The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Guru

I told Tom I wanted a bass worthy of John Entwistle after hearing he was custom building guitars for The Who.
The body is a solid piece of Hawaiian Koa, It took him 6 months just to find that piece of Koa nice enough and strong enough for a one piece body.
Neck is early 60's Tele Bass Cut, solid Pau Ferro,
Push Pull mild, aggressive passive PU's, Solid Silver dot inlays on top of neck.

My '64 Jazz is still my favorite and my go to for recording, but the Schecter has a place for sure.

Made this short camera mic only demo when I first got the Reeves 225

Old 7th August 2013
Lives for gear
Nice! It sounds great and you play well, too.
That's a great Schecter story. I didn't know Anderson worked there. Very cool!

I love Gold Lace Sensors and plan to put some in my currently EMG's strat. My other one has Fralin Split Blades, which I really love!

My main high school band bassist bought a Hofner around '65 or '66, though he immediately traded it for a candy apple red Jazz Bass.
I prefer P bass a little bit more, though I miss my American Std Jazz V! .....and I'd love to get a Hofner Club bass. I currently only have one Schecter; a Hellcat VI, which is just right! Mine has the mini-humbuckers with the tap push-pull. I may rewire it, to do the Bass VI 4 way switch thing, like newer Hellcat VI's.
Michael
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Guru

Tom Anderson founded Schecter USA and started out sort of like Warmouth just selling upscale wood bodies, parts and hardware but in 78-79 he began building complete custom
one offs on special order, like mine.

If I remember correctly, mine was $1600.00 in 1979 dollars, so nothing at all like todays Schecter.
Old 7th August 2013
Lives for gear
Wow. This is like Paul Harvey....now I know the rest of the story! LOL
Thanks
Very cool!
Michael
Old 8th August 2013
Gear Maniac

Here are my favorite 2. The ASAT is over 20 years old and it's my baby. I had enough money to buy a Fernandes strat, but saw this and asked if I could play it, then asked if they had a lay-away program. I've been using the Legacy Special playing in my friend's country band. I know I'm bass-ackards, but today's country ain't nothing but rehashed rock, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-dsc01761.jpg  
Old 8th August 2013
Here for the gear

These are all my favorites. They each have a great history in my life.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-image.jpg  
Old 8th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzjamer View Post
Yeah I really need some intervention...this will show about half the guitars. Rest are in cases and other rooms. I can't put them all out at once.

bluz
Showed this to my wife. She no longer is upset by my small collection.

Old 8th August 2013
Lives for gear
After going through a major and long financial fall, I am very glad to have ANY guitars! My pile got up to 34 over the past 5 decades (today is my 50th anniversary of playing guitar!). So many favorites are long gone. So, I am in the "all are my favorites!" camp, too.
I have sold off the G&L L1000. I've added a Martin GPCPA5K and a Fender Mando-strat. My Yamaha Pacifica 12 will get "traded" for a new wider nut electric 12 (I have favorites, but I'm working that out). I wonder how I'll replace and upgrade the Les Paul, Gretsch, Tele, Guild, and Martin, Taylor, Fender Springhill and Galloup handmade acoustics , but this is an exciting time to be a musician- gear wise!
Michael
ps if my picture doesn't post
1. sunburst maple cap ash Strat Fralin Split Blades, SuperVee Blade Runner
2. parts stat with EMG SV and tremsetter, intonated nut
3. Epiphone NightHawk
4. Yamaha Pacifica electric 12 with intonated nut
5. Schecter Hellcat VI
6. Morgan Monroe Rocky Top F mandolin -intonated nut
7. Fender Zone bass
8. Gibson BR-4 lap steel 1947
9. Takamine nylon -intonated nut
10. Epiphone PR735 acoustic -intonated nut
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-electrics-basses-mandolin-oct12.jpg  

Last edited by mcintalker; 8th August 2013 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 8th August 2013
Gear Guru

I'm still missing something with P-90s and something with TV Jones.
I'm keeping flats on my valuable vintage stuff to prevent fret wear.

My Ibanez sounds equally great with 11 flats or round wound 10's,
but for $629.00 with hardshell case, it sounds way more like a 335, than a jazz guitar and the fit and finish and playability was better than several $3000.00 Gibsons I tried.

The greatest problem was finding guitars with a floating bridge that were set up even close in the stores. Some had strings literally dragging on the frets.

