The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is the "Neve" of Bass Guitar Combo Amps?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

What is the "Neve" of Bass Guitar Combo Amps?

Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of learning to play bass.
I have my eye on a Pre-CBS Fender P-Bass, that part I know will be fine

I know nothing about the world of bass amps,
From what I've researched, read and personally experienced,
The "holy grail" is the huge Ampeg SVT stack.

I really don't need something like that,
I'm thinking a combo amp.

As far as the kind of sound I want,
Adam Clayton of U2 is what I'm looking for,
But in a combo amp.

So what is the "Neve 1073" or "Vox AC30" (aka the Holy Grail) of combo bass amps?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ampeg B15
Old 5th September 2011
SVT, B15, or a good direct cover most things...
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the quick replies!
Will check out the Ampeg B15.

Another option is similar to what Rob mentioned.
I know someone that plays primarily bass but does a lot of studio production.
He doesn't even own a bass amp anymore,

He plugs his bass DI into a Neve 1073 -> 1176 compressor -> DAW and monitors through his Dynaudio speakers.

Would that be a viable option as well if I'm doing primarily studio production?
PS: I do have the Neve 1073 and 1176 would monitoring through speakers such as the Dynaudio or Mackie HR824 do it?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac
Like everyone said, Ampeg B 15 flip top. I am also using an A Designs REDDI tube Direct box that is amazing, I'm getting enough gain out of it that I dont even need a pre amp. I only mention it because supposedly the circuitry is designed after a B 15. Dont know for sure, but that is what I have heard.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

SVT for heavy music.

B15 for not heavy music.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan jetter View Post
SVT for heavy music.

B15 for not heavy music.
+1. I had a band in here last month and the bassist brought his blue line SVT and 8x10 cab (!!). They were a pretty heavy band, and that was probably the best bass sound for loud music that I've ever heard. It had tons of high end, so it was beautifully clear, but not at all tinny. It..may or may not have blown one of my custom API channels when he took it off standby before I got a chance to put the pad on..

That thing sounded amazing though. I do love a B-15 though and it's much more suited for stuff I recording more often (ie. stuff less heavy than metal, more indie rock, folk, folk rock, etc.) and it's one I hope to own someday. You really can't go wrong with a P-Bass into a B15. Hell, I'll say you can't go wrong with a Fender into a vintage Ampeg (strat into my '66 Reverberocket II is smooth heaven).
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Bass into DW Fearn VT3, the XLR out into a padded and hard driven 1073, and the direct-thru goes to a hard driven Ampeg B15 [maybe replace the speaker with a reaaally fancy Celestion or Weber or whatever, must be ferrite speaker, not alnico or neodymium], appropriately mic'd [neumann TLM 170 in cardioid, pad engaged, pretty close to speaker, central if not completely centered], to another padded hard driven 1073, to a little labs IBP to dial in phase coherence with DI'd signal

that would be the 'Neve' of bass guitar combo amp setups
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Only problem with the ampeg combos is they end up in the shop way too often!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well Clayton uses Ashdown amps in his live rig, ABM 900 EVO II heads, among others.

Guessing the ABM C115H-500 EVO III Combo (1x15), or the (2x10 version) the ABM C210H-500 EVO III Combo should get you there.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndog328 View Post
Well Clayton uses Ashdown amps in his live rig, ABM 900 EVO II heads, among others.

Guessing the ABM C115H-500 EVO III Combo (1x15), or the (2x10 version) the ABM C210H-500 EVO III Combo should get you there.
Nowdays he use Aguilar amps and cabs.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

oh and direct and micd signal need to go to the same converter box, ie the same digi 192, or else youll have small clocking discrepancies between signals and phase problems

same deal as with drum setups, all drum mics need to go to the same digi 192 or whatever interface. or at the very least the 2 kick mics share the same converter, snare over/under share same converter, overheads, rooms, etc.

you get the idea.

if it all seems like too much theres always a line 6 pod and UAD studer 800.

i kid.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Call me crazy, but I really like the sound of old Bassman amps on the instrument they were actually designed for. I especially have a thing for blondes.

It definitely won't get you the U2 bass sound though. But that wouldn't be the Neve of bass amps anyway...more like the SSL.heh
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Call me crazy, but I really like the sound of old Bassman amps on the instrument they were actually designed for.
wait theres like a bassman reissue from fender, its 4 ten-inch speakers, like 40 watts, right? tube rectified, the big blond square shaped guitar combo amp? 'fender '59 bassman LTD' its called as a reissue. [not talking about the new blond 'bassman' branded fender bass combos]

that guitar amp's not viable as a bass amp, is it?

you're talking the old school equipment from the 60s, right?
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Call me crazy, but I really like the sound of old Bassman amps on the instrument they were actually designed for. I especially have a thing for blondes.

It definitely won't get you the U2 bass sound though. But that wouldn't be the Neve of bass amps anyway...more like the SSL.heh
I actually bought my silverface Bassman 50 because I needed a bass amp and really wanted something that could work for guitar too. I really like it for clean guitar on the "normal" channel, and for bass on the "bass instrument" channel. For guitar it's very clean, lots of headroom but gets a really nice sound with humbuckers. On bass it's clean without being sterile. Sounds very different with different cabs though, which I like. I have two cabs I built, a 4x10 and 1x12, and both sound nice but different.

