The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show your FAV GUITAR...
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sys700 View Post
Rose Morris imported Rickenbacker guitars into the UK from 1964 through 1967 or so. They asked for an f-hole instead of the typical Rickenbacker slash, because they were into the Gretsch look at the time. When Pete Townshend and others started playing them, demand grew in the US for similar models, so a (very) few were made for the domestic market and labeled "special". Here's a list of the models that were available:

Interesting, I like the f holes better than the slash.

VP
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear
I am not comfortable playing some shapes of some guitars, many are a little too odd and big for my tastes. I never stray too far from the traditional LP or Strat shape and I like Gibson or Fender looking pickups. I am sure many have cool tones but I am stuck on what feels good to me.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

1968 Messenger

Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
I only have one bass.......

I have this EB-3L.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

I reckon my favorite is this 1967 Epiphone Riviera.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear
How are the frets holding up on the older guitars, are you having them redone or dressed??
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Nut

Anyone of these three.

Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag101 View Post

Nice!
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
How are the frets holding up on the older guitars, are you having them redone or dressed??
Almost all of my guitars are over thirty five years old. The frets on all of them are good. I always look for well maintained examples. Whenever I need fret work I get it done. So far I haven't had to.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandjuno6 View Post
I have this EB-3L.
Is that long scale? I have an SG Bass Reissue that is 30" scale, perfect for me, I am primarily a 6 stringer.
VP
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Is that long scale? I have an SG Bass Reissue that is 30" scale, perfect for me, I am primarily a 6 stringer.
VP
It is 34.5" scale.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Almost all of my guitars are over thirty five years old. The frets on all of them are good. I always look for well maintained examples. Whenever I need fret work I get it done. So far I haven't had to.
Interesting, I have been wondering that as I do not have or have never obtained an older guitar. I have one around 12 years old now and it has a few bad spots under the 3rd string on the lower frets. Nothing bad that warrants a rework or a file dressing and that sort of thing really scares me as to finding someone good enough to do it. I do not really trust the references guitar center suggests.

I still have yet to really get the whole vintage thing. I prefer new myself and the ability to select the woods and most parts. Seems a bit of a mythical notion to pay so much for an old guitar as it seems one is chasing something that cannot really be had. An old guitar was new at the time of all the legendary lore surrounding it and one these days is just not the same from age, wood drying, component age and degrade and even magnet degradation over time. It cannot be the same and if you refurbish things isn't that making it "new"??
I've always wanted a Les Paul but I cannot see all the bucks for the old ones, the new ones are over priced as it is.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Interesting, I have been wondering that as I do not have or have never obtained an older guitar. I have one around 12 years old now and it has a few bad spots under the 3rd string on the lower frets. Nothing bad that warrants a rework or a file dressing and that sort of thing really scares me as to finding someone good enough to do it. I do not really trust the references guitar center suggests.

I still have yet to really get the whole vintage thing. I prefer new myself and the ability to select the woods and most parts. Seems a bit of a mythical notion to pay so much for an old guitar as it seems one is chasing something that cannot really be had. An old guitar was new at the time of all the legendary lore surrounding it and one these days is just not the same from age, wood drying, component age and degrade and even magnet degradation over time. It cannot be the same and if you refurbish things isn't that making it "new"??
I've always wanted a Les Paul but I cannot see all the bucks for the old ones, the new ones are over priced as it is.
I agree with you. I only dress my frets when the strings start to buzz bad, if it aint broke dont fix it. Neil Young never does anything to his frets.

VP
Old 25th September 2012
My favorites, Can't pick one depends on the sound I want
Smartwood exotic is light and thin and somewhere between an LP and SG. The LP is an LP
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear
"You don't have to buy and play old guitars if you don't want to. Nor do you have to "get it". Ultimately you should buy and play the guitars that you personally like and enjoy."
Ain't that the truth.
Some guys like fat chicks w huge asses.
Whatever floats your canoe.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

The Smartwood is gorgeous... I wanted to get one of those for a long time but eventually got a good deal on their studio in worn brown.

I go back and forth during song writing a lot but end up recording mostly with this simple beauty. Just a plain PRS Standard 22:

Old 25th September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dergit View Post
The Smartwood is gorgeous... I wanted to get one of those for a long time but eventually got a good deal on their studio in worn brown.
Thanks!
The Smartwood has a Chancharana top and a Curupay fingerboard. It's about half as thin as a regular LP and has a belly cut so it's really light by comparison.

pretty soon she'll be sixteen but still plays very well, the only thing I had to do was get a fret dressing about a year ago. Other than that all original, I figured if it aint broke, don't try to fix it
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Posse View Post
Thanks!
The Smartwood has a Chancharana top and a Curupay fingerboard. It's about half as thin as a regular LP and has a belly cut so it's really light by comparison.

