The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Taylor 414ce Hiss? 500 Series Preamps
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Taylor 414ce Hiss?

Hey guys - so I just plugged in my 414's expression system for the first time in ages today... normally I only use it at the studio and just mic it. But thinking about using it at a gig tomorrow. Anyway, there is some hiss in the signal. Nothing too brutal but I'd like to see about getting rid of it. Guitar is hooked up direct to an API 312 DI that is known to be working and silent with other situations.

When I touch the (metal) jacket on the TS cable it goes silent. I've encountered this with hums/buzzes before but was surprised to see that solution with a hiss. I have, in the past, made guitar players tie a spare guitar string around the jack and then tuck it in their waistband, to maintain the contact.

We're videotaping our show tomorrow, and I'm also switching between guitar and piano per-song, so the string-to-buttcheek solution isn't so ideal - aesthetically or practically. The hiss is not too strong - I might just live with it.

Any thoughts though?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

If a new battery doesn't stop it, then there may be a problem with the system. I had one Taylor T5 that hissed..I had another 854 with ES..totally silent. I always thought there was something wrong with the T5, but sold it soon after getting it.
L.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Tried fresh batteries. Although the T5's don't use the expression system do they? Thought that was more of a hollow-body electric design (or is it solid?).

Anyway, the hiss isn't very loud against the signal level, so it's probably fine. I just thought it was telling that the hiss goes silent when I touch the casing (presumably grounding the ground with my body....) - surely this must lead one of you gurus to an "ah-ha" moment, no?

Thanks!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

The T5 seems to be a variation of the ES system...I suspect it uses the same pre design...they just use a different pickup config.
L.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search