The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The first string is broken over and over... Channel Strip Plugins
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

The first string is broken over and over...

Hello. I really want to check with you guys this problem I'm having here: for every tree sets of new guitar strings (ernie ball 2221) only one survives the expected amount of time based on the average usage.
The others two sets are broken within a week or even a day after being installed. I know, at this rate I have no future other than bankrupt.

So this is what happen: all is working beatifull until I notice:

1. The string in question (the first one) began to detune about a semitone. So I tune it back

2. Tuning it back solve the problem for a very few minutes, then it detunes again . So I tune it back

3. From here, it detunes a few more times.

4. Finally, I tune and strung one last time but the string explodes (literally).

So. I've take some pictures in order to be more graphical. Honestly, I discard the fact that the strings were faulty. I'm suspecting of the Tailpiece now. It looks somewhat corroded (?) so this produce some friction (?).

What do you think it could be causing this systematic broken strings routine? It is not that I'm a savage playing my guitar. And again: I know that if a string set pass the first week healthy, it will surive for sure the entire cycle of life as expected. Maybe it is the way in which I install the string which makes some friction with the tailpiece when is set in a determinated position (I mean, 45°; 90°, 270° whatever) ???

Here are the pictures:

Thanks in advance!
Old 3rd September 2011
There could be a few causes. It's important to wind your strings properly. Do a YouTube search. A lot of tuning problems are solved by this.

You may also have a bur on your bridge that's causing the breaks. There are tricks to fix this. YouTube it.

I doubt it's the strings. I sometimes get bad batches of strings but not that often.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I got it also one's and had 4 sets of strings all broken on the high E... There was a "fabrication error" and my dealer send back a complete box of them back. Got 4 sets + 1 for the problems free back. They work .

But indeed it could also be your guitar as told above to some searching about it.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Wow that's weird, I've never had a string break like that before. Not sure how to help but my guess would be friction with the bridge or a faulty batch. Maybe try sanding down the areas on the bridge that touch the string. Good luck
Old 3rd September 2011
Be careful how you sand it down as you don't want to create more sharp edges. Use an Emory cloth or tooth brush with toothpaste. It needs to be vert subtle.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Have you tried any other brands of string? I used to use Ernie Ball when I was younger but found they broke pretty often. Changed to Daddario and never had the same problem.
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for your replies, some facts:

1. It is not the way I wind my strings since I've used 'my way ' to do the job, and lately some techniques learned by well respected luthieres. Both failed.
2. It is not a bad batche since I've purchased strings at different stores at different seasons at different countries (unless I have all the bad luck in the world).

litepipe: when you say that I may have a bur in my bridge are you refering to the bridge (the one with the saddles) or to the tailpiece? Because the string is broken at the end (when it grasp the little golden dot - what's the name?) which goes inside the tailpiece, not at the contact with the saddle of the bridge. By the way, I used to have burs in the saddles, but yes, I've filed it down.

In regard to sanding down the areas on the bridge that touch the string, well, there is no bur as suggested, but as I see, it could be something inside de tailpiece, some bur there which is sharp and corroded? I mean, judging by the point from were it is broken....
Anyway, I've take two more pictures, from the front side. You'll see how the strings goes (maybe) too much over the top hole of the tailpiece, touching it, this is normal? With the bold strings the effect is more evident. The E, B, and G don't acuse this behavior that much, but, if you look closer, the strings (maybe) are touching the top edge... inside the tailpiece....

EDIT: I can't recall when was the last time I've used other brands. By now, I have 11 set left in my shelf... :(

Last edited by soyroca; 3rd September 2011 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: comment added.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Guru

Well short of also having part of that bad batch of strings, it does sound like
you might have a rough edge somewhere along the string.

While dressing the fret board, bridge, nut or saddle, you may want to tape off your pickups to prevent any metal dust from sticking to them.

Ignition files are good for very gentle file work.

0000 steel wool, you must tape off your electronics.

Sometimes, just a gentle household srubby might be just the right
amount of abrasive, but you still have to be careful not to scratch
adjacent areas.
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

are you tuning them to proper pitch? tuning them above pitch can put stress on them and break them.
Old 9th October 2011
Here for the gear

Broke Again! a few moments ago, but it is not so bad. I've played with the same set for over a month!!!! ha. damn...

They are in perfect pitch, there is no stress besides the fact that strings work that way.

I think this week I'll go to buy a new tailpiece just because I don't know what else to do.
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

Perhaps pose your question on Earnie Ball Forums
or email them about it.
They are a local company in California.
Old 9th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevoire520 View Post
Have you tried any other brands of string? I used to use Ernie Ball when I was younger but found they broke pretty often. Changed to Daddario and never had the same problem.
Same here -- also switched to D'Addario. Not having the problem any more.
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear
There's something weird about your guitar. If you look at the pics, all the strings are being pulled towards the bass side of the tailpiece, almost like the tailpiece and the bridge don't quite line up. Is this possible? The break angle of the strings from TP over the bridge looks fine.
Old 11th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyroca View Post
Hello. I really want to check with you guys this problem I'm having here: for every tree sets of new guitar strings (ernie ball 2221) only one survives the expected amount of time based on the average usage.
The others two sets are broken within a week or even a day after being installed. I know, at this rate I have no future other than bankrupt.

So this is what happen: all is working beatifull until I notice:

1. The string in question (the first one) began to detune about a semitone. So I tune it back

2. Tuning it back solve the problem for a very few minutes, then it detunes again . So I tune it back

3. From here, it detunes a few more times.

4. Finally, I tune and strung one last time but the string explodes (literally).

So. I've take some pictures in order to be more graphical. Honestly, I discard the fact that the strings were faulty. I'm suspecting of the Tailpiece now. It looks somewhat corroded (?) so this produce some friction (?).

What do you think it could be causing this systematic broken strings routine? It is not that I'm a savage playing my guitar. And again: I know that if a string set pass the first week healthy, it will surive for sure the entire cycle of life as expected. Maybe it is the way in which I install the string which makes some friction with the tailpiece when is set in a determinated position (I mean, 45°; 90°, 270° whatever) ???

Here are the pictures:

Thanks in advance!
Too sharp of a bridge break angle?Buy yourself a cheap soldering iron and some solder and solder the ball area of string.Pros have been doing this for years.Lots of pros feed the strings from the front of stop tailpiece with strings coming over top of stop.Less tension and better tone usually(if enuf neck angle for bridge pressure).Try it if don't like go back to old way.They are selling reinforced plain strings now.D'Adarrio etc..Why don't they make them right in the first place?Just solder them and be done with it!FYI if strings are set with too steep of angle over bridge,strings especially wrapped ones will be stressed mightily and will lose tone(wrap will stress)!My '96 LP Classic has to be strung with the stop wrapover or stop has to be raised way way up.Check for metal burr in stop tailpiece also!Do the wrap over and you'll be fine!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search