My fingers are short, so buying a 5 string bass just didn't work for me, so I've set
up my Schecter with the low 4 strings of a 5 string set, running B E A D

As long as you know how to re-adjust action and intonation, changing string types & gauges can do wonders to alter the timbre of the instrument.

When you think back to early Beatles & Stones sounds, a lot of those guitars were
set up with flats.
Old 8th August 2013
Lives for gear
That's what gets me about the huge collections, the issue of stringing them much less maintenance. How on earth does one have the time to do a full setup on them to make them playable? I have spent two days on a new guitar, hyper tuning it, even neck shim tilt on bolt ons. String height, pickup height and accurate intonation, on a bunch of guitars; I think I would die attempting it.
I would be happy if could afford that many sets of strings.
Old 8th August 2013
Lives for gear
At my peak, I had 34 and that was too many, for those very reasons. I am much calmer now! Especially at this age and this long at it. LOL
How to cover the P90's and TV Jones is also something I am working out, as I pare down the list to ones, I know I would love to play everyday, record with and restring! LOL

I would love to replace my Guild Starfire III with maybe an X175 with Bigsby and flatwounds or an Artist Award! I would baby that one! LOL

Michael

Last edited by mcintalker; 8th August 2013 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear
Who makes the flatwounds?
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear
I have a set of D'Addario Chromes that I haven't put on yet. I know GHS, and others do, too. LaBella used to be the big name there, and they probably still make them, too.
Michael

Last edited by mcintalker; 9th August 2013 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 9th August 2013
Gear Guru

D' Addario or Thomastik-Infeld if you can afford them.

Fender still makes flats for bass
Labella & Pyramid too.

Just keep in mind 11 or 12 Flats do not bend the way you're used to with 9's or 10's
especially on short scale necks.
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear
Yeah, you got that right! Sometimes I put foam under my regular sets to sound flatwound, so I can still bend like I expect to!
Old 9th August 2013
Gear Guru

For me priority is keeping flats on my vintage basses to reduce any more fret wear,
plus flats record better.

Rickenbacker went to tougher frets on the 4003 bass because the popularity of Roto-Sound Round Wounds was tearing up the frets on the 4001's

The frets on older vintage guitars should be considered equally endangered.
Old 9th August 2013
RTR
Lives for gear

i only have a Fernandez right now..plan on buying a new guitar next week..I am no pro, and I can not make up my mind. I am stuck between the Fender MIM standard, and the American Special. Any thoughts on either one by people that own one of them would be great!
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-special.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-standard-plus-top.jpg  
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear
I used to use GHS half rounds on my (then) '72 P bass. I did it for the tone, but you're right .... fret wear is a great reason to use them and not have to replace your frets as often!
On my previous bass a G&L L1000 (1980), I used GHS Boomers and that sounded so good! Especially up high for "solo" sections .....it just sang. Alas the neck sucked and I spent $450 trying to get it to straighten out. I sold it cheap and am looking at this Zone, thinking I love the neck and 7/8ths P bass body.....what about refinishing it see thru honey blonde and changing the pickups and active preamp?

We'll see. I seem to do that kind of stuff often. LOL
Michael
Old 9th August 2013
RTR
Lives for gear

the bass strings i really like are the D'Addario chromes
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear
I'll check them out. RTR
What kind of music do you play? Do you need a Floyd Rose?

I always buy the guitar that feels best in my hand, though I have bought a number of hard to find (for me here, where I live) guitars online ...eBay, and lucked out. Maybe it's really intuition, hunch, or inspired action!

Play them both and trust your gut.
Michael
Old 9th August 2013
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
I'll check them out. RTR
What kind of music do you play? Do you need a Floyd Rose?

I always buy the guitar that feels best in my hand, though I have bought a number of hard to find (for me here, where I live) guitars online ...eBay, and lucked out. Maybe it's really intuition, hunch, or inspired action!

Play them both and trust your gut.
Michael
I tried a lot of guitars at my local music store, the BEST feeling was a cheap Parker, was really light and the neck felt nice and thin, BUT it is a cheap guitar, I want something that will last. I have always liked strats and feel I would not regret buying a strat, but I want a half way decent one. I bought an American standard Pbass a few years ago and it was very nice, but I dont think it was 1000$ nicer than the Vintage modified squier I had before it. thats why these 2 guitars are on my list instead of an American standard. I would like to be able to use the whammy bar once in a while, but I dont know if an extra 200 bucks is worth the Floyd rose, are the regular ones really that bad when it comes to knocking it out of tune? Thanks for your input!!

