The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 15th April 2013
  #331
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintalker View Post
@darkhorse What size would that be? My wife is the graphic's artist-photographer at our house, but she is teaching me more all the time and I now know how to resize pics, so I'd like to know.
Thanks Michael
On my photo gallery when I upload cam pics you can open the picture using photo editor and it has an option to resize, "webpage" is what you want, not too big or too small for these windows.
Old 15th April 2013
  #332
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
On my photo gallery when I upload cam pics you can open the picture using photo editor and it has an option to resize, "webpage" is what you want, not too big or too small for these windows.
Thanks darkhorse! How simple!
Old 16th April 2013
  #333
Lives for gear
Yep. I always crop mine a little and adjust the auto contrast so resize is just another button. Technology these says is quiet amazing. Anyone remember cameras with film? What progression in just my lifetime.
Old 20th April 2013
  #334
Deleted User
Guest
I have a Gibson Les Paul Sonex from 1980 and I love it. Even if it's not 100% made of wood, it sounds great. Here's a pic of it:

Show your FAV GUITAR...-mqdefault.jpg

And here you can hear it in action:

Fabian Jehnen - Guitar On A Rainy Day - YouTube
Old 20th April 2013
  #335
Lives for gear
I love discussion and arguments about "tonewoods" on electrics. I am of the observation that an electric guitar is 95% setup, strings and most importantly pickups, more so than types of woods and fingerboards.
Wood may have a lot to do with the projection and sustain of acoustic guitars but electrics seem to be more pickups than anything. Even finishes, like a guitar cannot sound good with a poly finish verses an old nitrocellulose. Myth and lore?

Every electric I ever had sounded great because it had great pickups and never mattered on what wood it was made or the fingerboard. I can see the physics equation of mass and heavy, sustains string vibration but also had some very light guitars that played and sounded amazingly. I say pickups are the prime mover.
Old 20th April 2013
  #336
Here for the gear
 

mid-90s Fender Foto Flame 60s reissue, made in Japan. I got mine on Craigslist for $350. The guy said he got 50+ calls about it after I contacted him. People seem to like them.

The bridge is pretty rusty, I bought a Callaham to replace it with but haven't switched it out yet. The frets were pretty worn so I also had it re-fretted with 6105 mediums. I have never been a huge fan of the teeny vintage frets and this upgrade makes the guitar much more playable. I've always liked the 50s and 60s reissues and this MIJ is one of the best I've seen.

Old 20th April 2013
  #337
Here for the gear
 

I love all my guitars but this is definitely the most favorite one

1997 Tokai Love Rock LS-320

Old 21st April 2013
  #338
My 25/50 Les Paul Custom...


Bringing me joy since my 16th birthday
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-gibson-les-paul.jpg  
Old 21st April 2013
  #339
Eat
Lives for gear
 

nice tokai love rock! here's mine... circa '83-'84 i think



Old 21st April 2013
  #340
Here for the gear
 

My first post on gearslutz after lurking for years. This is my Zion Classic. I had it built in 2006.
Old 22nd April 2013
  #341
Lives for gear
Wow, this thread has like 40,000 views
I am thinking this whole guitar thing is catching on
Old 27th April 2013
  #342
Gear Nut
 

The only guitar I have that's worth showing off is this '70s Hondo II Longhorn:

I got it for $75 at the thrift shop. It has 31 frets and a great sound. The humbucker is much better than any other pickup I've tried. It can be on at full volume and you wouldn't even know until you start playing. The guitar also has (togglable) built in fuzz, which sounds really nice with or without amp distortion.
Old 27th April 2013
  #343
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk of Heaven View Post
The only guitar I have that's worth showing off is this '70s Hondo II Longhorn:

I got it for $75 at the thrift shop. It has 31 frets and a great sound. The humbucker is much better than any other pickup I've tried. It can be on at full volume and you wouldn't even know until you start playing. The guitar also has (togglable) built in fuzz, which sounds really nice with or without amp distortion.
What in the world??? 31 frets, how cool is that? $75, man, I need to start hitting the shops.
Old 27th April 2013
  #344
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
What in the world??? 31 frets, how cool is that? $75, man, I need to start hitting the shops.
Yeah, it's probably worth around a thousand. I saw one that went for 600 and it was in much worse condition and didn't have a case.

That shop also gave me a Silvertone SRK1 for $50, which was another sweet deal.
Old 28th April 2013
  #345
My favorite guitar

Im between these two..

I love the look and finish on a natural american standard tele. The purple G&L I thought looked kind of tacky, but it was fantastic to play.

Show your FAV GUITAR...-img_0690.jpg
Show your FAV GUITAR...-img_8435.jpg
Old 29th April 2013
  #346
Lives for gear
Is the purple a little hazy?
Old 29th April 2013
  #347
Here for the gear
 

This is by far my fav - and my very first electric guitar. Bought in 82, a 77 LPC. Paid $300 for it.

Old 29th April 2013
  #348
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bscenefilms View Post
This is by far my fav - and my very first electric guitar. Bought in 82, a 77 LPC. Paid $300 for it.

Are Gibsons really that good? I've heard they're overrated and it seems like they just add $500 to the price of all their guitars.
Old 29th April 2013
  #349
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk of Heaven View Post
Are Gibsons really that good? I've heard they're overrated and it seems like they just add $500 to the price of all their guitars.
(FWIW, I never buy for resale)

I paid $300 for it used. Best $300 I have ever spent. Easily the best guitar I own and worth much more than what I paid. But... Gibbys are expensive. For me, what is on the headstock is not the determining factor. It's more about how the instrument feels/sounds and if I bond with it or not.

