The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longer View Post
Hi! Been lurking, but this is my first post. Had to share my fav guitar, a Rick Kelly one off. Cheers!
Nice pine. Must be old framing timber from NYC Bowery, right?
Old 23rd July 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
I like the sound of Teles, but would never buy a 3 Roller Bridge assembly on a new build
with far better quality, precision 6 roller bridges available.

I know the 3 roller can be bent to approximate close intonation, but I prefer precision
adjustments for each roller and each string.
Not sure what you mean by "roller", but on 6 saddle vs 3 saddle... 2 strings per saddle results in increased saddle pressure on the bridge, which some say leads to better sustain and tone. With compensated saddles, you get these supposed benefits without intonation issues. Plus, I think they just look cooler too! A win/win/ in my book.
Old 23rd July 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Nice pine. Must be old framing timber from NYC Bowery, right?
Close enough! These are from the Chelsea & Chumley's, but the concept is the same. Over 150 year old pine that just resonates forever. I have other great guitars, but this one blows my mind whenever I play her.
Old 30th July 2013
Here for the gear

My favourite guitar is now my newest guitar - the one I have been waiting 20 years for

Old 30th July 2013
Gear Maniac

What a beaut... I know the feeling (see above). Congrats.
Old 30th July 2013
Here for the gear

A better look at the quilt...

Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear
Ever wonder why we do not need to adjust intonation on an acoustic??
Why is that, I find it puzzling.

I've never understood how one intonates a TEL with those dual saddles. Especially a 6th string, forget it.
Old 30th July 2013
Gear Addict

Here's the one's I use the most:
Old 30th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral James T. View Post

A man of wealth and taste :-)
Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Someone likes hollow bodies! They are lovely. Must be a small fortune hanging on that wall!
Old 31st July 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OktoberStorm View Post
Someone likes hollow bodies! They are lovely. Must be a small fortune hanging on that wall!
I've got a '72 custom Tele and a Danelectro u2 (or something) that I both use quite a lot. Those are the only solidbodies I use though...
By the way, all those guitars and basses weren't really expensive, and I collected 'em over the last 20 years. So you can get a nice guitar collection without being ritch
Old 4th August 2013
Lives for gear
Added a Seymour Duncan Everything Axe prewired pickguard assembly to my kit guitar. Gold anodized pickguard is pretty sweet.
Working on a new body and neck.

Not very pretty but drips tone.
Old 4th August 2013
Lives for gear

My Current favourites...

Old 4th August 2013
Lives for gear
Brian May Red Special

this is THE guitar. for me, of course. an Ibanez Tube Screamer, a chorus, 1, 2 or 3 Vox AC30TB and you are done ... :-)) I mean, I am done ... :-)
Old 4th August 2013
Here for the gear

I know that sig models get **** on a lot, but I don't care, I fell in love with it before I realized it was. only change I've made to it is I swapped in a Mastery bridge.
Old 5th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post

this is THE guitar. for me, of course. an Ibanez Tube Screamer, a chorus, 1, 2 or 3 Vox AC30TB and you are done ... :-)) I mean, I am done ... :-)
Cool pic, my wife liked that one. Beautiful axe and cat.
Old 5th August 2013
Lives for gear
Do you hollow body users get any feedback issues?
Old 5th August 2013
Here for the gear

Its a 1984 Ibanez Roadstar 2 with the oiled neck finish.
I HATE that it has all black hardware, but I honestly didn't think I'd love this guitar.
I got this in a trade thinking it was worth ALOT more than the pedal I traded for it, but it is a MIJ beast.
I have the dimarzio PAF copy wired in parallel so that the output matches the single coils.
This is an awesome guitar, and it sounds phenomenal.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-imageuploadedbygearslutz1375684222.545441.jpg  
Old 5th August 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I use the Gretsch White Falcon for most of my live gigs - call it some Rock'n'Roll based Beat/Punk/Pop thing or whatever, can get loud. No problems with feedback, though I can make it feed if I want to. For my rockabilly band I use the orange Gretsch 6120 which has more depth, so more danger of feedback, but less distorted sounds - no problems. The "used-to-be-green" Gretsch single anniversary is my main "feedback machine" as it is kinda deep plus lighter built. If I want to get some sweet mellow jazzy tones I grab it, if I need some weird sonic youth feedback orgies I grab it as well.
There are quite a lot guitarists using hollow bodies for rock/punk/metal out there. If it's not ultra high gain then it's fine I guess.
Old 5th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use the Gretsch White Falcon for most of my live gigs - call it some Rock'n'Roll based Beat/Punk/Pop thing or whatever, can get loud. No problems with feedback, though I can make it feed if I want to. For my rockabilly band I use the orange Gretsch 6120 which has more depth, so more danger of feedback, but less distorted sounds - no problems. The "used-to-be-green" Gretsch single anniversary is my main "feedback machine" as it is kinda deep plus lighter built. If I want to get some sweet mellow jazzy tones I grab it, if I need some weird sonic youth feedback orgies I grab it as well.
There are quite a lot guitarists using hollow bodies for rock/punk/metal out there. If it's not ultra high gain then it's fine I guess.