pretty soon she'll be sixteen but still plays very well, the only thing I had to do was get a fret dressing about a year ago. Other than that all original, I figured if it aint broke, don't try to fix it
Sweet finish, man the grain in that is beautiful. First I have ever heard of those woods, another thing I like about this site, always running across something new.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
"You don't have to buy and play old guitars if you don't want to. Nor do you have to "get it". Ultimately you should buy and play the guitars that you personally like and enjoy."
Ain't that the truth.
Some guys like fat chicks w huge asses.
Whatever floats your canoe.
I actually like fairly large women. Though I don't care for disproportionate buttocks. I also like large archtop guitars.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
I actually like fairly large women. Though I don't care for disproportionate buttocks. I also like large archtop guitars.
I could deal w a 335 once in a while but for the most part I stay close to the standard Strat and LP type. I am afraid I am a little conservative on guitar shapes and looks but as you say it is what works for me and feels good. I still have to laugh at really huge guitars, hard too look cool playing one. How about one of those baritone mexican classics? I fell in love w the Strat and the LP look early in my youth and I never liked the look of others. Had a V one time, it was OK. Seems like I always go back to the Strat plus I have the tones and use worked out well on it.

I still think as pretty as Kim Kardash is, she has circus freak ass.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

I deleted and changed my post a few times because your post actually made me think hard about why I actually do like and play old guitars. Until now I never really thought about it. Nor was it something that I just all of a sudden decided to do. Like many people who play guitar, I suppose, I just looked for guitars I liked and wanted to play. But I have been interested in and fascinated by old guitars, especially models that aren't being made anymore, from reading George Gruhn's Rare Bird columns and Dan Forte's Off The Wall columns in Guitar Player magazines in the 1970s through the early 1990s. I just thought some of those guitars looked really cool, kooky, and different. Some just looked nice. And whenever I walk into a music store, usually not Guitar Center, the first thing I look for is the old guitars. I also look on Craigslist occasionally. But I am only willing to buy the most all original yet well cared for and maintained examples that are truly playable musical instruments such as my 1967 Epiphone Riviera.

All things considered, most old guitars, even the well cared for and maintained playable examples, are not incredibly expensive. The ones that can command as much or more than a new car are the cleanest and most all original early examples of the most recognizable Fenders and Gibson solidbodies. Most of the rest, even in clean all original condition in good playing order, tend to cost around about the same as, a little bit more than, or sometimes a little bit more than a brand new non-import one. And I am only speaking of Fenders, Gretsches, and Gibsons. Though many perfectly fine playable 1970s Baldwin-era Gretsches can sometimes cost less than a brand new one. Old Guild guitars rarely cost more than their most recent versions. There are also lots of 1970s Japanese guitars from the copy era and post copy era that are fairly inexpensive. Mid to late 1970s Electra guitars are good examples. So are many Yamaha guitars from that era. Early 1980s Peavey guitars can still be found for less than and sometimes considerably less than $500.

Another thing to keep in mind is that things like refrets and changed tuners can lower the "value" of an older guitar. Some "collectors" will pass on guitars with those things done to them. But this is actually good for a person who is actually going to play it because you can get good deals on guitars that have had refrets or changed tuners. And if you don't care about an old guitar looking all original you can find some very good deals on heavily modified older guitars. But it is always best to buy an older guitar because you intend on playing and keeping it. A heavily modified older guitar can sometimes be hard to sell.

Ultimately a good guitar should be a playable musical instrument, new or old. It is definitely much more convenient to buy new and recent since older guitars can sometimes be difficult to track down. But if you have the patience and determination to hunt for playable older guitars you can get some nice ones.
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Head

Heritage guitars have always done right by me. Probably my two favorites - a 2002 H575 and a 2008 H140 chambered. Gorgeous sounding guitars.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-img_5416.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-img_5417.jpg  
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
I deleted and changed my post a few times because your post actually made me think hard about why I actually do like and play old guitars. Until now I never really thought about it. Nor was it something that I just all of a sudden decided to do. Like many people who play guitar, I suppose, I just looked for guitars I liked and wanted to play. But I have been interested in and fascinated by old guitars, especially models that aren't being made anymore, from reading George Gruhn's Rare Bird columns and Dan Forte's Off The Wall columns in Guitar Player magazines in the 1970s through the early 1990s. I just thought some of those guitars looked really cool, kooky, and different. Some just looked nice. And whenever I walk into a music store, usually not Guitar Center, the first thing I look for is the old guitars. I also look on Craigslist occasionally. But I am only willing to buy the most all original yet well cared for and maintained examples that are truly playable musical instruments such as my 1967 Epiphone Riviera.

All things considered, most old guitars, even the well cared for and maintained playable examples, are not incredibly expensive. The ones that can command as much or more than a new car are the cleanest and most all original early examples of the most recognizable Fenders and Gibson solidbodies. Most of the rest, even in clean all original condition in good playing order, tend to cost around about the same as, a little bit more than, or sometimes a little bit more than a brand new non-import one. And I am only speaking of Fenders, Gretsches, and Gibsons. Though many perfectly fine playable 1970s Baldwin-era Gretsches can sometimes cost less than a brand new one. Old Guild guitars rarely cost more than their most recent versions. There are also lots of 1970s Japanese guitars from the copy era and post copy era that are fairly inexpensive. Mid to late 1970s Electra guitars are good examples. So are many Yamaha guitars from that era. Early 1980s Peavey guitars can still be found for less than and sometimes considerably less than $500.

