The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fender Mustang Amps, what do we think??
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Was in at my retailer thinking of picking up a little (under 15 watt) valve combo for live and studio recording, something that would breakup nicely.
The store guy brought out a couple of Vox's, an orange, a marshall, and then started telling me about this new DSP Fender amp, to which I scoffed slightly....
Nevertheless he brought out the little 20 watt combo and I plugged in.
What can I say but it sounded the best of all of them, was less than 1/3 the price, and weighed nothing at all! And I find it comes in a range of watt and speaker sizes as well as stereo, and that the presets and FX can be customized, saved, swapped traded etc.
I am now VERY tempted for a little over $500 to pickup a stereo 12" 150watt Mustang 4 to play around with, maybe gig with, and use in the studio as a 'Micable' alternative to Amplitube and guitar rig etc.

Anyone used these yet, heard about them??

New Fender

Fender Mustang Practice Amp In Store Demo - Nevada Music UK - YouTube
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

It's a good amp for sure but it's solid
State. Won't sound nearly as rich as a full tube amp.

You really liked that over the vox tubes? Did you try an AC15??

I'm afraid your recordings may sound thin and tinny using a valve amp... But I may be wrong, I usually am
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
For recording, I don't see the point of the Mustang amps. Basically you're getting the same quality of DSP that you'd get using AmpFarm or Revalver or similar. If you've already got the software, no benefit at all, and if you don't you'll get more variety and flexibility from Revalver than from a Fender digital amp.

If you're playing out, and you want 150 SS watts and 212 speakers, it'd be a better choice than an older Line6 or Johnson and pretty cheap. That said, if I were playing out with SS gear, I'd go with Tech21, at least it's analog!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you want a small Fender Tube amp for recording, check out the Princeton Recording. The one witht the built in power soak. At high levels of attenuation it's a little unnaturally squishy, but overall, it's a pretty successful integration of probably the most recorded amp of all time (the Princeton Reverb was used by everyone from Jeff Beck to Tommy Tedesco) with a recording friendly attenuator.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1 View Post
For recording, I don't see the point of the Mustang amps. Basically you're getting the same quality of DSP that you'd get using AmpFarm or Revalver or similar. If you've already got the software, no benefit at all, and if you don't you'll get more variety and flexibility from Revalver than from a Fender digital amp.

If you're playing out, and you want 150 SS watts and 212 speakers, it'd be a better choice than an older Line6 or Johnson and pretty cheap. That said, if I were playing out with SS gear, I'd go with Tech21, at least it's analog!
Was thinking mainly for live, but for studio for a couple of reasons....
I can actually mic the thing up, IN STEREO, it's actually very cost effective compared with some plugins, and it takes up no processing power from my computer, no latency issues etc.
I am usually a valve or nothing guy when it comes to guitar amps, I've never been into SS and apart from some FX am not a fan of emulation, DSP or anything else that isn't pure analog.
But what can i say, I don't want to fall into the expectational bias, this amp purely did sound astonishingly good, and it was only the 8" 20 watt combo.
I have to go back to the store tomorrow and will use the opportunity to try it out again, and when back in stock will also try the bigger 100 watt brother, but yeah.... DSP, go figure!
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleraudio View Post
It's a good amp for sure but it's solid
State. Won't sound nearly as rich as a full tube amp.
I would've thought so too, if I hadn't directly compared it to 4 all valve amps.
Mind you, the closest was the Fender Blues junior, I think the quality of the speakers was much higher than the vox cab I was running the others through.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I used a mustang head and cab while recording lead guitar in my band. For one song. Turned out to give us a pretty sweet sound. I wouldn't use it for anything else, if a tube was around. But I can see it working for some genres/players.
Old 12th September 2011
The rhythm guitarist in my band uses one. It's pretty nice, can do a variety, but doesn't beat a tube.

It's a good price point though
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Couple of hours and I'll play it again and report back!
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

So what's the verdict? You've got me wanting to try one now for studio use!

Ac15 just too damn loud for an apartment

Jim
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

The verdict is, I went into the store and they'd sold it already....
Couldn't believe it. I know the guys down there, they told me that no more than 2 people have played one of those amps without buying it. I was the first (on the 20 watt one) and the 2nd guy bought it the next day.
$180 for the 20 watter, it's a no brainer. Under $500 for the 100 watt....
I just got a job part time at that retailer, so as soon as they get new stock I'm taking advantage of staff discount!
Except I want the Mustang 4 2x12 in stereo!
Old 15th September 2011
Man, are you sure you want this amp? I mean, did you really listen to it's tone without the effects? I like some SS, like a Roland JC or something...but this?

I fear you may get it, and when the novelty of the efx wears off, you will regret not getting a nice tube amp, and using external effects.

There are TONS of nice tube amps for low money now.

If you can save, and efx is what you really want, check out the Bogner Alchemist or something. I know it's different, but I think you will be happier.

Don't get the Line 6 version though, with the Bogner tube preamp. Hated it.

Just a thought,
john

ps: Wait, is this the Mustang II thing?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Tons of inexpensive tube amps? Please tell me more

I'm looking at a vox ac30 but that is 1000 bux...

Any other ideas? I want nice cleans but also pretty overdrive vox fits that bill quite well!

Jim
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Newton, I'm not after efx, it's a modelling amp.
There is no way to listen without the modelling/emulations, they are the sound.
All I had the amp set to was a 56 deluxe model and had it lined up with 5 little valve amps.
The thing kicked ass, I don't even like the whole modeling emulation thing. AT ALL!!
But it sounded great, so who am I to snob at it.
I don't want efx, or to spend alot of money. For the price I could easily get a 20 watt mustang, and whatever valve amp I like.
I mean what's $180, even if it did only turn out to be a toy??
Your average video game costs $100.
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

I would go for it. If you like the sound, that's all that matters. It would be weird to find an amp that you really like the sound of and then not use it because "it is solid state" or whatever.

I find that amp modelling really struggles with modelling apeakers and space properly. So an amp modeller that goes directly into a speaker that you can then mike has the potential to sound great and be very usable.
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear
they're fine beginner amps for the money; as you move up or start gigging, you'll want a better amp. Great for bedroom practicing.
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post
Man, are you sure you want this amp? I mean, did you really listen to it's tone without the effects? I like some SS, like a Roland JC or something...but this?
The question is, have YOU listened to this amp before commenting?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefgat View Post
The question is, have YOU listened to this amp before commenting?
The REAL question is why did you resurrect a three-year-old thread to ask a question that is probably moot after all of this time?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

I loved mine but it was $100. mine has USB and connected to the internet to download patches.
in the end I sold it even though it was "Handy" now Im faced with a very loud 2x12 tube amp for recording and I use it less and less because its so loud (18 watts)

I say get one used then sell if you dont like.

They are verrrrry fun if you like software and you can stack your own stomp boxes then save them to the mustang.

very very fun, ok not really realistic.
I watched trailer park boys and the guitar player from rush back stage had a modeling amp.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

I bought the 15 watter when it first came out, just for an easily portable practice amp, and for that it's great, with a wide variety of easily adjustable tones and effects.

But while It has a nice fender clean patch that gets closer to a 3d fender tone thatn my hellhound, none of the other patches come close imo to any tube amps and pedals run thru tube amps that I've ever owned or played.

But I got mine for $80 on sale, so for that price it was wirth it for what I use it for.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search