I play an Aria 335 copy, and this rarely feedbacks unless I want it to. I frequently use a shedload of distortion, and it doesnt cause a problem. Much less deep than Gretsches of course. Love hollow bodies. Must own a nice orange Gretsch some day!
Old 5th August 2013
Lives for gear
I love Gretshes! My "next purchase list" has 3. LOL 6120TM, 6119HT-62 (to replace my first '61 Tennessean) and 6121 or 6128T.

I used to do some jazz gigs with a Guild Starfire III and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe LTD -the brown with oxblood grille version with a Jensen. I couldn't really get the tone I hoped for without howling low end feedback, even at fairly low volumes. I always had my EMG SA loaded strat with, so no problem, just annoyance.
I think I started taking a Music Man RD110 fifty, instead. I had a dozen amps, back then and don't recall.

Michael

Last edited by mcintalker; 5th August 2013 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: additional info
Old 5th August 2013
Gear Addict

1988 MIJ Strat. I need to take a new photo as his was taken a few years ago right after I bought it. I've since changed the pickguard to a single ply, the pickups, pu covers, knobs, pots, and string guides. It has a heavy ash body and my favorite neck. I can just play this all day.
Old 6th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
I remember guys stuffing them with foam to tame the feedback, like Nugent.
Some good tones to be sure. Duffy in the Cult used to use that huge guitar, not sure what it was as I do not know the models of that style.
Love some of those mellow jazz tones. Just seems when the gain cranks and the sensitivity increases if you're near the amp or angled to it in a certain way, feedback. Nugent used to walk the stage and mark where he needed to stand to get the right usable feedback for sustain.
I've always liked the Strat or the LP, I have a more traditional like of the thin sexy line Strat or the classic LP look.
Old 6th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
my guitar (Brian May Red Special) doesnt seem to be hollow, but in fact, she is a semi acoustic without f-holes. so feedback: yes, and only intended and on every single note I want her to feedback. on big stages, I could have her play alone ... :-)))

so, at home I can get her to feedback at very low levels, on medium to bigger stages I have to be careful and never have the volume knob on and no hand on the strings. uncontrollable feedback only when it is extremely loud and I push the pickups onto a speaker grill or something like that.
Old 6th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Cool pic, my wife liked that one. Beautiful axe and cat.
yeah, its my favorite pic of the guitar. in fact, the cat isnt scripted. the cat got everytime into focus, when it saw someone holding a cam. :-)) so it was clear, that the taking of the pic wouldnt get along without the cat ... :-) fortunately the cat matches the colors of the guitar ... :-)) its not a black/white pic.
Old 6th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
I remember guys stuffing them with foam to tame the feedback, like Nugent.
Nugent stuffs foam not only into his guitars. hear him talking and you know where the other foam goes ... :-(

sorry, couldnt resist ... not when TN is mentioned ...
Old 6th August 2013
Lives for gear
Yeah, it would be nice to stuff something into him to shut him up! I've had enough "feedback" from Ted, already! LOL
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Guru

Partial Family Photo

Old 7th August 2013
Lives for gear
@FFTT Well, that is a nice round pallet of paintbrushes!
1.Are the basses, parts guitars? Or?
2. Flatwounds ? on the Ibanez?
3. what is the Ampex looking preamp in the rack?
My buddy swears by his Ampeg guitar amps.
Michael
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Guru

Nope all guitars the real deal.

'64 Fender Jazz Bass, '85 Gibson LP Dot Studio Standard with Shaws, '79 Schecter USA Custom Shop PJ built by Tom Anderson, 2005 Ibanez AF105NT, Larrivee P-10 Parlor. '93 Fender Strat Plus with Gold lace sensors.

'64 Ampeg R12R-M '65 Gemini I, Reeves Custom 225 on top of '73 SVT 8X10 with CTS AlNiCos, Bad Cat Hot Cat 100R Custom Shop (one of a kind) Vintone solid Cherry Oval Back cab, now loaded with Fane AXA12 & Medusa 150-C
1952 Ampex 403-P mic preamp with Peerless Transformers.

Not shown, my German '66 Hofner 501
Mom brought it home for my 14th B-Day in 1967.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search