Another thing to keep in mind is that things like refrets and changed tuners can lower the "value" of an older guitar. Some "collectors" will pass on guitars with those things done to them. But this is actually good for a person who is actually going to play it because you can get good deals on guitars that have had refrets or changed tuners. And if you don't care about an old guitar looking all original you can find some very good deals on heavily modified older guitars. But it is always best to buy an older guitar because you intend on playing and keeping it. A heavily modified older guitar can sometimes be hard to sell.

Ultimately a good guitar should be a playable musical instrument, new or old. It is definitely much more convenient to buy new and recent since older guitars can sometimes be difficult to track down. But if you have the patience and determination to hunt for playable older guitars you can get some nice ones.

I dig what you're saying, I get it really. I am one of those guys who would prefer a new Corvette SR than an older or restored car. I dig the looks on them, but prefer to drive the newbies. Hulk like shinny. There is something about having a virgin guitar that only I have adjusted and broke in that has a magic for me. The best ever was the kit I build adding all sorts of goodies, probably zero resale value but priceless to me.
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
I dig what you're saying, I get it really. I am one of those guys who would prefer a new Corvette SR than an older or restored car. I dig the looks on them, but prefer to drive the newbies. Hulk like shinny. There is something about having a virgin guitar that only I have adjusted and broke in that has a magic for me. The best ever was the kit I build adding all sorts of goodies, probably zero resale value but priceless to me.
I agree, my dozen guitars were all bought new by me. I can appreciate that all of their history belongs to me.

VP
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I probably think about the previous owners of my guitars about as often as I think about the previous owners of my house which was built in 1959. All but one of my guitars was previously owned by somebody else. I only know the previous owners of a couple of my guitars. My only thoughts about my guitars are which one I am going to play next. Though I have played some old acoustics that to my ears sounded like they had ghosts in them. It was really just their resonant properties.

Although I have older guitars most of them are not really expensive super "collectible" guitars. Though, at least in my opinion, anything is collectible when somebody decides to collect it. A good example is my Peavey T-60 and my Silvertone, Kay, Alvarez, and S Yairi acoustics, and Danelectro-made Silvertone electrics. They are just all but the Peavey over forty years old. And my Guild, Gretsch, and some of my Gibson hollowbodies cost about the same as or a little less than they would be or still are brand new. Several of my guitars are no longer being made by their manufacturers such as my Gibson ES-325, ES-150, and EB-3L bass. My EB-3L bass cost several hundred dollars less than a new SG bass. The way I was able to accumulate the money to buy my most expensive guitars was to sell off some Airline, Supro, National, and Danelectro guitars that I bought when they were cheap and was able to sell for a profit. Many of those lower end old guitars were bought when I sold off a large 1970s effects collection which I also bought cheap when I found them in pawnshops.

Generally, when I am looking for older guitars I am looking for the cleanest, maintained, and playable examples. The beat up worn out ones which supposedly contain "mojo" usually need work which I don't know how to do myself to get them in good playable condition. I pass on them. Ultimately I buy all guitars to play them. Occasionally though, I find good deals on a guitar that has a well worn finish with plenty of scratches and nicks and some paint missing or some minor modifications that still has good frets and perfectly functioning electronics and is a good playable musical instrument. One of them is a Silvertone 1448, the amplifier in the case model, that was previously owned and played almost exclusively by a somewhat known punk/rockabilly musician in the 1980s. It has a lot of finish missing all the way down the neck in a way that could only happen if it was played all the time. Surprisingly the frets held up over time. Though it might have been refretted at some time. The tuners are changed and the cork bridge was replaced with a brass one. One of the knobs is changed. And it is the only Silvertone 1448 I have ever seen that somebody took the time to put strap locks on. I have owned and played lots of Danelectros and Silvertones but this one is by far the best one I have ever played.
Old 11th October 2012
Old 12th October 2012
Gear Head

My Prototype Breedlove Electric

I love this guitar!Chambered body fast unfinished neck Lolar P90’s very light weight & resonates & sustains forever!
I bought it from a friend of mine who worked for Breedlove it has no serial # or model # took me 3 years to talk him into selling it to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-dsc_4332.jpg  
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantraSky View Post
So what is this??? What a jewel!!
Old 12th October 2012
Here for the gear

These are my favorite guitars.
A Gibson Les Paul 1959 reissue from 2001 and a Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 from 2004.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P6800 mit Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Show your FAV GUITAR...-uploadfromtaptalk1350050039497.jpg   Show your FAV GUITAR...-uploadfromtaptalk1350050360594.jpg  
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
So what is this??? What a jewel!!
Looks like a Pensa-Suhr. Is it?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search