I play classic rock type stuff, thats my style anyhow!

Edit: I thought I had a lightly used set of the chromes laying around but I cant find them...If I do I can send them to you so you dont have to buy a set.
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear
Thanks for the offer!

I built both of the strats I have now and this last one is killer. Every part is just right for me. I probably have $1,000 into it with expert help from my local repair guy Dan Kelchak (kelchakguitars.com). I couldn't find one with those particular features for several grand, I imagine.
The SuperVee Blade Runner fits on a regular Strat and makes it come to life in terms of sustain (even Mexican ones!) and is a great whammy, too. Plenty for me.

Never got to try a Parker, though I want to.

Michael
Old 9th August 2013
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the offer!

I built both of the strats I have now and this last one is killer. Every part is just right for me. I probably have $1,000 into it with expert help from my local repair guy Dan Kelchak (kelchakguitars.com). I couldn't find one with those particular features for several grand, I imagine.
The SuperVee Blade Runner fits on a regular Strat and makes it come to life in terms of sustain (even Mexican ones!) and is a great whammy, too. Plenty for me.

Never got to try a Parker, though I want to.

Michael
Thanks, I will look into the bridge! The parker I played was the cheap 500 dollar one, but man was it light and the neck felt so thin and easy to play, almost like a toy, the looks turned me off at first, I am not really into weird looking guitars, NO..I do not like the V's either, I like the strat look. I dont think I will be dive bombing or anything with my guitar, but I would still like to be able to touch the whammy bar without it going out of tune.
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear
I've read that even Squires and MIM strats improve a lot with the Super Vee Blade Runner, because you actually mount the base directly to the body.

Mine sounds like a super strat sustain and tone wise. With my blender pot and a bass roll off I get a great range of tones, no noise and almost don't need a Tele (though I still WANT one LOL). Check out this video, it got my interest up, plus I read reviews and then jumped. I'm putting another one on my other older Strat, too. Too much improvement, not to do it.

Michael Reese's Super-Vee BladeRunner tremolo Demo - YouTube
Enjoy!
Michael
Old 9th August 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
... I get a great range of tones, no noise and almost don't need a Tele (though I still WANT one LOL).
That setup looks great, but it doesn't get rid of the springs. The springs are my least favorite thing about Strats, and the reason why I'd still need a Tele if I didn't already have one.
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear

Early 90's G&L ASAT Classic and S-500

Early 00's Musicman Axis Sports

Mid 90's Alembic Orion Baritone

Mid 00's Custom Warr 8-string tap guitar
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
i only have a Fernandez right now..plan on buying a new guitar next week..I am no pro, and I can not make up my mind. I am stuck between the Fender MIM standard, and the American Special. Any thoughts on either one by people that own one of them would be great!
I have a couple of MIM strats that I modded, one with DiMarzio Area 61/58/58, the other with set of Vintage Hot Noiseless as I felt the standard PU had no distinct character, The MIM are pretty great axes for the price.
One of my bucket list was to own a CS to make up for the one that got away ( my dad got me a '62 Fiesta Red Strat when I was 13 and gigging). Finally found a new CS '69 NOS sunburst Time Machine Series (1/2 price cos of published onlione price error) and it plays like a dream. To be honest I like the tone of the hot noiseless best out of the 3. As they say the audience wont know the difference.

Awhile ago I went to a Fender showcase, Greg Koch,demod and played a MIM, a AM standard and a CS thru the same amp. The AM sounded a tad tonally nicer than the MIM. To my ears the CS sounded best, the tone was sweet with a distinct breadth and depth. I personally do not think its worth all that extra money. I'll get rid of it when I tire of it as my son prefers HBs
Thats my 00.02

Old 9th August 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deng View Post

Lefty strung righty. Cool. In the mirror you'll look like Hendrix. Why does the black one have a second strap button?
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear

Lefty strung righty. Cool. In the mirror you'll look like Hendrix. Why does the black one have a second strap button?

Brent, your pretty sharp
Lefty guitars were non existent or specially ordered when I learnt how to play
My elder bros has righties as a lefty I played it upside down ala Albert King,
Eric Gales and a host of others. Hence I found double cutaway guitars more suitable.
Old 9th August 2013
Gear Guru

My '85 Les Paul Studio Standard Dot with Shaw PAFs

The blue lighting was from my coleman rechargeable lantern.

As you can see unlike most studios, this one is fully bound neck and body.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search