About the '59 Reissue, I actually LOVE that on guitar, and would have gotten that instead of the silverface if my needs weren't leaning more responsibly toward needing a bass amp. The RI sounds beautiful on guitar, to me it's just one of those "this is how this is supposed to sound" pieces. I liked it on bass too, but I also like bass through my '66 Ampeg Reverberocket - for a lot of music, my own included, I like bass sounds that don't have MASSIVE low end. So if you're in the same situation, the RI might work for you for bass too, but I know other bass players who just like that clean modern massive sound.
Old 6th September 2011
Fender STUDIO BASS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqX9Zbyr4to

Hmmm,

SWR SM400 or 900 & a 2x12

The SWR BLONDE

The EBS GORM with 2x12 (this is a combo)

Old skool I'd say KUSTOM. Get a nice tuck 'n roll bascombo.
Gibson had some really crasy big bass amps. They are forgotten these days. But they are worth saving and are CRASY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH_CoUn6YSg

I really dig the VHT 6 watt with closed 1x12 on bass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2e9I7Fqpu4

The Dynacord Bassking I is a nice tube amp (50 watts) wich does all the above in the studio.
It will need servicing. Allso the outputs of the thing will need modifying.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Fender precision basses record very well and sound fabulous. A Manley Voxbox should also feature into the set up along with the any of the above amps and cabinets (I prefer a 1 x 15 inch speaker).
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout and a set of flatwounds should sound rather Claytonian...
Old 6th September 2011
I've had b15's and svt stacks. The ampeg rocket bass B50R is the ****! A single 15" speaker 50 watts solid state and records really well.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

you should learn to play bass on a short scale bass. hofner beatle bass, gibson SG bass, gretsch thunder jet bass, fender mustang bass. 30 inches instead of 34" scale length. you'll learn faster and get better faster, get that basic competency faster -- then 6 months later buy the 34" scale length bass like a P Bass (or whatever)
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

i had my first experience with a "mark bass" rig... not sure on the colour but this thing is nice..

tad bit big and loud but never seen these before...

jim
Attached Thumbnails
What is the "Neve" of Bass Guitar Combo Amps?-dsc_0240.jpg  
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut
Markbass amps are nice for not heavy too, an MB 112 combo (like a CMD151P) would be a fine replacement in place of a B15

Bergantino cabs are about as good as you can buy though, the NV610 blows away any Ampeg 810.

A LMIII on top of a Bergantino HT112ER is a tiny rig that will deliver massively on the tone front

As for amps then for tube the Sadowsky sa200 is something of a holy grail, or even a old Trace Elliot V range (nothing like their transistor range), and dont forget Matamp, if you can get hold of it, brutal all tube point to point wired amps.

Aguilar are fine too.

Depends if grit is integral tot the tone, if someone is after a super clean sound then something like a Markbass F1 is pretty excellent, but you may as well DI really.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Walter Woods amps are on the list of "Holy Grail" bass amps. Hand made with a couple year waiting list and very big bucks. The much cheaper Markbass amps are along those lines. Walter Woods may have the bigest stable of name recognizable bass players who actually bought his product as he didn't do the endorsement - give away - advertising thing every one else is up to. They are small and great in the studio but not really an economic reality. As a guy just starting out why not look at the talkbass forums and see what you can grab used for the sound you are seeking. Then if you don't progress on the bass you can resell the amp without much of a loss.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgimbel View Post
I actually bought my silverface Bassman 50 because I needed a bass amp and really wanted something that could work for guitar too.
A Hiwatt Dr103 is one of those amps as well. We mate ours with a 15" speaker and 8/10 times that rig is chosen over a Svt blue line rig we also own.
Old 7th September 2011
GSF
Gear Addict
Ampeg b12 or b15, end of story.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

I'd say go with Ampeg B15 as well.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Walter Woods amps are on the list of "Holy Grail" bass amps. Hand made with a couple year waiting list and very big bucks. The much cheaper Markbass amps are along those lines. Walter Woods may have the recording school of name recognizable recording bass players who actually bought his product as he didn't do the endorsement - give away - advertising thing every one else is up to. They are small and great in the recording studio but not really an economic reality. As a guy just starting out why not look at the talkbass forums and see what you can grab used for the sound you are seeking. Then if you don't progress on the bass you can resell the amp without much of a loss.

I have heard about the Walter Woods. Where do you get those?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

love the bassman as well.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

I've played bass since 1967 and tried just about every noteworthy bass
rig out there.

In today's market, the Reeves Custom 225 is not only the best built
with all hand wired, mil spec, old school Hiwatt DR-201 circuitry, but
also the richest sounding, most versatile bass and guitar amp out there.

Think of your favorite British bass players and you're there,
but it doesn't stop there because this amp is also amazing as
a guitar amp.

For weight management, the Amp Head and a separate 4X10 or 1X15 cab
is the way to go.

Quite expensive for a beginner, but you asked for the best.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search