The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear
In the mid 70's ('71- to '84), I lived west of Kalamazoo, MI, and would go to visit the Gibson factory. Tim Shaw was always gracious and generous with his time. He would always show me the latest custom project guitars for stars and his own pickup projects, too.
That was a fun period for me.

IMO you gotta have a Les Paul, Strat and a Tele, and something(s) Gretsch. But I am from my period! LOL
Old 9th August 2013
Gear Guru

Oh man, wish I could find the photo of the cream white '84 Custom Shop ES-335 Dot
that got away. Just couldn't raise the cash fast enough.
Old 10th August 2013
Gear Addict

my new build with a Warmoth Snakehead & Fender FSR swirl . Chopper T in the bridge and Fast Track 1 in the neck . \m/
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

Nice
Is that a 'wreck clone?
Old 10th August 2013
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deng View Post
I have a couple of MIM strats that I modded, one with DiMarzio Area 61/58/58, the other with set of Vintage Hot Noiseless as I felt the standard PU had no distinct character, The MIM are pretty great axes for the price.
One of my bucket list was to own a CS to make up for the one that got away ( my dad got me a '62 Fiesta Red Strat when I was 13 and gigging). Finally found a new CS '69 NOS sunburst Time Machine Series (1/2 price cos of published onlione price error) and it plays like a dream. To be honest I like the tone of the hot noiseless best out of the 3. As they say the audience wont know the difference.

Awhile ago I went to a Fender showcase, Greg Koch,demod and played a MIM, a AM standard and a CS thru the same amp. The AM sounded a tad tonally nicer than the MIM. To my ears the CS sounded best, the tone was sweet with a distinct breadth and depth. I personally do not think its worth all that extra money. I'll get rid of it when I tire of it as my son prefers HBs
Thats my 00.02

I may do the MIM, I can always swap Pups, it is the build quality I was worried about, and you say they are good so I may go for it..

PS. great looking guitars you have! I have always liked the strat look.
Old 10th August 2013
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
In the mid 70's ('71- to '84), I lived west of Kalamazoo, MI, and would go to visit the Gibson factory. Tim Shaw was always gracious and generous with his time. He would always show me the latest custom project guitars for stars and his own pickup projects, too.
That was a fun period for me.

IMO you gotta have a Les Paul, Strat and a Tele, and something(s) Gretsch. But I am from my period! LOL
I live in MI. By the bay!
Old 10th August 2013
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretless View Post

my new build with a Warmoth Snakehead & Fender FSR swirl . Chopper T in the bridge and Fast Track 1 in the neck . \m/
How do you like those Dual rail Pups? I was thinking of throwing one in the Bridge on my fernandez strat. Beautiful guitar you have there
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear
I'm west of Traverse City at the southern end of Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Park, in Benzie County, the prettiest one in Michigan. I haven't been to the Keewenaw Peninsula yet, however! LOL

Has anybody tried the Duncan P-Rails?
@fretless Man that is wild and colorful! I've see the Rocket logo before but can't remember what brand that is.

Michael
Old 10th August 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks Fellas ! That is a Wreck Rocket clone , built by one of the lads at Amp Garage using all the correct trannys and whatnot . It's a monster of an amp . Larry Mann aka Distortion did the wood work . The rail in that axe are killer , very PAF-ish , the necks Fast Track 1 has a hint of stratyness . It's a very healthy guitar . The pups are also splitable though I didn't do it here but if you wanted to it can be done .
Old 10th August 2013
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Fellas ! That is a Wreck Rocket clone , built by one of the lads at Amp Garage using all the correct trannys and whatnot . It's a monster of an amp . Larry Mann aka Distortion did the wood work . The rail in that axe are killer , very PAF-ish , the necks Fast Track 1 has a hint of stratyness . It's a very healthy guitar . The pups are also splitable though I didn't do it here but if you wanted to it can be done .
One word...AWESOME! OK Two words...WANT
Old 10th August 2013
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
I'm west of Traverse City at the southern end of Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Park, in Benzie County, the prettiest one in Michigan. I haven't been to the Keewenaw Peninsula yet, however! LOL

Has anybody tried the Duncan P-Rails?
@fretless Man that is wild and colorful! I've see the Rocket logo before but can't remember what brand that is.

Michael
yes it is very pretty over there,I have a friend that live in GR... nothing like the Dump called Saginaw I live next to!
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear
I used to live in South Haven west of K'zoo and gig and shop the music stores in GR, Holland, Grand Haven, Battle Creek St Joe, Niles and all across the top of Indiana and Chicago ( where I'm from).
I've played in Saginaw, some hotel band gig and shopped at the music stores. I also did a bunch of grade school gigs, as a singer-songwriter storyteller. ....all over MI literally! ....and almost all the U.P., some in Ohio.
This is great here, though we talk about moving to milder winters-summers, a lot!
LOL
Michael
Old 11th August 2013
Lives for gear
Seriously all the guitar makers have got to get hip to this swirl paint job thing Fender has jumped on, that is just too cool. Daddy like!
Old 11th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice guit. And love the tiger maple amp too
Old 11th August 2013
Gear Guru

Did you do the Kirchen mod or did it come that way?
Old 11th August 2013
Gear Guru

My beloved '64 Fender Jazz Bass

Old 11th August 2013
Here for the gear

Old 11th August 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks Fellas ! I wired it that way , it was after watching him though .
Old 11th August 2013
Here for the gear

made this guitar when I was in high school :

The body is a solid piece of maple

PAF

Scalloped Charvel neck

Old 11th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
My beloved '64 Fender Jazz Bass

Sweet! Original finish?
Old 12th August 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Sweet! Original finish?
YUP!

Natural road relic'd

Kept the painted finish protected with Mother's Original Carnauba Wax
because my hands were so acidic.

Body Finish, Pickups, Electronics all original.

Badass Bridge because original threaded bridge saddles were cutting into strings
and breaking them. Still have it for safety.

Currently lining up Fender Authorized Gold Level Facility to restore what used to be the matching Red headstock to period correct.
Old 12th August 2013
Gear Guru

With the flash photo, you can see the natural checking and the natural yellowing of the pick guard.
Also the finish has thinned where my wrist or fingers have reacted with the finish over time.
Also that it's time to clean the bridge :-)

Old 12th August 2013
Lives for gear
FFTT
You've got me thinking "oh, wouldn't it be nice to have some of my old guitars back!" LOL
My (high school era)2nd band's bassist's candy apple red with matching headstock was the first one I got to play. It was a 1966 -we all went with when he bought it. It was a big deal!

Michael
Old 12th August 2013
Gear Guru

I bought this bass in 1973 for $250.00 cash from the bass player for the Marine Band stationed at the oldest Marine Barracks in Washington D.C.
He wanted a new Les Paul Studio Bass. :-)

This was my main bass for my entire working band career.
Old 12th August 2013
Gear Addict

Awesome bass !
Old 12th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Currently lining up Fender Authorized Gold Level Facility to restore what used to be the matching Red headstock to period correct.
That'd be nice! I've got a '69 Strat, maplecap, that was half-assed refinished black in a previous life. I've been thinking about getting it restored to its original white by a Fender-authorized painter.
Old 12th August 2013
Lives for gear
Since I always gigged on guitar -acoustics for solo and small groups, plus electrics for rock, country, blues and jazz bands- my first bass was a Fender MusicMaster which I modded a bunch; Badass, DiMarzio Jazz bass with push pulls for tapping them, some nice Schaller tuners, and a custom designed pickguard (b/w/b). That turned out great, traded that for a '72 P natural, sold that, bought a G&L L1000 that had neck issues though, which I screwed around with for years, because it sounded so good. Recently sold that and got NOS Fender Zone MIM that I am pretty pleased with, though I think about modding that, too! LOL
About 2003 I also had a '97 Fender Jazz V Am Std that was very nice. See through blonde on ash, 5 tuners in a line. I wish I would've kept that one.
I also experiment ( on tracks vs live) with 30" baritones. A Dano singlecut, then a Jerry Jones Longhorn Bass6 and now a Schecter HellCat Vi. I probably will have to get a Fender Bass VI, too! LOL Even though the nut is too narrow. Washburn came out with a 30" acoustic/electric baritone called the Lakeside for like $600 or less.
That one's fun!
Michael
Old 12th August 2013
Gear Guru

I put together this little pictorial of the challenge facing me ahead.
I have finally located someone qualified and authorized to help me restore the head stocks to as period correct as possible. I can't undo what was done, but my Jazz turns 50 next year and the time has come. The Hofner will hopefully be easier than it looks to restore.

This shows us all that Bad Things can happen to Great Guitars

Old 12th August 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
That'd be nice! I've got a '69 Strat, maplecap, that was half-assed refinished black in a previous life. I've been thinking about getting it restored to its original white by a Fender-authorized painter.
The key words are "Fender Gold Level"

There are only a handful across the country.
I chose to go with someone recommended by Fender Consumer Relations
with that level of repair expertise but also driving distance from me.

To ship either bass, I would have to find a lockable flight case plus shipping, plus insurance, plus a lot of worry.

I'll keep you guys updated as time goes on.
Little by little. No more new gear or new toys till this is done.
Old 12th August 2013
Gear Guru

Good luck with it -- definitely worth doing! The Hofner, especially, needs to get its dignity back. With those tuners, it looks like a 4-eared moose.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search