Luminlay side dots on this one too

Padouk warhead

Old 15th August 2013
Gear Guru

I like the understated elegance of the single pick-up smooth form.

So You're the one who keeps grabbing the knobs off the lamps in the lobby! :-)

Cool use for the control knobs.
Old 15th August 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
I like the understated elegance of the single pick-up smooth form.

So You're the one who keeps grabbing the knobs off the lamps in the lobby! :-)

Cool use for the control knobs.
Thanks , I'd love to get more of those knobs . They are Stainless and so finely cut they seem to be transparent . I scored them from the 'bay but they were made by Beck Guitars
Guitars - Beck Guitars - Ed Roman Guitars
Old 15th August 2013
Gear Guru

Oh Gee, I guess Bee Bop Deluxe could use those on "Axe Victim" :-)

Old 15th August 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Oh Gee, I guess Bee Bop Deluxe could use those on "Axe Victim" :-)

if they could actually pick them up .
Old 15th August 2013
Gear Addict

I'm crazy for a nice set of knobs and also really like Aluminum Sadowsky style knobs on a bass .
Knobs - Best Bass Gear
Old 15th August 2013
Gear Guru

The one thing I did not show in too much detail is the condition of the gold finish on my Schecter PJ. My fingers are acidic as can be and this finish did not hold up.

Chrome, Brushed Stainless, Black, nothing that will corrode.

I like the understated top of neck dots, but mine are done in solid silver.
Old 15th August 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
The one thing I did not show in too much detail is the condition of the gold finish on my Schecter PJ. My fingers are acidic as can be and this finish did not hold up.

Chrome, Brushed Stainless, Black, nothing that will corrode.

I like the understated top of neck dots, but mine are done in solid silver.
That is a killer bass and stunning to look at . Some damn fine builders were in their shop in that era.
Old 15th August 2013
Lives for gear
Thanks for the info/opinion on the 32" scale tone. What strings do you use on those? I was imagining half rounds on the medium scale, flats on 30" and round wounds (I had been using GHS on my G&L L1000. I like what ever is on the Zone, at the moment) on 34".

Recently I found out that Guild has re-released the StarFire bass and that might be a toss up between it and the Hofner Club, for my 30" plans. I am going to look into the Warmoth RE the medium scale, thanks to your enthusiasm. I have bought lots of smaller parts (no necks or bodies) over a long period. Good Company!

http://www.guildguitars.com/instrume...tno=3792400866

Michael

Last edited by mcintalker; 15th August 2013 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: omission
Old 15th August 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the info/opinion on the 32" scale tone. What strings do you use on those? I was imagining half rounds on the medium scale, flats on 30" and round wounds (I had been using GHS on my G&L L1000. I like what ever is on the Zone, at the moment) on 34".

Recently I found out that Guild has re-released the StarFire bass and that might be a toss up between it and the Hofner Club, for my 30" plans. I am going to look into the Warmoth RE the medium scale, thanks to your enthusiasm. I have bought lots of smaller parts (no necks or bodies) over a long period. Good Company!

Guild® Guitars | Instrument Details

Michael
for med scale I use
D'Addario EXL220M Nickel Wound Bass 40-95's

34" scale I use R Cocco Nickel 40-100's ( best strings ever ! )

and on the Dingwall I use Circle k strings which are fantastic

every once in awhile I will throw a set of flats on the P , I usually just grab some Fender flats which are nice .

On my old Hofner I used pyramid strings which have "that" sound
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Nut

1988 Fender '52 tele reissue. '88 was the first year they released the tele reissues. I'm the original owner and will never part with it. I've had so many offers...
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-imageuploadedbygearslutz1376794254.860772.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search