If you like the Gibson line but it is out of your price range, Epiphone has some incredible instruments at reasonable prices - Older Tokai and Burny (the old lawsuit series of Gibby copies) also have amazing instruments that you can get for reasonable prices.

The trick is to get into a store and start trying them. Find one that speaks to you.
Old 30th April 2013
  #350
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bscenefilms View Post
(FWIW, I never buy for resale)

I paid $300 for it used. Best $300 I have ever spent. Easily the best guitar I own and worth much more than what I paid. But... Gibbys are expensive. For me, what is on the headstock is not the determining factor. It's more about how the instrument feels/sounds and if I bond with it or not.

If you like the Gibson line but it is out of your price range, Epiphone has some incredible instruments at reasonable prices - Older Tokai and Burny (the old lawsuit series of Gibby copies) also have amazing instruments that you can get for reasonable prices.

The trick is to get into a store and start trying them. Find one that speaks to you.
They aren't really out of my price range or anything. I see cheap Gibsons on Craigslist all the time (thought not as cheap as you got it). I'm just uncertain about them.
Old 30th April 2013
  #351
Lives for gear
You can always opt for a custom build made just for you with your choice of woods and such, at a price way below some generic name brand assembly line guitar. I have been using Carvin customs for many years and the reasons for that have only increased over the years.
You can always change pickups to suit a more custom or traditional tone as an electric guitar is much more pickups than anything else. I've had them made with exotic tone woods and really it is a lot more to the pickups if you want to change a guitar.

I've built their kit guitar as well which has been the best Strat I have ever played with an ebony fingerboard no less.
Name brand guitars are way over priced, $5000 for a decent LP, ridiculous, low bucks for a used dog hammered "aged" guitar, I'd rather have a new virgin build. I am not into used or "vintage" just seems ridiculous to me to pay for wear and tear. I think a fundamental point is lost on the desire for treasured old classics, point one those guitars were new back in the golden age of their legendary tones. Point 2 pickups, fret wear, dry wood and wear are not going to sound like they did 50 years ago.
To each his own. I like new. Whether it's houses, cars, clothes, women or guitars.
Old 30th April 2013
  #352
Lives for gear
 
allphourus's Avatar
 

If you say it's the best 300 dollars you ever spent so be it, Wouldn't try to tell you other wise. Also be advised I'm not any kind of Gibson authority, so I might not have a clue as to what I'm about too ask. I see a neck on this guitar that looks all wrong for a Custom. Three piece neck with a fingerboard that looks lighter than rosewood, looks like it's worn through a layer of veneer in spots ( I've never seen that kind of wear on a Gibson neck no matter what material it was constructed of ) and should be made of Ebony. Also that inlay on the Headstock doesn't look right, Offset on one side. Could this be a fake? Can others here who Know more than I weigh in on this? I'm not trying to burst your bubble If it's your favorite Guitar and you love it, It most likely is, that's fine with me, But just doesn't look right to me.
Old 30th April 2013
  #353
Lives for gear
Acute observations. Makes sense. That has wear like the finish on an old maple fingerboard, never knew Gibson used anything but Rosewood and Ebony.
Old 3rd May 2013
  #354
Gear Maniac
 
Ward Boss's Avatar
 

1965 Silvertone 1454 with 3 DeArmond single coil pickups and a Bigsby vibrato, just tuned up with a new bridge

Old 3rd May 2013
  #355
Gear Maniac
 
Ward Boss's Avatar
 

Love the Tokai LP copies and also the LP Custom with the maple neck! Very distinctive.
Old 3rd May 2013
  #356
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allphourus View Post
If you say it's the best 300 dollars you ever spent so be it, Wouldn't try to tell you other wise. Also be advised I'm not any kind of Gibson authority, so I might not have a clue as to what I'm about too ask. I see a neck on this guitar that looks all wrong for a Custom. Three piece neck with a fingerboard that looks lighter than rosewood, looks like it's worn through a layer of veneer in spots ( I've never seen that kind of wear on a Gibson neck no matter what material it was constructed of ) and should be made of Ebony. Also that inlay on the Headstock doesn't look right, Offset on one side. Could this be a fake? Can others here who Know more than I weigh in on this? I'm not trying to burst your bubble If it's your favorite Guitar and you love it, It most likely is, that's fine with me, But just doesn't look right to me.
Gibson certified it. It has a maple fretboard. So the wear is much like what you would see on a Fender maple board. The 3 piece neck is common for Norlin era LPs (of which this is one).

Gibson made VERY few of these. They did NOT sell very well. People wanted an ebony FB on the custom - not maple. I prefer a maple FB so this was perfect for me. $300 was because they could not move it.

Here is another one (in better shape than mine) found with a quick image search:



That one is super clean but not original with the speed knobs. You can see the 3 piece there as well as the maple FB with no visible wear.
Old 5th May 2013
  #357
Lives for gear
Doesn't hurt the play-ability and if you like old guitars its sort of comes with the territory. As long as the frets are not worn doesn't matter.
I like new myself.
Old 14th June 2013
  #358
Gear Maniac
 
dergit's Avatar
 

I may have posted her in here but I'm in love. It's a PRS 25th Anniversary McCarty 10 Top.

Old 14th June 2013
  #359
Gear Maniac
 
deweyhoser's Avatar
 

All of these to choose and the epiphones get the play, $350 each and just stupid good.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-20130609_194249.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-20130416_013548.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-20130522_200549.jpg  
Old 15th June 2013
  #360
Gear Maniac
 
Schneider's Avatar
 

not mine but my uncle's les paul deluxe; mini humbuckers and I think its from around '84
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-imageuploadedbygearslutz1371327149.251781.jpg  
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump